PDA

View Full Version : What's the best sounding aircraft you ever heard?

DeltaDeltaDelta
December 2nd 03, 05:58 PM
This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.

Triple Delta

Orval Fairbairn
December 2nd 03, 06:12 PM
In article >,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote:

> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.
>
> Triple Delta

I have to vote for the "song of the Merlin," one of the smoothest
sounding recip engines ever made.

Peter MacPherson
December 2nd 03, 06:45 PM
F4-Phantom.....one did a low pass at OSH a few years ago. Incredible!

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

> Triple Delta

Dale
December 2nd 03, 06:47 PM
In article >,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote:

> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.

I've heard many DC-6 takeoffs and they don't sound like a Hell's Angel
funeral....they sound like several Hell's Angels funerals. <G>

Greatest sounding airplane is tough question...

B-17 flying over
Wildcat
Mustang

Those have a glorious sound.

The rest of the WWII fighters/bombers/etc

F4 Phantom - can you say loud

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html

John Gaquin
December 2nd 03, 07:11 PM
Anything radial, multiple, and large in climb. From the cockpit or the
ground. Once the props are pulled back and really biting the air, it
deepens the tone. Marvelous! Closely rivaled by any large radial starting.

JG

Jim Weir
December 2nd 03, 07:20 PM
The ones dropping retardant on the fire a mile down the road.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

Peter Duniho
December 2nd 03, 07:34 PM
Hands down: Rare Bear, the highly modified Grumman Bearcat owned by Lyle
Shelton. It has a deep-throated growl (how appropriate!), a "voice" that
speaks of power through timbre and modulation, rather than volume.

Mike Rapoport
December 2nd 03, 07:42 PM
Cessna 185 after waiting 5 days for it to stop snowing so that he could get
in and take us back to civillization.

Mike
MU-2

"Peter Duniho" > wrote in message
> Hands down: Rare Bear, the highly modified Grumman Bearcat owned by Lyle
> Shelton. It has a deep-throated growl (how appropriate!), a "voice" that
> speaks of power through timbre and modulation, rather than volume.

Jay Honeck
December 2nd 03, 09:16 PM
The MATS Constellation's four Curtis-Wright, 3350 cubic inch, 2500
horsepower radial engines make a sound like nothing I've ever heard before,
or since.

The crew of the Connie was our very first guests at the inn, when we opened
in August of 2002. They paid for their stay with a bunch of Connie artwork,
and a ride for my son and me. It was a hot summer morning, so they left the
over-wing doors OUT (not open -- OUT). Thus, the sound of those amazing
engines and props was unimpeded by even the fuselage!

We were deaf for hours afterward. It was heaven!

You can see video of this amazing bird on their website at
http://www.connie.com/video.shtml . The sound doesn't capture it, of
course -- but it's the next best thing!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

DeltaDeltaDelta
December 2nd 03, 09:29 PM
Also, russians produce excellent noise. Once i just happened to be on the
observation deck of LDZA when I saw, that is heard, an Il-76 rolling down
the runway for takeoff. Man, I bet that sound was heard for miles and miles
around! I can hear MiG-21s taking off from more than 7 miles away...

Triple Delta

lardsoup
December 2nd 03, 11:27 PM
SR-71.

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

> Triple Delta

Wayne
December 2nd 03, 11:39 PM
I gotta go with the P-51 with the Merlin, and a close second is the sound of
a radial.

Wayne

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

> Triple Delta

Cub Driver
December 3rd 03, 12:21 AM
B-25 or B-17, or virtually any multi-engine aircraft outfitted with
Wright Cyclones.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Ronald Gardner
December 3rd 03, 12:38 AM
Ditto!!!

