PDA

View Full Version : Continental Airlines Complaint - A Newspaper article

John B.
September 19th 03, 07:49 PM
The Daily Texan reports on a Complaint filed against Continental
Airlines:
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/468874.html

COMPLAINT FILED AGAINST AIRLINE
Graduate student accuses Continental Airlines employee of making
discriminatory remarks
By Anjali Athavaley
Media Credit: Ashley Hitson

Mamta Motwani, assistant director of the Multicultural Information
Center, claims she's a victim of racial profiling.

A UT graduate student has filed a complaint against Continental
Airlines for an alleged racial profiling incident at the Los Angeles
International Airport in early September.

Mamta Motwani, Multicultural Information Center assistant director,
said a white male Continental employee made discriminatory remarks
before allowing her to board a red-eye flight from Los Angeles to
Houston Tuesday, Sept. 2.

Motwani, a 28-year-old Indian-American, said when she approached the
gate with her boarding pass around 12:40 a.m., an attendant told her
that she was cutting in line and would have go back.

Motwani said the attendant looked at her and said, "We don't cut
around here."

He spoke deliberately, enunciating his words, she said.

"I felt that he spoke to me as if I was not from here," Motwani said.

There were about 25 to 30 people standing outside the gate, she said.
However, they were waiting for their rows to be called, not standing
in line to board. Motwani, who claimed there was no line, said she
asked the crowd if they were waiting in line, and no one answered.

The attendant responded that this still did not give Motwani the right
to cut.

Motwani continued to stand in front of him, holding her boarding pass
out. The attendant ignored her and began collecting boarding passes
from surrounding passengers, she said. A few minutes later, he
accepted her pass and allowed her to board the plane.

Motwani registered an official complaint with Continental three days
later. "I felt publicly humiliated and embarrassed by the manner in
which the attendant patronizingly spoke to me," she wrote.

In the letter, she told Continental about the incident and demanded
that action be taken.

Motwani wanted Continental Airlines to hold its employees accountable
for their behavior and asked for a detailed apology from the company.

She also asked Continental if a diversity training program for
employees existed and wanted to be involved in implementing one if
there was not a program already in place.

A response from Continental manager Deborah Lewerke stated that
Continental Airlines does not "approve or tolerate unlawful
discrimination."

"If there was a line of other customers that you did not notice, our
representative should have gently directed you to the end of the line
to board in order," Lewerke wrote.

The e-mail response also said employees undergo diversity training
annually but did not offer details.

The company's Web site mentions only hiring diverse staff members and
suppliers. Julie King, a spokeswoman for Continental, did not return
calls about diversity training for airport employees Wednes-day
afternoon.

Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.

She said she was informed Monday that her allegations are now being
investigated by Judy Brown, a customer service manager for
Continental. Brown declined to comment on whether or not Continental
had tracked the employee in question. Any action taken against the
employee would not be made public because of company policy, she said.

Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.

Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
to about 300 students, including all senate members.

Charlie Hammond
September 19th 03, 08:52 PM
In article >,
(John B.) writes:

>The Daily Texan reports on a Complaint filed against Continental
>Airlines:
>http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/468874.html
>
>COMPLAINT FILED AGAINST AIRLINE
>Graduate student accuses Continental Airlines employee of making
>discriminatory remarks
>By Anjali Athavaley
>Media Credit: Ashley Hitson
>Motwani, a 28-year-old Indian-American, said when she approached the
>gate with her boarding pass around 12:40 a.m., an attendant told her

The article does not state wheterh or not Motwani's row had been called
for boarding. If it had, then she may have a valid complaint. If it
had not, then she is in the wrong.

--
Charlie Hammond -- Digital Equipment Corporation -- Pompano Beach FL USA
-- remove "@not" when replying)

Bryce
September 19th 03, 08:53 PM
That's funny that she assumes it was because of her race or ethnicity. Maybe
the attendant was just in a bitchy mood? And if that's the case now, it's
pretty sad when we can sue someone just for being in a bitchy mood.

