PDA

View Full Version : AOPA Real-Time FLIGHT PLANNER QUESTION

Harry Gordon
December 30th 03, 01:13 AM
I want to create a flight plan that goes from airport A to B then to C and
back to A. The headings will change during that flight which means I have to
fly at both even+500 and odd+500 feet altitudes (VFR flight). How do I make
the flight planner reflect those altitudes in the flight log without having
to create a separate flight plan for each of the respective legs of the
flight?

Thanks for your help.

Harry
PP-ASEL

Jim Fisher
December 30th 03, 03:22 AM
"Harry Gordon" > wrote in message
How do I make
> the flight planner reflect those altitudes in the flight log without
having
> to create a separate flight plan for each of the respective legs of the
> flight?

You create a separate flight plan for each respective leg of the flight.
Then you open and close the plans as they come up so that SAR can find your
butt if you bite the Big One between stops.

Either that or simply make airports "B" and "C" waypoints between airport
"A" and airport "A".

--
Jim Fisher

Harry Gordon
December 30th 03, 01:59 PM

> You create a separate flight plan for each respective leg of the flight.
> Then you open and close the plans as they come up so that SAR can find
your
> butt if you bite the Big One between stops.

Jim, I fully understand the need of a flight plan that you file with the FSS
:-). That isn't the issue. Beleive me, I fully appreciate the need for an
accurate FLIGHT PLAN.

What I am trying to do is build a FLIGHT LOG that reflects accurate
altitudes without having to create a seperate flight log for each of the
individual legs. Within the flight planner, the flight path is refered to as
a ROUTE. When you enter your departure and destination airports that
information becomes the ROUTE name. And if you enter 5500 as your flight
altitude that is what is assigned to the ENTIRE ROUTE regardless of what
direction your going or what other altitudes you want to fly at.

> Either that or simply make airports "B" and "C" waypoints between airport
> "A" and airport "A".

I tried doing that but it still didn't work. When I enter the altitude for
the waypoint, the information is being ignored. I suspect either I am doing
something wrong, or there is a problem with the software that runs the
flight planner program.

Thanks.

Harry

David Smith
December 31st 03, 02:28 AM
Harry,
You just enter the first cruising altitude that you plan on using on the
first leg of the flight.

Good Luck,
David Smith

"Harry Gordon" > wrote in message
> I want to create a flight plan that goes from airport A to B then to C and
> back to A. The headings will change during that flight which means I have
> fly at both even+500 and odd+500 feet altitudes (VFR flight). How do I
make
> the flight planner reflect those altitudes in the flight log without
having
> to create a separate flight plan for each of the respective legs of the
> flight?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Harry
> PP-ASEL