PDA

View Full Version : Video of Powerflarm brick in action

Ramy
August 30th 12, 07:30 AM
Courtesy of Peter Kelly. The action starts at 2:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU

Ramy

August 30th 12, 10:11 AM
have you demo like this on lift with no 30, but ~10 gliders? flarm is good sometimes very good, but save feeling cause dangerous ...

John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
August 30th 12, 12:50 PM
On Aug 30, 2:30*am, Ramy > wrote:
> Courtesy of Peter Kelly. The action starts at 2:00http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU
>
> Ramy

I curious about his antenna placement. Is PK non-carbon?
QT

Ramy
August 31st 12, 01:56 AM
On Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:43:58 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
> On Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:50:31 AM UTC-7, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
>
> > On Aug 30, 2:30*am, Ramy > wrote:
>

> > > Courtesy of Peter Kelly. The action starts at 2:00http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU
>

> > > Ramy
>

> > I curious about his antenna placement. Is PK non-carbon?
>

> > QT
>

> PK is an ASH 26E with a PowerFlarm Brick installed. The nose of the ASH 26 is glass and aramid fiber. The Flarm A and ADS-b di-pole antennas are attached to the fuselage skin in the nose near the rudder pedals with Velcro.
>
> Clean easy install. Seems to have good reception.
>
> Rex

Will this installation work in a 27? I know that the cockpit area below the seat pan is glass since that's where my transponder antenna is, so wonder if there are other suitable places to put the flarm antenna.

Ramy

son_of_flubber
August 31st 12, 02:39 AM
Once you install Flarm, are you tempted to fly in formation more often than you did before you installed it?

More generally, how does Flarm change your flying habits and margins?

How did Flarm change flying habits in Europe (or any country that has had Flarm for a some years)?

Ramy
August 31st 12, 04:26 AM
If anything it causes me to keep more distance knowing that otherwise both the other pilot and myself will keep receiving alarms.

Ramy

August 31st 12, 08:11 PM
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU
>

> Ramy

Ive used a PF portable on a mounting tray that I purchased from Williams Soaring. I am very impressed so far not just the way this picks up glider traffic but the big stuff as well. I was flying a contest at Air Sailing NV and twice while KRNO was landing south there were airliners turning base over Air Sailing. Both times the PF detected these airliners while they were 8 and 16 miles away.
My home field lies under the Class B at KSLC and I am constantly amazed that the PF picks up all the airline traffic. Some of which before it is acquired visually. At a 300KT closure rate this is important! FWIW I use TCAS at work and I really like the PowerFlarm unit and I hope the technology continues to evolve.
Now when are we going to have Logger approval?

Ramy
September 1st 12, 12:51 AM
On Friday, August 31, 2012 12:11:43 PM UTC-7, K wrote:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU
>

> > Ramy
>

> Ive used a PF portable on a mounting tray that I purchased from Williams Soaring. I am very impressed so far not just the way this picks up glider traffic but the big stuff as well. I was flying a contest at Air Sailing NV and twice while KRNO was landing south there were airliners turning base over Air Sailing. Both times the PF detected these airliners while they were 8 and 16 miles away.
>
> My home field lies under the Class B at KSLC and I am constantly amazed that the PF picks up all the airline traffic. Some of which before it is acquired visually. At a 300KT closure rate this is important! FWIW I use TCAS at work and I really like the PowerFlarm unit and I hope the technology continues to evolve.
>
> Now when are we going to have Logger approval?

Are you referring to mode C/S or ADS-B? If the later, how did you identify those as ADS-B vs other flarms? So far I can't tell the difference, or perhaps I didnt receive an ADS-B alert yet which will be odd since I fly in the Reno area.

Ramy

Google