"John B." > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
>
> Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
> e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.
>
> She said she was informed Monday that her allegations are now being
> investigated by Judy Brown, a customer service manager for
> Continental. Brown declined to comment on whether or not Continental
> had tracked the employee in question. Any action taken against the
> employee would not be made public because of company policy, she said.
>
> Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
> incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
> Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
> Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.
>
> Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
> distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
> to about 300 students, including all senate members.

Nic
September 19th 03, 09:18 PM
yes,

it's what has happened to our nation.

it's what has happened because of liberal white guilt pushed on us.

sad indeed

"Bryce" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
> > e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.
> >
> > She said she was informed Monday that her allegations are now being
> > investigated by Judy Brown, a customer service manager for
> > Continental. Brown declined to comment on whether or not Continental
> > had tracked the employee in question. Any action taken against the
> > employee would not be made public because of company policy, she said.
> >
> > Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
> > incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
> > Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
> > Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.
> >
> > Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
> > distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
> > to about 300 students, including all senate members.

Wilson
September 19th 03, 09:19 PM
Response:
1) What the hell does ANY of this have to do with vacationing in Las
Vegas or the Caribbean??
2) It is clear to me that this idiot (Mamta Motwani) and YOU are purely
on a muck-racking venture here. So, she was upset about what SHE
assumed was incorrect. In my opinion, she was clearly WRONG in assuming
that the agents comment was about her ethnicity. It could have easily
have been, "we don't cut around Los Angeles", or "we don't cut around
California", or "we don't cut around America". This 'victim' clearly
has her own agenda on this.
3) As evidence that this is pure 'oversenstive zealousness' on the part
of the complainer and this idiot John B, why was it so important to give
the persons 'presumed titles'?? Who cares if she is the 'assistant
director of the Multicultural Information Center' or the Grand Pubbah!!
It is irrelevenat to the facts and is cleraly offered ONLY to imply that
she is special.
4) If this person is the 'director of the Multicultural Information
Center', they clearly need to replace her. She is clearly has a problem
recognizing true multitcultural issues... or understanding them.
5) And finally, I hope that Continental Airlines sues the crap out of
you for your obvious intent to defame them by posting this useless and
inane crap clearly by posting it to travel newsgroups.... obviously with
the intent to cause them damage and/or to bolster support for her
imaginary affront.

Anjali Athavaley and Mamta Motwani are both embarassments to the
responsible and reasonable Indian culture and citizens in America.

Now, with all that out of the way.... who wants to have first chance to
beat the crap out this idiot????

Have a wonderful day!!

John B. wrote:
> [...]
>
> Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
> e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.
>
> She said she was informed Monday that her allegations are now being
> investigated by Judy Brown, a customer service manager for
> Continental. Brown declined to comment on whether or not Continental
> had tracked the employee in question. Any action taken against the
> employee would not be made public because of company policy, she said.
>
> Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
> incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
> Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
> Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.
>
> Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
> distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
> to about 300 students, including all senate members.

Ron Natalie
September 19th 03, 09:22 PM
"Charlie Hammond" > wrote in message ...

> The article does not state wheterh or not Motwani's row had been called
> for boarding. If it had, then she may have a valid complaint. If it
> had not, then she is in the wrong.

The comment said the agent said she was "cutting in line" not that she was trying
to board when her row hadn't been called. Frankly, people try to board when the
rows are not callled for a variety of reasons, not paying attention and missed the
announcement, just plain stupid, or selfish enough to want to get on early. I can
tell you that most times they don't get stopped by the gate agents. At other times
it would make more sense to say "we're not boarding that row yet" rather than what
was reported to have been said.

Ron Natalie
September 19th 03, 09:24 PM
"Bryce" > wrote in message ...
> That's funny that she assumes it was because of her race or ethnicity. Maybe
> the attendant was just in a bitchy mood? And if that's the case now, it's
> pretty sad when we can sue someone just for being in a bitchy mood.

Who said anybody was being sued. All it said is a complaint was filed. There
is no indication that the complaint was "filed" to anybody other than Continental
managment. In that case, I don't care if it's PMS on the part of the gate agent
or a corporate pattern of racial discrimination, I'd file a complaint with the management
too.

