PDA

View Full Version : Houston crashes

Big John
December 10th 03, 05:51 PM
This mornings Houston Chronicle.

"Air crashes kill 3 at 2 area airports"
"Wind gusts possible factor."

We had a couple of squall lines come through yesterday and some gusty
winds. No names, aircraft types (said small planes) , etc. Crashes
occurred at Sugar Land Municipal and Livingston airport. Will post any
more that comes out.

Big John

Aardvark
December 10th 03, 06:05 PM
Big John wrote:
> This mornings Houston Chronicle.
>
> "Air crashes kill 3 at 2 area airports"
> "Wind gusts possible factor."
>
> We had a couple of squall lines come through yesterday and some gusty
> winds. No names, aircraft types (said small planes) , etc. Crashes
> occurred at Sugar Land Municipal and Livingston airport. Will post any
> more that comes out.
>
> Big John

http://www2.faa.gov/avr/aai/B_1210_N.txt
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2283586

John T
December 10th 03, 06:33 PM
"Aardvark" > wrote in message

> http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2283586

Rhetorical Q: Is a "Piper P-28" the same as a Piper PA-28? :)

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Teacherjh
December 11th 03, 12:47 AM
>> Rhetorical Q: Is a "Piper P-28" the same as a Piper PA-28? :)

Since the quesion is rhetorical, I won't answer. :)

Jose

Dave S
December 11th 03, 05:58 AM
i "WAS" supposed to be doing a night rental checkout that night at EFD
but we scrubbed with the winds 290@15g29 (closest rwy was 35) in the
briefing.. Scrubbed at 7p.. at 10p.. it was all over the news..

I havent figured out the one at SGR.. they were landing 1500 feet short
to have clipped the powerlines on that ILS/VASI runway..

Dave

Big John wrote:
> This mornings Houston Chronicle.
>
> "Air crashes kill 3 at 2 area airports"
> "Wind gusts possible factor."
>
> We had a couple of squall lines come through yesterday and some gusty
> winds. No names, aircraft types (said small planes) , etc. Crashes
> occurred at Sugar Land Municipal and Livingston airport. Will post any
> more that comes out.
>
> Big John

Dan Luke
December 11th 03, 12:32 PM
"Dave S" wrote:
> I havent figured out the one at SGR.. they were landing 1500 feet
short
> to have clipped the powerlines on that ILS/VASI runway..

The pilot may have succumbed to the "black hole" illusion.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Gene Seibel
December 11th 03, 03:23 PM
Severe wind shear?? Or somenting unrelated to wind.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

> I havent figured out the one at SGR.. they were landing 1500 feet short
> to have clipped the powerlines on that ILS/VASI runway..
>

> Dave
>
> Big John wrote:
> > This mornings Houston Chronicle.
> >
> > "Air crashes kill 3 at 2 area airports"
> > "Wind gusts possible factor."
> >
> > We had a couple of squall lines come through yesterday and some gusty
> > winds. No names, aircraft types (said small planes) , etc. Crashes
> > occurred at Sugar Land Municipal and Livingston airport. Will post any
> > more that comes out.
> >
> > Big John

Corrie
December 11th 03, 04:47 PM
"Bob Downing, a flight instructor who also was attempting to land his
aircraft, said he was about five miles behind the plane that crashed.
He said he saw the plane approaching the airport and noticed a bright
flash.

"I saw the flash and then the runway lights went black," he said."

THAT would be scary.

Dave S > wrote in message . net>...
> i "WAS" supposed to be doing a night rental checkout that night at EFD
> but we scrubbed with the winds 290@15g29 (closest rwy was 35) in the
> briefing.. Scrubbed at 7p.. at 10p.. it was all over the news..
>
> I havent figured out the one at SGR.. they were landing 1500 feet short
> to have clipped the powerlines on that ILS/VASI runway..
>

> Dave
>
> Big John wrote:
> > This mornings Houston Chronicle.
> >
> > "Air crashes kill 3 at 2 area airports"
> > "Wind gusts possible factor."
> >
> > We had a couple of squall lines come through yesterday and some gusty
> > winds. No names, aircraft types (said small planes) , etc. Crashes
> > occurred at Sugar Land Municipal and Livingston airport. Will post any
> > more that comes out.
> >
> > Big John

Jeff
December 11th 03, 07:35 PM
Agree, I probably would have diverted to the biggest brighest airport in the area.

Corrie wrote:

> "I saw the flash and then the runway lights went black," he said."
>
> THAT would be scary.

Google