PDA

View Full Version : Instructing in club environment

Evan Ludeman[_4_]
May 31st 12, 04:53 PM
On May 31, 12:16*pm, "bds" > wrote:

> Is there any incentive offered by your club for members to become
> instructors?

You mean besides the women, the glory and the free ASG-29s?

David Reitter
May 31st 12, 05:04 PM
On Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:16:20 PM UTC-4, bds wrote:

> Is there any incentive offered by your club for members to become
> instructors?

In one of my clubs (Eastern US), our (few) instructors charge students $20-$30 per flight (including ground school). The trainer is a 2-33. Students typically get two or three flights per day, and they are loosely scheduled.. Instruction is primarily given in mornings jn calm conditions.

In my other club (in Britain), instruction is generally free and there are no incentives for them. There are many instructors around at every club, and they are very well trained. The trainers are types like K21 and DG505. Students typically stay at the club all day and help with operations. Scheduled flying is available (the club charges extra for this - they have one paid instructor!), but typically most cost-conscious students get instruction for free.

BDS
May 31st 12, 05:16 PM
I am looking for input on how different clubs work with their instructors.

Do instructors pay the same dues and tow fees as all other members? If so,
does your club "compensate" its instructors in any other way?

Does your club pay for instructor refreshers or renewals? How about
insurance?

Is there any incentive offered by your club for members to become
instructors?

Thanks,
Tim

noel.wade
May 31st 12, 05:37 PM
Tim -

Our club near Seattle, WA does the following things:

1) Instructors do not pay our normal $32/month dues, which works out
to $384/year they don't have to pay. They still must pay flight-fees
if they want to fly a club glider (either $40/flight or ~$28/month for
12 months).

2) Our club helps organize FIRCs and SSF visits; but I do not know if
we compensate the instructors for these (I don't think we do).

3) Right now, not much. We have, on occasion, offered up to $500 or
so to select members to help them afford the check-ride or other items
to make sure they finish up their CFIG and become a volunteer
instructor.

--Noel

Tony[_5_]
May 31st 12, 05:52 PM
On Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:16:20 AM UTC-5, bds wrote:
> I am looking for input on how different clubs work with their instructors..
>
> Do instructors pay the same dues and tow fees as all other members? If so,
> does your club "compensate" its instructors in any other way?
>
> Does your club pay for instructor refreshers or renewals? How about
> insurance?
>
> Is there any incentive offered by your club for members to become
> instructors?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

1) Instructors in our club who agree to work scheduled days through the year (platoon style) do not pay dues. But the club dues are pretty low ($24 a YEAR) so I'm pretty sure none of us are instructing to save the money. Students are billed $1 per flight to make up the difference.

2) No

3) No I guess, beyond the self satisfaction of helping to keep the sport at least stagnant and paying forward all the wonderful free instruction we received as students. All of us are apparently instructing because we want to.

I want to join T8's club!!!

PMSC Member
May 31st 12, 06:26 PM
Evan! Don't give away our secrets! We have too many instructors
already!

RL
May 31st 12, 07:37 PM
Our eastern PA club does not compensate instructors or tow pilots.
Both work on a pure volunteer basis and pay the same dues and fees as
all members. We do sponsor FIRCS and pay the attendance fee for
instructors. They are also covered under our club policy. Incentive -
They get to become the best-of-the-best! On the other hand... they
haven't heard of the perks Evan's club offers...

Bob

Matt McKrell
May 31st 12, 08:47 PM
On May 31, 2:37*pm, RL > wrote:
> Our eastern PA club does not compensate instructors or tow pilots.
> Both work on a pure volunteer basis and pay the same dues and fees as
> all members. We do sponsor FIRCS and pay the attendance fee for
> instructors. They are also covered under our club policy. Incentive -
> They get to become the best-of-the-best! *On the other hand... they
> haven't heard of the perks Evan's club offers...
>
> Bob

In our club instructing is considered part of the dues paid, just like
towing,
running wings, or logging flights. The instructors get the additional
perk
of a "currency" flight once a month in each of the club gliders (based
on
the fact that we don't actually get to do takeoffs and landings on
many
of the instructional flights). In practice the currency flights in
the Grob
usually are demo flights given when a student seems to be stuck trying
to figure out landings -- showing them what a good pattern SHOULD look
like often does wonders.

-- Matt

T[_2_]
June 1st 12, 04:52 AM
On May 31, 12:47*pm, Matt McKrell > wrote:
> On May 31, 2:37*pm, RL > wrote:
>
> > Our eastern PA club does not compensate instructors or tow pilots.
> > Both work on a pure volunteer basis and pay the same dues and fees as
> > all members. We do sponsor FIRCS and pay the attendance fee for
> > instructors. They are also covered under our club policy. Incentive -
> > They get to become the best-of-the-best! *On the other hand... they
> > haven't heard of the perks Evan's club offers...
>
> > Bob
>
> In our club instructing is considered part of the dues paid, just like
> towing,
> running wings, or logging flights. *The instructors get the additional
> perk
> of a "currency" flight once a month in each of the club gliders (based
> on
> the fact that we don't actually get to do takeoffs and landings on
> many
> of the instructional flights). *In practice the currency flights in
> the Grob
> usually are demo flights given when a student seems to be stuck trying
> to figure out landings -- showing them what a good pattern SHOULD look
> like often does wonders.
>
> -- Matt

Our volunteer instructors are scheduled to be the instructor of the
day, it does not stop other instructors from teaching on that day,
they are free to go fly for themselves. This provides a primary
instructor each flying day. We only fly on Sat and Sun.

Our instructors, tow pilots, and flight operations officer are all
volunteer and earn credits for up to 50% off the annual dues.
Instructors and tow pilots are responsible for their own FIRC and
flight reviews.

We are volunteers, students are not charged for flight instruction,
but they are expected to assist on the ground with launching, washing
gliders and helping put things away at the end of the day. They need
to learn ground ops also as part of their training.

For new students, more than an hour in the glider and they are done
learning. Students that have solo'd are ready for those longer
thermaling and intro to XC flights as spring turns into summer.

CFIG

Bert TW
June 1st 12, 08:33 AM
In my club (Switzerland), as an instructor I'm on the roaster for
something like 10 days per year (students don't pay extra for having
an instructor). I do have to pay the full club fees, but I'm credited
50 CHF (=$50) for each day of instructing which somewhat balances the
club fees. I also get free 30h soaring time on club gliders (but I
don't use them because I prefer to fly my own glider). Club pays for
insurance, I pay for keeping my instructor license current.

JC
June 1st 12, 02:13 PM
In my club in Argentina (www.cpz.com.ar) the instructors are
volunteers and the club compensates some of their time and trouble
with a free tow or its equivalent in monthly dues for every eight
instruction flights. There are no special rates for instructors. A few
other clubs here have a similar system but in most there is no
compensation. The club pays for insurance and in some cases helps with
the instructor rating or renewal fees.

Juan Carlos

C-FFKQ (42)
June 1st 12, 06:35 PM
My club, York Soaring Association near Toronto, Canada, does not charge for instruction. The instructors are all volunteers, paying regular club rates with no incentives other than getting the air time and the joy of passing on their love of flight.

-John

Google