Steve G
September 19th 03, 09:45 PM
"John B." > wrote in message
om...
> The Daily Texan reports on a Complaint filed against Continental
> Airlines:

Sounds like an attendant who was having a "less than perfect" day ran into
someone who was waiting to be offended.

Bryce
September 19th 03, 09:48 PM
We all know what "complaint" means. It usually ends with monetary
entitlement.

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Bryce" > wrote in message
> > That's funny that she assumes it was because of her race or ethnicity.
Maybe
> > the attendant was just in a bitchy mood? And if that's the case now,
it's
> > pretty sad when we can sue someone just for being in a bitchy mood.
> >
> Who said anybody was being sued. All it said is a complaint was filed.
There
> is no indication that the complaint was "filed" to anybody other than
Continental
> managment. In that case, I don't care if it's PMS on the part of the
gate agent
> or a corporate pattern of racial discrimination, I'd file a complaint with
the management
> too.

Wilson
September 19th 03, 10:01 PM
Response:
1) What the hell does ANY of this have to do with vacationing in Las
Vegas or the Caribbean??

2) It is clear to me that this idiot (Mamta Motwani) and YOU are purely
on a muck-racking venture here. So, she was upset about what SHE
assumed was incorrect. Who cares?? In my opinion, she was clearly
WRONG in assuming that the agents comment was about her ethnicity. It
could have easily have been, "we don't cut around Los Angeles", or "we
don't cut around California", or "we don't cut around America". This
'victim' clearly has her own agenda on this.
3) As evidence that this is pure 'oversensitive zealousness' on the part
of the complainer and this idiot 'John B', why was it so important to
give the persons 'presumed titles'?? Who cares if she is the 'assistant
director of the Multicultural Information Center' or the Grand Pubbah!!
It is irrelevent to the facts and is clearly offered ONLY to imply that
she is special or has 'special status'.
4) If this person is the 'director of the Multicultural Information
Center', they clearly need to replace her. She clearly has a problem
recognizing true multicultural issues... or understanding them.
5) And finally, I hope that Continental Airlines sues the crap out of
you for your obvious attempt to defame them by posting this useless and
inane crap to travel newsgroups.... obviously with the intent to cause
them damage and/or to bolster support for her imaginary affront.

Anjali Athavaley and Mamta Motwani are both embarassments to the
responsible and reasonable Indian culture and citizens in America.

Now, with all that out of the way.... who wants to have first chance to
beat the crap out this idiot????

Have a wonderful day!!

TFK
September 19th 03, 11:41 PM
More wasted court time and tax payer money. Any lawyer that takes this
case should be immediately disbarred.

TFK

Peter Gottlieb
September 20th 03, 12:19 AM
I'm a relatively clean cut white male and used to frequently travel in a
business suit. Many times I was treated the same way - accused of
everything from having a fradulently obtained ticket, to being a terrorist,
to trying to go in before I was supposed to. I didn't even think of suing,
but over time I made a major effort to avoid air travel like the plague.

"TFK" > wrote in message
om...
> More wasted court time and tax payer money. Any lawyer that takes this
> case should be immediately disbarred.
>

> TFK

Judah
September 20th 03, 02:34 AM
(John B.) wrote in
om:

> The Daily Texan reports on a Complaint filed against Continental
> Airlines:
> http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/468874.html

I guess there must not have been any real news for them to report on that
day...

<snip>
> He spoke deliberately, enunciating his words, she said.

Clearly, it is a crime in LA to speak clearly and deliberately. The
general public out there has gotten so used to hearing "Arnold-isms" about
"Colee-fornya" that they figure it is a violation of their first amendment
rights to have someone speak deliberately and clearly.

> "I felt that he spoke to me as if I was not from here," Motwani said.
From the article, it sounds like she is from Texas. That would make her not
from LA. Or perhaps he recognized her as a former teacher who allowed
cutting in line in her class, and was pointing out that it is not
acceptable to cut in line at the airport.

> Motwani registered an official complaint with Continental three days
> later. "I felt publicly humiliated and embarrassed by the manner in
> which the attendant patronizingly spoke to me," she wrote.
But having your name plastered all over the world about it doesn't
embarrass you more?

