PDA

View Full Version : 94-yr old CFI

Dan Luke
December 13th 03, 06:10 PM
NPR continued its above-the-rest quality aviation reporting this morning
with this story:
http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1545986.html
Nice of them to include flying links on the page, too.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Ken Martin
December 13th 03, 06:46 PM
I took my private checkride with Ms. Johnson in 1991.

--
Ken Martin
N5888Q '65 M20C
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> NPR continued its above-the-rest quality aviation reporting this morning
> with this story:
> http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1545986.html
> Nice of them to include flying links on the page, too.
> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM

Jay Honeck
December 13th 03, 11:44 PM
> Nice of them to include flying links on the page, too.

They even have a link to the "$100 Hamburger" page!

Ya just gotta love NPR... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

vincent p. norris
December 14th 03, 02:40 AM
>Ya just gotta love NPR... ;-)

Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my conservative friends
hate it, won't listen to it, because (they say) it's "liberal."

vince norris

Cub Driver
December 14th 03, 11:27 AM
>>Ya just gotta love NPR... ;-)
>
>Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my conservative friends
>hate it, won't listen to it, because (they say) it's "liberal."

Not for nothing is it known as National Partisan Radio.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Dan Luke
December 14th 03, 01:46 PM
"Cub Driver" wrote:
> >>Ya just gotta love NPR... ;-)
> >
> >Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my
> > conservative friends hate it, won't listen to it,
> > because (they say) it's "liberal."
>
> Not for nothing is it known as National Partisan Radio.

As a person who considers himself neither conservative nor liberal, by
the current American definitions of the words, I find that NPR makes
more effort than any other news source to provide balanced, in-depth
coverage. It certainly takes more care to be accurate than the shrieking
sensation-mongers at CNN, Fox, NBC, etc.

Right wing charges of partisanship are hard to support in light of the
fact that NPR frequently uses commentary from sources to the right of
center, e.g. The Wall Street Journal, U. S. News and World Report, The
American Enterprise Institute and The Cato Institute, just to name a
few.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Rob Perkins
December 14th 03, 04:02 PM
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:46:47 -0600, "Dan Luke"
> wrote:

>Right wing charges of partisanship are hard to support in light of the
>fact that NPR frequently uses commentary from sources to the right of
>center, e.g. The Wall Street Journal, U. S. News and World Report, The
>American Enterprise Institute and The Cato Institute, just to name a
>few.

In the hourly news summaries, the form of an NPR story during the
Clinton years seemed to start with some exposition, usually something
the Republican Congress was starting up, followed by some in-depth
analysis why whatever it was was desperately wrong. I've spot-checked
them since 2000; they appear to not have changed their approach to
reporting.

The in-depth reporting, if it's human interest or pure exposition, is
usually excellent. In-depth political reporting suffers from the same
stuff that has plagued some newspapers: The slant is in the way the
piece is organized and edited, not in the material the reporter
gathered. The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.

Like all news media outlets, they too have unquestioned premises. One
of them is that Democrats are Better.

Rob

Dan Luke
December 14th 03, 04:16 PM
"Rob Perkins" wrote:
> The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.

I simply don't hear that, and I listen for it.

> Like all news media outlets, they too have unquestioned premises. One
> of them is that Democrats are Better.

Might that not be in the ear of the listener?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

KeiBeau
December 14th 03, 05:34 PM
(Ken Martin) wrote in
>:

>http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1545986.html

She's amazing ... I took my PPL checkride with her in 1982 ... in a C152
and even then she got in and out better than me and I was 40 years her
junior! It's good to know she's still there and putting more of us in the
air.

vincent p. norris
December 15th 03, 12:47 AM
> I've spot-checked them since 2000;

What that probably means is that you've noticed things that support
your belief and overlooked those that don't.

Students learning to do research are cautioned about the necessity of
carefully recording every bit of evidence that contradicts their
hypothesis because of the all-too-human tendency to overlook or forget
that stuff. It's known as "selective retention."

>The slant is in the way the piece is organized and edited, not in the material
>the reporter gathered. The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.

As an Independent who voted for more Republicans than Democrats in the
recent election, I think that's your perception, not reality.

I suggest that you would consider NPR to be "absolutely unbiased" if
it agreed with you 100 percent of the time. That's human nature.

vince norris

vincent p. norris
December 15th 03, 12:54 AM
>>Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my conservative friends
>>hate it, won't listen to it, because (they say) it's "liberal."
>
>Not for nothing is it known as National Partisan Radio.