Wayne wrote:

> I gotta go with the P-51 with the Merlin, and a close second is the sound of
> a radial.
>
> Wayne
>
> "DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> > This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
> 1000
> > feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> > powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> > such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> > hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> > firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
> remark
> > that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
> funeral'.
> >
> > Triple Delta

ShawnD2112
December 3rd 03, 12:53 AM
The setting: Duxford for Flying Legends airshow, 1995-ish, around 1800 or
so. I was a volunteer for The Fighter Collection at the time, assigned for
that day to look after the Corsair which was the last aircraft parked on the
display line, at the departure end of the parallel taxiway. Gorgeous sunny
summer day with big, fluffy clouds way up high. It had been a great day of
flying, everything from Mustangs, Spits, the B-17 "Sally B", B-25, Corsairs,
all the 'Cats, Spads, and probably some other stuff I can't remember. We
had a total of 19 Merlin powered fighters on the flightline that day.

Being at the departure end of the taxiway, everything had to taxi past me to
get to the runup area and then the runway.

At the end of each Flying Legends airshow, the last formation is a Balboa, a
massed formation of everything on the flightline up in the sky at once. The
Corsair I was minding was already gone, so the distinction of the end of the
parking line was lost. The Mustangs and Spits were due to go off together
and started to taxi past me one-by-one to do their runups. But there were
too many of them for the small runup area to hold all at once. So they
turned into wind wherever they could.

I suddenly found myself surrounded on 3 sides by all the Spits and Mustangs
doing their runups at the same time - 19 Merlins revving up, churning the
air with their props, making the ground shake, creating a deafening sweet
racket which I couldn't bring myself to block from my ears. They rang for 8
hours afterward but it was worth every minute.

And I remember thinking, while standing on the WW2 Spit and Mustang base,
that this must have been what the base sounded like in 1944. It was one of
the few times in my life I actually felt like I'd been allowed to step back
in time.

All of that because of the noise...

Shawn

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

> Triple Delta

A Lieberman
December 3rd 03, 01:17 AM
DeltaDeltaDelta wrote:

> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds

The one that is turning the fan in front of me is the best sounding
aircraft *smile*.

Allen

mqd_117.3
December 3rd 03, 01:32 AM
Has to be the Metro-Merlin!!!

MQD_117.3

--
mqd_117.3
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Richard Hertz
December 3rd 03, 03:07 AM
I kind of like the sound of a glider with spoilers out on short final - the
"whooshing"/whistling is pretty neat.

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

> Triple Delta

Paul Tomblin
December 3rd 03, 03:29 AM
In a previous article, mqd_117.3 > said:
>Has to be the Metro-Merlin!!!

Only because if you hear it departing, it means you're not on the "Torture
Tube".

My votes:
Spitfire
Lancaster bomber (because if one Merlin is good, 4 is better)
Vulcan bomber (loudest thing I've ever heard)

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Quando omni flunkus moritati (when all else fails play dead)

Jay Honeck
December 3rd 03, 03:46 AM
> I suddenly found myself surrounded on 3 sides by all the Spits and
Mustangs
> doing their runups at the same time - 19 Merlins revving up, churning the
> air with their props, making the ground shake, creating a deafening sweet
> racket which I couldn't bring myself to block from my ears. They rang for
8
> hours afterward but it was worth every minute.

Thanks for sharing that, Shawn. I've been at OSH numerous times when a
dozen (or more) Mustangs were doing their run-ups, and I still get shivers
just thinking about it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Paul Sengupta
December 3rd 03, 04:00 AM
Piston: Merlin (Spitfire, then P51, then Hurricane), Merlins (Lancaster).
Griffon (Spitfire). The engine in the Bf109 sounds marvelous too.
Sweeter/smoother/less gruff than the Merlin.

Radials also have their place in the distinctive sounds line-up. Low
and loud.

Jet - Concorde! 4 olympus turbojets with reheat on take-off! Closely
followed by the Vulcan. 4 non-afterburning olympus engines...

Offline at the moment so can't check, but don't Air Atlantique at
Coventry have a DC-6?

Paul

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful.

John Gaquin
December 3rd 03, 04:34 AM
Anything radial, multiple, and large in climb. From the cockpit or the
ground. Once the props are pulled back and really biting the air, it
deepens the tone. Marvelous! Closely rivaled by any large radial starting.