> In the letter, she told Continental about the incident and demanded
> that action be taken.
What action would she be satisfied with? I bet she also filed a complaint
against the Flight Attendant for looking at her the wrong way! "Fire!",
"Fire!"

> Motwani wanted Continental Airlines to hold its employees accountable
> for their behavior and asked for a detailed apology from the company.
The company didn't do anything to her. Some gate agent told her not
to cut the line, very clearly and deliberately. Perhaps she should grow
up a bit!

> She also asked Continental if a diversity training program for
> employees existed and wanted to be involved in implementing one if
> there was not a program already in place.
What, exactly, is a diversity training program? "Repeat after me, 'not
everyone is alike.'" Duh. Does Ms. Motwani have a diversity training
program in her home for her children?

> Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
> e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.
The only remedy I could see would have been to allow her to board the plane
and fly home that night. Oh, wait, they did.

> Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
> incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
> Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
> Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.
>
> Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
> distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
> to about 300 students, including all senate members.

Great. That's what we should be teaching our children! Instead of living
a productive life, you should spend all your life harping on every
stranger who looks at you the wrong way and make a campaign out of it!

Congratulations.

Da Parrot-chick
September 20th 03, 04:15 AM
It's a safe assumption. And customer service agents don't have the luxury
of carrying their bitchy moods to work with them. Not if they're
professionals who take their job seriously. besides, no one is suing
anybody. She filed a complaint which was the proper thing to do--make the
incident a matter of record.

"Bryce" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
> > e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.
> >
> > She said she was informed Monday that her allegations are now being
> > investigated by Judy Brown, a customer service manager for
> > Continental. Brown declined to comment on whether or not Continental
> > had tracked the employee in question. Any action taken against the
> > employee would not be made public because of company policy, she said.
> >
> > Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
> > incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
> > Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
> > Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.
> >
> > Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
> > distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
> > to about 300 students, including all senate members.

September 20th 03, 04:35 AM
"Da Parrot-chick" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Being a white male wearing in a business suit when traveling, you probably
> have less experience being racially profiled in your everyday life and are
> less sensitive to it.

Granted.

Miguel Cruz
September 20th 03, 06:08 AM
Charlie Hammond > wrote:
> The article does not state wheterh or not Motwani's row had been called
> for boarding. If it had, then she may have a valid complaint. If it
> had not, then she is in the wrong.

In no case does she appear to have a valid complaint for, as the article
says, "racial profiling".

She was told not to cut in line. They do this on an equal-opportunity basis.
If she was cutting, then she should shut up and get to the back of the line.
If she was not, then the person at the gate made a mistake.

The lynchpin of her case appears to be that the gate agent "enunciat[ed] his
words." Apparently it is racial profiling unless airline staff slur their
speech.

Of course it's also possible that this is just a really badly-written
article that fails to get the point across. It's a student paper.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Jerry P
September 20th 03, 06:26 AM
"TFK" > wrote in message
om...
> More wasted court time and tax payer money. Any lawyer that takes this
> case should be immediately disbarred.
>

> TFK
What I don't understand is why did 25 other people sent e-mails to the CEO
of Continental? Were they there? No. So why should their point of view be
of any concern to him.

Jerry

Bobo
September 20th 03, 10:58 PM
Continental is rude and nasty to everyone. They get no more of my money.

"John B." > wrote in message
om...
> [...]
>
> Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
> e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.
>
> She said she was informed Monday that her allegations are now being
> investigated by Judy Brown, a customer service manager for
> Continental. Brown declined to comment on whether or not Continental
> had tracked the employee in question. Any action taken against the
> employee would not be made public because of company policy, she said.
>
> Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
> incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
> Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
> Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.
>
> Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
> distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
> to about 300 students, including all senate members.

goc
September 21st 03, 06:41 PM
I guess the key word is 'relatively'

"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
. net...
> I'm a relatively clean cut white male and used to frequently travel in a
> business suit. Many times I was treated the same way - accused of
> everything from having a fradulently obtained ticket, to being a
terrorist,
> to trying to go in before I was supposed to. I didn't even think of
suing,
> but over time I made a major effort to avoid air travel like the plague.
>

> "TFK" > wrote in message
> om...
> > More wasted court time and tax payer money. Any lawyer that takes this
> > case should be immediately disbarred.
> >

> > TFK

Ron Natalie
September 22nd 03, 03:47 PM
"Bryce" > wrote in message ...
> We all know what "complaint" means. It usually ends with monetary
> entitlement.

