PDA

View Full Version : UK2 VR380 Bristol Freighter to G-AGPV.jpg

Joseph Testagrose
June 22nd 12, 01:02 PM

Graham Harrison[_2_]
June 22nd 12, 09:04 PM
"Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message

Back in the 1950s (and maybe even the early 60s) I was taken on holiday by
my parents to various parts of Europe. Occasionally we took the ferry from
Dover but other times we used Silver City from Lydd Ferryfield to Le
Touquet. For those who don't know about Silver City they had some Bristol
170Mk32 (had a slightly longer nose than the one seen here) and they would
open the clam shell doors at the front, fit some ramps, drive three cars up
the ramp into the aircraft and then load passengers into the rear
compartment. I even managed a ride in the cockpit on a couple of
occasions - you had to climb a ladder up the side of the cargo compartment.
They were fitted with Decca Navigators and my mind is probably playing
tricks but I have this memory of watching the pen draw a neat circle in mid
Channel as we did an orbit.

Google