Well, Dan, it's also known as National Petroleum Radio.

Names like those are thrown around by people who don't like the fact
that the media don't exactly agree with them.

Remember when Spiro Agnew attacked the "effete liberal media" in an
attempt to defend Nixon during the Watergate investigation?

That speech was written by a very conservative guy who happens to be
an editor of the New York Times!

vince norris

Philip Sondericker
December 15th 03, 01:37 AM
in article , vincent p. norris at
wrote on 12/14/03 4:54 PM:

>>> Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my conservative friends
>>> hate it, won't listen to it, because (they say) it's "liberal."
>>
>> Not for nothing is it known as National Partisan Radio.
>
> Well, Dan, it's also known as National Petroleum Radio.
>
> Names like those are thrown around by people who don't like the fact
> that the media don't exactly agree with them.

The truth is, the media is a corporate entity, and will usually do its best
to reflect whatever it perceives to be public opinion--in other words, just
like any other business, they seek to keep their customers happy and protect
their bottom line. If they were ever to truly fulfill their proper role as
an independent "fourth estate", they'd question every word out of our
leader's mouths, and then you'd *really* hear a lot of whining about "bias".

Doug Carter
December 15th 03, 03:22 AM
vincent p. norris > wrote in message >...
> >Ya just gotta love NPR... ;-)
>
> Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my conservative friends
> hate it, won't listen to it, because (they say) it's "liberal."
>
> vince norris

I check in from time to time to keep up with who is victum of the
week. With hundreds of channels on the air all day and all night it
does need a bit over the top to for NPR to still receive involuntary
contributions from all of us though.

Rob Perkins
December 15th 03, 04:02 AM
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:16:36 -0600, "Dan Luke"
> wrote:

>"Rob Perkins" wrote:
>> The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.
>
>I simply don't hear that, and I listen for it.

You might not find it unless you triangulate with other news outlets.

>> Like all news media outlets, they too have unquestioned premises. One
>> of them is that Democrats are Better.
>
>Might that not be in the ear of the listener?

Of course it might.

Rob

Joe Morris
December 15th 03, 03:30 PM
"Dan Luke" > writes:

>NPR continued its above-the-rest quality aviation reporting this morning
>with this story:
>http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1545986.html
>Nice of them to include flying links on the page, too.

Evelyn is an amazing person. Did you see the very nice writeup in
_Flight Training_ a couple of years back when she went to Oskosh? The
captain of the (commercial) flight she was on discovered her name
on the passenger manifest -- and not only made a PA announcing her
presence (and noting that she had been his first flight instructor),
but also arranged for a (literal) red carpet to be brought out
to the airplane when it landed.

I lived for many years in East Tennessee, and for a while would
occasionally fly up to Morristown after dark to see Evelyn.

One of my goals that I never met before leaving the area was to become
qualified as a glider instructor; my intent was to give Evelyn (at my
expense) some glider lessons so that my logbook would be among the very
few in existence to reflect the giving to her of instruction in an
aircraft in which she was not qualified.

Joe Morris

Steve Robertson
December 15th 03, 05:30 PM
I had my PPL checkride with "Miss Evelyn" in 1983. I thought she was about
100 years old back then. Unlike most folks, I didn't especially care for her
(yes, I passed). But my hat's off to anybody that's still doing what they
want to do after nearly a century.

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft A23-24 Musketeer

Dan Luke wrote:

> NPR continued its above-the-rest quality aviation reporting this morning
> with this story:
> http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1545986.html
> Nice of them to include flying links on the page, too.
> --
> Dan
> C172RG at BFM

Malcolm Teas
December 15th 03, 07:59 PM
Rob Perkins > wrote in message >...
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:16:36 -0600, "Dan Luke"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Rob Perkins" wrote:
> >> The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.
> >
> >I simply don't hear that, and I listen for it.
>
> You might not find it unless you triangulate with other news outlets.

Well, if you triangulate with other sources that you think are neutral
but are really partisan and you might incorrectly conclude that NPR is
partisian the opposite direction. Or, in navigational terms, make
sure your benchmarks are accurate.