So, if Continental choses to compensate for bad service, what's the problem?
I'd applaud them for it. It's rare that most airlines do anything above their
statutory requirements to deal with customer service failures.

Bryce
September 22nd 03, 04:59 PM
Service?

Sure.

Race, ethnicity? NO!

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Bryce" > wrote in message
> > We all know what "complaint" means. It usually ends with monetary
> > entitlement.
> >
> So, if Continental choses to compensate for bad service, what's the
problem?
> I'd applaud them for it. It's rare that most airlines do anything above
their
> statutory requirements to deal with customer service failures.

Steve House
September 23rd 03, 11:31 AM
What's more signifigant is that out of 300 people who received the "report"
on the incident, only 25 sent emails complaining. The other 275 were smart
enough to recognized it was BS amd circular filed it. Maybe there's hope for
the species.

"Jerry P" > wrote in message
om...

> "TFK" > wrote in message
> om...
> > More wasted court time and tax payer money. Any lawyer that takes this
> > case should be immediately disbarred.
> >

> > TFK
> What I don't understand is why did 25 other people sent e-mails to the CEO
> of Continental? Were they there? No. So why should their point of view be
> of any concern to him.
>
> Jerry

Jonathan Goodish
September 27th 03, 06:23 PM
In article . net>,
"Da Parrot-chick" > wrote:
> Being a white male wearing in a business suit when traveling, you probably
> have less experience being racially profiled in your everyday life and are
> less sensitive to it.

Sorry, but despite what some in society today would like us all to
believe, racial profiling is no different than any other criteria for
profiling. Everyone is profiled at some point by others: fat people,
skinny people, tall people, short people, young people, old people.
Everyone profiles and everyone discrimiates.

JKG

Michael
October 5th 03, 04:03 PM
When the Continental rep said "we don't cut around here" using a
"deliberate" tone and "enunciating his words", he could have been sending a
message to the rest of the folks waiting to get on! "Around here" could
indicate here at Continental Airlines, or "here" on my watch, who knows.

I'm Irish, if he said that to me can I assume he doesn't like the Irish? I
don't think so..

Bailif, next case please!

"Bryce" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Motwani was unsatisfied with Continental's response, claiming that the
> > e-mail failed to offer ways to remedy the incident.
> >
> > She said she was informed Monday that her allegations are now being
> > investigated by Judy Brown, a customer service manager for
> > Continental. Brown declined to comment on whether or not Continental
> > had tracked the employee in question. Any action taken against the
> > employee would not be made public because of company policy, she said.
> >
> > Students and staff on campus have taken action after hearing of the
> > incident by writing their own letters of complaint to Continental
> > Airlines. Motwani said about 25 people have sent e-mails to
> > Continental CEO Gordon Bethune so far.
> >
> > Rusty Ince, chair of the Senate of College Councils, said he had
> > distributed copies of Motwani's complaint and Continental's response
> > to about 300 students, including all senate members.

October 8th 03, 02:18 AM
I am a Continental employee and we have an incredibly diverse work
group and this article is absolutely ridiculous! I work in customer
service and deal with customers having a bad day all day long but
would never accuse them of being prejudice! We all need to be more
sensitive of people from different ethnic backgrounds but this sort of
frivilous action does nothing to further their cause! I have worked
the gate for years and we do have agents that tell people to go to the
back of the line which sometimes should be done with more tact but we
are not all perfect and some days just wear on you! Courtesy is a two
way street!

Continental Airlines Employee

Ron Natalie
October 8th 03, 04:30 PM
> wrote in message ...
> sometimes should be done with more tact but we
> are not all perfect and some days just wear on you! Courtesy is a two
> way street!

