PDA

View Full Version : Goddard Cable Problem

Peter von Tresckow
April 2nd 12, 04:10 PM
I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable (ps5a
i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on the
Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working correctly as
that cable transmits the data without issue.

Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???

Thanks

Peter

cfinn
April 2nd 12, 04:29 PM
If it's jibberish, I would expect you have a mismatch in the data
rates between the devices.

On Apr 2, 11:10*am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
> V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable (ps5a
> i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
> jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on the
> Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working correctly as
> that cable transmits the data without issue.
>
> Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

vontresc
April 2nd 12, 04:54 PM
That was my initial thought as well. I tested the FP10 with my desktop and a serial cable, and all was well at 4800/8/n/1.

The interesting thing was whan I tried the goddard cable with Condor on my PC, I got the same jibberish coming through on the oudie cable.

On Monday, April 2, 2012 10:29:16 AM UTC-5, cfinn wrote:
> If it's jibberish, I would expect you have a mismatch in the data
> rates between the devices.
>
> On Apr 2, 11:10*am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> > I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
> > V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable (ps5a
> > i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
> > jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on the
> > Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working correctly as
> > that cable transmits the data without issue.
> >
> > Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Peter

cfinn
April 2nd 12, 05:35 PM
Did you check the settings on the Oudie? I still think it's a speed
problem. You've tried two sources and have the same results with the
Oudie, and the FP10 works OK with the PC.

On Apr 2, 11:54*am, vontresc > wrote:
> That was my initial thought as well. I tested the FP10 with my desktop and a serial cable, and all was well at 4800/8/n/1.
>
> The interesting thing was whan I tried the goddard cable with Condor on my PC, I got the same jibberish coming through on the oudie cable.
>

> On Monday, April 2, 2012 10:29:16 AM UTC-5, cfinn wrote:
> > If it's jibberish, I would expect you have a mismatch in the data
> > rates between the devices.
>
> > On Apr 2, 11:10*am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> > > I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
> > > V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable (ps5a
> > > i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
> > > jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on the
> > > Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working correctly as
> > > that cable transmits the data without issue.
>
> > > Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > > Peter- Hide quoted text -

Paul Remde
April 3rd 12, 02:29 PM
"Peter von Tresckow" > wrote in message
I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable (ps5a
i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on the
Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working correctly as
that cable transmits the data without issue.

Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

The Goddard Oudie-PS5a-1 cable works fine with the Tasman FP10 - as long as
you have the version of the FP10 that provides 5V power for the PDA. There
are 2 versions of the FP10 - One provides 5V power and the other does not.
The connections on the FP10 are identical to the connections on the Goddard
PS-5a and Cambridge 302, etc. If you have the version of the FP10 that
doesn't provide 5V power, that would explain the issue. The Goddard
Oudie-PS5a-1 cable has a built-in RS-232 voltage level converter which must
be powered with 5 V.

The Naviter Oudie power/data cable must be powered with 12V to work.

Otherwise, when you see gibberish, it probably means that the baud rates are
not matched. Make sure you have the same baudrate set at the PDA and FP10
and GPS.

Best Regards,

--
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul Remde
April 3rd 12, 03:20 PM
Hi Peter,

When you connected the Oudie-PS5a-1 to the PC, was it powered with 5V? It
must be powered with 5V for the RS-232 voltage level converter to work.

Best Regards,

--
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"vontresc" > wrote in message
That was my initial thought as well. I tested the FP10 with my desktop and a
serial cable, and all was well at 4800/8/n/1.

The interesting thing was whan I tried the goddard cable with Condor on my
PC, I got the same jibberish coming through on the oudie cable.

On Monday, April 2, 2012 10:29:16 AM UTC-5, cfinn wrote:
> If it's jibberish, I would expect you have a mismatch in the data
> rates between the devices.
>
> On Apr 2, 11:10 am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
> > I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
> > V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable
> > (ps5a
> > i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
> > jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on
> > the
> > Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working correctly
> > as
> > that cable transmits the data without issue.
> >
> > Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Peter

Peter von Tresckow
April 3rd 12, 04:02 PM
The FP10 does supply the 5V for the PDA, and I did check that it has power.

I plugged my desktop into the FP10, and was able to receive serial data from
the GPS (4800-8-n-1). I hgave also played with every conceivable baud rate
setting on the Oudie, and still no joy. I fear I may have fried the Max232
ttl converter :-(

Pete

"Paul Remde" > wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> When you connected the Oudie-PS5a-1 to the PC, was it powered with 5V? It
> must be powered with 5V for the RS-232 voltage level converter to work.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> --
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
>

> "vontresc" > wrote in message
> That was my initial thought as well. I tested the FP10 with my desktop and
> serial cable, and all was well at 4800/8/n/1.
>
> The interesting thing was whan I tried the goddard cable with Condor on my
> PC, I got the same jibberish coming through on the oudie cable.
>
> On Monday, April 2, 2012 10:29:16 AM UTC-5, cfinn wrote:
>> If it's jibberish, I would expect you have a mismatch in the data
>> rates between the devices.
>>
>> On Apr 2, 11:10 am, "Peter von Tresckow" > wrote:
>> > I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
>> > V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable
>> > (ps5a
>> > i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
>> > jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on
>> > the
>> > Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working
>> > correctly
>> > as
>> > that cable transmits the data without issue.
>> >
>> > Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Peter

Sean Fidler
April 4th 12, 06:24 PM
I had a bad Goddard PS5a-1 cable for the first few days of the Uvlade contest last year. The dealer was insistent that it could not be the cable. When a replacement cable was finally shipped after day 3 or so and tens of hours of trying to find a software configuration or other problem...the system immediately fired up. So the cable was actually bad. Now I hear of another problem with the same cable...so it is the beginning of a trend perhaps?

The new Goddard PS5a-1 cable (shipped mid Uvalde) worked flawlessly for me during the fall and is for sale now that I have sold my LX5000. If interested in a discounted and barely used replacement, please give me a call.

Sean
F2
smfidlerATgmailDOTcom

On Monday, April 2, 2012 11:10:05 AM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:
> I was in the process of upgrading my panel with my new to me Tasman
> V1000/FP10. The vario did come with the Goddard Oudie connection cable (ps5a
> i think), and it was working fine at first, but now I am just seeing
> jibberish being transmitted when I go into terminal mode in see you on the
> Oudie. I have tried the Naviter cable, and the FP10 is working correctly as
> that cable transmits the data without issue.
>
> Did I possibly fry my goddard cable???
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Google