PDA

View Full Version : Today's A-Word-A-Day ...avigation

Ron Natalie
August 20th 03, 07:40 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message .. .
> http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/
>
> A-Word-A-Day is a FREE service that comes to my e-mail ...every day. Today's
> word is one I haven't heard of before - avigation.
>
> People participating in the Boy Scout / Gay marriage thread, please IGNORE
> the pronunciation guide :-)

I'm going to avigate over to the new Air and Space center to see the
exhibit on the Enola Homosexual.

Montblack
August 20th 03, 07:44 PM

--
Montblack

(Today's A-Word-A-Day some parts snipped)

avigation (av-i-GAY-shuhn) noun

Aerial navigation.

[Blend of avi- (bird) + navigation.]

"If the airport wins its point in a current lawsuit - in which the
airport's lawyers argue that it has acquired avigation easements over
neighboring homes, through historical use - what incentive would the
airport commission have to follow through with such an expensive
program?"
T.W. McGarry; Outlook is Bleak for Quieter Airport; The Los Angeles
Times;
Aug 28, 1988.

"The city would pay other affected residents for the right to fly more
planes over their property - or avigation easement rights."
Elizabeth Campbell and Laura Vozzella; Many Residents See Mesa As
Unwelcome Neighbor; Fort Worth Star-Telegram; May 5, 1997.

This week's theme: portmanteau or blend words.
Some fellows pay a compliment like they expected a receipt. -Kin Hubbard,
humorist (1868-1930)

Q: Tomorrow is my friend's birthday and I forgot to send her a gift. Help!
A: How about the gift of words?

vincent p. norris
August 21st 03, 02:32 AM
> Today's word is one I haven't heard of before - avigation.

That word's been around for many years. I think I first herd it
shortly after WW II.

It serves no useful purpose not served by "navigation" and thus has
been duly ignored.

vince norris

Dennis O'Connor
August 21st 03, 03:29 PM
So, aviation should be naviation, then?
Denny
"vincent p. norris" > wrote in message
> > Today's word is one I haven't heard of before - avigation.
>
> That word's been around for many years. I think I first herd it
> shortly after WW II.
>
> It serves no useful purpose not served by "navigation" and thus has
> been duly ignored.
>
> vince norris

vincent p. norris
August 22nd 03, 01:43 AM
>So, aviation should be naviation, then?
>Denny

Only for those who've earned the right to wear a pair of gold wings.

vince norris

Google