PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion Protection

jc
February 13th 05, 10:49 AM
Looking at a LSA (Australian Ultralight) 6061 homebuilt for next to sea
outside storage. I would prefer not to paint it and loose ~ 1hr of fuel so
would a geen/gold chromate colour loose too much in corrosion protection?

Rude comments invited.
--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
sanity of the author is not guaranteed

EMAIL - and are not valid email
addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.

......... :-\)\)
February 15th 05, 11:42 AM
I won't do it - not in a salt environment. Depends on how long you expect it
to last I guess. You might get away with it in the desert but not near the
sea.

I would definitely alodine and prime all parts prior ro assembly. Goop all
the joints on assembly then apply a good quality urethane finish (or
similar). Anything less is not worth the risk in a salt environment. If you
don't believe me talk to operators of GA airplanes that live at airports
near the sea.

"jc" > wrote in message
> Looking at a LSA (Australian Ultralight) 6061 homebuilt for next to sea
> outside storage. I would prefer not to paint it and loose ~ 1hr of fuel so
> would a geen/gold chromate colour loose too much in corrosion protection?
>
> Rude comments invited.
> --
>
> regards
>
> jc
> '
> LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety
and/or
> sanity of the author is not guaranteed
>
> EMAIL - and are not valid email
> addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.

Google