PDA

View Full Version : Flying Out of Waukesha, WI - Advice Please

Harry Gordon
October 16th 03, 04:39 PM
Hey you all. I've gotten great input from this group before, thought I would
give you another chance :-).

Next week I will be visiting my kids in Waukesha, WI. I am planning on
renting a Cessna 172 from somewhere in that area in order to take them
flying. I know that the county airport (UES) is close by. But I don't know
anything about the FBOs there or rental rates, etc. If you can offer some
input that would be great.

In a previous posting, I got some great "tour" suggestions from Jay Honeck.
Also, is flying to OSH worth the effort now?

Thanks.

Harry
PP-ASEL
San Antonio, TX

Jim
October 16th 03, 05:11 PM
Definitely fly to OSH, just for the museum if for nothing else.
The FBO at UES is new and nice... almost too nice, some say it's lost some
of it's "homey" atmosphere. The tower controllers have a reputation, even
among the local FSDO inspectors, of being rather blunt. Don't let them get
to you. Can't help you on the rental info. All in all a nice airport.
Plenty of warbirds based there, I've seen more than one each time I've
visited UES. Flying to MKE today myself. Enjoy the great fall weather
we're having up here!
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Harry Gordon" > wrote in message
> Hey you all. I've gotten great input from this group before, thought I
would
> give you another chance :-).
>
> Next week I will be visiting my kids in Waukesha, WI. I am planning on
> renting a Cessna 172 from somewhere in that area in order to take them
> flying. I know that the county airport (UES) is close by. But I don't know
> anything about the FBOs there or rental rates, etc. If you can offer some
> input that would be great.
>
> In a previous posting, I got some great "tour" suggestions from Jay
Honeck.
> Also, is flying to OSH worth the effort now?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Harry
> PP-ASEL
> San Antonio, TX

Harry Gordon
October 16th 03, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Harry

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Definitely fly to OSH, just for the museum if for nothing else.
> The FBO at UES is new and nice... almost too nice, some say it's lost some
> of it's "homey" atmosphere. The tower controllers have a reputation, even
> among the local FSDO inspectors, of being rather blunt. Don't let them
get
> to you. Can't help you on the rental info. All in all a nice airport.
> Plenty of warbirds based there, I've seen more than one each time I've
> visited UES. Flying to MKE today myself. Enjoy the great fall weather
> we're having up here!
> --
> Jim Burns III
>
> Remove "nospam" to reply
>
> "Harry Gordon" > wrote in message
> > Hey you all. I've gotten great input from this group before, thought I
> would
> > give you another chance :-).
> >
> > Next week I will be visiting my kids in Waukesha, WI. I am planning on
> > renting a Cessna 172 from somewhere in that area in order to take them
> > flying. I know that the county airport (UES) is close by. But I don't
know
> > anything about the FBOs there or rental rates, etc. If you can offer
some
> > input that would be great.
> >
> > In a previous posting, I got some great "tour" suggestions from Jay
> Honeck.
> > Also, is flying to OSH worth the effort now?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Harry
> > PP-ASEL
> > San Antonio, TX

Chris Hoffmann
October 16th 03, 05:39 PM
http://www.waukeshaflyingservices.com/

Decent selection of 172's to choose from. West Bend has cheaper rates, but
that's a ways to go to save a few bucks. Timmerman's rates are probably
comparable.

I'd plug my flight school,. but we have no 172's.

As for the controllers, well I had to smile at that one. Yes, they can be
blunt at times, but most times they're a friendly bunch.

--
Chris Hoffmann
Student Pilot @ UES

"Harry Gordon" > wrote in message
> Hey you all. I've gotten great input from this group before, thought I
would
> give you another chance :-).
>
> Next week I will be visiting my kids in Waukesha, WI. I am planning on
> renting a Cessna 172 from somewhere in that area in order to take them
> flying. I know that the county airport (UES) is close by. But I don't know
> anything about the FBOs there or rental rates, etc. If you can offer some
> input that would be great.
>
> In a previous posting, I got some great "tour" suggestions from Jay
Honeck.
> Also, is flying to OSH worth the effort now?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Harry
> PP-ASEL
> San Antonio, TX

Harry Gordon
October 16th 03, 07:32 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info. I just sent an E-Mail to Waukesha Flying Services for
some information.

Harry

"Chris Hoffmann" > wrote in message
> http://www.waukeshaflyingservices.com/
>
> Decent selection of 172's to choose from. West Bend has cheaper rates, but
> that's a ways to go to save a few bucks. Timmerman's rates are probably
> comparable.
>
> I'd plug my flight school,. but we have no 172's.
>
> As for the controllers, well I had to smile at that one. Yes, they can be
> blunt at times, but most times they're a friendly bunch.
>
> --
> Chris Hoffmann
> Student Pilot @ UES
> <40 hours
>

> "Harry Gordon" > wrote in message
> > Hey you all. I've gotten great input from this group before, thought I
> would
> > give you another chance :-).
> >
> > Next week I will be visiting my kids in Waukesha, WI. I am planning on
> > renting a Cessna 172 from somewhere in that area in order to take them
> > flying. I know that the county airport (UES) is close by. But I don't
know
> > anything about the FBOs there or rental rates, etc. If you can offer
some
> > input that would be great.
> >
> > In a previous posting, I got some great "tour" suggestions from Jay
> Honeck.
> > Also, is flying to OSH worth the effort now?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Harry
> > PP-ASEL
> > San Antonio, TX

Jack Allison
October 16th 03, 09:11 PM
Harry, flying to OSH, IMHO, is definitely worth it...and I'm in
California....approx. 15 hrs. in a C-172. As my brother said, we could have
flown first class and stayed in the Hilton (presuming we could have got a
room and Jay didn't throw rocks through our window) for less, but this was
way more fun. So much fun that we're planning on attending next year.
Hopefully, in a faster plane but, at this point, if all I can get is the 172
I'm used to flying, I'd still do it.

One requirement if you fly to OSH next year is that you have to attend
whatever gathering happens at Jay & Mary's campsite. If you don't, we'll
hunt you down and TP your plane :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
October 16th 03, 09:13 PM
Just realized you may have meant flying through OSH on your trip...my bad.
Still, attending "AirVenture" is worth it...

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Harry Gordon
October 16th 03, 10:27 PM
Yes, Jack, you're right. I was referring to my trip next week. Going there
for the fly-in is only in my dreams at the moment :-). thanks.

Harry

"Jack Allison" > wrote in message
> Just realized you may have meant flying through OSH on your trip...my bad.
> Still, attending "AirVenture" is worth it...
>
> --
> Jack Allison
> PP-ASEL
>
> "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth
> with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there
> you will always long to return"
> - Leonardo Da Vinci
>
> (Remove the obvious from address to reply via e-mail)

Jay Honeck
October 17th 03, 04:33 AM
> Yes, Jack, you're right. I was referring to my trip next week. Going there
> for the fly-in is only in my dreams at the moment :-). thanks.

The EAA Museum and Pioneer Airport are actually BEST seen now, rather than
during Airventure. It's a short hop from Waukesha, and definitely worth the
trip!

While you're there tell the tower you want to park your plane at Friar
Tuck's, and enjoy a great lunch, too. And then, after lunch, you can step
outside into the beer garden, direct your gaze toward the tower, squint your
eyes and try to imagine 10,000 aircraft, parked wing-tip to wing-tip, as far
as the eye can see...

Ah, OSH 2004 can't be too far away! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Harry Gordon
October 17th 03, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Jay. I just hope that I can work that out in our schedule. But I
would really love to fly there just to say "I landed at OSH" if nothing else
:-).

I heard on the weather last night that a cold front was coming into that
area next week. I don't need to give you a weather lesson to tell you what
that probably means :-(.

Harry

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Yes, Jack, you're right. I was referring to my trip next week. Going
there
> > for the fly-in is only in my dreams at the moment :-). thanks.
>
> The EAA Museum and Pioneer Airport are actually BEST seen now, rather than
> during Airventure. It's a short hop from Waukesha, and definitely worth
the
> trip!
>
> While you're there tell the tower you want to park your plane at Friar
> Tuck's, and enjoy a great lunch, too. And then, after lunch, you can step
> outside into the beer garden, direct your gaze toward the tower, squint
your
> eyes and try to imagine 10,000 aircraft, parked wing-tip to wing-tip, as
far
> as the eye can see...
>
> Ah, OSH 2004 can't be too far away! :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
October 17th 03, 02:33 PM
> I heard on the weather last night that a cold front was coming into that
> area next week. I don't need to give you a weather lesson to tell you what
> that probably means :-(.

