PDA

View Full Version : Painting Your Restored Aircraft

jls
January 28th 04, 04:29 PM
You have to take the wings off, don't you? Anybody shoot an aircraft with
paint from under the wings or under the belly? Just wondering out loud
here.

Orval Fairbairn
January 28th 04, 06:49 PM
In article >,
" jls" > wrote:

> You have to take the wings off, don't you? Anybody shoot an aircraft with
> paint from under the wings or under the belly? Just wondering out loud
> here.

You have to use a pressure pot/gun combination. It is done all the time.

Bela P. Havasreti
January 28th 04, 07:19 PM
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:29:13 -0500, " jls" >
wrote:

>You have to take the wings off, don't you? Anybody shoot an aircraft with
>paint from under the wings or under the belly? Just wondering out loud
>here.

Yes. It helps to get the aircraft up off of the ground some (in my
case, raise the tail on a taildragger and set it on a medium sized
ladder). Use a crawler to slide around underneath while painting.

You'll want to use an orientation insensitive spray gun (I don't think
any of them will shoot/spray "up-side down", but some work better than
others). For instance, a gravity-feed gun might not work well while
laying on your back, trying to spray the belly

I use an HVLP conversion gun while priming, but I like to use a
pressure pot with a quality remote Binks-type "high pressure" gun
for shooting top-coats.

Bela P. Havasreti

Plumb Bob
January 29th 04, 03:15 AM
"Bela P. Havasreti" > wrote in message
> You'll want to use an orientation insensitive spray gun (I don't think
> any of them will shoot/spray "up-side down", but some work better than
> others). For instance, a gravity-feed gun might not work well while
> laying on your back, trying to spray the belly

Take a look at the 3M PPS system... can convert a gravity gun to spray at
any angle, even up.

Bela P. Havasreti
January 29th 04, 04:32 AM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:15:49 GMT, "Plumb Bob" > wrote:

>"Bela P. Havasreti" > wrote in message
>> You'll want to use an orientation insensitive spray gun (I don't think
>> any of them will shoot/spray "up-side down", but some work better than
>> others). For instance, a gravity-feed gun might not work well while
>> laying on your back, trying to spray the belly
>
>Take a look at the 3M PPS system... can convert a gravity gun to spray at
>any angle, even up.

Will do!

Thanks for the tip.

Bela P. Havasreti