PDA

View Full Version : Re: Other CFI's currently marketing?

Greg Esres
November 3rd 03, 04:16 AM
<<Share your tips and findings please =)>>

If I were interested in having a full instruction schedule, I don't
think it would be hard at all. The instructors I see who struggle to
get students generally don't do the basics

1) Show enthusiasm. Practice smiling and glowing when you talk about
flying airplanes.

2) Hand out your cards to strangers in bars, church, at your "real"
job, or leave them lying about in public places.

3) Sell the idea of an intro flight. Only $50 (or whatever) !

4) Wear flight-related clothing, and people will strike up
conversations with you.

5) Ask current students about friends or acquaintances who expressed
an interest in flying.

6) If nothing else, hang out at the flight school *all the time*.
Lots of guy get discouraged after a couple of hours and go home.

7) Don't be wimpy! Try to close the sale. Get people to commit. If
you truly love flying, you will feel like you're doing them a favor.

and most important:

8) Show enthusiasm. Practice smiling and glowing when you talk about
flying airplanes. (Did I say this already?)

BTIZ
November 3rd 03, 05:32 AM
schedule their next lesson before they leave.. don't let them leave.. check
their calendar and call... get it on the schedule so they have to call and
cancel.. and make sure the person at the desks gets them to reschedule.. not
leave it blank..

if they have to make a call to cancel.. most likely they won't.. they'll
show..

it helps if the school has a cancellation policy and enforces it.

BT

"BoDEAN" > wrote in message
> With winter coming, any other cfi's on here currently marketing
> themselves to stay busy with students this winter? Share your tips and
> findings please =)

Tom S.
November 3rd 03, 09:57 AM
"BoDEAN" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:16:08 GMT, Greg Esres >
> wrote:
>
> ><<Share your tips and findings please =)>>
> >
> >If I were interested in having a full instruction schedule, I don't
> >think it would be hard at all. The instructors I see who struggle to
> >get students generally don't do the basics
> >
> >1) Show enthusiasm. Practice smiling and glowing when you talk about
> >flying airplanes.
>
> I am =)

Be straight with them when they do respond; let them know it IS expensive
and be honest enough to let them know it's your JOB, not just a hobby. Let
them know, too, that you'll not string them along.

Tom S.
November 3rd 03, 09:58 AM
"BTIZ" > wrote in message
> schedule their next lesson before they leave.. don't let them leave..
check
> their calendar and call... get it on the schedule so they have to call and
> cancel.. and make sure the person at the desks gets them to reschedule..
not
> leave it blank..
>
> if they have to make a call to cancel.. most likely they won't.. they'll
> show..
>
> it helps if the school has a cancellation policy and enforces it.

....and they'll think your just a car salesman with different merchandise.

Jay Honeck
November 3rd 03, 02:36 PM
> With winter coming, any other cfi's on here currently marketing
> themselves to stay busy with students this winter? Share your tips and
> findings please =)

A friend of mine (a newly-minted CFI) went round and round with me about
marketing, back when he was an enthusiastic line-guy, working his way up
through the ratings. We talked for many hours about marketing, and we were
both disgusted with how the FBO -- and the airport itself -- was failing to
market themselves, etc.

Well, now that he's an enthusiastic young CFI, he's really taken our
discussions to heart! He had one of those colorful vinyl see-through
appliqués designed for the back window of his Blazer (like you see on city
buses), screaming "LEARN TO FLY HERE!" everywhere he drives in 10 inch
letters. He's put ads in the local and college newspapers. He's put flyers
at the University dorms. You can't throw a rock in this town without
hitting Bill's advertising.

Not surprisingly, he's got a full schedule, and could work seven days a week
if he wanted. The FBO is ecstatic, and so is he.

Funny how this marketing stuff actually works.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Andrew Gideon
November 3rd 03, 05:45 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> He's put ads in the local and college newspapers. He's put
> flyers
> at the University dorms. You can't throw a rock in this town without
> hitting Bill's advertising.

I love this.

I've tried to convince one of the local FBOs to target the local schools,
but to no effect. It's a shame, as I really believe that there's
opportunity there for them.

