PDA

View Full Version : Yet More Stupid Tig 101 Questions

Ded Dog
January 22nd 04, 10:57 PM
Have had a tig in basement for several years and hardly used. Now that
I need it I find that I really suck at it. Started practicing welding
little pieces of 4130 together. Decided no way I am touching my
fuselage with it and dragged out the mig which I can do ok with. But
didn't quite give up and now practicing running beads on a flat piece
of mild steel. This has been suprisingly helpful for me( in case other
tig newbes read this). With less to concentrate on I am getting much
more coordinated and judgement with puddle, heat etc getting better.
And getting used to listening to the sound I'm starting to hear when I
am too close. I Might put the mig away afterall. Anyway my questions
at this point- Are there significant differences in quality of
tungsten electrodes? Not asking about electrode material choice.
Having just ordered some lanthenated online that seemed inexpensive I
am wondering if one manufacturer is as good as another or did I just
buy cheap electrodes instead of inexpensive. Once I have contaminated
the tip with steel from getting to close or too hot, do I just regrind
the tip or do I need to grind back further so I am not using any of
the electrode length that was contaminated. I know not to contaminate
the grindstone by using it for other metal but after ginding a number
of steel contaminated electrode tips should I consider that I need to
replace the grinding wheel also. Also am I the only one that got so
used to auto darkening helmets and not thinking about it actually
forgot to put it on( a long time ago)? Wakes you right up. KM

Google