PDA

View Full Version : OLC Down?

Dan Marotta
August 1st 12, 05:06 AM
Been trying to upload the day's flight but can't connect to the OLC website.
Anyone else have problems?

Wayne Paul
August 1st 12, 05:17 AM
Dan,

I've also had problems viewing OLC.

Wayne

"Dan Marotta" wrote in message ...

Been trying to upload the day's flight but can't connect to the OLC website.
Anyone else have problems?

Max Kellermann
August 1st 12, 07:47 AM
Dan Marotta > wrote:
> Been trying to upload the day's flight but can't connect to the OLC website.
> Anyone else have problems?

Now's the right time to check out the new SkyLines project! It's a
truly free platform to publish your flights and live tracks, made by
the XCSoar developers:

http://skylines.xcsoar.org/

Modern web interface. View multiple flights on top of each others.
Anonymous IGC file download, no stupid 10 files per day limit. No
need to log in for using the Google Maps view.

Made by volunteers in their free time, not run by a commercial
company. No (covered) advertisement. The source code is public (open
source), just like XCSoar.

Source code:

http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/master/skylines.git/

The project has only just started, and we could use more volunteers to
help.

Dan Marotta
August 1st 12, 03:04 PM
Got my flight loaded this morning AND put it and the previous day's flights
on skylines.

"Max Kellermann" > wrote in message
> Dan Marotta > wrote:
>> Been trying to upload the day's flight but can't connect to the OLC
>> website.
>> Anyone else have problems?
>
> Now's the right time to check out the new SkyLines project! It's a
> truly free platform to publish your flights and live tracks, made by
> the XCSoar developers:
>
> http://skylines.xcsoar.org/
>
> Modern web interface. View multiple flights on top of each others.
> Anonymous IGC file download, no stupid 10 files per day limit. No
> need to log in for using the Google Maps view.
>
> Made by volunteers in their free time, not run by a commercial
> company. No (covered) advertisement. The source code is public (open
> source), just like XCSoar.
>
> Source code:
>
> http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/master/skylines.git/
>
> The project has only just started, and we could use more volunteers to
> help.

Max Kellermann
August 1st 12, 03:37 PM
Dan Marotta > wrote:
> Got my flight loaded this morning AND put it and the previous day's flights
> on skylines.

It is worthwile to upload ALL of your IGC files, no matter how old.
Some people have been uploading their flights from the 90ies. We want
this project to become a huge IGC file database, which will be used
for ideas we havn't even come up with - for example to generate a
thermal map.

Unlike the OLC, SkyLines data is freely available to scientific
projects (and everybody else). The OLC has been blocking scientific
research for too long, and we hope that we can crack this unfortunate
monopoly.

Max

August 1st 12, 03:50 PM
On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:37:53 AM UTC-7, Max Kellermann wrote:
> Dan Marotta > wrote:
>
> > Got my flight loaded this morning AND put it and the previous day's flights
>
> > on skylines.
>

> It is worthwile to upload ALL of your IGC files, no matter how old.
>
> Some people have been uploading their flights from the 90ies. We want
>
> this project to become a huge IGC file database, which will be used
>
> for ideas we havn't even come up with - for example to generate a
>
> thermal map.
>

> Unlike the OLC, SkyLines data is freely available to scientific
>
> projects (and everybody else). The OLC has been blocking scientific
>
> research for too long, and we hope that we can crack this unfortunate
>
> monopoly.
>

> Max

That is sweet Max! Can I use my Cambridge GPS 20?

Max Kellermann
August 1st 12, 04:18 PM
wrote:
> That is sweet Max! Can I use my Cambridge GPS 20?

Of course, you can use any logger you want! SkyLines does not
validate the IGC files. We want to push technology, but we don't want
to stimulate the logger market.

There may be "real" contests hosted by SkyLines in the future (which
we encourage and support), and these may require a valid G-record.
Scientific projects may decide to filter invalid IGC files out.

SkyLines is designed to be free of barriers, and arbitrarily asking
people to buy new expensive loggers is not what I will do. Everybody
is free to decide whether he will trust an unsigned IGC file or not.
That's not up to us to decide.

