PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Variometers - In Stock

Paul Remde
September 19th 12, 08:26 PM
Hi,

The new butterfly variometers are now in stock. You can see details here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Andrzej Kobus
September 19th 12, 09:47 PM
On Sep 19, 3:26*pm, "Paul Remde" > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new butterfly variometers are now in stock. *You can see details here:http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Is this variometer gold plated?

Richard[_9_]
September 19th 12, 09:57 PM
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:26:54 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
> Hi, The new butterfly variometers are now in stock. You can see details here: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm Best Regards, Paul Remde Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Craggy Aero has had the Butterfly Vario in stock for a month and I personally have over 20 hours of flight testing on the vario. If you want first hand impression of the vario please call.

See the YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0IVkHUnWU

Richard
Craggy Aero LLC
www.craggyaero.com

Paul Remde
September 20th 12, 03:51 AM
Hi Andrzej,

No. It is just "full featured". It has an artificial horizon, IGC approved
logger (pending), speed to fly vario, FLARM display, simple navigation, etc.
it is a very impressive product. They will also offer a nice full-featured
navigation display to go with it in the future. It is not inexpensive, but
it is an interesting product.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Andrzej Kobus" wrote in message

On Sep 19, 3:26 pm, "Paul Remde" > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new butterfly variometers are now in stock. You can see details
> here:http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Is this variometer gold plated?

September 20th 12, 06:13 AM
Can this vario use electronic TE compensation (only pitot and static connections) or does it require a TE compensated pressure source?

September 20th 12, 01:10 PM
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:57:03 PM UTC-6, Richard wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:26:54 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
>
> > Hi, The new butterfly variometers are now in stock. You can see details here: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm Best Regards, Paul Remde Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
>

> Craggy Aero has had the Butterfly Vario in stock for a month and I personally have over 20 hours of flight testing on the vario. If you want first hand impression of the vario please call.
>

> See the YouTube
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0IVkHUnWU
>

> Richard
>
> Craggy Aero LLC
>
> www.craggyaero.com
Richard and Paul,
This looks nice but does anyone have any idea when it might get approval as a logger. I waited almost a year with my PF and never happened (Sold the PF with the old ship). I am setting up a new panel this off season and if I buy this and a new PF I still wont have an approved logger. Do you guys expect the customer service to be better on this than the PF?
Thanks

Paul Remde
September 20th 12, 01:22 PM
Hi,

Good question. The manual does not mention the option to use electronic
compensation only (no TE probe). It mentions that the TE probe must be
connected to the TE connection on the unit.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

Can this vario use electronic TE compensation (only pitot and static
connections) or does it require a TE compensated pressure source?

Paul Remde
September 20th 12, 01:28 PM
"K" wrote in message

Richard and Paul,
This looks nice but does anyone have any idea when it might get approval as
a logger. I waited almost a year with my PF and never happened (Sold the PF
with the old ship). I am setting up a new panel this off season and if I buy
this and a new PF I still wont have an approved logger. Do you guys expect
the customer service to be better on this than the PF?
Thanks

Hi,

I don't have an answer. I will ask Butterfly.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Richard[_9_]
September 20th 12, 03:02 PM
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:10:17 AM UTC-7, K wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:57:03 PM UTC-6, Richard wrote: > On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:26:54 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote: > > > Hi, The new butterfly variometers are now in stock. You can see details here: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm Best Regards, Paul Remde Cumulus Soaring, Inc. > > > > Craggy Aero has had the Butterfly Vario in stock for a month and I personally have over 20 hours of flight testing on the vario. If you want first hand impression of the vario please call. > > > > See the YouTube > > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0IVkHUnWU > > > > Richard > > Craggy Aero LLC > > www.craggyaero.com Richard and Paul, This looks nice but does anyone have any idea when it might get approval as a logger. I waited almost a year with my PF and never happened (Sold the PF with the old ship). I am setting up a new panel this off season and if I buy this and a new PF I still wont have an approved logger. Do you guys expect the customer service to be better on this than the PF? Thanks

Is the Butterfly Vario also an IGC-certified Logger?
Yes. There is an IGC-Logger built into the Integrated Sensor Unit (ISU) of the system. The IGC-Logger is in certification right now (01/2012) and will be certified after the highest possible level.

I will check with Butterfly to get an update.

You may also want to look a the Butterfly Avionics site

http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/index.php/en/

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

kirk.stant
September 20th 12, 03:41 PM
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:10:17 AM UTC-6, K wrote:
> This looks nice but does anyone have any idea when it might get approval as a logger. I waited almost a year with my PF and never happened (Sold the PF with the old ship). I am setting up a new panel this off season and if I buy this and a new PF I still wont have an approved logger. Do you guys expect the customer service to be better on this than the PF?

Depending on what you need your logger for, that SN10 that you have works fine for all US contests and OLC. And didn't you say it came with a Volkslogger, which is still on the list of approved loggers?

Those should work until either the PF or Butterfly get approved.

Yes, the Volkslogger is a pain to use. But the SN10 (with the USB adaptor) is as painless as it gets; unless you are going for badges give the VL to your local club, hook up a cheap GPS to the SN10, and go fly.

Kirk

Wallace Berry[_2_]
September 20th 12, 07:55 PM
In article >, "Paul Remde" >
wrote:

> Hi Andrzej,
>
> No. It is just "full featured". It has an artificial horizon, IGC approved

Doesn't the artificial horizon make it illegal for racing?

Tony[_5_]
September 20th 12, 08:05 PM
there were about 1000 posts dedicated to that topic last spring shortly after the SSA Convention. Before it blows up again you may want to search for those comments.

Wallace Berry[_2_]
September 20th 12, 09:19 PM
In article >,
Tony > wrote:

> there were about 1000 posts dedicated to that topic last spring shortly after
> the SSA Convention. Before it blows up again you may want to search for those
> comments.

Sorry, should have included a smiley :-)

This newsgroup has pretty much turned into rec.aviation.soaring.gadgets

Jim[_32_]
September 20th 12, 10:30 PM
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:19:28 PM UTC-4, WB wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Tony > wrote:
>

> > there were about 1000 posts dedicated to that topic last spring shortly after
>
> > the SSA Convention. Before it blows up again you may want to search for those
>
> > comments.
>

> Sorry, should have included a smiley :-)
>

> This newsgroup has pretty much turned into rec.aviation.soaring.gadgets

True but, I'd rather we were talking about gadgets than accidents.

-Jim

Richard[_9_]
September 21st 12, 02:49 PM
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:10:17 AM UTC-7, K wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:57:03 PM UTC-6, Richard wrote: > On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:26:54 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote: > > > Hi, The new butterfly variometers are now in stock. You can see details here: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm Best Regards, Paul Remde Cumulus Soaring, Inc. > > > > Craggy Aero has had the Butterfly Vario in stock for a month and I personally have over 20 hours of flight testing on the vario. If you want first hand impression of the vario please call. > > > > See the YouTube > > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0IVkHUnWU > > > > Richard > > Craggy Aero LLC > > www.craggyaero.com Richard and Paul, This looks nice but does anyone have any idea when it might get approval as a logger. I waited almost a year with my PF and never happened (Sold the PF with the old ship). I am setting up a new panel this off season and if I buy this and a new PF I still wont have an approved logger. Do you guys expect the customer service to be better on this than the PF? Thanks

Butterfly expects highest level certification by end of this year.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Paul Remde
September 21st 12, 04:46 PM
Can this vario use electronic TE compensation (only pitot and static
connections) or does it require a TE compensated pressure source?

HI,

Below is the response from Marc at Butterfly.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_______________________________

Currently we do not offer electronic compensation.

Why: Our experience + many Akaflieg studies (Research groups at German
Universities) clearly show that TE-Compensation is superior.

We currently do not plan to integrate electronic compensation but may
integrate electronic compensation in the future (that means in spring next
year), depending on demand. In europe we had some customers, who had to
install TE-Probes but never regretted that step.

Best wishes
Marc

September 21st 12, 04:53 PM
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:41:18 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
> On Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:10:17 AM UTC-6, K wrote:
>
> > This looks nice but does anyone have any idea when it might get approval as a logger. I waited almost a year with my PF and never happened (Sold the PF with the old ship). I am setting up a new panel this off season and if I buy this and a new PF I still wont have an approved logger. Do you guys expect the customer service to be better on this than the PF?
>

> Depending on what you need your logger for, that SN10 that you have works fine for all US contests and OLC. And didn't you say it came with a Volkslogger, which is still on the list of approved loggers?
>

> Those should work until either the PF or Butterfly get approved.
>

> Yes, the Volkslogger is a pain to use. But the SN10 (with the USB adaptor) is as painless as it gets; unless you are going for badges give the VL to your local club, hook up a cheap GPS to the SN10, and go fly.
>

> Kirk
Kirk,
Thanks for the insights. Have not decided if the SN10 is gonna stay. From the earlier thread I just wanted to become familiar with it before I make my decision. The Volkslogger has been working well but it will get donated in favor of something more modern. If the PF gets approval the VL will be redundant.
Richard, Thanks for the update.
Kirk

Richard[_9_]
September 21st 12, 05:27 PM
On Friday, September 21, 2012 8:53:18 AM UTC-7, K wrote:
> On Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:41:18 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote: > On Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:10:17 AM UTC-6, K wrote: > > > This looks nice but does anyone have any idea when it might get approval as a logger. I waited almost a year with my PF and never happened (Sold the PF with the old ship). I am setting up a new panel this off season and if I buy this and a new PF I still wont have an approved logger. Do you guys expect the customer service to be better on this than the PF? > > > > Depending on what you need your logger for, that SN10 that you have works fine for all US contests and OLC. And didn't you say it came with a Volkslogger, which is still on the list of approved loggers? > > > > Those should work until either the PF or Butterfly get approved. > > > > Yes, the Volkslogger is a pain to use.. But the SN10 (with the USB adaptor) is as painless as it gets; unless you are going for badges give the VL to your local club, hook up a cheap GPS to the SN10, and go fly. > > > > Kirk Kirk, Thanks for the insights. Have not decided if the SN10 is gonna stay. From the earlier thread I just wanted to become familiar with it before I make my decision. The Volkslogger has been working well but it will get donated in favor of something more modern. If the PF gets approval the VL will be redundant. Richard, Thanks for the update. Kirk

Kirk,

I just tested the current draw on the Butterfly Vario 200 to 300 mAmps. Maybe more YouTube to follow today.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

September 22nd 12, 06:29 AM
I'll be watching to see if they enable electronic compensation. I have a glider with no T.E. probe and the old VP-4E has better compensation electronically than any probe compensated system I've ever used. I'd really rather not drill a hole in the tail and have to run a line up the tailboom and figuring out some way to secure it in an almost completely inaccessible location if I could avoid it. I've been looking at LX and LXNav systems but the Butterfly looks like it would do a nice job of providing the functionality I need (including the Flarm display) without taking up a lot of panel space.

I'll fully understand if they don't enable electronic comp as I'm probably one of the only people interested in it!

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
September 22nd 12, 10:08 PM
On 9/21/2012 10:29 PM, wrote:
> I'll fully understand if they don't enable electronic comp as I'm
> probably one of the only people interested in it!

This motorglider pilot, and probably others, prefer electronic TE, as
the propwash over the probe gives the meter the giggles.

email me)

September 25th 12, 09:47 AM
> This motorglider pilot, and probably others, prefer electronic TE, as
>
> the propwash over the probe gives the meter the giggles.
>

> --
>
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
>
> email me)

How I wish I had that problem! I've tried putting my arm out the side window and flapping really hard but I just can't generate enough thrust to get off the ground.

Google