PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly iGlide App now available in the US

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 9th 12, 01:08 PM
Hello everybody,

iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.

iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.

iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.

Some information can be found on our Youtube channel, many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflyAvionics

The iGlide manual and additional information is available here: http://www.butterfly.aero

Thanks for your feedback and best regards
Marc

August 9th 12, 06:31 PM
> iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.

> Thanks for your feedback and best regards
>
> Marc

How much memory does iGlide Pro require loaded with US database?

Butterfly website suggests iPod/iGlide can display Flarm warnings? How is this possible with PowerFlarm brick?

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 10th 12, 07:13 AM
> How much memory does iGlide Pro require loaded with US database?
>
> Butterfly website suggests iPod/iGlide can display Flarm warnings? How is this possible with PowerFlarm brick?

several Gigabytes depending on resolution (approx. 10GB in retina resolution). Thats why we have divided the US into 12 sectors so you don't have to download everything.

John Carlyle
August 10th 12, 10:16 PM
Marc, I've read the manual, looked at the videos and the info on the web site, plus the write up at iTunes. iGlide looks very interesting!

However, I do not see anything stating that iGlide can replay IGC files. The simulator apparently allows you to "fly" over the terrain, similar to the way Glide Navigator did.

Can iGlide replay IGC files?

-John

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:08:11 AM UTC-4, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
> The iGlide manual and additional information is available here: http://www.butterfly.aero

jfitch
August 15th 12, 10:39 PM
On Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:08:11 AM UTC-7, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

> iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.
>

> iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.
>

> iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.

This is a very interesting implementation. A couple of comments: I cannot currently buy an upgrade from within the app. The choice is not offered. Second, though the documentation says you need an external GPS, it seems to work fine with the internal one on an iPhone 4S. It does not let you download maps from within the app as described in the documentation, but you can download them on the web and then install via iTunes.

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 16th 12, 12:35 PM
Both seems to be the same issue. iGlide may not have access to the internet, this means it cannot load the upgrades and data. Sure your device is connected?

Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2012 23:39:07 UTC+2 schrieb jfitch:
> On Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:08:11 AM UTC-7, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
>

> > iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.
>

> > iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.
>

> > iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.
>

> This is a very interesting implementation. A couple of comments: I cannot currently buy an upgrade from within the app. The choice is not offered. Second, though the documentation says you need an external GPS, it seems to work fine with the internal one on an iPhone 4S. It does not let you download maps from within the app as described in the documentation, but you can download them on the web and then install via iTunes.

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 16th 12, 12:36 PM
John,

IGC-File replay is not yet implemented. We will integrate a replay-feature later this year.

Marc

Am Freitag, 10. August 2012 23:16:48 UTC+2 schrieb John Carlyle:
> Marc, I've read the manual, looked at the videos and the info on the web site, plus the write up at iTunes. iGlide looks very interesting!
>

> However, I do not see anything stating that iGlide can replay IGC files. The simulator apparently allows you to "fly" over the terrain, similar to the way Glide Navigator did.
>

> Can iGlide replay IGC files?
>

> -John
>

> On Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:08:11 AM UTC-4, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
>
> > The iGlide manual and additional information is available here: http://www.butterfly.aero

Brett
August 16th 12, 10:15 PM
Marc

How about maps for Australia & New Zealand? I have downloaded the App but it is useless without them.

Brett

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 17th 12, 08:54 AM
Brett,

Maps for Australia are available, NZ is just being re-rendered and will be available in the coming days. Please take a look at all available Maps here: http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/support/mapfiles.html

Cheers
Marc

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:15:31 PM UTC+2, Brett wrote:
> Marc
>

> How about maps for Australia & New Zealand? I have downloaded the App
>
> but it is useless without them.
>

> Brett
>

> --
>
> Brett

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 17th 12, 12:19 PM
NZ is now uploaded as well.

On Friday, August 17, 2012 9:54:00 AM UTC+2, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
> Brett,
>

> Maps for Australia are available, NZ is just being re-rendered and will be available in the coming days. Please take a look at all available Maps here: http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/support/mapfiles.html
>

> Cheers
>
> Marc
>

> On Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:15:31 PM UTC+2, Brett wrote:
>
> > Marc
>

> > How about maps for Australia & New Zealand? I have downloaded the App
>

> > but it is useless without them.
>

> > Brett

> > --
>

> > Brett

August 21st 12, 03:29 PM
What do I need to connect iPhone to CAI302, and where can I buy these cables in the US. I see on the Butterfly website two cables one for LX and one for CAI, are these the only cables required in each situation. Do they convert iPhone's USB to serial and supply power back to iPhone?

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 21st 12, 05:00 PM
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29:41 PM UTC+2, wrote:
> What do I need to connect iPhone to CAI302, and where can I buy these cables in the US. I see on the Butterfly website two cables one for LX and one for CAI, are these the only cables required in each situation. Do they convert iPhone's USB to serial and supply power back to iPhone?

Jason,

this is unfortunately not as easy. The cables we supply in Europe only work with our european WiFi solution that wirelessly interfaces third party NMEA-equipment to iOS devices. In the US the module is not allowed due to regulatory reasons.

We are working on a worldwide bluetooth solution which is planned to be sold by early 2013.

Best wishes
Marc

jfitch
August 21st 12, 06:25 PM
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:00:11 AM UTC-7, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29:41 PM UTC+2, wrote:
>
> > What do I need to connect iPhone to CAI302, and where can I buy these cables in the US. I see on the Butterfly website two cables one for LX and one for CAI, are these the only cables required in each situation. Do they convert iPhone's USB to serial and supply power back to iPhone?
>

> Jason,
>

> this is unfortunately not as easy. The cables we supply in Europe only work with our european WiFi solution that wirelessly interfaces third party NMEA-equipment to iOS devices. In the US the module is not allowed due to regulatory reasons.
>

> We are working on a worldwide bluetooth solution which is planned to be sold by early 2013.
>

> Best wishes
>
> Marc

There are NMEA to Bluetooth bridges currently available in the USA, built for the boat market. Could not these be used?