Max

Ramy
August 1st 12, 04:46 PM
Max, I am going to give it a try. One thing that will be good for all to know since you allow and encourage uploading past files - can we upload multiple files in one batch or must be one at a time?

Ramy

Peter Scholz[_3_]
August 1st 12, 08:46 PM
Am 01.08.2012 17:46, Ramy wrote:
> Max, I am going to give it a try. One thing that will be good for all to know since you allow and encourage uploading past files - can we upload multiple files in one batch or must be one at a time?
>
> Ramy

Ramy,

you can compress your igc giles into a zip file and upload that zip file.

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Dan Marotta
August 2nd 12, 02:39 AM
OK, I'll start uploading, though I've only had a recorder for a little over
a year.

"Max Kellermann" > wrote in message
> Dan Marotta > wrote:
>> Got my flight loaded this morning AND put it and the previous day's
>> flights
>> on skylines.
>
> It is worthwile to upload ALL of your IGC files, no matter how old.
> Some people have been uploading their flights from the 90ies. We want
> this project to become a huge IGC file database, which will be used
> for ideas we havn't even come up with - for example to generate a
> thermal map.
>
> Unlike the OLC, SkyLines data is freely available to scientific
> projects (and everybody else). The OLC has been blocking scientific
> research for too long, and we hope that we can crack this unfortunate
> monopoly.
>
> Max

mike
August 2nd 12, 03:46 AM
On Aug 1, 8:37*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> Dan Marotta > wrote:
> > Got my flight loaded this morning AND put it and the previous day's flights
> > on skylines.
>
> It is worthwile to upload ALL of your IGC files, no matter how old.
> Some people have been uploading their flights from the 90ies. *We want
> this project to become a huge IGC file database, which will be used
> for ideas we havn't even come up with - for example to generate a
> thermal map.
>
> Unlike the OLC, SkyLines data is freely available to scientific
> projects (and everybody else). *The OLC has been blocking scientific
> research for too long, and we hope that we can crack this unfortunate
> monopoly.
>
> Max

Tried to upload a long flight (time wise) and was not able to..."413
Request Entity Too Large"

Ramy
August 2nd 12, 06:55 AM
On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:46:27 PM UTC-7, mike wrote:
> On Aug 1, 8:37*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>
> > Dan Marotta > wrote:
>
> > > Got my flight loaded this morning AND put it and the previous day's flights
>
> > > on skylines.
>

> > It is worthwile to upload ALL of your IGC files, no matter how old.
>
> > Some people have been uploading their flights from the 90ies. *We want
>
> > this project to become a huge IGC file database, which will be used
>
> > for ideas we havn't even come up with - for example to generate a
>
> > thermal map.
>

> > Unlike the OLC, SkyLines data is freely available to scientific
>
> > projects (and everybody else). *The OLC has been blocking scientific
>
> > research for too long, and we hope that we can crack this unfortunate
>
> > monopoly.
>

> > Max
>

> Tried to upload a long flight (time wise) and was not able to..."413
>
> Request Entity Too Large"

Yep, got the same message when I tried to upload a large zip file. So meanwhile I am uploading only recent flights.
So far looks great. Few comments:
1 - Flight time is wrong probably not taking into account flights which cross UTC dates, which is often the case in the US.
2 - No US clubs.
3 - Will be nice and easier to spread the word with a facebook/tweeter share button.

Thanks,

Ramy

Max Kellermann
August 2nd 12, 10:13 AM
Ramy > wrote:
> Yep, got the same message when I tried to upload a large zip file. So meanwhile I am uploading only recent flights.
> So far looks great. Few comments:
> 1 - Flight time is wrong probably not taking into account flights which cross UTC dates, which is often the case in the US.

You can write bug reports in the XCSoar bug tracker.

> 2 - No US clubs.

Clubs are created by pilots, i.e. _you_.

> 3 - Will be nice and easier to spread the word with a facebook/tweeter share button.

Is it? I have no idea of that, I have neither.

