PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Dust Devil Dash

Ian Cant[_4_]
August 24th 12, 07:40 PM
A reminder to all you serious X-C pilots in the Southwest: the 2012 Dust
Devil Dash will take place on the Saturday after Labor Day. September 8,
10:00 a.m. pilots meeting in Ravens Nest restaurant, Mountain Valley
airport, Tehachapi CA - mark your calendars now.

This is the premier straight-out handicapped cross-country event of every
year. Fly against the best in the west, but open to all. ASH-26,
Duckhawk, Sparrowhawk, Cirrus, TG-2, 1-26 - just bring what you fly and see
where you can get to. Past winners have ranged from vintage gliders to
open class superships; piloting skills are more valuable than L/D. No
pilot has yet made it to the Missippi or Canada, you might be the first.

There will be an informal BBQ at the field on the Friday evening, everyone
welcomed. Registration, only $5, in the restaurant starts at 8 a.m.
Launch immediately after pilots meeting, first in line goes first, pay your
own tow. If you would like help with retrieve, call Ian at 661-821-6609,
we have a few volunteers.

Ian

Tony[_5_]
August 24th 12, 07:48 PM
On Friday, August 24, 2012 1:40:38 PM UTC-5, Ian Cant wrote:
> A reminder to all you serious X-C pilots in the Southwest: the 2012 Dust Devil Dash will take place on the Saturday after Labor Day. September 8, 10:00 a.m. pilots meeting in Ravens Nest restaurant, Mountain Valley airport, Tehachapi CA - mark your calendars now. This is the premier straight-out handicapped cross-country event of every year. Fly against the best in the west, but open to all. ASH-26, Duckhawk, Sparrowhawk, Cirrus, TG-2, 1-26 - just bring what you fly and see where you can get to. Past winners have ranged from vintage gliders to open class superships; piloting skills are more valuable than L/D. No pilot has yet made it to the Missippi or Canada, you might be the first. There will be an informal BBQ at the field on the Friday evening, everyone welcomed. Registration, only $5, in the restaurant starts at 8 a.m. Launch immediately after pilots meeting, first in line goes first, pay your own tow. If you would like help with retrieve, call Ian at 661-821-6609, we have a few volunteers. Ian

Wish I could make it. We had great weather for the 50th Kansas Kowbell Klassic (mother event to the Dust Devil Dash) this year, hopefully you will have the same.

Steve Leonard[_2_]
August 24th 12, 11:00 PM
Check out the flights on OLC logged from Sunflower on July 7. That was Kowbell. What an awesome day it was!

Steve

Ian Cant[_4_]
August 25th 12, 04:16 PM
Truly awesome, both the day and the flights. Consider yourselves all
invited to come here and enjoy some mountain and desert flying. When is
Kowbell 2013?

Ian

At 22:00 24 August 2012, Steve Leonard wrote:
>Check out the flights on OLC logged from Sunflower on July 7. That was
>Kowbell. What an awesome day it was!
>
>Steve

Steve Leonard[_2_]
August 26th 12, 12:43 AM
On Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:16:16 AM UTC-5, Ian Cant wrote:
> Truly awesome, both the day and the flights. Consider yourselves all invited > to come here and enjoy some mountain and desert flying. When is Kowbell 2013?
> Ian

Looks like it will be June 29th. (First Saturday after the first Full Moon that is on or after the Summer Solstice).

I would love to go try the Dust Devil sometime. Or, the Downhill Dash if they keep it going. Maybe next year.

Steve

Tony[_5_]
August 27th 12, 04:48 PM
On Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:43:35 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
> On Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:16:16 AM UTC-5, Ian Cant wrote: > Truly awesome, both the day and the flights. Consider yourselves all invited > to come here and enjoy some mountain and desert flying. When is Kowbell 2013? > Ian Looks like it will be June 29th. (First Saturday after the first Full Moon that is on or after the Summer Solstice). I would love to go try the Dust Devil sometime. Or, the Downhill Dash if they keep it going. Maybe next year. Steve

Downhill Dash?

RWW[_2_]
August 31st 12, 12:08 PM
Tony > wrote:
> On Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:43:35 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:16:16 AM UTC-5, Ian Cant wrote: > Truly
>> awesome, both the day and the flights. Consider yourselves all invited >
>> to come here and enjoy some mountain and desert flying. When is Kowbell
>> 2013? > Ian Looks like it will be June 29th. (First Saturday after the
>> first Full Moon that is on or after the Summer Solstice). I would love
>> to go try the Dust Devil sometime. Or, the Downhill Dash if they keep it
>> going. Maybe next year. Steve
>
> Downhill Dash?

Black Forest used to have a Downhill Dash in the fall, but not for the last
couple of years. Not sure why. They were fun events.
--
RWW

Tony[_5_]
September 10th 12, 02:57 AM
I saw an email with some prelim reports of who made it where, is there a complete list yet???

Steve Leonard[_2_]
September 10th 12, 02:18 PM
On Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:57:17 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
> I saw an email with some prelim reports of who made it where, is there a complete list yet???

I think most have posted to OLC. Kevin Wayt looks to be the winner. A bit over 600 miles great circle from release to furthest out point. And, most points for the US for the day on OLC.

Well done, Kevin!

Ian Cant[_4_]
September 10th 12, 03:28 PM
There will be a complete list when every pilot is accounted for. As of 7
a.m. today, 3 still to come. 500 mile retrieves take time, people get
tired.

Ian

At 01:57 10 September 2012, Tony wrote:
>I saw an email with some prelim reports of who made it where, is there a
>complete list yet???

Google