PDA

View Full Version : UK2 HK832 Fairchild 91 GSLeslieColl.jpg

Joseph Testagrose
October 6th 11, 12:35 PM

ŽiŠardo
October 7th 11, 08:06 PM
On 07/10/2011 15:42, DAN wrote:
> Man,how I would hate to go to war in a thing looking like this...

Luckily not many did!

The Fairchild 91 amphibian, designed by A.A.Gassner, was the result of a
requirement by Pan American Airways for an aircraft to work the internal
South American routes. Designated the Model A-942, it was of a mixed
metal and fabric construction with a high wing, and was powered by a 9
cylinder, Pratt & Whitney S2E-G Hornet engine developing 800 hp.

First flown in April, 1935 the prototype was fitted with retracting
undercarriage and strut mounted outboard floats.(The retractable
outboard floats were deleted on the production model). Six initial
airframes were ordered by Pan American, however the order was cancelled
after only 2 airframes had been delivered. These two aircraft ,
nicknamed "Jungle Clipper" performed sterling service in the Amazon
basin with Panair do Brasil until 1945, when they were stripped of
useful equipment and scrapped.

Of the four remaining airframes under construction, one was completed as
a A-942-A model, the last three being completed as A-942-B aircraft,
that differed in being powered by the Wright Cyclone GR-1820-F52 9
cylinder radial engine that developed 875 hp. Of these four aircraft,
two were sold to the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Force, the other two
aircraft being sold to private interests.

One aircraft led a very clandestine existence in that it was purchased
by Spanish Republican interests to be used in the war in Spain against
the Nationalists. It was however intercepted by the Nationalists during
delivery and pressed into service with their Air Force against the
Republicans. One aircraft found its way into RAF service during WWII as
serial HK832 but was lost in mid 1943 in Egypt after hitting a submerged
object.

--
Moving things in still pictures

ŽiŠardo
October 15th 11, 07:51 PM
On 15/10/2011 18:03, DAN wrote:
> Thanks, Ricardo!
> It is always more interesting to know the background of an aircraft
>
> ŽiŠardo wrote:
>
>> On 07/10/2011 15:42, DAN wrote:
>>> Man,how I would hate to go to war in a thing looking like this...
>>>

>> Luckily not many did!
>>
>> The Fairchild 91 amphibian, designed by A.A.Gassner, was the result of a
>> requirement by Pan American Airways for an aircraft to work the internal
>> South American routes. Designated the Model A-942, it was of a mixed
>> metal and fabric construction with a high wing, and was powered by a 9
>> cylinder, Pratt& Whitney S2E-G Hornet engine developing 800 hp.
>>
>> First flown in April, 1935 the prototype was fitted with retracting
>> undercarriage and strut mounted outboard floats.(The retractable
>> outboard floats were deleted on the production model). Six initial
>> airframes were ordered by Pan American, however the order was cancelled
>> after only 2 airframes had been delivered. These two aircraft ,
>> nicknamed "Jungle Clipper" performed sterling service in the Amazon
>> basin with Panair do Brasil until 1945, when they were stripped of
>> useful equipment and scrapped.
>>
>> Of the four remaining airframes under construction, one was completed as
>> a A-942-A model, the last three being completed as A-942-B aircraft,
>> that differed in being powered by the Wright Cyclone GR-1820-F52 9
>> cylinder radial engine that developed 875 hp. Of these four aircraft,
>> two were sold to the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Force, the other two
>> aircraft being sold to private interests.
>>
>> One aircraft led a very clandestine existence in that it was purchased
>> by Spanish Republican interests to be used in the war in Spain against
>> the Nationalists. It was however intercepted by the Nationalists during
>> delivery and pressed into service with their Air Force against the
>> Republicans. One aircraft found its way into RAF service during WWII as
>> serial HK832 but was lost in mid 1943 in Egypt after hitting a submerged
>> object.

My pleasure DAN. The internet is my mentor, plus I've been an aviation
fanatic for about 60 years - probably from the time that I saw the
Bristol Brabazon in flight.

http://www.unrealaircraft.com/classics/brab.php

--
Moving things in still pictures