Max Kellermann
August 2nd 12, 10:14 AM
mike > wrote:
> Tried to upload a long flight (time wise) and was not able to..."413
> Request Entity Too Large"

I heard a few problem reports from US pilots (and only from US
pilots), I will try to check these problems.

August 2nd 12, 02:16 PM
I guess I'm not getting it because I don't see how to add a new club nor a new aircraft type either.

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:13:30 AM UTC-5, Max Kellermann wrote:
> Ramy > wrote:
>
> > Yep, got the same message when I tried to upload a large zip file. So meanwhile I am uploading only recent flights.
>
> > So far looks great. Few comments:
>
> > 1 - Flight time is wrong probably not taking into account flights which cross UTC dates, which is often the case in the US.
>

> You can write bug reports in the XCSoar bug tracker.
>

> > 2 - No US clubs.
>

> Clubs are created by pilots, i.e. _you_.
>

> > 3 - Will be nice and easier to spread the word with a facebook/tweeter share button.
>

> Is it? I have no idea of that, I have neither.

Max Kellermann
August 2nd 12, 02:38 PM
wrote:
> I guess I'm not getting it because I don't see how to add a new club nor a new aircraft type either.

Why don't you ask?

To add a new aircraft, write a ticket in the XCSoar bug tracker
(http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket).

To add a new club, click on "Change Club" in your settings, and below
you'll see a form titled "Register Club".

August 2nd 12, 03:04 PM
Got it. Thanks!

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:38:46 AM UTC-5, Max Kellermann wrote:
> res...@sbc wrote:
>
> > I guess I'm not getting it because I don't see how to add a new club nor a new aircraft type either.
>

> Why don't you ask?
>

> To add a new aircraft, write a ticket in the XCSoar bug tracker
>
> (http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket).
>

> To add a new club, click on "Change Club" in your settings, and below
>
> you'll see a form titled "Register Club".

Ramy
August 2nd 12, 06:05 PM
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:13:30 AM UTC-7, Max Kellermann wrote:
> Ramy > wrote:
>
> > Yep, got the same message when I tried to upload a large zip file. So meanwhile I am uploading only recent flights.
>
> > So far looks great. Few comments:
>
> > 1 - Flight time is wrong probably not taking into account flights which cross UTC dates, which is often the case in the US.
>

> You can write bug reports in the XCSoar bug tracker.
>

> > 2 - No US clubs.
>

> Clubs are created by pilots, i.e. _you_.
>

> > 3 - Will be nice and easier to spread the word with a facebook/tweeter share button.
>

> Is it? I have no idea of that, I have neither.

Thanks Max. Couple of more issues I noticed but I assume those are known issues is that the optimization distance calculation does not always matches SeeYou/OLC, especially the FAI triangle optimization does not seem to work right in most of my flights. If these are not known issues I can open tickets.
Overall I think it is a much nicer interface than OLC. I am planning to upload my flights to both from now on.

Ramy

Grider Pirate[_2_]
August 2nd 12, 08:14 PM
On Aug 2, 6:38*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I guess I'm not getting it because I don't see how to add a new club nor a new aircraft type either.
>
> Why don't you ask?
>
> To add a new aircraft, write a ticket in the XCSoar bug tracker
> (http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket).
>
> To add a new club, click on "Change Club" in your settings, and below
> you'll see a form titled "Register Club".

I uploaded a couple files, and when I first looked at them, they were
fine. I just tried looking at my flight for 21/7/2012, and the
display comes up in a country far from Tonopah, Nevada, USA.

Grider Pirate[_2_]
August 2nd 12, 08:16 PM
On Aug 2, 12:14*pm, Grider Pirate > wrote:
> On Aug 2, 6:38*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> > > I guess I'm not getting it because I don't see how to add a new club nor a new aircraft type either.
>
> > Why don't you ask?
>
> > To add a new aircraft, write a ticket in the XCSoar bug tracker
> > (http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket).
>
> > To add a new club, click on "Change Club" in your settings, and below
> > you'll see a form titled "Register Club".
>
> I uploaded a couple files, and when I first looked at them, they were
> fine. *I just tried looking at my flight for 21/7/2012, and the
> display comes up in a country far from Tonopah, Nevada, USA.