If it's a two way street, you can give me back the $600 I paid for
a ticket. I hold you to a higher standard than I do the customers.
Bitching to your management of a perceived problem, is certainly
within the rights of any customer. If you don't like it, get a job
outside the service industry where you don't have to deal with customers.

October 9th 03, 01:07 AM

>If it's a two way street, you can give me back the $600 I paid for
>a ticket. I hold you to a higher standard than I do the customers.
>Bitching to your management of a perceived problem, is certainly
>within the rights of any customer. If you don't like it, get a job
>outside the service industry where you don't have to deal with customers.

You paid $600 for your flight, not for the right to be rude!

Continental Airlines Employee

shane wheeler
October 9th 03, 09:28 AM
Do you really mean *Bitching* or complaining??? I would say there is a vast
difference, one being acceptable, and the not.

Shane, Wheeler

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> > wrote in message
> > sometimes should be done with more tact but we
> > are not all perfect and some days just wear on you! Courtesy is a two
> > way street!
>
> If it's a two way street, you can give me back the $600 I paid for
> a ticket. I hold you to a higher standard than I do the customers.
> Bitching to your management of a perceived problem, is certainly
> within the rights of any customer. If you don't like it, get a job
> outside the service industry where you don't have to deal with customers.

---

Sr.
October 9th 03, 02:41 PM
You paid $600 for your flight, not for the right to be rude!

TWO MANY PEOPLE R RUDE JUST TOO BEA RUDE...RUDENESSITY & IGNORANCE WALK HAND
IN HAND IF YOU'LL WATCH...CANNOT STAND RUDE PEOPLE....THEY SUCK...
=TR0UT=

> wrote in message
>

> >If it's a two way street, you can give me back the $600 I paid for
> >a ticket. I hold you to a higher standard than I do the customers.
> >Bitching to your management of a perceived problem, is certainly
> >within the rights of any customer. If you don't like it, get a job
> >outside the service industry where you don't have to deal with customers.
> >
> You paid $600 for your flight, not for the right to be rude!
>
> Continental Airlines Employee

Ron Natalie
October 9th 03, 03:05 PM
"shane wheeler" > wrote in message ...
> Do you really mean *Bitching* or complaining??? I would say there is a vast
> difference, one being acceptable, and the not.

Really? Which one is witch?

Ron Natalie
October 9th 03, 03:07 PM
"Sr." > wrote in message .. .
> You paid $600 for your flight, not for the right to be rude!
>

> TWO MANY PEOPLE R RUDE JUST TOO BEA RUDE...RUDENESSITY & IGNORANCE WALK HAND
> IN HAND IF YOU'LL WATCH...CANNOT STAND RUDE PEOPLE....THEY SUCK...
> =TR0UT=

Well, this seems to be a pinnacle of etiquette.

What I said is that the person performing a service is held to a higher standard, not that
the customer has a right to be rude. The fact that another party is rude is not an excuse
for rudeness on the part of the other.

shane wheeler
October 9th 03, 03:19 PM
If you can't tell, I'd have to refer you back to your mother (or whomever
else was responsible for your upbringing) for some training in manners.

Shane, London

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "shane wheeler" > wrote in message
> > Do you really mean *Bitching* or complaining??? I would say there is a
vast
> > difference, one being acceptable, and the not.
> >
> Really? Which one is witch?

---

Ron Natalie
October 9th 03, 03:25 PM
"shane wheeler" > wrote in message ...
> If you can't tell, I'd have to refer you back to your mother (or whomever
> else was responsible for your upbringing) for some training in manners.

My mother doesn't know, and neither do half a dozen dictionaries I have
consulted. They all define bitch as a slang word for complaining.

shane wheeler
October 9th 03, 04:55 PM
If you need to consult a dictionary for an explanation of acceptable
manners, something is wrong.

Whatever manners are, they are not something with a fixed definition.

Your action of trying to learn manners from an inanimate object such as a
dictionary, or rather "half a dozen dictionaries", says much about you, and
suggests something of an inability in relating to your peers, which may, in
turn, be the result of how you behave around them, otherwise known as, your
manners (or more precisely, lack thereof).

