PDA

View Full Version : UK 7287M Supermarine SpitfireLFMkXVI ex TE288.jpg

Joseph Testagrose
July 29th 12, 01:38 PM

Graham Harrison[_2_]
July 30th 12, 08:59 PM
"Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message

See the bus in the background? I think it may be one of the specially
bodied double deckers to fit through the arch in the Beverley Bar (in effect
one of the old gates to the town of Beverley in Yorkshire) Here's another
example http://www.sct61.org.uk/ey572

展奄rdo
July 30th 12, 09:11 PM
On 30/07/2012 20:59, Graham Harrison wrote:

> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>
> See the bus in the background? I think it may be one of the specially
> bodied double deckers to fit through the arch in the Beverley Bar (in
> effect one of the old gates to the town of Beverley in Yorkshire)
> Here's another example http://www.sct61.org.uk/ey572

Incredible. When I looked at that picture I allowed my self a silent
lament that whilst it looked interesting I would never discover where it
had been taken.

Thank you Graham.

--
Moving things in still pictures

Graham Harrison[_2_]
July 30th 12, 11:05 PM
"展奄rdo" > wrote in message
> On 30/07/2012 20:59, Graham Harrison wrote:
>>
>> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>>
>> See the bus in the background? I think it may be one of the specially
>> bodied double deckers to fit through the arch in the Beverley Bar (in
>> effect one of the old gates to the town of Beverley in Yorkshire)
>> Here's another example http://www.sct61.org.uk/ey572
>
> Incredible. When I looked at that picture I allowed my self a silent
> lament that whilst it looked interesting I would never discover where it
> had been taken.
>
> Thank you Graham.
>
> --
> Moving things in still pictures

I did wonder if it might be Southampton (given the connection with
Supermarine) but while they had trams with shaped roofs to fit through the
Bargate I can't find any reference to shaped buses. Also bear in mind
those Beverley buses were run by East Yorkshire so they covered a range of
destinations and were then sold on so their potential geographical spread is
quite large.

Graham Harrison[_2_]
July 30th 12, 11:34 PM
"Graham Harrison" > wrote in message

> "展奄rdo" > wrote in message
>> On 30/07/2012 20:59, Graham Harrison wrote:
>>>
>>> "Joseph Testagrose" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> See the bus in the background? I think it may be one of the specially
>>> bodied double deckers to fit through the arch in the Beverley Bar (in
>>> effect one of the old gates to the town of Beverley in Yorkshire)
>>> Here's another example http://www.sct61.org.uk/ey572
>>
>> Incredible. When I looked at that picture I allowed my self a silent
>> lament that whilst it looked interesting I would never discover where it
>> had been taken.
>>
>> Thank you Graham.
>>
>> --
>> Moving things in still pictures
>>

> I did wonder if it might be Southampton (given the connection with
> Supermarine) but while they had trams with shaped roofs to fit through the
> Bargate I can't find any reference to shaped buses. Also bear in mind
> those Beverley buses were run by East Yorkshire so they covered a range of
> destinations and were then sold on so their potential geographical spread
> is quite large.

You got me thinking! I reckon it might have been taken in Hull. There
are overhead wires suggesting a trolleybus system and Hull had a system and
I can find a building which looks very like the building in the far
background along the modern Beverley Road in Hull. The serial also tends
to support the theory because TE288 spent time at Rufforth and later, with
the maintenance serial of 7287M, at Church Fenton both of which are not a
million miles from Hull in the mid 50s and the Hull trolleybus system shut
in 1964. Further support is given on this page
http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=print&thread=2228
which refers to the airframe being parked outside a cinema in Hull to
promote "Reach for the Sky" in 1956. Amazingly I think I've seen this very
airframe because it now lives at the RNZAF museum in Christchurch NZ that I
visited a couple of years ago!

展奄rdo
July 31st 12, 09:22 AM
On 30/07/2012 23:34, Graham Harrison wrote:

> "Graham Harrison" > wrote in
> message ...

>>> Incredible. When I looked at that picture I allowed my self a silent
>>> lament that whilst it looked interesting I would never discover where
>>> it had been taken.
>>>
>>> Thank you Graham.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Moving things in still pictures
>>>

>> I did wonder if it might be Southampton (given the connection with
>> Supermarine) but while they had trams with shaped roofs to fit through
>> the Bargate I can't find any reference to shaped buses. Also bear in
>> mind those Beverley buses were run by East Yorkshire so they covered a
>> range of destinations and were then sold on so their potential
>> geographical spread is quite large.
>
> You got me thinking! I reckon it might have been taken in Hull.
> There are overhead wires suggesting a trolleybus system and Hull had a
> system and I can find a building which looks very like the building in
> the far background along the modern Beverley Road in Hull. The serial
> also tends to support the theory because TE288 spent time at Rufforth
> and later, with the maintenance serial of 7287M, at Church Fenton both
> of which are not a million miles from Hull in the mid 50s and the Hull
> trolleybus system shut in 1964. Further support is given on this page
> http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=print&thread=2228
> which refers to the airframe being parked outside a cinema in Hull to
> promote "Reach for the Sky" in 1956. Amazingly I think I've seen this
> very airframe because it now lives at the RNZAF museum in Christchurch
> NZ that I visited a couple of years ago!

That's brilliant. Thanks again.

Ri奄rdo

--
Moving things in still pictures