I tried to open a ticket, but that requires yet another username/
password, apparently.

Max Kellermann
August 2nd 12, 09:06 PM
Ramy > wrote:
> Thanks Max. Couple of more issues I noticed but I assume those are known issues is that the optimization distance calculation does not always matches SeeYou/OLC, especially the FAI triangle optimization does not seem to work right in most of my flights. If these are not known issues I can open tickets.

Triangle calculation is wrong, known issue, I have spent a week or so
on attempting to fix it, but it will take another week or two (when I
have the time). When the algorithm is fixed, all flights will be
recalculated.

The OLC "classic" distance should be correct, but it does not take
engine use into account yet.

Don't forget, SkyLines is in a very early stage of development. We
encourage everybody to upload as many IGC files as possible, but
expect many bugs and usability problems. Development of this project
started only 2 months ago! But look what we achieved so far, compared
to OLC after more than 10 years.

Max

August 2nd 12, 09:25 PM
I get the request entity too large message, when trying to upload 3 files of in total about 600 kB

Ramy
August 2nd 12, 11:53 PM
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:06:40 PM UTC-7, Max Kellermann wrote:
> Ramy > wrote:
>
> > Thanks Max. Couple of more issues I noticed but I assume those are known issues is that the optimization distance calculation does not always matches SeeYou/OLC, especially the FAI triangle optimization does not seem to work right in most of my flights. If these are not known issues I can open tickets.
>

> Triangle calculation is wrong, known issue, I have spent a week or so
>
> on attempting to fix it, but it will take another week or two (when I
>
> have the time). When the algorithm is fixed, all flights will be
>
> recalculated.
>

> The OLC "classic" distance should be correct, but it does not take
>
> engine use into account yet.
>

> Don't forget, SkyLines is in a very early stage of development. We
>
> encourage everybody to upload as many IGC files as possible, but
>
> expect many bugs and usability problems. Development of this project
>
> started only 2 months ago! But look what we achieved so far, compared
>
> to OLC after more than 10 years.
>

> Max

Very impressive especially giving the short time since inception. I am sure once most bugs are fixed it will be a good alternative to OLC, especially for downloading flights for various projects and for sharing flights with non pilots such as on facebook. The OLC default map is pathetic while the google map is restricted to registered pilots only, making sharing with non pilots close to useless. I can see OLC remains as the online contest platform, at least for the time being, but I would prefer skylines as a sharing platform.
Perhaps at some point it can be enhanced to also serve as personal logbook by extracting all the typical logbook data from the igc file so pilots can simply download and print their flights in a logbook format, finally eliminating the need to manually enter your flights in your logbook.

Thanks to the XCSoar team for their effort,

Ramy

Grider Pirate[_2_]
August 3rd 12, 08:04 PM
On Aug 2, 3:53*pm, Ramy > wrote:
> On Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:06:40 PM UTC-7, Max Kellermann wrote:
> > Ramy > wrote:
>
> > > Thanks Max. Couple of more issues I noticed but I assume those are known issues is that the optimization distance calculation does not always matches SeeYou/OLC, especially the FAI triangle optimization does not seem to work right in most of my flights. If these are not known issues I can open tickets.
>
> > Triangle calculation is wrong, known issue, I have spent a week or so
>
> > on attempting to fix it, but it will take another week or two (when I
>
> > have the time). *When the algorithm is fixed, all flights will be
>
> > recalculated.
>
> > The OLC "classic" distance should be correct, but it does not take
>
> > engine use into account yet.
>
> > Don't forget, SkyLines is in a very early stage of development. *We
>
> > encourage everybody to upload as many IGC files as possible, but
>
> > expect many bugs and usability problems. *Development of this project
>
> > started only 2 months ago! *But look what we achieved so far, compared
>
> > to OLC after more than 10 years.
>
> > Max
>
> Very impressive especially giving the short time since inception. I am sure once most bugs are fixed it will be a good alternative to OLC, especially for downloading flights for various projects and for sharing flights with non pilots such as on facebook. The OLC default map is pathetic while the google map is restricted to registered pilots only, making sharing with non pilots close to useless. I can see OLC remains as the online contest platform, at least for the time being, but I would prefer skylines as a sharing platform.
> Perhaps at some point it can be enhanced to also serve as personal logbook by extracting all the typical logbook data from the igc file so pilots can simply download and print their flights in a logbook format, finally eliminating the need to manually enter your flights in your logbook.
>
> Thanks to the XCSoar team for their effort,
>
> Ramy- Hide quoted text -

