PDA

View Full Version : Oh me gawd! It's really gone over the top!

Roger Long
December 30th 03, 01:59 AM
If it were April first, it wouldn't have taken me a millisecond to start
smiling at this but, no, it's for real (or whatever passes for real in TSA
land).

This from CNN:

"The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying
almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering everything
from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist planning."

This from me:

All Americans are advised to wrap their heads in duct tape over a several
layers of plastic sheeting in case terrorists jump out from behind lamp
posts and hit them over the head with large reference books.

Yeah, I know. The FBI is worried about the information in the books. Do
you think they ever heard of the Internet?

--
Roger Long

Mark T. Mueller
December 30th 03, 03:11 AM
Believe it or not, there are some that would have a grand ole' book burning
down on the Mall shouting "Hail Bush" if they were given any more power...

"Roger Long" m> wrote in
message ...
> If it were April first, it wouldn't have taken me a millisecond to start
> smiling at this but, no, it's for real (or whatever passes for real in TSA
> land).
>
> This from CNN:
>
> "The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying
> almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering everything
> from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist
planning."

> This from me:
>
> All Americans are advised to wrap their heads in duct tape over a several
> layers of plastic sheeting in case terrorists jump out from behind lamp
> posts and hit them over the head with large reference books.
>
> Yeah, I know. The FBI is worried about the information in the books. Do
> you think they ever heard of the Internet?
>
> --
> Roger Long

Dave Stadt
December 30th 03, 04:34 AM
"Mark T. Mueller" > wrote in message
> Believe it or not, there are some that would have a grand ole' book
burning
> down on the Mall shouting "Hail Bush" if they were given any more power...

I think I will go buy me an almanac and go sit at O'Hare and read it.

> "Roger Long" m> wrote
in
> message ...
> > If it were April first, it wouldn't have taken me a millisecond to start
> > smiling at this but, no, it's for real (or whatever passes for real in
TSA
> > land).
> >
> > This from CNN:
> >
> > "The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying
> > almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering
everything
> > from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist
> planning."
> >
> > This from me:
> >
> > All Americans are advised to wrap their heads in duct tape over a
several
> > layers of plastic sheeting in case terrorists jump out from behind lamp
> > posts and hit them over the head with large reference books.
> >
> > Yeah, I know. The FBI is worried about the information in the books.
Do
> > you think they ever heard of the Internet?
> >
> > --
> > Roger Long

Judah
December 30th 03, 04:39 AM
They're not worried about the information in the book. They are just trying
to get rid of Almanac Salesmen. Or else they fit the profile for
terrorists. After all, no normal American would ever carry an almanac!

"Roger Long" m> wrote
in :

> If it were April first, it wouldn't have taken me a millisecond to
> start smiling at this but, no, it's for real (or whatever passes for
> real in TSA land).
>
> This from CNN:
>
> "The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying
> almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering
> everything from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for
> terrorist planning."
>
> This from me:
>
> All Americans are advised to wrap their heads in duct tape over a
> several layers of plastic sheeting in case terrorists jump out from
> behind lamp posts and hit them over the head with large reference
> books.
>
> Yeah, I know. The FBI is worried about the information in the books.
> Do you think they ever heard of the Internet?
>
> --
> Roger Long

William W. Plummer
December 30th 03, 12:20 PM
Burning all the books. Isn't that what "Fahrenheit 451" is all about?

"Roger Long" m> wrote in
message ...
> If it were April first, it wouldn't have taken me a millisecond to start
> smiling at this but, no, it's for real (or whatever passes for real in TSA
> land).
>
> This from CNN:
>
> "The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying
> almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering everything
> from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist
planning."

> This from me:
>
> All Americans are advised to wrap their heads in duct tape over a several
> layers of plastic sheeting in case terrorists jump out from behind lamp
> posts and hit them over the head with large reference books.
>
> Yeah, I know. The FBI is worried about the information in the books. Do
> you think they ever heard of the Internet?
>
> --
> Roger Long

Dennis O'Connor
December 30th 03, 04:38 PM
Nor a book of tides, nor an ephemeris...

uuuuh wait a sec, I DO! And a Bowditch and a sextant... gaaawd, I must be
a terrorist...

Denny

"Judah" > wrote in message they fit the profile for
> terrorists. After all, no normal American would ever carry an almanac!

Kevin McCue
December 30th 03, 06:49 PM
They also cautioned against people in possession of maps. So put an
almanac in your flight bag and be a real terrorist.
Perhaps most of the administration should take Roger's advice on the
plastic and duct tape headwrap.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

G.R. Patterson III
December 30th 03, 07:51 PM
Roger Long wrote:

> The FBI is worried about the information in the books.

Well, as we all know, "FBI" stands for Fools, Buffoons, and Imbeciles.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Andrew Gideon
December 30th 03, 07:54 PM
Martin Hotze wrote:

> "Roger Long" m> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I know. The FBI is worried about the information in the books. Do
>> you think they ever heard of the Internet?
>

> *sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!*

<Laugh> I love this circle.

It used to be the Internet that took the heat assigned by people that had
never read an encyclopedia. Now, they're back to blaming books. Perhaps
Ridge and company haven't learned how to use a browser yet. Didn't his
boss have trouble at a Grocery checkout?

- Andrew

H.J.
December 30th 03, 08:36 PM
so what's your point?

Hail Bush

"Mark T. Mueller" > wrote in message
> Believe it or not, there are some that would have a grand ole' book
burning
> down on the Mall shouting "Hail Bush" if they were given any more power...
>

> "Roger Long" m> wrote
in
> message ...
> > If it were April first, it wouldn't have taken me a millisecond to start
> > smiling at this but, no, it's for real (or whatever passes for real in
TSA
> > land).
> >
> > This from CNN:
> >
> > "The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying
> > almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering
everything
> > from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist
> planning."
> >
> > This from me:
> >
> > All Americans are advised to wrap their heads in duct tape over a
several
> > layers of plastic sheeting in case terrorists jump out from behind lamp
> > posts and hit them over the head with large reference books.
> >
> > Yeah, I know. The FBI is worried about the information in the books.
Do
> > you think they ever heard of the Internet?
> >
> > --
> > Roger Long

David CL Francis
December 31st 03, 07:45 PM
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 at 11:49:39 in message
wrote:

> They also cautioned against people in possession of maps. So put an
>almanac in your flight bag and be a real terrorist.
> Perhaps most of the administration should take Roger's advice on the
>plastic and duct tape headwrap.

The next time we visit the USA, perhaps for a month will they confiscate
my Garmin e-map that I use when over there? I have a Garmin CD that
shows every street in mainland USA and the location of many public
buildings, hotels, gas stations and other 'points of interest'. In any
case if I was really keen I could buy the stuff over there. I also buy
maps and guides everywhere we go. How suspicious can I get?

I feel tempted to say 'get a grip' but I won't! After all, in WW2 we
took down all the road direction signs in the UK. We removed town name
boards and kept a total black out. We _were_ expecting a full scale
invasion but I guess the Germans had maps themselves and would have
printed plenty for their soldiers! Foreign accents would produce
immediate arrests.
--
David CL Francis

Google