PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Miles

Bill[_22_]
August 25th 12, 02:52 AM
When I prepared my résumé for the FAA "Master Pilot" award, I added up my cross country miles in sailplanes. I have logged 65,107 cross country miles in the fifty years that I have been soaring. I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing. I know that some pilots in California routinely make long flights. Comments anyone?

MKoerner
August 26th 12, 06:06 AM
65,000 miles is a damn long way. Congratulations!
Mike Koerner

August 26th 12, 01:54 PM
On Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:06:33 PM UTC-6, mkoerner wrote:
> 65,000 miles is a damn long way. Congratulations!
Yea but was it nautical or just statute ;)

August 26th 12, 02:59 PM
On Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:54:15 AM UTC-4, K wrote:
> On Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:06:33 PM UTC-6, mkoerner wrote:
>
> > 65,000 miles is a damn long way. Congratulations!
>
> Yea but was it nautical or just statute ;)

Statute (Darn!)

Rick Sheppe
August 26th 12, 03:18 PM
Congratulations, Bill. That's a lot of miles!

Have you ever totalled up the miles you have towed a trailer in the
same 50 years?

-Rick

August 27th 12, 02:28 AM
On Friday, August 24, 2012 9:52:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
> When I prepared my résumé for the FAA "Master Pilot" award, I added up my cross country miles in sailplanes. I have logged 65,107 cross country miles in the fifty years that I have been soaring. I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing. I know that some pilots in California routinely make long flights. Comments anyone?

Rick -

Never did. I don't have a log book for that. But, judging by the number of tires I bought, it's a lot of miles.

Best -

Bill

August 27th 12, 08:21 PM
On Friday, August 24, 2012 9:52:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
> When I prepared my résumé for the FAA "Master Pilot" award, I added up my cross country miles in sailplanes. I have logged 65,107 cross country miles in the fifty years that I have been soaring. I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing. I know that some pilots in California routinely make long flights. Comments anyone?

About 110,000 in 40 years.
UH

Grider Pirate[_2_]
August 27th 12, 08:42 PM
On Aug 24, 6:52*pm, Bill > wrote:
> When I prepared my résumé for the FAA "Master Pilot" award, I added up my cross country miles in sailplanes. I have logged 65,107 cross country miles in the fifty years that I have been soaring. I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing. I know that some pilots in California routinely make long flights. Comments anyone?

23,000 in six years. Most flown from Jean, NV

August 27th 12, 10:26 PM
On Friday, August 24, 2012 8:52:37 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
> When I prepared my résumé for the FAA "Master Pilot" award, I added up my cross country miles in sailplanes. I have logged 65,107 cross country miles in the fifty years that I have been soaring. I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing. I know that some pilots in California routinely make long flights. Comments anyone?

356,000 miles in 20 years

Tony - TS1
August 27th 12, 10:29 PM
On Monday, August 27, 2012 2:42:15 PM UTC-5, Grider Pirate wrote:
> On Aug 24, 6:52*pm, Bill > wrote:
>
> > When I prepared my résumé for the FAA "Master Pilot" award, I added up my cross country miles in sailplanes. I have logged 65,107 cross country miles in the fifty years that I have been soaring. I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing. I know that some pilots in California routinely make long flights. Comments anyone?
>

> 23,000 in six years. Most flown from Jean, NV

About 356,000 in 20 years

Tony
TS1

joesimmers[_2_]
August 27th 12, 11:13 PM
> About 356,000 in 20 years

Holy smokes Tony!!!!
How many gliders have you worn out??

son_of_flubber
August 28th 12, 01:37 AM
On Monday, August 27, 2012 6:13:03 PM UTC-4, joesimmers wrote:
> > About 356,000 in 20 years

> Holy smokes Tony!!!!
>
> How many gliders have you worn out??

356,000 NM / 60 knots = 5933 hours, say 6000 hours

So it could be done in one glider.

6000 hours / 20 year = 300 hours a year

Dave Nadler
August 28th 12, 01:55 AM
On Friday, August 24, 2012 9:52:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
> I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing...

I've only totaled up my miles for 2002 to-date at 52,000 miles.
For late 80's and 90's I was doing more miles per year,
so probably at least 150,000 total ? I'll have to go add
it up one of these days, but as I didn't start logging
electronically until 2002 it will be a nuisance...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

August 28th 12, 03:39 AM
On Friday, August 24, 2012 8:52:37 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
> When I prepared my résumé for the FAA "Master Pilot" award, I added up my cross country miles in sailplanes. I have logged 65,107 cross country miles in the fifty years that I have been soaring. I wonder how other cross country enthusiasts are doing. I know that some pilots in California routinely make long flights. Comments anyone?

About 356,000 statute miles and 6,200 hrs to date. About 100 hrs in L-13 & 1-26, 300 hrs in a Std Cirrus, 3500 hrs in a Ventus B, 60 or so in a D2, 30 in an ASG-29, 50 in a Duo, and about 2200 hrs in my current LS-8.

Love to fly XC!

TS1

Ramy
August 28th 12, 04:31 AM
About 175000 miles, 3800 hours, nearly 1000 flights in 14 years.

Ramy

Cliff Hilty[_2_]
August 28th 12, 03:29 PM
204,000 in 19 years , most in 2 gliders, and practically all of it chasing

TS1 around the western skies!

CH

September 7th 12, 03:08 AM
I got into the soaring game late, so I'm playing catch-up ;-). About 10,000 miles so far this year, about the same for the last 4-5 years.

TA

Mark Mocho
September 8th 12, 02:36 PM
According to my OLC scores, 61556 sm since 2004

Not precise, due to the devalued legs in the OLC scoring prior to
2010, but close enough.

MSM

Google