Two 'issues'.
1. The duration algorithm seems to have a problem with rolling over
GMT 'midnight'. Applying the GMT offset might fix that.
2. I have a fixed gear Janus C. Is that 'mit EZ' or 'ohne EZ'?

hlt
August 3rd 12, 09:22 PM

> 2. I have a fixed gear Janus C. Is that 'mit EZ' or 'ohne EZ'?

'mit EZ' retractable gear

'ohne EZ' fixed gear

Max Kellermann
August 4th 12, 07:18 AM
Grider Pirate > wrote:
> Two 'issues'.
> 1. The duration algorithm seems to have a problem with rolling over
> GMT 'midnight'. Applying the GMT offset might fix that.

I think Ramy mentioned this already - please write a ticket, that'll
be easy to fix.

http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket

> 2. I have a fixed gear Janus C. Is that 'mit EZ' or 'ohne EZ'?

We imported the German model list, that's why labels are German -
something that is worth a ticket, too, should be English so everybody
understands it.

John Carlyle
August 4th 12, 07:06 PM
Grider Pirate, I tried to write a ticket, too. Registration appeared to fail, but it actually did work, so I was able to report that only the top 20 clubs, pilots and airports appear in the Rankings.

On a different ticket I requested that the Skyline team add the ability to upload Cambridge CAI format files directly. I'm sure that this will help out many pilots, judging from all the complaints directed at OLC because they no longer support CAI file format.

That aside, Skylines is very nice! Sure, it's rough because it's under development, but I already like it a lot better than OLC! At least the menu structure is simple, easy to understand, and in English!

Thank you, Skyline team! Keep up the good work!

-John

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:16:41 PM UTC-4, Grider Pirate wrote:
> > I uploaded a couple files, and when I first looked at them, they were
>
> > fine. *I just tried looking at my flight for 21/7/2012, and the
>
> > display comes up in a country far from Tonopah, Nevada, USA.
>

> I tried to open a ticket, but that requires yet another username/
>
> password, apparently.

Max Kellermann
August 6th 12, 11:21 AM
Grider Pirate > wrote:
> 1. The duration algorithm seems to have a problem with rolling over
> GMT 'midnight'. Applying the GMT offset might fix that.

FYI, I've just fixed this bug. Midnight rollover is now handled
correctly.

Grider Pirate[_2_]
August 6th 12, 07:59 PM
On Aug 6, 3:21*am, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> Grider Pirate > wrote:
> > 1. *The duration algorithm seems to have a problem with rolling over
> > GMT 'midnight'. *Applying the GMT offset might fix that.
>
> FYI, I've just fixed this bug. *Midnight rollover is now handled
> correctly.

Great! If I might make a suggestion.... make it easy for people to
make donations. A tab somewhere on the home page would be good.
I bugged the XCSoar team for quite a while before I found a way help
support.

Max Kellermann
August 6th 12, 09:10 PM
Grider Pirate > wrote:
> Great! If I might make a suggestion.... make it easy for people to
> make donations. A tab somewhere on the home page would be good.
> I bugged the XCSoar team for quite a while before I found a way help
> support.

Thanks, but we don't need/want donations currently. Eventually, we
will have to move to a bigger server, then we'll need some money, but
not yet.

Tom S
August 18th 12, 01:47 AM
On 8/2/12 1:25 PM, wrote:
> I get the request entity too large message, when trying to upload 3 files of in total about 600 kB

First, thanks for what looks like a cool new website.

Second, I can't even upload a single IGC file due to the above error.
Can't imagine there isn't already a ticket... My IGC files are
typically 1Mb or more in size as I log at 1 second interval.

-Tom

Google