PDA

View Full Version : Combat Air Museum in Topeka worth it?

Jay Honeck
October 21st 03, 03:51 AM
Thinking about a day trip from Iowa City to this museum in Topeka, KS, on
Wednesday. Destination Direct says we'll be there in 1:44.

Anyone been there? Is it worth the trip?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

MLenoch
October 21st 03, 04:38 AM
I was there several years ago. Dusty collection of warbirds old & newer.
Probably about 20 to 30 birds there. I enjoyed that aspect. Dunno if they
made it more "family" presentable, ie. clean bathrooms, gift shop, tour guides,
etc.
VL

Roger Tracy
October 21st 03, 01:33 PM
Where is this museaum at?

"MLenoch" > wrote in message
> I was there several years ago. Dusty collection of warbirds old & newer.
> Probably about 20 to 30 birds there. I enjoyed that aspect. Dunno if
they
> made it more "family" presentable, ie. clean bathrooms, gift shop, tour
guides,
> etc.
> VL

Jay Honeck
October 21st 03, 02:13 PM
> I was there several years ago. Dusty collection of warbirds old & newer.
> Probably about 20 to 30 birds there. I enjoyed that aspect. Dunno if
they
> made it more "family" presentable, ie. clean bathrooms, gift shop, tour
guides,
> etc.

Well, I just got an email back from them, and they say they have a
restaurant on-site now.

Wherever there is food, my plane goeth! ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
October 21st 03, 03:18 PM
> Where is this museaum at?

Topeka, Kansas.

See http://www.combatairmuseum.org/hours.htm , to see their almost useless
website...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

M.E. Borner
October 21st 03, 03:35 PM
For an hour 45 minute flight it is worth it. I have certainly been to
better aviation museums but there is no such thing as a bad aviation
museum. Besides I would rather fly 1:45 and see a museum than eat a
hamburger.

I visited 2 years ago during a stopover on a flight from NY to New
Mexico. We visited several aviation museums along the way (Liberal, KS
has a good one). It seems the only way I can get my wife to visit an
air museum is to take her on such a long flight that she needs a stop
to break the flight up. An air museum is acceptable to her, only for
that purpose. I'll take it anyway it comes.

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:<Ya1lb.832437$Ho3.239055@sccrnsc03>...
> Thinking about a day trip from Iowa City to this museum in Topeka, KS, on
> Wednesday. Destination Direct says we'll be there in 1:44.
>
> Anyone been there? Is it worth the trip?
>
> Thanks!

Jay Honeck
October 21st 03, 05:31 PM
> For an hour 45 minute flight it is worth it. I have certainly been to
> better aviation museums but there is no such thing as a bad aviation
> museum. Besides I would rather fly 1:45 and see a museum than eat a
> hamburger.

Me, too!

Thanks for the feedback...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ross Richardson
October 21st 03, 06:04 PM
Jay, if you want to go a little further south, go to Drake Field (KFYV)
in Fayetteville, AR. There is a long time museum on the field. It's been
years since I have gone through it. I do fly to Fayetteville about once
a month to see children and grandchildren. They just opened a restaurant
in the old terminal building that is now the FBO. All the airline
operations moved to NW Arkansas Regional. I understand the restaurant is
open everyday. They have a courtesy car and you could tour the
University of Arkansas about 10 minutes away.

Jay Honeck wrote:

> > I was there several years ago. Dusty collection of warbirds old & newer.
> > Probably about 20 to 30 birds there. I enjoyed that aspect. Dunno if
> they
> > made it more "family" presentable, ie. clean bathrooms, gift shop, tour
> guides,
> > etc.
>
> Well, I just got an email back from them, and they say they have a
> restaurant on-site now.
>
> Wherever there is food, my plane goeth! ;-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Roger Tracy
October 21st 03, 10:04 PM
I meant which airport in Topeka.

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Where is this museaum at?
>
> Topeka, Kansas.
>
> See http://www.combatairmuseum.org/hours.htm , to see their almost useless
> website...
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
October 22nd 03, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Ross. That's getting filed away in the brain bank for our next day
flight.

Today, it's off to Forbes Field and the Combat Air Museum!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
October 22nd 03, 01:19 PM
> I meant which airport in Topeka.

Well, you probably gleaned this from their website, but it's at Forbes
Field.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

netnews.comcast.net
October 23rd 03, 03:38 AM
Anyone been to the SAC Museum between Omaha & Lincoln? I was near there last
weekend, but had no time to stop in. I would like to return from Dallas if
it is worthwhile. I went to their web site, but could not find a listing of
aircraft in the collection. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce Riggs
KADS

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > For an hour 45 minute flight it is worth it. I have certainly been to
> > better aviation museums but there is no such thing as a bad aviation
> > museum. Besides I would rather fly 1:45 and see a museum than eat a
> > hamburger.
>
> Me, too!
>
> Thanks for the feedback...
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
October 23rd 03, 01:52 PM
> Anyone been to the SAC Museum between Omaha & Lincoln? I was near there
last
> weekend, but had no time to stop in. I would like to return from Dallas if
> it is worthwhile. I went to their web site, but could not find a listing
of
> aircraft in the collection. Any ideas?

The SAC museum is AWESOME. It is second only to the Air Force Museum in
Dayton, Ohio, and ranks (in my opinion) ahead of the National Air & Space
Museum for good, old-fashioned airplane gawking. (This may soon change,
when the NASM opens their new facility, allowing them to display their
aircraft collection.)

The only down-side of the place is that it's no where near an airport! Of
all the stupid places for an aviation museum, I do believe they managed to
find the worst one possible.

Still, we've made the trip from Iowa several times, and always left wanting
to spend more time there. It's well worth your effort.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

goy
October 26th 03, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know of a website or other source of information about museums
across the country that are related to aviation? Especially if the museums
are located on or within 'walking distance' of an airport?

george

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Thinking about a day trip from Iowa City to this museum in Topeka, KS, on
> Wednesday. Destination Direct says we'll be there in 1:44.
>
> Anyone been there? Is it worth the trip?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

David Hill
October 26th 03, 03:05 PM

Try http://www.aero-web.org/museums/museums.htm

--
David Hill
david at hillREMOVETHISfamily.org

Pat Thronson
October 27th 03, 02:08 AM
David,
This museum is close by air, approx. 5 miles drive.

http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/

Been there twice, nice representation of the P-38J. Marge Bong gave a
recollection of that era. I was lucky to also have her sign Richard Bong`s
book.

Pat Thronson
PS... DLH... ;) test fly the Cirrus SR-22 in Duluth MN

"David Hill" > wrote in message
> goy wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a website or other source of information about
museums
> > across the country that are related to aviation? Especially if the
museums
> > are located on or within 'walking distance' of an airport?
> >
> > george
>
> Try http://www.aero-web.org/museums/museums.htm
>
> --
> David Hill
> david at hillREMOVETHISfamily.org
> Sautee-Nacoochee, GA, USA

Jay Honeck
October 27th 03, 03:02 AM
> http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/
>
> Been there twice, nice representation of the P-38J. Marge Bong gave a
> recollection of that era. I was lucky to also have her sign Richard Bong`s
> book.

And on a sad note, Marge just passed away a few days (weeks?) ago...

Another one of "The Greatest Generation" goes West...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bob Chilcoat
October 28th 03, 09:08 PM
Jay, Forbes Field was torn down years ago. I used to sit in the bleachers
in left field.

What?... Oh, you don't mean the one in Pittsburgh. Sorry.

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I meant which airport in Topeka.
>
> Well, you probably gleaned this from their website, but it's at Forbes
> Field.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
October 28th 03, 09:24 PM
> Jay, Forbes Field was torn down years ago. I used to sit in the bleachers
> in left field.

Gee, was that one named after the fellow who died (along with Edwards) in
the Northrop Flying Wing, too?

If so, this poor Forbes guy just can't seem to buy any luck. Edwards gets
the cool, experimental aircraft base, while poor Forbes gets a closed base
in Kansas, and a torn down stadium in Pennsylvania?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA