PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip

S Green
January 9th 04, 10:48 AM
Got myself a 6 month break (sabbatical) coming up in the next year or so.

I want to do plenty of flying so rather than do a coast to coast I figured
on trying to fly and land in each State/county in the contiguous US.

Living in Europe, I would probable buy a plane, fly it for the duration and
sell it when done.

Welcome any thoughts on best plane for the mission, best time of year /
route to capitalise on the weather re most flyable days.

Speed is not a major requirement but with mountains to negotiate performance
could be an issue unless the mountains can be neutralised.

Would also want to rig up a TV camera to record the trip. That would be
covered by someone else as it would be necessary to have camera remote
controls on near control column, yoke.

S Green

EDR
January 9th 04, 02:13 PM
In article >, S Green
> wrote:

> Welcome any thoughts on best plane for the mission, best time of year /
> route to capitalise on the weather re most flyable days.

Aviat Husky, Maule or Super Cub.
Put all your gear in it, go where ever you want.
Taildragger gives you prop clearance on rough strips.

Jay Honeck
January 9th 04, 02:13 PM
> Got myself a 6 month break (sabbatical) coming up in the next year or so.

Sounds like a cool trip, but I think you're going to need to provide us with
more information in order to help you out. (Are you multi-engine rated?
Instrument? What price range? Etc.)

More important, however, is this: How do you manage to get a "6 month"
vacation!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ben Jackson
January 9th 04, 02:36 PM
In article >,
S Green > wrote:

>I want to do plenty of flying so rather than do a coast to coast I figured
>on trying to fly and land in each State/county in the contiguous US.

I grew up in Indiana and I seem to recall it having 92 counties. So I
looked it up and there are 3141 counties in the US. That's almost 800
hours if you could manage to do each hop in 15 minutes...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

R. Hubbell
January 9th 04, 06:10 PM
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:48:54 -0000 "S Green" > wrote:

> Got myself a 6 month break (sabbatical) coming up in the next year or so.
>
> I want to do plenty of flying so rather than do a coast to coast I figured
> on trying to fly and land in each State/county in the contiguous US.

That would be difficult to do in a jet. There are a lot of counties in the US.

I also wonder if every county has a place to land.

The coast-to-coast is probably a more reasonable goal. With 6 months
you can pick a circuitous route for sure. Throw some camping in and
a few museums (accessible by plane of course).

Maybe even throw in a trip to Baja California.

R. Hubbell

> Living in Europe, I would probable buy a plane, fly it for the duration and
> sell it when done.
>
> Welcome any thoughts on best plane for the mission, best time of year /
> route to capitalise on the weather re most flyable days.
>
> Speed is not a major requirement but with mountains to negotiate performance
> could be an issue unless the mountains can be neutralised.
>
> Would also want to rig up a TV camera to record the trip. That would be
> covered by someone else as it would be necessary to have camera remote
> controls on near control column, yoke.
>
> S Green

David Dyer-Bennet
January 9th 04, 07:30 PM
"Jay Honeck" > writes:

> More important, however, is this: How do you manage to get a "6 month"
> vacation!

Well, he said "sabbatical". I'm most familiar with that in the
academic context; a professor often has the option of taking a year at
1/2 or 2/3 pay after 7 years of work (or 6 months somewhat earlier).

And it's not actually supposed to be vacation, it's for further
professional development or research. I spent two years, 8 years
apart, living in Zurich because my father took his first two
sabbaticals there. (Also his third, later, but I stayed in the US in
college that time.)

I've also seen some businesses offering various kind of sabbatical
schemes, no two the same, and none the same as the academic one.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

John Galban
January 9th 04, 08:04 PM
"S Green" > wrote in message >...
> Got myself a 6 month break (sabbatical) coming up in the next year or so.
>
> I want to do plenty of flying so rather than do a coast to coast I figured
> on trying to fly and land in each State/county in the contiguous US.

I considered doing that (landing in every state), but when it got
down to the details I realized that there would be a lot of
not-very-interesting flights involved. I had a 2 month sabbatical in
'99 and flew to Alaska. That trip was well worth the effort. In 2001
I took 2 yrs. off and spent the time flying to airshows, fly-ins,
aviation museums and other aviation related attractions around the
U.S. and Canada. I had a great time, but still didn't see everything.

> Welcome any thoughts on best plane for the mission, best time of year /
> route to capitalise on the weather re most flyable days.

If flying solo or with 1 other person, I'd recommend at least
something with 180 hp (Piper or Cessna) to negotiate the mountainous
regions. I have a 180 hp Cherokee and regularly fly into backcountry
airstrips in the Rocky Mountains during the summer months. A 150 hp
Super Cub would do nicely too.

Summer will generally get you the most flyable (and longer) days for
that kind of trip. You'll have to consider the higher density
altitudes out west, but you won't have to worry about winter storms
and low freezing levels (icing).

Have a great time!

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

David Dyer-Bennet
January 9th 04, 11:52 PM
(John Galban) writes:

> In 2001 I took 2 yrs. off

Wow. Busy year, eh?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, >, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Kyler Laird
January 10th 04, 12:12 AM
Ben Jackson wrote:

> I grew up in Indiana and I seem to recall it having 92 counties.

I grew up and still live in Indiana but I don't recall such things.

> So I
> looked it up and there are 3141 counties in the US.

I count 3226. 3102 in the conUS.
http://www.census.gov/geo/tigerline/app_a02.txt

That's not a good list though. I see some missing counties.
(Washabaugh, SD and Nansemond, VA)

"R. Hubbell" > writes:

>I also wonder if every county has a place to land.

I count 195 counties without airports, 652 without public airports.

--kyler

Peter Duniho
January 10th 04, 12:59 AM
"S Green" > wrote in message
> Welcome any thoughts on best plane for the mission, best time of year /
> route to capitalise on the weather re most flyable days.

There are other good replies, but some additional comments...

If you're going to buy a plane for the purpose, you should make sure your
schedule has lots of buffer built in to deal with maintenance. In theory, a
rental or borrowed airplane would have the same issue too, but airplanes up
for sale are often planes that have not been used or maintained regularly,
and a new owner can expect to spend the first year catching up on a lot of
neglect.

> Speed is not a major requirement but with mountains to negotiate
performance
> could be an issue unless the mountains can be neutralised.

Seems to me, you can have a lot of fun flying around for six months, with
pretty much any airplane going pretty much anywhere. :) I'd look for an
airplane with a turbocharger, just because that makes flying in the
mountainous areas and hot weather that much more enjoyable. But with that
much time to spend, you can afford to do a lot of morning-only and
wait-for-the-weather decisions, and proceed gradually.

> Would also want to rig up a TV camera to record the trip. That would be
> covered by someone else as it would be necessary to have camera remote
> controls on near control column, yoke.

When you say "record the trip", do you mean every flight hour? That's a lot
of tape. :) Nevermind someone will have to edit it down to something
watchable.

Of course, I suppose you could keep a log, keeping only those tapes with
something interesting. Or if you bring a laptop, you could even archive the
interesting bits each day (copying it to recordable CD or DVD). Either way,
you could reuse tapes after you've either pulled off what you want to keep,
or if nothing interesting was on it. That would help reduce the bulk of
carrying around a bunch of videotape, as well as ease the editing chores
when you're all done.

Pete

Martin Hotze
January 10th 04, 02:38 PM
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:48:54 -0000, S Green wrote:

>I want to do plenty of flying so rather than do a coast to coast I figured
>on trying to fly and land in each State/county in the contiguous US.

great plan!

>Living in Europe, I would probable buy a plane, fly it for the duration and
>sell it when done.

If you are not a US citizen you should check into some sort of corporation
or holding as you are not allowed to own a N-reg airplane not being a US
citizen. (disregard when a US citizen)

>Welcome any thoughts on best plane for the mission, best time of year /
>route to capitalise on the weather re most flyable days.

this might depend on the place where you'll buy your plane.

>Would also want to rig up a TV camera to record the trip. That would be
>covered by someone else as it would be necessary to have camera remote
>controls on near control column, yoke.

So you are how many people on the plane?

>S Green

#m

A Brazilian judge has announced that US citizens will be fingerprinted and
photographed on entering the country. Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva was
reacting to US plans to do the same to Brazilians entering the United States.

Martin Hotze
January 10th 04, 09:52 PM
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:11:09 -0500, Saryon wrote:

>>If you are not a US citizen you should check into some sort of corporation
>>or holding as you are not allowed to own a N-reg airplane not being a US
>>citizen. (disregard when a US citizen)
>
>When I bought mine I got a copy of an FAA memo in the package from
>Cessna which said in part that Corporations or LLCs formed/controlled
>by non-US Citizens are also prohibited from owning aircraft, so this
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is the key. and yes, this is true.

But I heard of companies offering these type of service with a legal way to
make it work.

>wouldn't work.
>
>It's probabally better to find places that rent factory-new aircraft
>and pay the rental rates.

I second that.

#m
A Brazilian judge has announced that US citizens will be fingerprinted and
photographed on entering the country. Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva was
reacting to US plans to do the same to Brazilians entering the United States.

Dave
January 11th 04, 12:48 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Got myself a 6 month break (sabbatical) coming up in the next year or
so.

> Sounds like a cool trip, but I think you're going to need to provide us
with
> more information in order to help you out. (Are you multi-engine rated?
> Instrument? What price range? Etc.)
>
> More important, however, is this: How do you manage to get a "6 month"
> vacation!

Well there been a load of useful feedback thanks a lot everybody. I thought
I would answer a few of the questions raised.

Well, in my job I get 5 weeks vacation a year, trouble is I only get round
to taking 4. I have agreed with my employer to bank the other week. For the
last 6 years I have been doing that, so I have 6 weeks banked.

Add my normal holiday and that gives me 11 weeks. The other 13 or so weeks I
will take as unpaid leave as I get a sort of pension.

I have a simple private certificate with taildragger endorsement. I was
looking at spending up to $25,000 on the plane and maybe another $30,000 as
expenses for the trip. It only needs 2 seats but needs to be able to carry a
bit of luggage. Mainly camping gear. Most likely a taildragger for getting
into those rough strips.

Need radio and transponder though for the odd venture into class B airports
just because you can.

I am hoping to be able to sell the plane at the end for pretty much what I
paid but it needs to be straight forward to operate. That is most problems
can be fixed by the pilot. Having said that spare parts should be
available even in the most out of the way places and so if there is
something beyond the pilot for fixing, then any airplane engineer should
find it a breeze.

I have a friend in Arizona who knows nothing about planes but as he is a US
resident, he is legally entitled to own a plane. So to avoid a Delaware
trust company he will be the main owner.

My schedule is - well there is none. None of this "well its Monday so I need
to be in Rapids City etc.,etc."

Working to a schedule organised by the hour day after day for a living is
not how I am going to enjoy my passion.

Each moment and person I meet is to be savoured like a good wine or cigar.

I once was flying from Brackett to Palm Springs and decided to drop into
Banning which was on the way.

Came across a couple of old guys sitting outside the front of what I
suppose is the airport building. Grabbed a cup of coffee and a doughnut and
we started talking as you do.

Turned out that one had been stationed at Rhoose, Cardiff during the war and
the other had been at Burtonwood, Warrington at the same time. ( I worked in
Warrington at the time)

It just so happened that I had an approach plate for Cardiff in my kneeboard
folder. Well we talked for so long, I missed out on completing the trip to
Palm Springs and returned to Brackett.

Not bothered I missed Palm Springs, but really pleased I met two guys who I
had something in common with way out there.

They made my day special, I hope I made their day more interesting too.

I hope that does not sound too prissy but that's what the trip is about. I
have been thinking about it for a few years now and promising myself that I
would do it.

Its time to do some planning. With $ so low against the ?uro I am going to
get 30% more for my money now than two years ago. First part of the plan is
to start buying $$$.

What are the rules about firearms. I think I should have a rifle when out in
the boondocks but are foreigners allowed to have them and what about taking
them across state boundaries.

If I need to be writing letters to get permits that better start now too,
Heaven knows what the bureaucrats will make of this.

Tourist visa too.

G.R. Patterson III
January 11th 04, 04:59 AM
Dave wrote:

> What are the rules about firearms. I think I should have a rifle when out in
> the boondocks but are foreigners allowed to have them and what about taking
> them across state boundaries.

In general, you can only purchase firearms in the State in which you reside. I
was told by a North Carolina dealer a few years ago that this is Federal law. That
basically means that you won't be able to buy one. Federal law is that you can
transport a properly packaged firearm anywhere you like in the States as long as
you can legally own it in both your origination point and your destination. Many
local authorities will arrest you anyway, if you happen to land in their area.
The States of Maryland and New Jersey are known for this, though Jersey mainly
gets alarmed about handguns. Practically speaking, if you had something like a
carbine in a good suitcase, nobody would know it was there.

Properly packaged means that the firearm is in a solidly built box or gun case,
is unloaded, and the box is locked. Ammunition must be stored separately. This
is typically the most restrictive and some States have more lenient storage
requirements when you are in their jurisdiction.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Gerald Sylvester
January 11th 04, 05:58 AM
>>If you are not a US citizen you should check into some sort of corporation
>>or holding as you are not allowed to own a N-reg airplane not being a US
>>citizen. (disregard when a US citizen)
>
> When I bought mine I got a copy of an FAA memo in the package from
> Cessna which said in part that Corporations or LLCs formed/controlled
> by non-US Citizens are also prohibited from owning aircraft, so this
> wouldn't work.

I don't know about owning as I just got my PPL (on 12/17/03 :) ).
In the middle of my license I lived in Germany for 3 years. Basically
(if I had finished my license by then) I read it would take about
10-12 hours to get my German-JAA license. That would entitle me to
be PIC of a European (D-licensed (German)? not sure about other EU
countries) plane but otherwise I would only be able to fly US registered
planes. So *if* you are allowed to own a US registered plane,
you might not even be allowed to fly it!

Now having said that, I could swear I read that there are places
in the EU that you can rent N-registered planes....at US military
bases? maybe there is some planes that live in the US that
are registered to your country. Just a thought.

Gerald

Jürgen Exner
January 11th 04, 07:28 AM
Martin Hotze wrote:
> If you are not a US citizen you should check into some sort of
> corporation or holding as you are not allowed to own a N-reg airplane
> not being a US citizen. (disregard when a US citizen)

Do you have a source/reference to a regulation/law/... about this?
I am sincerely interested because that would block any Permanent Resident
from owning an airplane or flight operation business.

jue

Martin Hotze
January 11th 04, 12:33 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:58:02 GMT, Gerald Sylvester wrote:

>I don't know about owning as I just got my PPL (on 12/17/03 :) ).
>In the middle of my license I lived in Germany for 3 years. Basically
>(if I had finished my license by then) I read it would take about
>10-12 hours to get my German-JAA license.

it now takes about 100 hours. yes, I know, ridicolous.

> That would entitle me to
>be PIC of a European (D-licensed (German)? not sure about other EU
>countries)

D - Germany
OE - Austria
F - France
I - Italy
G - United Kingdom

> plane but otherwise I would only be able to fly US registered
>planes. So *if* you are allowed to own a US registered plane,
>you might not even be allowed to fly it!

it all depends on the certificate.
US certificate and N-reg plane; certificate and aircraft registration has
to meet.

>Now having said that, I could swear I read that there are places
>in the EU that you can rent N-registered planes....at US military

there are some places to rent them.
for Germany see: http://www.airnav.de/N-reg.html

>bases? maybe there is some planes that live in the US that
>are registered to your country. Just a thought.

this would make no sense (because of requirements for maintainance etc.)

>Gerald

#m
--
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990509

Martin Hotze
January 11th 04, 12:43 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:28:26 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

>Martin Hotze wrote:
>> If you are not a US citizen you should check into some sort of
>> corporation or holding as you are not allowed to own a N-reg airplane
>> not being a US citizen. (disregard when a US citizen)
>
>Do you have a source/reference to a regulation/law/... about this?
>I am sincerely interested because that would block any Permanent Resident
>from owning an airplane or flight operation business.

start here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=trust+n-reg+aircraft

>jue

#m

--
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990509

Martin Hotze
January 11th 04, 12:45 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:58:02 GMT, Gerald Sylvester wrote:

>I don't know about owning as I just got my PPL (on 12/17/03 :) ).
>In the middle of my license I lived in Germany for 3 years. Basically
>(if I had finished my license by then) I read it would take about
>10-12 hours to get my German-JAA license.

it now takes about 100 hours. yes, I know, ridicolous.

> That would entitle me to
>be PIC of a European (D-licensed (German)? not sure about other EU
>countries)

D - Germany
OE - Austria
F - France
I - Italy
G - United Kingdom

> plane but otherwise I would only be able to fly US registered
>planes. So *if* you are allowed to own a US registered plane,
>you might not even be allowed to fly it!

it all depends on the certificate.
US certificate and N-reg plane; certificate and aircraft registration has
to meet.

>Now having said that, I could swear I read that there are places
>in the EU that you can rent N-registered planes....at US military

there are some places to rent them.
for Germany see: http://www.airnav.de/N-reg.html

>bases? maybe there is some planes that live in the US that
>are registered to your country. Just a thought.

this would make no sense (because of requirements for maintainance etc.)

>Gerald

#m
--
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990509

Peter Duniho
January 11th 04, 04:08 PM
"Saryon" > wrote in message
> [...] It was my recolection error that expanded this to be "no
> non-us citizen can own" now that I have it in front of me again, but
> if the person asking is not a resident-alien (which appears to be the
> case here) the distinction is trivial.

However, the part you quoted also shows a way for a non-resident alien to
own an N-registered airplane. In particular, it would work fine for the
ownership being asked about in this thread, since the intent is for the
airplane to be operated within the US. Foreign-owned corporations are
allowed, as long as the corporation is still a US corporation, and the
airplane is "based and used primarily in the United States".

Maybe it's a technicality, but I'd say it's not true that "no non-US citizen
can own" an N-registered airplane. There are restrictions, to be sure. But
it's obviously possible for a non-US citizen to control ownership of an
N-registered airplane, at least one that will be primarily operated in the
US (as is the case here).

Pete

Jürgen Exner
January 11th 04, 04:43 PM
Saryon wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:28:26 GMT, "Jürgen Exner"
> > wrote:
>
>> Martin Hotze wrote:
>>> If you are not a US citizen you should check into some sort of
>>> corporation or holding as you are not allowed to own a N-reg
>>> airplane not being a US citizen. (disregard when a US citizen)
>>
>> Do you have a source/reference to a regulation/law/... about this?
>> I am sincerely interested because that would block any Permanent
>> Resident from owning an airplane or flight operation business.
>
> From http://registry.faa.gov/faqac.asp (or go to
> http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/infoforpilotsowners/index.cfm and cick on
> the registration FAQ):
[...]
> 2. A resident alien;
>
> 3. A corporation other than classified as a U.S. citizen, lawfully
> organized and doing business under the laws of the United States or of
> any state thereof, if the aircraft is based and used primarily in the
> United States; or

Ah, I see. Thank you very much.
So what Martin wrote ("must be US citizen") is actually wrong because he
left out items 2 and 3 which specifically allow a large number of non-US
citizen to own US-registered planes, too.

jue

Martin Hotze
January 11th 04, 05:11 PM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:43:31 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

>So what Martin wrote ("must be US citizen") is actually wrong because he
>left out items 2 and 3 which specifically allow a large number of non-US
>citizen to own US-registered planes, too.

Well, it is then owned by a corporation and not by the person. Small
difference. I made the difference and obviously brought up some
misunderstanding. Sorry.

#m

--
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990509

Jürgen Exner
January 11th 04, 05:31 PM
Martin Hotze wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:43:31 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
>
>> So what Martin wrote ("must be US citizen") is actually wrong
>> because he left out items 2 and 3 which specifically allow a large
>> number of non-US citizen to own US-registered planes, too.
>
> Well, it is then owned by a corporation and not by the person.

Or by one of the millions of permanent residents.

> Small difference.

Well, big difference if you are one of them.

> I made the difference and obviously brought up some
> misunderstanding. Sorry.

No problem. But I will sleep much better now after clearing up this
missunderstanding.

jue

Peter Duniho
January 11th 04, 07:42 PM
"Saryon" > wrote in message
> Section 3 of the FAQ does say that foregin corps can own if the
> aircraft is primarily used/based in the US. However, with the memo
> they have on LLC's requiring 75% us citizen ownership, the FAA seems
> to be contradicting themselves on their corporation statement

What makes you feel that the memo applies to anything other than section 1?

I find the regulation perfectly clear. A foreign-owned corporation, even if
100% foreign-owned, is fine as long as the corporation itself is a US
corporation and the airplane is *primarily* operated in the US. The
percentage of foreign ownership matters only if the corporation is to be
considered a "US citizen".

The only ambiguity I see is whether the third section means "lawfully
organized and (doing business under the laws of the United States)" or it
means "(lawfully organized and doing business) under the laws of the United
States". But that would only affect where the corporation needs to be
formed, not who owns it.

My apologies if some d's are missing from this post (and others). My
keyboard has just started to have problems (sigh).

Pete

Joachim Feise
January 12th 04, 12:14 AM
Jürgen Exner said on 1/10/2004 23:28:

> Martin Hotze wrote:
>
>>If you are not a US citizen you should check into some sort of
>>corporation or holding as you are not allowed to own a N-reg airplane
>>not being a US citizen. (disregard when a US citizen)
>

> Do you have a source/reference to a regulation/law/... about this?
> I am sincerely interested because that would block any Permanent Resident
> from owning an airplane or flight operation business.

No, the rules allow US citizens and Permanent Residents to own N-registered
airplanes.
See
<http://faa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=HtR5D81h&p_lva=&p_faqid=130>

-Joe

G.R. Patterson III
January 12th 04, 01:45 AM
Saryon wrote:

> I'm only puzzled as to why, if they did not care to ensure the
> corporation was conrtrolled by US Citizens, they would bother to write
> up a 2 page memo detailing a two pronged test including a requirement
> that they required 75% control of an LLC by US Citizens, and then
> going on to detail the various paperwork acceptable to meet the test.
> If the company can be foregin owned/controlled, why would they care or
> ask whether an LLC formed under the laws of any US State is controlled
> by US Citizens?

The way I interpret the regulation, you can form a U.S. corporation that has 75%
U.S. ownership for the sole purpose of owning the plane. A foreign corporation
must be "doing business" if it wants to own a plane here.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

G.R. Patterson III
January 12th 04, 04:37 AM
Saryon wrote:

> I still think it's just easier to say it's easier for someone who's
> not planning on having a perminant presance (via company offices or
> moving themselves) here to just rent and avoid the hassle altogether

If you're planning to come to the U.S. and use the plane to tour the country
(which is what I believe the original poster intends to do), I know of no other
way to do it than to buy an aircraft.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Julian Scarfe
January 12th 04, 07:21 PM

"Michael Nouak" > wrote in message

> Am I reading this correctly? 100 hours to convert from FAA to JAA? Since
> when?

That's a little misleading. You need to have 100 hours P1 to turn an FAA
PPL into a JAA one. The only incremental requirement is a checkride and a
couple of ground exams. Many states, such as the UK, validate non-JAA PPLs
automatically, so even if you don't do the conversion you can still fly
G-reg aircraft. Note that this doesn't apply to the IR.

Julian Scarfe

Julian Scarfe
January 13th 04, 09:08 PM
"Michael Nouak" > wrote in message

> > That's a little misleading. You need to have 100 hours P1 to turn an
FAA
> > PPL into a JAA one. The only incremental requirement is a checkride and
>
> Again: is this new? I sure didn't need those 100 hours P1 when I did my
> conversion 2+ years ago...

New-ish. It came in with the transition from European national licences to
JAR-FCL. In the UK that happened about 4 years ago.

Julian Scarfe

Julian Scarfe
January 13th 04, 09:14 PM
"Michael Nouak" > wrote in message

> I don't think you can fly OE-reg with a JAA licence, but if you know
> otherwise I'd appreciate it if you could tell me about that; I'm currently
> thinking about converting my JAA CPL/IR to an ACG PPL/IR, but obviously,
if
> don't have to do it I won't.

AFAICS Austria's a member of JAA and should accept licences issued under
JAR-FCL -- presuming we're meaning the same thing by JAA (Joint Aviation
Authorities). Definitely worth checking with ACG.

Julian Scarfe

David Brooks
January 14th 04, 12:17 AM
"Julian Scarfe" > wrote in message

Basically

> > > it now takes about 100 hours. yes, I know, ridicolous.
>
> "Michael Nouak" > wrote in message
> >
> > Am I reading this correctly? 100 hours to convert from FAA to JAA? Since
> > when?
>
> That's a little misleading. You need to have 100 hours P1 to turn an FAA
> PPL into a JAA one. The only incremental requirement is a checkride and a
> couple of ground exams. Many states, such as the UK, validate non-JAA
PPLs
> automatically, so even if you don't do the conversion you can still fly
> G-reg aircraft. Note that this doesn't apply to the IR.

Julian, can you clarify a couple of things?

"You need to have 100 hours P1..." - I assume you mean 100 hours
P1-equivalent, and that would be met by US PIC. Perhaps those who are close
to the 100 hours mark would also need to clarify whether that means actual
PIC or logging PIC.

You say the UK validates non-JAA PPLs automatically, but in a later posting
that the UK has transitioned from national license to JAR-FCL. Now I'm
confused; is the automatic validation still, err, valid?

-- David Brooks

Google