JG

john
December 3rd 03, 04:41 AM
T28 at fast idle while taxiing is another variant but still round
engine sound-very funky good noise.

Les Droe
December 3rd 03, 05:28 AM
Obviously dating myself...The B-36 with those six 4360's.

Les

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

> Triple Delta

Larry Fransson
December 3rd 03, 06:29 AM
Bell UH-1

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA

ShawnD2112
December 3rd 03, 10:14 AM
You bet, Jay. There are other airplane engines that sound pretty cool but
that one experience always stands out in my mind.
Others include:

Sitting near the departure end of Incirlik Airbase when the F-111s and the
Turkish F-104s were departing was pretty thrilling, too. The -104s, when
fully spun up, howled like a hangar door with a stuck wheel being dragged
across it's track. That's the only way I've ever been able to describe that
sound.

The crackle of the B-1s four engines in afterburner as it does a reversing
turn, pointing it's tail straight at you, in an airshow.

Last Wednesday hearing the sound of the last ever Concorde departure as our
final one was flown to the museum at Filton.

The 5 cylinder radial on a Baby Lakes that I just got to hand swing - pure
vintage fun!

The corncob radial on the Corsair starting and warming up - sounds even
better than being at full throttle!

Someone else mentioned the MATS Connie. I got to see and hear her come in
to Duxford a few years ago. Lovely in the extreme!

There are more but I'm not entirely coherent, being home with the flu, so
they're escaping my mind. I think it's the sounds of aviation that are most
thrilling. You can see nearly any airplane on static display in a museum
somewhere, but it's cold and lifeless. To hear it with it's engines running
is to hear it breath and thrive. That's thrilling!

Shawn

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I suddenly found myself surrounded on 3 sides by all the Spits and
> Mustangs
> > doing their runups at the same time - 19 Merlins revving up, churning
the
> > air with their props, making the ground shake, creating a deafening
sweet
> > racket which I couldn't bring myself to block from my ears. They rang
for
> 8
> > hours afterward but it was worth every minute.
>
> Thanks for sharing that, Shawn. I've been at OSH numerous times when a
> dozen (or more) Mustangs were doing their run-ups, and I still get shivers

> just thinking about it!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Frederick Wilson
December 3rd 03, 11:35 AM
Nothing like the true sound of freedom that the ole UH-1 Huey gives. I love
that sound.

Most Depressing sound: the sound of silence at altitude. When the wind
outside the cabin is making more noise than the power producers, it anit a
good thing.

"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

> Triple Delta

Tom Fleischman
December 3rd 03, 12:46 PM
The space shuttle Atlantis lifting off was perhaos the single most
awesome sound I've ever heard.

In article >, DeltaDeltaDelta
> wrote:

> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.
>
> Triple Delta

Ron Parsons
December 3rd 03, 02:01 PM
In article >,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" > wrote:

>This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
>feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
>powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
>such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
>hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
>firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
>that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.

B-36 overhead.

The starter whine and first chufs of a B-17 starting.

A pair of 106's lighting burners for the dawn patrol.

B-26 with wheels just barely off the ground on takeoff.

--
Ron

CVBreard
December 3rd 03, 02:50 PM
The gentle purr of the Continental 6-cylinder O-300-D (145 hp on a really good
day) in earlier Cessna 172s, with my wife in the right front seat and our kids
sleeping in the back seat...

Ah, yes....

Jim
December 3rd 03, 04:25 PM
Every 5 days from August through September we have our potatoes sprayed by a
local aerial applicator. Our house sits at the north end of one field and
just across the road from another field. The sound of either the big radial
of the old Air Tractors or even the newer turbines is awesome at 5:00am
while we lay in bed upstairs and the planes come over just missing the
rooftop. It's also so cool to wake up early and walk outside at daybreak
during that time, it's normally so quiet that you can hear the planes at 3
different strips start up and take off miles away.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Jim Weir
December 3rd 03, 04:53 PM
Ah, I love the smell of dichlorodifluortoluene in the morning.