Actually, being on the back-side of a cold front at this time of year is a
good thing. The skies are incredibly clear, the winds relatively light,
and you get an extra 20 horsepower!

Just try to avoid the FRONT side of those fronts, okay? :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Harry Gordon
October 17th 03, 03:38 PM
Jay,

Thanks. My focus was on the leading edge - the rain, wind, etc. I didn't
think about the after effect once it passed :-). I just looked again at the
long weather forcast and for Thursday the weather is supposed to be "mostly
sunny". That may be the day we do our flying. Again, thanks for the other
perspective - I needed that :-).

Harry

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I heard on the weather last night that a cold front was coming into that
> > area next week. I don't need to give you a weather lesson to tell you
what
> > that probably means :-(.
>
> Actually, being on the back-side of a cold front at this time of year is a
> good thing. The skies are incredibly clear, the winds relatively light,
> and you get an extra 20 horsepower!
>
> Just try to avoid the FRONT side of those fronts, okay? :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jim
October 17th 03, 03:56 PM
Harry,
If you fly from UES to OSH, be sure to fly by Holy Hill, near Hartford,
it'll be near your flight path. Beautiful old church on top of a hill, you
can see it for miles. There's also a fellow with an odd sense of humor down
there, if you happen to see a Piper Tomahawk sticking nose down / tail up
into the side of a hill near a nice new house, don't be alarmed, it's his
"lawn ornament".
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Harry Gordon" > wrote in message
> Jay,
>
> Thanks. My focus was on the leading edge - the rain, wind, etc. I didn't
> think about the after effect once it passed :-). I just looked again at
the
> long weather forcast and for Thursday the weather is supposed to be
"mostly
> sunny". That may be the day we do our flying. Again, thanks for the other
> perspective - I needed that :-).
>
> Harry
>
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > I heard on the weather last night that a cold front was coming into
that
> > > area next week. I don't need to give you a weather lesson to tell you
> what
> > > that probably means :-(.
> >
> > Actually, being on the back-side of a cold front at this time of year is
> > good thing. The skies are incredibly clear, the winds relatively
light,
> > and you get an extra 20 horsepower!
> >
> > Just try to avoid the FRONT side of those fronts, okay? :-)
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993
> > www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"

Harry Gordon
October 17th 03, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Jim. If we make that flight, I will look for the church and the
Tomahawk.

Harry

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Harry,
> If you fly from UES to OSH, be sure to fly by Holy Hill, near Hartford,
> it'll be near your flight path. Beautiful old church on top of a hill,
you
> can see it for miles. There's also a fellow with an odd sense of humor
down
> there, if you happen to see a Piper Tomahawk sticking nose down / tail up
> into the side of a hill near a nice new house, don't be alarmed, it's his
> "lawn ornament".
> --
> Jim Burns III
>
> Remove "nospam" to reply

Chris Hoffmann
October 17th 03, 04:53 PM
There's also a fellow with an odd sense of humor down
> there, if you happen to see a Piper Tomahawk sticking nose down / tail up
> into the side of a hill near a nice new house, don't be alarmed, it's his
> "lawn ornament".

Where is this? Around Holy Hill? I haven't gotten close/low enough to see
something like that, but then, I'll bet that's the point. Somebody's idea of
"noise abatement".

--
Chris Hoffmann
Student Pilot @ UES

Jim
October 17th 03, 05:07 PM
I believe it's north of Holy Hill, and east of Hartford. A local pilot
pointed it out to me. It looks like a Tomohawk crashed into the hill in the
guys back yard.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Chris Hoffmann" > wrote in message
> There's also a fellow with an odd sense of humor down
> > there, if you happen to see a Piper Tomahawk sticking nose down / tail
up
> > into the side of a hill near a nice new house, don't be alarmed, it's
his
> > "lawn ornament".
>
> Where is this? Around Holy Hill? I haven't gotten close/low enough to see
> something like that, but then, I'll bet that's the point. Somebody's idea
of
> "noise abatement".
>

> --
> Chris Hoffmann
> Student Pilot @ UES
> <40 hours

Jay Honeck
October 18th 03, 02:10 PM
> Thanks, Jim. If we make that flight, I will look for the church and the
> Tomahawk.

Never seen the Traumahawk, but I'll second the motion for Holy Hill. It's
worth seeing.

(It's even better to hike up to it, but that sounds like another trip...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Google