PDA

View Full Version : Ventus 3?

Peter F[_2_]
August 15th 12, 01:18 PM
As it's raining here in the UK, I've been following the results from
Uvalde.

There's a fair mix of types in 15m & Open Class, but the Ventus 2 is absent
from the top half of the results in 18m.

The Ventus is the oldest of Schempp's current fleet, so any rumours of a
Ventus 3 on the horizon?

PF

Sean F (F2)
August 15th 12, 02:22 PM
It is clear that the Ventus 2 is no longer a competitive 18 meter glider. Otherwise, one or two of their pilots would be in the top 10.

In Reno (SSA Convention) this year we were egging on Tilo and Maughmer with deposit checks for the V3 trying to get them to comment on this rumor. They had big &^%% eating grins on their faces... Unfortunately, no checks were accepted.

Personally, I think a V3 is likely to be well into its design process and on its way. I'm sure it pains them to see that they are no longer competitive in 18m at a World Championship level. The timing for a new 18m design would be ideal. Otherwise, it appears, that the ASG-29 factory will remain very busy. JS-1 is a great glider as well no doubt, but results are results. I do really like the idea of 18m/Open glider such as the JS-1c. 18m glider paired with a record breaker. 15/18 is a bit boring to me.

It will be very exciting to see what happens...

Sean
F2

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:18:18 AM UTC-4, Peter F wrote:
> As it's raining here in the UK, I've been following the results from
>
> Uvalde.
>

> There's a fair mix of types in 15m & Open Class, but the Ventus 2 is absent
>
> from the top half of the results in 18m.
>

> The Ventus is the oldest of Schempp's current fleet, so any rumours of a
>
> Ventus 3 on the horizon?
>

> PF

Sean F (F2)
August 15th 12, 02:58 PM
So far the ASG-29 has won 8 of 9 competition days in 18m. Ironically, day one was won by a V2. No JS1 daily wins in 18m yet, although the JS1c has won a day in Open class. ASG29 holds 8 of the top 10 and top 3 at the moment in 18m. Pretty dominant.

In Open it appears the Quintus and Antares 23 are stealing the production show with the EB29 slowly moving up after an early bad day. The JS-1's are doing very well in Open in general as well.

It will be very exciting to see what happens in the final few days. I'm on a plane to watch the show in an hour. Should be there for the finishes today!

Sean

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:22:11 AM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
> It is clear that the Ventus 2 is no longer a competitive 18 meter glider. Otherwise, one or two of their pilots would be in the top 10.
>

> In Reno (SSA Convention) this year we were egging on Tilo and Maughmer with deposit checks for the V3 trying to get them to comment on this rumor. They had big &^%% eating grins on their faces... Unfortunately, no checks were accepted.
>

> Personally, I think a V3 is likely to be well into its design process and on its way. I'm sure it pains them to see that they are no longer competitive in 18m at a World Championship level. The timing for a new 18m design would be ideal. Otherwise, it appears, that the ASG-29 factory will remain very busy. JS-1 is a great glider as well no doubt, but results are results. I do really like the idea of 18m/Open glider such as the JS-1c. 18m glider paired with a record breaker. 15/18 is a bit boring to me.
>

> It will be very exciting to see what happens...
>

> Sean
>
> F2
>

> On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:18:18 AM UTC-4, Peter F wrote:
>
> > As it's raining here in the UK, I've been following the results from
>

> > Uvalde.
>

> > There's a fair mix of types in 15m & Open Class, but the Ventus 2 is absent
>

> > from the top half of the results in 18m.
>

> > The Ventus is the oldest of Schempp's current fleet, so any rumours of a
>

> > Ventus 3 on the horizon?
>

> > PF

Tom Claffey
August 15th 12, 05:14 PM
Day 1 the fastest speed was an ASG29. Logger failure and slow back-up
resulted in 50pt penalty. :(

That said, there is little difference in the gliders.
Tom

At 13:58 15 August 2012, Sean F F2 wrote:
> [...]

>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> > There's a fair mix of types in 15m & Open Class, but the Ventus 2 is
>ab=
>sent
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> > from the top half of the results in 18m.
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> >=20
>>=20
>> > The Ventus is the oldest of Schempp's current fleet, so any rumours

Ventus_a
August 16th 12, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Tom Claffey;821400]Day 1 the fastest speed was an ASG29. Logger failure and slow back-up
resulted in 50pt penalty. :(

That said, there is little difference in the gliders.
Tom

Tough break Tom. Would have been nice to have the day win to go with your fastest speed on the day

Colin

Tim Taylor
August 16th 12, 06:03 PM
Also you need to remember that each glider has strengths and weaknesses. One contest in a certain type of flying does not mean one glider I'd better in all locations.

Historically the ASG has been better in very strong conditions while the V2c is better in weaker conditions. If we all flew at Uvalde everyday then building gliders for that environment only makes sense. That said I can see changes coming in the V2 just from the trickle down of the Quentus.

