PDA

View Full Version : Wave Soaring in October

Roger Fowler[_3_]
September 22nd 12, 12:15 PM
Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'm
looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.

TIA,
Roger

WAVEGURU
September 22nd 12, 04:27 PM
We do, and you don't even need to go above 18K to get it!

www.nwskysports.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Northwest-Sky-Sports/129861727032953?ref=ts

http://www.youtube.com/waveguru

Boggs

Tim Taylor
September 22nd 12, 04:56 PM
Most of the western US will produce wave starting in late September. Cal City, Minden and Air Sailing are consistent sites with Wave Windows. Northern Utah from Morgan and Logan are good but do not have wave windows yet to allow Diamond flights. Great mix of ridge and wave makes the flying fun though. As Gary said his location in Oregon is low enough to allow the diamond without a window.

Watch the jet and when it starts to drop south wave season has arrived. We say good lenticular patterns last week in Northern Utah, but our wave season runs from September through June.

Bruce Friesen
September 23rd 12, 01:09 AM
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:30:02 AM UTC-7, Roger Fowler wrote:
> Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'm
>
> looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.
>

> TIA,
>
> Roger

The Cowley Fall Camp, run annually by the Alberta Soaring Council, is a diamond mine most years.

This year it will run from September 29 to October 8.

Should be a fun time for all. Two seat gliders and instructors will be available for site familiarization and wave familiarization.

More details at: http://www.soaring.ab.ca/cowley.html

Cheers, Bruce Friesen

bumper[_4_]
September 23rd 12, 04:36 AM
Minden, NV has excellent wave, wave window, great infrastructure, other stuff to occupy the family, accomodations, spectacular scenery, pro-soaring airport management, and a friendly soaring FBO - - "SoaringNV".

Rumor has it one of their part time tow pilots cam find lift like a hawk with a built in ClearNav vario.

bumper

Disclaimer: I sometimes tow for SoaringNV.

Chris Rollings[_2_]
September 23rd 12, 07:15 AM
Lots of good wave days in Boulder, Colorado in October.

At 11:15 22 September 2012, Roger Fowler wrote:
>Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'
>looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.
>
>TIA,
>Roger

WAVEGURU
September 23rd 12, 07:54 AM
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:30:02 AM UTC-7, Roger Fowler wrote:
> Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'm
>
> looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.
>

> TIA,
>
> Roger

WAVEGURU
September 23rd 12, 07:56 AM
Not sure what happened to my last post?

We have wave windows here if you don't want to notch your trace low...

Boggs

Papa3[_2_]
September 23rd 12, 01:50 PM
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:30:02 AM UTC-4, Roger Fowler wrote:
> Does anyone in the US typically see wave conditions in October? I'm
>
> looking to get an early start on my quest for diamond altitude this year.
>

> TIA,
>
> Roger

Don't forget the East Coast. Many of the State Records in New England and the Mid Atlantic states are set in the Fall wave. Sugarbush hosts one of the more well known events:

http://www.sugarbush.org/Sugarbush_Soaring/Fall_Wave_Camp.html

son_of_flubber
September 23rd 12, 07:52 PM
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:50:28 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
> Sugarbush hosts one of the more well known events:
>
> http://www.sugarbush.org/Sugarbush_Soaring/Fall_Wave_Camp.html

The wave at Sugarbush has the advantages of forming close to the airport and starting low enough to fly without supplemental oxygen.

Google