Max Kellermann
August 21st 12, 06:42 PM
jfitch > wrote:
> There are NMEA to Bluetooth bridges currently available in the USA, built for the boat market. Could not these be used?

AFAIK, Bluetooth is locked down on Apple products, and only available
to certain partners (not including Butterfly). Therefore, Butterfly
had to avoid Bluetooth and use WiFi instead. The problem is of
political nature, not technical.

These political problems are the reason why I decided not to port that
other software to the iPhone.

August 21st 12, 09:11 PM
On Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:08:11 AM UTC-4, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

> iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.
>

> iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.
>

> iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.
>

> Some information can be found on our Youtube channel, many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflyAvionics
>

> The iGlide manual and additional information is available here: http://www.butterfly.aero
>

> Thanks for your feedback and best regards
>
> Marc

Marc
Will we have map for Canada?
Thanks
Gilles

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 22nd 12, 06:12 AM
thats true. We are currently undergoing a certification process at apple to unlock bluetooth capability in iGlide. Apple is very cooperative, however this will take until end of the year.

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:42:47 PM UTC+2, Max Kellermann wrote:
> jfitch wrote:
>
> > There are NMEA to Bluetooth bridges currently available in the USA, built for the boat market. Could not these be used?
>

> AFAIK, Bluetooth is locked down on Apple products, and only available
>
> to certain partners (not including Butterfly). Therefore, Butterfly
>
> had to avoid Bluetooth and use WiFi instead. The problem is of
>
> political nature, not technical.
>

> These political problems are the reason why I decided not to port that
>
> other software to the iPhone.

Marc - Butterfly Avionics
August 22nd 12, 06:13 AM
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:11:14 PM UTC+2, wrote:
> On Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:08:11 AM UTC-4, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
>

> > iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.
>

> > iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.
>

> > iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.
>

> > Some information can be found on our Youtube channel, many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflyAvionics
>

> > The iGlide manual and additional information is available here: http://www.butterfly.aero
>

> > Thanks for your feedback and best regards
>

> > Marc
>

> Marc
>
> Will we have map for Canada?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gilles

Gilles,

we are working on maps for canada, they will be released in the following weeks.

Marc

December 11th 12, 05:22 AM
Marc, can I order a Butterfly interface module from the EUR butterfly store - then use that adapter with my copy of iGlide (bought in the US app store) to iGlide run on my IPhone connected to my 302 or volkslogger

Kevin Christner
December 11th 12, 03:08 PM
Will this render full screen on an iPad or just in the small iPhone window.

Thanks

2C

Sean F (F2)
December 11th 12, 04:08 PM
I began using iGlide in the fall on my iPhone 5. It is a very impressive interface. If I can integrate it with my V7 Vario NMEA output, it might be my choice next season. Right now, XC soar ticks all the boxes and works on a platform with far more choices. Also the cost $250 of the full features iGlide is very high.

December 12th 12, 12:56 AM
Thats my question, how do I interface with a third party GPS, such as CAI302 or Volkslogger...
Does anybody in the USA use iGlide through the wifi adapter Butterfly sells in EUR?

How about you Paul, why do you sell butterfly brand but no wifi adapter?

Sean F (F2)
December 12th 12, 01:24 AM
http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/index.php/en/products/iglide-ipilot-iphone-navigation-en/iglide-and-ipilot-installation

Looks as if they might have some cycles started on developing some point integration. Integration, wireless, via Flarm would be fine. But I would like to see bluetooth integration methods from other modern, popular vario's such as the Butterfly vario, or LX V7. This should be possible...

Paul Remde
December 12th 12, 01:59 AM
Hi Jason,

I do sell the Butterfly iGlide Interface Stick adapter here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm#Butterfly-iGlide-Stick
I have them in stock. They work only with the Butterfly Vario.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

Thats my question, how do I interface with a third party GPS, such as CAI302
or Volkslogger...
Does anybody in the USA use iGlide through the wifi adapter Butterfly sells
in EUR?

How about you Paul, why do you sell butterfly brand but no wifi adapter?

December 12th 12, 02:17 AM
On Thursday, 9 August 2012 08:08:11 UTC-4, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

> iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.
>

> iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.
>

> iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.
>

> Some information can be found on our Youtube channel, many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflyAvionics
>

> The iGlide manual and additional information is available here: http://www.butterfly.aero
>

> Thanks for your feedback and best regards
>
> Marc

Hi
I have Iglide lite, 29 euros, for the map and airspace so I dont have to change screen on my computer, to be connected to a LX 7000 via a cable that send data and power to my Ipod. It could be Ipad or Ipad mini. I dont know about Iphone. The cable is in the mail.Butterfly was very responsive to my many question.
It will be a few month before I can fly with it.
Regards
S6

Tobias Bieniek
December 12th 12, 01:49 PM
From what I've heard Apple is not allowing the kind of Bluetooth connection (SPP) that is needed for virtual serial ports and that is the reason why Butterfly had to develop the wifi adapter.

June 2nd 14, 08:10 AM
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:49:16 PM UTC+1, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
> From what I've heard Apple is not allowing the kind of Bluetooth connection (SPP) that is needed for virtual serial ports and that is the reason why Butterfly had to develop the wifi adapter.

Can somebody from Butterfly verify or refute this? It would be nice not to have to spend twice as much for wifi when Bluetooth will suffice.

For that matter, why not a cabled solution? I expect many people will be using the Lightning connector for power already -- might as well send some data down that pipe, too.

Google