Ventus_a
August 16th 12, 09:04 PM
Also you need to remember that each glider has strengths and weaknesses. One contest in a certain type of flying does not mean one glider I'd better in all locations.

Historically the ASG has been better in very strong conditions while the V2c is better in weaker conditions. If we all flew at Uvalde everyday then building gliders for that environment only makes sense. That said I can see changes coming in the V2 just from the trickle down of the Quentus.

One only has to look at the 3 view of the Quintus and it's not hard to imagine the wings shortened at the root end and different tips to suit an 18m ship. The airbrakes are well outboard and possibly wouldn't have to be moved

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/fileadmin/Pdfs/3-SA_Pdf/3SAoR/3SA-Quintus_M_OM_02_2012.pdf

Of course it's not that simple but wouldn't be surprised if that was part of Schempp-Hirth's thinking when developing the Quintus. The original Antares in 18m and 20m comes to mind as an example of inner panel manipulation at the wingroot

http://www.lange-aviation.com/htm/english/products/antares_18st/aerodynamics.html

Colin

JS
August 17th 12, 06:08 AM
It's likely there will be a new name for the glider to replace the Ventus 2x.
Note that the Quintus is not called Nimbus 5.
Jim

August 17th 12, 07:27 AM
Removing 5 meter from the Quintus/Antares23 wing I think the wingarea left would be more than 11.5 m2. Maybe too much?

August 17th 12, 10:18 AM
Den fredagen den 17:e augusti 2012 kl. 08:27:23 UTC+2 skrev :
> Removing 5 meter from the Quintus/Antares23 wing I think the wingarea left would be more than 11.5 m2. Maybe too much?

Sorry. 10.5-11 m2. Sounds better...

Dave Nadler
August 17th 12, 11:53 AM
On Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:04:54 PM UTC-4, Ventus_a wrote:
> Of course it's not that simple but wouldn't be surprised if that was
> part of Schempp-Hirth's thinking when developing the Quintus. The
> original Antares in 18m and 20m comes to mind as an example of inner
> panel manipulation at the wingroot

The Quintus wing is an Antares 23 wing. It is built at
Lange in the Antares modular mold, which has different
inboard sections for the 18m, 20m, and 23m wings.
So, there is ALREADY an 18m wing in production for
the "18m version of Quintus" - Its the Antares 18S/18T.

Now we just need to get some top pilots flying them...

Hope that clears up the confusion,
Best Regards, Dave

BruceGreeff
August 17th 12, 01:22 PM
Not that it makes any difference to the discussion but -
The 2c is already a "v3" in all but name.

Compared to the original 1994 V2 - the current model has:
The profile and planform of the vertical and horisontal stabiliser have
changed, the wing outer panel has been revised. It now comes with
Behringer wheels and a larger cockpit.

So it is a little like your great grandfather's axe that was handed down
to you. Completely original, third handle and second head.

The low speed handling is better, the spin characteristics improved, the
polar flattened, wingloading has increased, etc. - But it is still
called a Ventus 2.

Schempp - appear to have been progressively improving the Ventus rather
than going for model one-upmanship.

That said - the Arcus, Quintus change indicates that the Ventus is due
for a substantial change some time soon.

For lots of reasons it is not a good idea to simply change the root of a
wing though, so I doubt it will be that simple. The big change with the
Lange wing is how it is made, rather than the airfoil.

Bruce

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771

J. Nieuwenhuize
June 21st 14, 06:43 PM
So with Leszno coming up in a month and a surprisingly large number of 2CXA's up for sale, any news about the Ventus 2x successor?

Anybody who knows whether the 18 meter Diana II is anywhere near first flight and/or will fly in Leszno?

April 15th 15, 12:45 PM
Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2014 19:43:24 UTC+2 schrieb J. Nieuwenhuize:
> So with Leszno coming up in a month and a surprisingly large number of 2CXA's up for sale, any news about the Ventus 2x successor?
>
> Anybody who knows whether the 18 meter Diana II is anywhere near first flight and/or will fly in Leszno?

The Ventus 3 is presneted today in Friedrichshafen on the "AERO".
Check out first picture on Facebook site of SH.

https://www.facebook.com/schempphirth/photos/a.560012254066929.1073741829.106260756108750/791888700879282/?type=1&theater

Paul T[_4_]
April 15th 15, 01:21 PM
At 11:45 15 April 2015, wrote:
>Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2014 19:43:24 UTC+2 schrieb J.
Nieuwenhuize:
>> So with Leszno coming up in a month and a surprisingly large
number of
>2CXA's up for sale, any news about the Ventus 2x successor?
>>
>> Anybody who knows whether the 18 meter Diana II is anywhere
near first
>flight and/or will fly in Leszno?
>
>The Ventus 3 is presneted today in Friedrichshafen on the "AERO".
>Check out first picture on Facebook site of SH.
>
>https://www.facebook.com/schempphirth/photos/a.5600122540669
29.1073741829.106260756108750/791888700879282/?
type=1&theater

More pics.

https://www.facebook.com/ukjuniorgliding/photos/a.49268546748201
3.1073741826.189254341158462/832321660185057/?
type=1&theater

using the 'a' fuselage is already telling me something.