If neither you nor your mother can tell the difference between *bitching*
and complaining, and your relationships with your peers are as apparently
non-existent as they appear to be, I'm not really sure what to suggest.
Other, that is, than not complaining to anyone, just in case you get it
wrong.

Good luck in life. I strongly suspect you'll need it.

Shane, London

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "shane wheeler" > wrote in message
> > If you can't tell, I'd have to refer you back to your mother (or
whomever
> > else was responsible for your upbringing) for some training in manners.
> >
> My mother doesn't know, and neither do half a dozen dictionaries I have
> consulted. They all define bitch as a slang word for complaining.

---

Ron Natalie
October 9th 03, 05:46 PM
"shane wheeler" > wrote in message ...
> If you need to consult a dictionary for an explanation of acceptable
> manners, something is wrong

I didn't consult a dictionary to get a read on manners. I went there to see what
distinguished the word "complaint" from "bitch." Other than the latter being slang,
they are synonyms in the context in which they were originally used. It is you who
seem to have a problem understanding both etiquette and Englilsh.

shane wheeler
October 9th 03, 06:52 PM
<snip>
It is you who
> seem to have a problem understanding both etiquette and English.
<snip>

Possibly so.

Though I doubt that someone who cannot distinguish *bitching* about
something, and complaining about something, and who believes the difference
between these two very different actions can be defined by entries in a
dictionary (or 6), has any grasp of etiquette themselves, or is in a
position to teach me.

Though, I have to concede, your prolific use of dictionaries may place you
in a better position than me with regards to the English language.

Regards

Shane, London

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "shane wheeler" > wrote in message
> > If you need to consult a dictionary for an explanation of acceptable
> > manners, something is wrong
>
> I didn't consult a dictionary to get a read on manners. I went there to
see what
> distinguished the word "complaint" from "bitch." Other than the latter
being slang,
> they are synonyms in the context in which they were originally used. It
is you who
> seem to have a problem understanding both etiquette and Englilsh.

---

shane wheeler
October 9th 03, 06:55 PM
I forgot to add: You mis-spelt English.

I find this surprising with so many dictionaries at your disposal.

Shane, London

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "shane wheeler" > wrote in message
> > If you need to consult a dictionary for an explanation of acceptable
> > manners, something is wrong
>
> I didn't consult a dictionary to get a read on manners. I went there to
see what
> distinguished the word "complaint" from "bitch." Other than the latter
being slang,
> they are synonyms in the context in which they were originally used. It
is you who
> seem to have a problem understanding both etiquette and Englilsh.

---

Peter Duniho
October 9th 03, 07:20 PM
"shane wheeler" > wrote in message
> I forgot to add: You mis-spelt English.
>
> I find this surprising with so many dictionaries at your disposal.

Ahh yes, last refuge of the man without a point. Attack the typos.

shane wheeler
October 9th 03, 07:47 PM
If you read the mail previous to the one you've replied to, you'll see I
made my points there.

Typically I wouldn't "Attack the typos" since I make far too many mistakes
myself. However, given the direct relevance to the content of this
discussion, and the specific word mis-spelt, I felt this one time, that it
was worth mention.

Shane, London

"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
> "shane wheeler" > wrote in message
> > I forgot to add: You mis-spelt English.
> >
> > I find this surprising with so many dictionaries at your disposal.
>
> Ahh yes, last refuge of the man without a point. Attack the typos.

---

Newps
October 10th 03, 01:23 AM
Ron Natalie wrote:

> "shane wheeler" > wrote in message ...
>
>>If you can't tell, I'd have to refer you back to your mother (or whomever
>>else was responsible for your upbringing) for some training in manners.
>>

> My mother doesn't know, and neither do half a dozen dictionaries I have
> consulted. They all define bitch as a slang word for complaining.

A bitch is a dog.

JohnMcGrew
October 21st 03, 04:07 PM
In article >,
(John B.) writes:

>assistant director of the Multicultural Information
>Center, claims she's a victim of racial profiling.

Kind of tells you all you need to know. Today there are people out there who
have actually carved entire careers out of being "offended".

John

Google