PDA

View Full Version : MGL V6 transceiver vs Beckter

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
March 20th 12, 08:46 PM
I'm interested in this relatively new transceiver (available since Oct
2011).

http://mglavionics.com/html/radios.html

Besides the usual features of active/standby frequency switching, 6 to 7
watt output, 10 to 30 volt input, you can label the memory channels with
names and have ten groups with ten channels in each one. I fly in a
number of areas during the year, and having all the airport, AWOS, and
Center frequencies easily accessible would be convenient.

It also has two mono inputs intended for warnings from EFIS systems. I'd
use those for warnings from my fire and engine belt break warnings, by
using digitized voice warnings instead the ever increasing number of
tone, buzzer, warble, and other alerts from flight computers, PCAS,
oxygen, and gear systems.

I'm interested in hearing from people that have used one, and reasons
choose some other radio. It's going in an experimentally licensed
glider, so the lack of TSO isn't a legal concern.

email me)

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
March 23rd 12, 04:22 PM
On 3/20/2012 1:46 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> I'm interested in this relatively new transceiver (available since Oct
> 2011).
>
> http://mglavionics.com/html/radios.html
>
> Besides the usual features of active/standby frequency switching, 6 to 7
> watt output, 10 to 30 volt input, you can label the memory channels with
> names and have ten groups with ten channels in each one. I fly in a
> number of areas during the year, and having all the airport, AWOS, and
> Center frequencies easily accessible would be convenient.
>
> It also has two mono inputs intended for warnings from EFIS systems. I'd
> use those for warnings from my fire and engine belt break warnings, by
> using digitized voice warnings instead the ever increasing number of
> tone, buzzer, warble, and other alerts from flight computers, PCAS,
> oxygen, and gear systems.
>
> I'm interested in hearing from people that have used one, and reasons
> choose some other radio. It's going in an experimentally licensed
> glider, so the lack of TSO isn't a legal concern.

Apparently, no one has any or heard of any experience with this radio?
Tim offers it for sale on his website, but hadn't sold any yet when I
talked to him last week. I might have to be the pioneer.

email me)

Mike C
March 23rd 12, 10:13 PM
On Mar 23, 10:22*am, Eric Greenwell > wrote:
> On 3/20/2012 1:46 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>

> > I'm interested in this relatively new transceiver (available since Oct
> > 2011).
>
> >http://mglavionics.com/html/radios.html
>
> > Besides the usual features of active/standby frequency switching, 6 to 7
> > watt output, 10 to 30 volt input, you can label the memory channels with
> > names and have ten groups with ten channels in each one. I fly in a
> > number of areas during the year, and having all the airport, AWOS, and
> > Center frequencies easily accessible would be convenient.
>
> > It also has two mono inputs intended for warnings from EFIS systems. I'd
> > use those for warnings from my fire and engine belt break warnings, by
> > using digitized voice warnings instead the ever increasing number of
> > tone, buzzer, warble, and other alerts from flight computers, PCAS,
> > oxygen, and gear systems.
>
> > I'm interested in hearing from people that have used one, and reasons
> > choose some other radio. It's going in an experimentally licensed
> > glider, so the lack of TSO isn't a legal concern.
>
> Apparently, no one has any or heard of any experience with this radio?
> Tim offers it for sale on his website, but hadn't sold any yet when I
> talked to him last week. I might have to be the pioneer.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
> email me)

I have watched the notices for it over the years, and if I needed a
radio, would not hesitate to buy it.

MGL has interesting products.

Mike

Richard[_9_]
March 23rd 12, 10:27 PM
On Mar 23, 9:22*am, Eric Greenwell > wrote:
> On 3/20/2012 1:46 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>

> > I'm interested in this relatively new transceiver (available since Oct
> > 2011).
>
> >http://mglavionics.com/html/radios.html
>
> > Besides the usual features of active/standby frequency switching, 6 to 7
> > watt output, 10 to 30 volt input, you can label the memory channels with
> > names and have ten groups with ten channels in each one. I fly in a
> > number of areas during the year, and having all the airport, AWOS, and
> > Center frequencies easily accessible would be convenient.
>
> > It also has two mono inputs intended for warnings from EFIS systems. I'd
> > use those for warnings from my fire and engine belt break warnings, by
> > using digitized voice warnings instead the ever increasing number of
> > tone, buzzer, warble, and other alerts from flight computers, PCAS,
> > oxygen, and gear systems.
>
> > I'm interested in hearing from people that have used one, and reasons
> > choose some other radio. It's going in an experimentally licensed
> > glider, so the lack of TSO isn't a legal concern.
>
> Apparently, no one has any or heard of any experience with this radio?
> Tim offers it for sale on his website, but hadn't sold any yet when I
> talked to him last week. I might have to be the pioneer.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
> email me)- Hide quoted text -

Eric,

If you shop around you might find a better price.

Richard

noel.wade
March 26th 12, 10:47 PM
Eric -

The MGL V10 has been out a couple of years and seems to be liked by
most who've tried it; with the one complaint being the manual controls
(it was really designed to be paired with one of their glass panel
units to drive the Comms system).

So with the V6 they went back to rotary knobs. It was only released a
few months ago so I'm not surprised there hasn't been a whole lot of
feedback yet.

I don't have a lot of personal experience with the MGL products, but
I'm building a Sonex kit-plane and the MGL equipment (especially their
smaller EFIS units) are quite popular and well-liked in the Sonex
community!

--Noel

On Mar 23, 9:22*am, Eric Greenwell > wrote:

> Apparently, no one has any or heard of any experience with this radio?
> Tim offers it for sale on his website, but hadn't sold any yet when I
> talked to him last week. I might have to be the pioneer.

Google