ND
April 15th 15, 04:30 PM
On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 8:30:05 AM UTC-4, Paul T wrote:
> At 11:45 15 April 2015, wrote:
> >Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2014 19:43:24 UTC+2 schrieb J.
> Nieuwenhuize:
> >> So with Leszno coming up in a month and a surprisingly large
> number of
> >2CXA's up for sale, any news about the Ventus 2x successor?
> >>
> >> Anybody who knows whether the 18 meter Diana II is anywhere
> near first
> >flight and/or will fly in Leszno?
> >
> >The Ventus 3 is presneted today in Friedrichshafen on the "AERO".
> >Check out first picture on Facebook site of SH.
> >
> >https://www.facebook.com/schempphirth/photos/a.5600122540669
> 29.1073741829.106260756108750/791888700879282/?
> type=1&theater
> >
> More pics.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/ukjuniorgliding/photos/a.49268546748201
> 3.1073741826.189254341158462/832321660185057/?
> type=1&theater
>
> using the 'a' fuselage is already telling me something.

i'm sure it's available with a larger fuselage. but it does look scary fast with that skinny fuselage and the wingtips.

Paul T[_4_]
April 15th 15, 05:33 PM
So has 'a' fuselage - think that says a lot! Might be wrong but if it was
anything radical in the wing department they'd have used the b (c)
fuselage. If it can't outgun the 29 and JS1 with the larger fuselage it
ain't worth the money. At least with a 29 and JS1 you don't have to be
a lightweight midget to fly them. :-) Where's the ASG 33?

April 15th 15, 06:25 PM
On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 5:45:05 PM UTC+1, Paul T wrote:
> So has 'a' fuselage - think that says a lot! Might be wrong but if it was
> anything radical in the wing department they'd have used the b (c)
> fuselage. If it can't outgun the 29 and JS1 with the larger fuselage it
> ain't worth the money. At least with a 29 and JS1 you don't have to be
> a lightweight midget to fly them. :-) Where's the ASG 33?

I don't think you can read anything into the show V3 having the 'a' fuselage. You can bet that it will be available with both sizes - apart from anything else the larger fuselage will be needed for the turbo and self-launcher.

waremark
April 15th 15, 11:43 PM
I have heard that the new a fuselage is wider than before, perhaps more like the old b.

Mike the Strike
April 15th 15, 11:52 PM
On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 3:43:24 PM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
> I have heard that the new a fuselage is wider than before, perhaps more like the old b.

....and maybe they are adding an even wider b+ for the American market?

Mike

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 16th 15, 03:30 AM
Or perhaps there is an entirely new fusaluge that is just not ready? I do not know, but it seems if it is hanging from the ceiling it is not ready for people to sit in it. Just saying since there is no information all we can do is to speculate. i think it is worth waiting and see what the complete offering looks like once it completes flight tests and SH starts taking deposits. The ASG-29 and JS-1 are known and proven, now SH must do the same.

Andrzej Kobus
April 16th 15, 11:38 AM
On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 10:30:12 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Or perhaps there is an entirely new fusaluge that is just not ready? I do not know, but it seems if it is hanging from the ceiling it is not ready for people to sit in it. Just saying since there is no information all we can do is to speculate. i think it is worth waiting and see what the complete offering looks like once it completes flight tests and SH starts taking deposits. The ASG-29 and JS-1 are known and proven, now SH must do the same.

They already have many deposits for the V3.

ND
April 16th 15, 01:16 PM
On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 10:30:12 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Or perhaps there is an entirely new fusaluge that is just not ready? I do not know, but it seems if it is hanging from the ceiling it is not ready for people to sit in it. Just saying since there is no information all we can do is to speculate. i think it is worth waiting and see what the complete offering looks like once it completes flight tests and SH starts taking deposits. The ASG-29 and JS-1 are known and proven, now SH must do the same.

i think they hung it from the ceiling for the effect. think about it, it looks pretty dramatic up there, and can be seen from far away in the exhibit hall. its all marketing 101.

April 16th 15, 03:18 PM
Anyone able to give a first person report on what amazing advances in sailplane technology mean I need to put a second mortgage on my house?

JS
April 16th 15, 05:24 PM
The first photo with an open canopy will let us know if there's a new fuselage.
Side hinge: old.
Forward hinge: new.
Jim

Brian Bair
December 4th 15, 11:02 PM
Test

Brian Bair
December 4th 15, 11:03 PM
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 9:24:07 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
> The first photo with an open canopy will let us know if there's a new fuselage.
> Side hinge: old.
> Forward hinge: new.
> Jim

test