PDA

View Full Version : UK1 K9353 Vickers Wellesley 1939.jpg

Joseph Testagrose
November 12th 11, 12:14 PM

Dingo[_4_]
November 12th 11, 02:09 PM
"Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message

Looks more like a Fairey Battle to me ;~)
~~
Dingo

Andrew Chaplin
November 12th 11, 06:08 PM
"Dingo" > wrote in news:2audnaF0PrvH4yPTnZ2dnUVZ8t-
:

> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>
> Looks more like a Fairey Battle to me ;~)

It does, but had a much longer wing span than the Battle. AIUI, the Mk I
had two canopies, producing a distinctive profile, and the Mk II had the
greenhouse canopy seen here.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Dave Kearton[_3_]
November 12th 11, 09:30 PM
"Andrew Chaplin" > wrote in message
> "Dingo" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>>
>> Looks more like a Fairey Battle to me ;~)
>
> It does, but had a much longer wing span than the Battle. AIUI, the Mk I
> had two canopies, producing a distinctive profile, and the Mk II had the
> greenhouse canopy seen here.
> --
> Andrew Chaplin
> SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
> (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

In this instance, Dingo's right, it's a Battle.

http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/aircraftinfo.php?AircraftID=328

"Fairey Battle HA-J of No.218 Sqn is taken by surprise by the close pass of
a Bf109E over France. The squadron were based at Auberive-sur-Suippes in
1939, and as part of the Advance Air Striking Force of the RAF during the
Battle of France, suffered heavy losses. An aircraft carrying the codes HA-J
was shot down by flak on the afternoon of 12th May 1940. The three crew of
aircraft K9353, J B Horner, L C Flisher and L D Davies were all lost. "

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Andrew Chaplin
November 12th 11, 09:57 PM
"Dave Kearton" > wrote in
:

> "Andrew Chaplin" > wrote in message
>> "Dingo" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Looks more like a Fairey Battle to me ;~)
>>
>> It does, but had a much longer wing span than the Battle. AIUI, the
>> Mk I had two canopies, producing a distinctive profile, and the Mk II
>> had the greenhouse canopy seen here.
>> --
>> Andrew Chaplin
>> SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
>> (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)
>

> In this instance, Dingo's right, it's a Battle.
>
> http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/aircraftinfo.php?AircraftID=328
>

> "Fairey Battle HA-J of No.218 Sqn is taken by surprise by the close
> pass of a Bf109E over France. The squadron were based at
> Auberive-sur-Suippes in 1939, and as part of the Advance Air Striking
> Force of the RAF during the Battle of France, suffered heavy losses.
> An aircraft carrying the codes HA-J was shot down by flak on the
> afternoon of 12th May 1940. The three crew of aircraft K9353, J B
> Horner, L C Flisher and L D Davies were all lost. "

So it is. I was wondering about that inline engine....
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Dave Kearton[_3_]
November 12th 11, 11:04 PM
"Andrew Chaplin" > wrote in message
> "Dave Kearton" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Andrew Chaplin" > wrote in message
>>> "Dingo" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> It does, but had a much longer wing span than the Battle. AIUI, the
>>> Mk I had two canopies, producing a distinctive profile, and the Mk II
>>> had the greenhouse canopy seen here.
>>> --
>>> Andrew Chaplin
>>> SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
>>> (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)
>>

>> In this instance, Dingo's right, it's a Battle.
>>
>> http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/aircraftinfo.php?AircraftID=328
>>

>> "Fairey Battle HA-J of No.218 Sqn is taken by surprise by the close
>> pass of a Bf109E over France. The squadron were based at
>> Auberive-sur-Suippes in 1939, and as part of the Advance Air Striking
>> Force of the RAF during the Battle of France, suffered heavy losses.
>> An aircraft carrying the codes HA-J was shot down by flak on the
>> afternoon of 12th May 1940. The three crew of aircraft K9353, J B
>> Horner, L C Flisher and L D Davies were all lost. "
>
> So it is. I was wondering about that inline engine....
> --
> Andrew Chaplin
> SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
> (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

What strikes me about the 'real' Wellesley is that it used a bubble canopy
for the pilot, as early as 1935. Something that Mustangs and spitfires
had to dream about until 1944.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Savageduck[_3_]
November 13th 11, 05:35 PM
On 2011-11-12 15:34:29 -0800, "Dave Kearton"
> said:

> "Andrew Chaplin" > wrote in message
>> "Dave Kearton" > wrote in
>> :

>>> In this instance, Dingo's right, it's a Battle.
>>>
>>> http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/aircraftinfo.php?AircraftID=328
>>>

>>> "Fairey Battle HA-J of No.218 Sqn is taken by surprise by the close
>>> pass of a Bf109E over France. The squadron were based at
>>> Auberive-sur-Suippes in 1939, and as part of the Advance Air Striking
>>> Force of the RAF during the Battle of France, suffered heavy losses.
>>> An aircraft carrying the codes HA-J was shot down by flak on the
>>> afternoon of 12th May 1940. The three crew of aircraft K9353, J B
>>> Horner, L C Flisher and L D Davies were all lost. "
>>
>> So it is. I was wondering about that inline engine....
>> --
>> Andrew Chaplin
>> SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
>> (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)
>

> What strikes me about the 'real' Wellesley is that it used a bubble
> canopy for the pilot, as early as 1935. Something that Mustangs and
> spitfires had to dream about until 1944.

....and here is a little more info on the Wellesley.
<
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/unitedkingdom/aircraft/bomber/vickers-wellesley.asp

--
Regards,