{;-)

Jim

"Jim" >

->Every 5 days from August through September we have our potatoes sprayed by a
->local aerial applicator. The sound of either the big radial
->of the old Air Tractors or even the newer turbines is awesome at 5:00am

http://www.rst-engr.com

Jim
December 3rd 03, 05:08 PM
LOL :) Actually it's mostly Chlorathalonil w/zinc and it smells kinda like
chalk. But if you can say methamidophos, you can really say stink!
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Jim Weir" > wrote in message
> Ah, I love the smell of dichlorodifluortoluene in the morning.
>
> {;-)
>
> Jim
>

> "Jim" >
> shared these priceless pearls of wisdom:
>
> ->Every 5 days from August through September we have our potatoes sprayed
by a
> ->local aerial applicator. The sound of either the big radial
> ->of the old Air Tractors or even the newer turbines is awesome at 5:00am
>
> Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup)
> VP Eng RST Pres. Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor
> http://www.rst-engr.com

GLPILOTSRV
December 3rd 03, 06:14 PM
In article >,
"lardsoup" > writes:

>SR-71.

Wish I could hear one. Only got to see one on static display at ADW Open House
years ago.

Favorite recip---P-51 Merlin

Favorite Jet---F-14D Super Tomcat in full afterburner.

G. Lee

G.R. Patterson III
December 3rd 03, 06:54 PM
Jim wrote:

> The sound of either the big radial
> of the old Air Tractors or even the newer turbines is awesome at 5:00am
> while we lay in bed upstairs and the planes come over just missing the
> rooftop.

Several years ago, I was camping at Sun'n Fun, right off the end of the runway.
They had one B-17 on display down there that year. About 6:30, that sucker went
overhead about 500' up on takeoff. Hell of an alarm clock!

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".

Bob Martin
December 3rd 03, 07:07 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta > wrote in message
> This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some
1000
> feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
> powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
> such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
> hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
> firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot
remark
> that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels
funeral'.

Space shuttle liftoff... but I guess that doesn't really count.

JFLEISC
December 3rd 03, 11:04 PM
It was the sound of the engine as it hummed in my Sonrai. Of course I only
realized how beautiful it sounded AFTER it blew up in flight.

Jim

Paul Sengupta
December 3rd 03, 11:05 PM
"ShawnD2112" > wrote in message
> The crackle of the B-1s four engines in afterburner as it does a reversing
> turn, pointing it's tail straight at you, in an airshow.

Yeah. Nice. Like the sound of Concorde on take-off! Except you can
(could) get closer to Concorde as it flies directly over your head at when
standing near the end of the runway.

> Last Wednesday hearing the sound of the last ever Concorde departure as
our
> final one was flown to the museum at Filton.

It was high though. I guess a lot less fuel on board than on a transatlantic
flight. Where were you standing? Was your car parked there? What car
were you in? What do you look like? (I'll look out for you on my video)

> Someone else mentioned the MATS Connie. I got to see and hear her come in
> to Duxford a few years ago. Lovely in the extreme!

Yes, I was there. But you weren't allowed near it. It was at the
PFA rally the previous day, and there I had a good close up look
and spoke to the people involved.

> I think it's the sounds of aviation that are most
> thrilling. You can see nearly any airplane on static display in a museum
> somewhere, but it's cold and lifeless. To hear it with it's engines
running
> is to hear it breath and thrive. That's thrilling!

Our Hurricane at Brooklands should be returning to taxi-able condition.

Don't know if we get engines too when we get Concorde 202 from
Filton...don't suppose they'll allow us to taxi that! :-)

Paul

Frederick Wilson
December 3rd 03, 11:36 PM
Larry,

I said the same thing. It's a great sound.

Fred

"Larry Fransson" > wrote in message
> Bell UH-1
>
> --