It was great to hear about Evelyn. And it was something I picked up
no where else. That's why I listen to NPR. You might agree with me
that we should all be careful of believing everything we hear, from
any source. NPR at least will give me ample information about a story
and will cover a variety of subjects. Unlike most networks who just
give me at best an useless summary of a narrow range of topics or at
worst will try to tell me what to think.

G.R. Patterson III
December 15th 03, 09:24 PM
Dan Luke wrote:

> "Rob Perkins" wrote:
> > The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.
>
> I simply don't hear that, and I listen for it.

I listen to NPR on the local outlet (WNYC). I find that slant a lot, but after
listening for a while, I've noticed that it is particularly the case with only
some of the hosts. There's one guy, for example, named Brian Lehrner who's on
in the morning and never misses a chance to take a dig at Republicans. Today,
he was on vacation or something, and his replacement did not do this. It seems
to me that most of the national segments ("Fresh Air", for example), are pretty
reasonable. There are portions of the broadcast day, however, that are taken up
by New York centric shows. I doubt these shows would be broadcast on whatever
station handles NPR in (for example) Nashville. With the exception of the BBC
feed in the morning, many of the news presentations are done by the local show
hosts.

Perhaps the slant Rob is seeing is the result of bias on the part of his local
NPR feed? In that case, you would not necessarily be hearing the same thing.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

W9MV
December 16th 03, 01:33 AM
I took my IFR check ride in January of 2003 from Evelyn, while the verbal was
realatively easy (scored a 94 on my written, and I was told that this is
typical) the flight exam was not.

From my notes I wrote the evening after the exam, I wrote:

On the Morristown LDA approach, about 3 miles from the LEABS intersection,
Evelyn failed both my H.S.I and the Artificial Horizon. At that point I
realized that I did not have my second NAV set up for the JXT ADF. I quickly
set that unit up but this distracted me enough as to begin descent about 30
seconds after the FAF. However, I was able to get the airplane down and the
actual ADF approach went well.
I thought having that type of failure at that particular time was really a
tough scenario, I thought I handled it well and that I was going to hear, "nice
work Mark".
But rather I heard "I'm not going to fail you because you delayed your decesnt
at FAF.
It was an excellent experience, and feel lucky to have Evelyn perform the test
on a test that I really worked hard to pass.

Mark

Rob Perkins
December 16th 03, 08:05 AM
On 15 Dec 2003 11:59:42 -0800, (Malcolm Teas) wrote:

>NPR at least will give me ample information about a story
>and will cover a variety of subjects. Unlike most networks who just
>give me at best an useless summary of a narrow range of topics or at
>worst will try to tell me what to think.

Tell me about it. Don't get me wrong; I love radio and radio news
stories. For human interest news reporting NPR is alone in its league.
The "news magazines" on the main broadcast networks (including and
*most* especially FOX News in this regard) hold no appeal in
comparison.

I just don't get into my car for commutes anymore to get a regular NPR
diet.

But I triangulated again today, catching most of "The World" on OPB.
They were, as with every other time I've heard them, down on most of
the things the President stands for as re foreign policy. I just can't
be making it up.

Rob, fan of "A Prairie Home Companion"

Joe Morris
December 16th 03, 02:01 PM
Steve Robertson > writes:

>I had my PPL checkride with "Miss Evelyn" in 1983. I thought she was about
>100 years old back then. Unlike most folks, I didn't especially care for her
>(yes, I passed). But my hat's off to anybody that's still doing what they
>want to do after nearly a century.

Evelyn is not, and never has been, someone who ignores errors. I suspect
that she would be a very bad politician, in that she has her high
standards and isn't willing to apply lower standards to anyone she
evaluates...and isn't hesitant about providing the evaluation in
no uncertain terms.

It's not always a pleasant experience for the recipient, although
I suggest that it is educational.

Although I never talked to her about it, I suspect that she got her
attitude from her first flight instructor, Elmer Wood. Elmer was
a gen-you-ine barnstormer who taught students (inlcuding Evelyn) in
the WWII Civilian Pilot Training program...and he was one of those
pilots who when they flew, the aircraft would *never* think of doing
anything that Elmer didn't want it to do.

One attribute that Evelyn didn't acquire from Elmer was a disdain for
the finer points of the CARs (now FARs); the title character in _The
Great Waldo Pepper_ reminds me of Elmer. I was terrified of him the
first time we met -- his signature is on the fourth line of my first
logbook -- but over the years we flew together several times and I
learned just how good a pilot, instructor, and friend he could be.

