PDA

View Full Version : Old Student Hours

March 23rd 12, 06:18 PM
I was a student glider pilot about 25 years ago and advanced to the point of doing a number of solo flights before I had to give it up for various reasons, short of getting my PGL certificate.

I am retired now and after many years of flying Part 103 ultralights, I'm back on the path to getting my PGL certificate. I recently passed the glider knowledge test, so that is out of the way. I'm waiting for the season to start around here to start taking lessons again. And I recently acquired a nice sport sailplane to fly when I'm qualified, so am highly motivated.

Of course I still need to get current and practice again, but I had enough student glider pilot hours from the old days to qualify for the check ride now. But I was wondering if those old student hours would still apply, or do I have to start over building up the hours from zero.

I haven't hooked up with an instructor yet, so no one to ask. The answer to this issue will be a factor in deciding where I go for the training.

Any comments on the hours?

Thanks,
Jerry

Tony[_5_]
March 23rd 12, 06:31 PM
On Friday, March 23, 2012 1:18:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I was a student glider pilot about 25 years ago and advanced to the point of doing a number of solo flights before I had to give it up for various reasons, short of getting my PGL certificate.
>
> I am retired now and after many years of flying Part 103 ultralights, I'm back on the path to getting my PGL certificate. I recently passed the glider knowledge test, so that is out of the way. I'm waiting for the season to start around here to start taking lessons again. And I recently acquired a nice sport sailplane to fly when I'm qualified, so am highly motivated.
>
> Of course I still need to get current and practice again, but I had enough student glider pilot hours from the old days to qualify for the check ride now. But I was wondering if those old student hours would still apply, or do I have to start over building up the hours from zero.
>
> I haven't hooked up with an instructor yet, so no one to ask. The answer to this issue will be a factor in deciding where I go for the training.
>
> Any comments on the hours?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

You can still claim the hours since you have them in your logbook, I presume. Either way you will need to get as much training as it takes to not only meet the minimum required hours but also be proficient enough to pass the checkride. That usually takes more than the required minimum anyway so its usually a moot point.

Vaughn
March 23rd 12, 10:39 PM
On 3/23/2012 2:18 PM, wrote:

> Any comments on the hours?

I believe your hours are still good. That said, please don't rush your
training! As we get older, physical tasks like flying take longer to
learn. Humble yourself and just stick with dual for as long as it
takes. (I won't tell you how long it took me,)

Also, tell us more about the glider you purchased. Even if it's single
seat, your instructor may be willing to sign you off to fly it after you
have soloed.

Vaughn

Google