PDA

View Full Version : Final Glide - Otto Zauner

August 10th 12, 01:49 PM
Otto Zauner passed away on August 3. Otto was a founding member of South Jersey Soaring Society and remained active in the club into his late 80s. He was B-26 instructor pilot during WW II and brought his love of flight to soaring. Otto was an active completion pilot and flew his 1-26 to many victories. He built many aircraft, both power and glider, including One Yankee, a combination of RS-15 wings and a self-designed and built fuselage and tail section. Otto and 1Y were included in a Soaring Magazine article many years ago that featured some of the most notable names in our sport. He was among the early ridge runners in Pennsylvania and passed his love of soaring on to anyone lucky enough to know him. Otto was truly one of the last of a dying breed. He was a master craftsman, top pilot and mentor. A more talented, generous and humble man you will not meet.

Papa3[_2_]
August 10th 12, 02:22 PM
On Friday, August 10, 2012 8:49:01 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Otto Zauner passed away on August 3.

A very kind, warm person. I met him a number of times at various events in NJ and PA in my early days in the sport, and he was always an engaging and thoughtful part of the discussion. I only found out later about his significant accomplishments in gliding. He will surely be missed.

P3

August 10th 12, 04:23 PM
On Friday, August 10, 2012 8:49:01 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Otto Zauner passed away on August 3. Otto was a founding member of South Jersey Soaring Society and remained active in the club into his late 80s. He was B-26 instructor pilot during WW II and brought his love of flight to soaring. Otto was an active completion pilot and flew his 1-26 to many victories. He built many aircraft, both power and glider, including One Yankee, a combination of RS-15 wings and a self-designed and built fuselage and tail section. Otto and 1Y were included in a Soaring Magazine article many years ago that featured some of the most notable names in our sport. He was among the early ridge runners in Pennsylvania and passed his love of soaring on to anyone lucky enough to know him. Otto was truly one of the last of a dying breed. He was a master craftsman, top pilot and mentor. A more talented, generous and humble man you will not meet.

Otto was the heart of SJSS and contributed greatly to soaring in our part of the country.
I'll remember him as a quiet man who gave good advice and had lots of stories from when soaring was nuch harder than today.
We will miss 1Y
UH

Google