Although to the best of my knowledge they never met, I would think
that Evelyn and the late Grace Hopper (aka "Amazing Grace") would find
their personalities to be quite similar. (There might be some interesting
arguments too...)

I don't know if the NPR program mentioned it, but back in the (mid?)
1970s Evelyn was a participant on the TV quiz show "To Tell the Truth".
She was the one required to answer panelists' questions truthfuly,
but at this distance I cannot recall if the panel correctly identified
her.

Joe Morris

Rob Perkins
December 16th 03, 04:02 PM
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:24:11 -0500, "G.R. Patterson III"
> wrote:

>Perhaps the slant Rob is seeing is the result of bias on the part of his local
>NPR feed? In that case, you would not necessarily be hearing the same thing.

My local NPR feed is Oregon Public Broadcasting these days.

Rob

Booger
December 17th 03, 05:50 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> NPR continued its above-the-rest quality aviation reporting this morning
> with this story:
> http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1545986.html
> Nice of them to include flying links on the page, too.

Who signed her off? Wilbur or Orville?

vincent p. norris
December 19th 03, 02:38 AM
>The truth is, the media is a corporate entity, and will usually do its best
>to reflect whatever it perceives to be public opinion--in other words, just
>like any other business, they seek to keep their customers happy and protect
>their bottom line.

Quite true of the great majority of the printed and broadcast media.

>If they were ever to truly fulfill their proper role as
>an independent "fourth estate", they'd question every word out of our
>leader's mouths.......,

That is exactly what the Founding Fathers intended them to do. It is
the primary reason for the part of the First Amendment that protects
the press from government harrassment.

>...and then you'd *really* hear a lot of whining about "bias".

I guess it would depend on whose ox is being gored.

vince norris

vincent p. norris
December 19th 03, 02:44 AM
>I check in from time to time to keep up with who is victum of the
>week.

A famous editor said it's the media's job to comfort the afflicted and
afflict the comfortable. A pretty good statement of the reason for the
First Amendment.

>With hundreds of channels on the air all day and all night it
>does need a bit over the top to for NPR to still receive involuntary
>contributions from all of us though.

Well, most of the other broadcast and print media receive our
involuntary contributions, too, so fair is fair, I guess.

vince norris

David CL Francis
December 22nd 03, 06:18 PM
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 at 13:09:46 in message
>, Robert Lyons
> wrote:
>KeiBeau wrote:
>
>> She's amazing ... I took my PPL checkride with her in 1982 ... in a
>>C152 and even then she got in and out better than me and I was 40
>>years her junior! It's good to know she's still there and putting
>>more of us in the air.
>

>The article says she has *58,000* hours of flight time. That's more than
>6.6 *years*!

At 260 'working days' a year that is 3.78 hours a day for 59 years.
--
David CL Francis

vincent p. norris
December 27th 03, 04:45 PM
>I know I'm a bit late getting back to this thread, Vince, but you'll be
>pleased to know that we are now "under-writing" our local public radio
>station, WSUI. (That's what they call "advertising"...)

Good for you!

>I get most of my news from NPR, with a smattering of other talk radio, two
>newspapers, and Yahoo News thrown in the mix. NPR, although occasionally
>biased against conservatives,

If you mean they occasionally broadcast something you wish they
hadn't, that isn't necessarily bias. They also broadcast many things
the liberals wish they hadn't. You may not notice those, because they
don't offend you.

The longest-running program on public TV was Bill Buckley's talk show,
which ran for decades, till he retired. If the CPB were biased
against conservatives, they would't have aired such a show.

>.... is an essential part of my day, and I put my >money where my mouth is.

Fair enough!

vince norris

Jay Honeck
December 27th 03, 07:04 PM
> Well, most of the other broadcast and print media receive our
> involuntary contributions, too, so fair is fair, I guess.

I know I'm a bit late getting back to this thread, Vince, but you'll be
pleased to know that we are now "under-writing" our local public radio
station, WSUI. (That's what they call "advertising"...)

I get most of my news from NPR, with a smattering of other talk radio, two
newspapers, and Yahoo News thrown in the mix. NPR, although occasionally
biased against conservatives, is an essential part of my day, and I put my
money where my mouth is.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA