PDA

View Full Version : Question for Net Gurus Re: My New Aviation Videos

Jay Honeck
December 17th 03, 03:14 PM
I just ran these videos from home for the first time, and was surprised (to
say the least) to see text over-written ON my videos, saying "PicVideo" and
a website called: www.jpg.com.

It appears on both:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/low_pass_in_iowa_city.htm

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/landing_in_iowa_city.htm

What the heck is THAT, and how did that text end up on my video? (It's NOT
on the original videos.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Aardvark
December 17th 03, 03:28 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> I just ran these videos from home for the first time, and was surprised (to
> say the least) to see text over-written ON my videos, saying "PicVideo" and
> a website called: www.jpg.com.
>
> It appears on both:
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/low_pass_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/landing_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> What the heck is THAT, and how did that text end up on my video? (It's NOT
> on the original videos.)

Don't see that text from here.
Useing IE6.0 and WMP 9.0

WW

PhyrePhox
December 17th 03, 03:30 PM
It's put in by the plug in used to display the video in the web page. You
should use windows media encoder and encode at a couple of different
bitrates. There will be no text over lay and the bitrate will be optimized
for the connection that the viewer has.

Paul Davis

ps Did you get the recoded version of the rouges gallery I sent to you? Did
you like it?

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> I just ran these videos from home for the first time, and was surprised
> say the least) to see text over-written ON my videos, saying "PicVideo"
and
> a website called: www.jpg.com.
>
> It appears on both:
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/low_pass_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/landing_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> What the heck is THAT, and how did that text end up on my video? (It's
NOT
> on the original videos.)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Michelle P
December 17th 03, 03:56 PM
Jay,
Mac OS 10.3.1
Netscape 7.1 did not work well at all. no image.
Ie 5.2 worked fine.
Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Jay Honeck
December 17th 03, 08:50 PM
> It's put in by the plug in used to display the video in the web page. You
> should use windows media encoder and encode at a couple of different
> bitrates.

How do I do that?

> ps Did you get the recoded version of the rouges gallery I sent to you?

Nope. When did you send it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
December 17th 03, 08:52 PM
> Neither displays at all with Netscape 4.79 on Windows 2000.

I don't have any idea how to make videos work with older software. (Hell, I
barely know how to make it work with *newer* software! :-)

Can't you upgrade to a newer version for free?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Tom Fleischman
December 17th 03, 09:25 PM
In article <Tp_Db.379068$Dw6.1226897@attbi_s02>, Jay Honeck
> wrote:

> I just ran these videos from home for the first time, and was surprised (to
> say the least) to see text over-written ON my videos, saying "PicVideo" and
> a website called: www.jpg.com.
>
> It appears on both:
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/low_pass_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/landing_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> What the heck is THAT, and how did that text end up on my video? (It's NOT
> on the original videos.)

I didn't see that text when I ran them.

Mac OX 10.3.1
Safari 1.1.1 w/ Quicktime Plugin
Quicktime 6.4

Laoded fast, ran well, looked good...

Get a Mac...

Jay Honeck
December 17th 03, 09:36 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make the Rogue's Gallery page automatically scale
to whatever screen resolution the user is running?

For example, if someone has their screen set to 800 x 600 (rather than 1024
x 768) resolution, they have to "side-scroll" the "Rogue's Gallery" page.
This is NOT fun.

Yet other websites look okay no matter what your screen resolution is set
to. Somehow they "know" what your resolution is, and scale themselves
accordingly.

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

ET
December 17th 03, 10:22 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in

> I just ran these videos from home for the first time, and was
> surprised (to say the least) to see text over-written ON my videos,
> saying "PicVideo" and a website called: www.jpg.com.
>
> It appears on both:
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/low_pass_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/landing_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> What the heck is THAT, and how did that text end up on my video?
> (It's NOT on the original videos.)

It's gotta be whatever you are using in your browser at home to view them.
I get no such text either.

--
ET >:)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

G.R. Patterson III
December 17th 03, 10:44 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I just ran these videos from home for the first time, and was surprised (to
> say the least) to see text over-written ON my videos, saying "PicVideo" and
> a website called: www.jpg.com.

Neither displays at all with Netscape 4.79 on Windows 2000.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Montblack
December 17th 03, 11:02 PM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> Can anyone tell me how to make the Rogue's Gallery page automatically
scale
> to whatever screen resolution the user is running?
>
> For example, if someone has their screen set to 800 x 600 (rather than
1024
> x 768) resolution, they have to "side-scroll" the "Rogue's Gallery" page.
> This is NOT fun.

I am shocked that it's *you* who eventually brought this up, that's usually
my job <g>.

Keep an eye out for a package for Atlas.

Yup, on this important date in aviation history - I sent [the item] down to
Iowa City ....in a big brown truck.

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

Jay Honeck
December 17th 03, 11:32 PM
> I am shocked that it's *you* who eventually brought this up, that's
usually
> my job <g>.

Well, I was finally able to duplicate the problem, after seeing it happen on
another machine "in person". I don't understand it, but -- if things go
the way they usually do with this HTML stuff -- fixing it will mean re-doing
the ENTIRE website, including all the photos, followed by upgrading my
operating system and browser software to the latest standards.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
December 17th 03, 11:32 PM
> Keep an eye out for a package for Atlas.

Wow -- first Vlado's P-51 Mustang parts, now this?

There really *is* a Christmas! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter Duniho
December 18th 03, 02:44 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to make the Rogue's Gallery page automatically
scale
> to whatever screen resolution the user is running?

Your website generally has this problem. It's not just the gallery.

I haven't bothered to look at the source for your site, so I don't have any
specific suggestions. But you should look at the way you flow the pictures.
Where the whole page doesn't fit in the browser width, I can always find
some sequence of pictures that occupy the same line. Your problem is that
the page's source is requiring the pictures to exist on the same line, and
not allowing them to wrap to the next row. Thus, the page has an effective
"minimum width", below which scrolling horizontally will be required to see
the whole thing.

Fix those non-breaking rows of pictures, and my guess is that the problem
will go away.

Pete

PhyrePhox
December 18th 03, 04:21 AM
Hi Jay,

You need to get the windows media encoder at I think
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx.
It makes things real painless. :)

I don't see the text over laid like you do but got to looking into
it. I'll bet someone at some time installed something from Pegasus software
and it's taken over the browser plug in for IE. If you open up windows
media player and go to the options there should be something in there that
will let WMP take things back over.

Hmm I sent it a couple of days ago. I can resend it if you want.
That thread kind of got off topic and I stopped reading. :)

Paul Davis

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > It's put in by the plug in used to display the video in the web page.
You
> > should use windows media encoder and encode at a couple of different
> > bitrates.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> > ps Did you get the recoded version of the rouges gallery I sent to you?
>
> Nope. When did you send it?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

PhyrePhox
December 18th 03, 04:24 AM
I can do that for you Jay. :) $10 if you can guess what I do for a living.
:)

Paul Davis

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to make the Rogue's Gallery page automatically
scale
> to whatever screen resolution the user is running?
>
> For example, if someone has their screen set to 800 x 600 (rather than
1024
> x 768) resolution, they have to "side-scroll" the "Rogue's Gallery" page.
> This is NOT fun.
>
> Yet other websites look okay no matter what your screen resolution is set
> to. Somehow they "know" what your resolution is, and scale themselves
> accordingly.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

BTIZ
December 18th 03, 04:44 AM
don't get it here either Jay.. WinXP with IE6

nice vids... next time.. maybe one out the front window for landing..

and what is it with all that FLAT land...

BT

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> I just ran these videos from home for the first time, and was surprised
> say the least) to see text over-written ON my videos, saying "PicVideo"
and
> a website called: www.jpg.com.
>
> It appears on both:
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/low_pass_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> http://www.alexisparkinn.com/landing_in_iowa_city.htm
>
> What the heck is THAT, and how did that text end up on my video? (It's
NOT
> on the original videos.)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

PhyrePhox
December 18th 03, 04:48 AM
Don't do that. I was going to surprise you but......... The way it's set
up now you will need to change a few things. Each row of pictures is a table
and each picture is in another table. Change the first table element to add
width="xxx" where xxx is the MAX size wide you want it. Say 640 for people
that have tiny monitors 740 is the standard now days.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do the second thing because Front Page
has hidden it in a style sheet somewhere as part of a webbot. What you
basically need to do is change the width of the columns in the middle and
left side to 25% and the right most column to 100%. that will make it
dynamic mostly. I'll send you a better way soon. :)

Paul Davis

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I am shocked that it's *you* who eventually brought this up, that's
> usually
> > my job <g>.
>
> Well, I was finally able to duplicate the problem, after seeing it happen
on
> another machine "in person". I don't understand it, but -- if things go
> the way they usually do with this HTML stuff -- fixing it will mean
re-doing
> the ENTIRE website, including all the photos, followed by upgrading my
> operating system and browser software to the latest standards.
>
> ;-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
December 18th 03, 02:55 PM
> I can do that for you Jay. :) $10 if you can guess what I do for a
living.
> :)
>
> Paul Davis

Do I win $10 -- or must I *pay* $10? ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
December 18th 03, 02:57 PM
> dynamic mostly. I'll send you a better way soon. :)

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jens Krueger
December 19th 03, 05:08 AM
Jay Honeck > wrote:

> I don't have any idea how to make videos work with older software. (Hell, I
> barely know how to make it work with *newer* software! :-)

See, for this "Standards" were invented. If you just encode a "standard"
*.mpg (As in Mpeg 1, see google for details) you make everybody happy.
Like People running Mac OS, Linux, Unix, BeOS and whatnot. Even People
running older Windows' will be able to watch that.

Unfortunately M$ makes it so damn hard to encode "standard" mpeg,
because they like to have their own "standard", as in: "It works if you
run run the latest windows".

> Can't you upgrade to a newer version for free?

Newer version of what?

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.

David Dyer-Bennet
December 19th 03, 06:31 AM
"Jay Honeck" > writes:

> Can anyone tell me how to make the Rogue's Gallery page automatically scale
> to whatever screen resolution the user is running?
>
> For example, if someone has their screen set to 800 x 600 (rather than 1024
> x 768) resolution, they have to "side-scroll" the "Rogue's Gallery" page.
> This is NOT fun.
>
> Yet other websites look okay no matter what your screen resolution is set
> to. Somehow they "know" what your resolution is, and scale themselves
> accordingly.

Can't be done. The window resolution isn't even available in CGI (the
screen resolution is, but not the window).

What most other websites are probably doing is *not* using layouts
with fixed sizes for things, and letting the browser figure it out for
itself. Or having a narrow fixed-width bar in the left margin and
letting the rest format as it likes.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <dragaera.info/>

Jay Honeck
December 19th 03, 02:05 PM
> > Can't you upgrade to a newer version for free?
>
> Newer version of what?

I was talking at George, and referring to Netscape.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III
December 19th 03, 06:06 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> I was talking at George, and referring to Netscape.

That's the way I took it. I might do that eventually, Jay. I'm still getting
comfortable with the new computer. I loaded 4.79 'cause I have the CD for that.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

David Dyer-Bennet
December 19th 03, 07:35 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > writes:

> Jay Honeck wrote:
>>
>> I was talking at George, and referring to Netscape.
>
> That's the way I took it. I might do that eventually, Jay. I'm still
> getting comfortable with the new computer. I loaded 4.79 'cause I
> have the CD for that.

Netscape 4 is badly broken in CSS support, and CSS is the solution
most people are adopting to being reasonably cross-browser. And most
of us have given up trying to support Netscape 4. Current version is
7...
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <dragaera.info/>