- Andrew

Al Gerharter
November 3rd 03, 06:24 PM
Ain't it the truth. I posted this last week on marketing,

Once established a bit, get the flight school to lend you a 150 for a
weekend. Park it at a shopping center, or fairgrounds, or whatever for a
weekend, and handout Introductory flight coupons. I used a business
exposition, the sheriff flagged off the entry driveway for 15 minutes at
6:00am, and I flew it in. The school flourished for two years after that,
I had more students than I could fly, and I ran out of Intro coupons that
weekend. I just set up a table under the wing, displayed a "Cessna red bag
of obvious value", the training kit, and talked with folks.
Bring pictures of successful students and the local area. 18 months
later, the school slowed down, and the charter side picked up with all of
the students that never finished, or did not have the time/money to pursue
after the license. We flew business people for years after the "Expo".
Much like barnstorming, bring the airplane to the people. Let the kids
sit in it, and go home to tell dad about it. Send them home with a
Polaroid that has your name & number on the back. Print business cards
with a flight plan form on the back, and hand them out at the airport. Sell
the thrill, it's
your strongest card. Have fun doing it, it rubs off. Good Luck.

Al Gerharter CFIAMI

C J Campbell
November 4th 03, 12:32 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

| Well, now that he's an enthusiastic young CFI, he's really taken our
| discussions to heart! He had one of those colorful vinyl see-through
| appliqués designed for the back window of his Blazer (like you see on city
| buses), screaming "LEARN TO FLY HERE!"

Hmmm. Might look a little funny on my BMW.

G.R. Patterson III
November 4th 03, 02:44 AM
BoDEAN wrote:

> Ill look into getting some removeable lettering for my car window

I got magnetic signs made for my business for $85. Paid for themselves within
a few weeks.

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.

Teacherjh
November 4th 03, 05:20 AM

Teacherjh
November 4th 03, 05:20 AM

> He had one of those colorful vinyl see-through
> | appliqués designed for the back window of
> his Blazer (like you see on city
> buses), screaming "LEARN TO FLY HERE!"

Hmmm. Might look a little funny on my BMW.
<<

Change it to read 'I learned to fly here. How about you?"

Jose

BTIZ
November 4th 03, 05:24 AM
> Hmmm. Might look a little funny on my BMW.

well.. if it's my brothers racing BMW.. he does fly rather low... it would
work..

Jay Honeck
November 4th 03, 02:28 PM
> Hmmm. Might look a little funny on my BMW.

Actually, it looks odd on his Blazer, too.

But it sure catches your eye -- which, after all, is the whole idea.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
November 4th 03, 03:14 PM
I thought the same thing.

Wonder what his "customer survey" research tells him?

He's sounds like he's too busy teaching people to fly to actually do
advertising research. :-)

--
Montblack

("Teacherjh" wrote)
> Change it to read 'I learned to fly here. How about you?"

Snowbird
November 4th 03, 05:14 PM
Greg Esres > wrote in message >...
> <<Share your tips and findings please =)>>

> If I were interested in having a full instruction schedule, I don't
> think it would be hard at all. The instructors I see who struggle to
> get students generally don't do the basics

> 1) Show enthusiasm. Practice smiling and glowing when you talk about
> flying airplanes. <...>

I agree with everything you say as far as getting students.

As far as keeping them, I think the "basics" are, to provide
a good service and to make sure the customer knows what value
they're getting.

From the flight school perspective, this means the student goes
home from each lesson knowing what they've accomplished, what
they still have to work on, and what will be covered next. And
if an enthusiastic student cancels a couple lessons and doesn't
reschedule, make a phone call to find out what's up and if there's
a problem which could be resolved. Maybe it's a plane scheduling
issue or a CFI compatibility issue. But this kind of follow up
just rarely happens.

I think too many students get discouraged because after the first
few hours where everything is new and progress is rapid, they hit
a plateau where they're struggling and it's not clear exactly what's
been accomplished each lesson and exactly what the CFI wants to see
before the next step.

FWIW,
Sydney

Peter R.
November 4th 03, 06:19 PM
Teacherjh ) wrote:

> > He had one of those colorful vinyl see-through
> > | appliqués designed for the back window of
> > his Blazer (like you see on city
> > buses), screaming "LEARN TO FLY HERE!"
>
> Hmmm. Might look a little funny on my BMW.
> <<
>
> Change it to read 'I learned to fly here. How about you?"

or, "After learning to fly, I could afford this. Ask me how you can
learn." :)

--
Peter

Teacherjh
November 4th 03, 09:15 PM

or, "After learning to fly, I could afford this. Ask me how you can
learn." :)
<<

Truth in advertising would change it to "Now that I fly, I can no longer afford
this. Ask me why."

Jose

Google