PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh: CBS News to air anti-GA hit piece on Wed. 1/14

Maule Driver
January 14th 04, 02:36 AM
I saw it too. I'm hoping that it is a more level headed report than the
teasing trailer suggests. Oh, maybe I'll just not watch.

"David H" > wrote in message
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

BTIZ
January 14th 04, 02:36 AM
someone send this to AOPA??

BT

"David H" > wrote in message
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Paul Folbrecht
January 14th 04, 02:41 AM
I'll write them. Everybody needs to write them. Can the media in this
country possibly get any more pathetic?

David H wrote:
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

David H
January 14th 04, 02:42 AM
[...]

Harry Gordon
January 14th 04, 03:01 AM
I stopped watching CBS News about 6 months ago because of their hyped-up
newscasts. They try to make "a cat crossing the street" report sound like
"if the cat makes it, the world will come to an end." :-(

Harry

"David H" > wrote in message
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

David H
January 14th 04, 03:37 AM
AOPA is closed for the day. Someone needs to call them at 8 am eastern time
(or whenever their office opens) Tuesday morning.

I'm on the west coast, otherwise I'd do it myself (I'm not getting up at 5 am
to do it). One of you early-risers on the east coast will have to do it
(actually, several people ought to do it, to make sure they don't drop the
ball). Boyer should be on the horn screaming at CBS by 8:10.

If the "teaser" reflects the tone of the piece they're going to air on
Wednesday, it looks like it'll be one of the most awful pieces of anti-GA
hysteria we've seen.

BTIZ wrote:

> someone send this to AOPA??
>
> BT
>
> "David H" > wrote in message
> > I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> > "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> > 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
> >
> > It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> > saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> > Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> > "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> > found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> > Investigation."
> >
> > Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
> >
> > I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> > at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> > lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
> >

> > David H
> > Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> > http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Paul Folbrecht
January 14th 04, 03:54 AM
Yeah, they're generally among the worst of a bad crowd.

Harry Gordon wrote:
> I stopped watching CBS News about 6 months ago because of their hyped-up
> newscasts. They try to make "a cat crossing the street" report sound like
> "if the cat makes it, the world will come to an end." :-(

Judah
January 14th 04, 04:27 AM
There's gotta be a way to foil their plans and make their fear-spreading
tactics reduce their revenues. How can we get our hands on the Nielson
list?

David H > wrote in :

> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Peter Gottlieb
January 14th 04, 04:47 AM
Some people will be outraged, but for the most part those people have little
influence. For many people, either they will forget the report quickly
(after all, it is not news but entertainment), or they will think less of
CBS for airing it.

Let's hope that policymakers still have some sembelence of intelligence.

CBS should be ashamed at themselves for the damage to this country they
could cause by these sensationalist pieces. If you were to follow this line
of thought, first private airplanes would be banned, then private boats,
then all facilities would be fortified with large exclusion zones, and we
would be a complete police state where the suspects, er, citizens have no
rights and no constitution.

"Judah" > wrote in message
> There's gotta be a way to foil their plans and make their fear-spreading
> tactics reduce their revenues. How can we get our hands on the Nielson
> list?
>

> David H > wrote in :
>
> > I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> > "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> > 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
> >
> > It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> > saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> > Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> > "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> > found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> > Investigation."
> >
> > Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
> >
> > I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> > at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> > lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
> >

> > David H
> > Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> > http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

StellaStar
January 14th 04, 04:58 AM
>> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
>> "investigation" on security at GA airports,

You have the power to do something about it. Something positive, proactive.

Got time? Call the local CBS affiliate. First thing in the morning the
assignment editor will be sending out crews to hit the day's top stories.
Someone will go to the statehouse, someone else will cover the trailer-house
fire, someone's hoping there's something happening today more interesting than
their city council members bickering over a sewer easement.

A pilot (or your friendly FBO operator, if he/she will do it) offering a tour
of the local GA facilities and a quickly-rehearsed list of the security
measures that have been standard for a long time will make an attractive
"companion piece" the local station can produce to localize the story.

They love that. It ties them to the national story. It's good video. And as per
your suggestion, they get to offer the surprising angle that the airport is NOT
a threat. They've made the city safe! They have a scoop!

Offer a ride to the reporter and/or camera person. Do a preflight and then
challenge them to steal your plane (don't tell 'em how it starts -- and keep
the key in your pocket). Introduce them to a few of the hangar-flyers who keep
an eye on folks that wander through, and give them a clue how pilots are aware
of things going on at their airport.

Anybody can do it. It's done every day. I'd do it myself, but the popular
weatherman at our local CBS affiliate is a GA pilot and I'd bet dinner he'll
have a local airport piece of his own done by the evening news.

David H
January 14th 04, 05:16 AM
Peter Gottlieb wrote:

> Some people will be outraged, but for the most part those people have little
> influence. For many people, either they will forget the report quickly
> (after all, it is not news but entertainment), or they will think less of
> CBS for airing it.
>
> Let's hope that policymakers still have some sembelence of intelligence.

A thin reed to hang one's hope on. :/

Actually, I think the best we can hope for is something much more important and
newsworthy happening during the day to pre-empt this - like something involving
Michael Jackson....

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

John Gaquin
January 14th 04, 05:36 AM
"Maule Driver" > wrote in message

> I'm hoping that it is a more level headed report ...

From network news? a level-headed report? still smokin' that funny stuff,
huh?

C J Campbell
January 14th 04, 10:00 AM
"David H" > wrote in message
| I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
| "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
| 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.

The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we see
news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the airport,
we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground, and smash his
camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not allow the airport or
personnel associated with the airport to be photographed or interviewed
because that would compromise security. They want tough security measures?
Then let's give them tough security measures!

CFLav8r
January 14th 04, 01:20 PM
This is all I could find on the CBS website:

NEW YORK

(CBS) And here's an early look at what we're working on for tomorrow's
broadcast:

There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country with
little or no security. How can that be after 9-11? We'll have the story on
Wednesday's CBS Evening News.

If you would like more information on any of these stories or the broadcast,
please click on the following address and e-mail us:

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 01:32 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> "David H" > wrote in message
> | I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> | "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> | 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
> |

> The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we see
> news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the
airport,
> we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground, and smash
his
> camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not allow the airport
or
> personnel associated with the airport to be photographed or interviewed
> because that would compromise security. They want tough security measures?
> Then let's give them tough security measures!

I wonder why they don't check security on U-Haul parking lots (ala Oklahoma
City)?

CFLav8r
January 14th 04, 01:34 PM
This next link will take you to their video preview page where if you scroll
down to last link called-
Evening News: Next
It will bring up the ad for the GA piece.
What a farce!
I guess next they'll do a piece on how I can take my boat
anywhere I please without reporting to the Government.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/videos500251.shtml#

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 02:28 PM
"John Gaquin" > wrote in message

> "Maule Driver" > wrote in message
>
> > I'm hoping that it is a more level headed report ...
>
> From network news? a level-headed report? still smokin' that funny
stuff,
> huh?

From CBS, no less; the folks that blew up a pickup truck to show how they
could...well, blow up.

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 02:29 PM
"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I'll write them. Everybody needs to write them. Can the media in this
> country possibly get any more pathetic?

Yes -- CNN!

ISLIP
January 14th 04, 03:02 PM
We need someone, perhaps AOPA, to publically voice their concern on how easy it
would be to take a van, paint it up to look like a CBS News Van, pack it with
explosives, and drive it to city hall, mall etc.
Does security ever stop the press & do vehicle checks?? Doubt it

John

Jim Buckridge
January 14th 04, 03:25 PM
David H > wrote in message >...
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.

Snipped from the CBS website: There's an email address I plan on
sending an email to.

----------------------------
(CBS) And here's an early look at what we're working on for tomorrow's
broadcast:

There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country
with little or no security. How can that be after 9-11? We'll have the
story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News.

If you would like more information on any of these stories or the
broadcast, please click on the following address and e-mail us:

C J Campbell
January 14th 04, 04:51 PM
"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message

| "John Gaquin" > wrote in message
| >
| > "Maule Driver" > wrote in message
| >
| > > I'm hoping that it is a more level headed report ...
| >
| > From network news? a level-headed report? still smokin' that funny
| stuff,
| > huh?
| >
| From CBS, no less; the folks that blew up a pickup truck to show how they
| could...well, blow up.

I believe that was NBC. The truck would not blow up when rammed from the
side so they attached fireworks to make sure that they got a nice explosion.
Then they ran a show on how dangerous the truck was. This was one of those
rare cases where the manufacturer successfully sued for defamation.

Cecil E. Chapman
January 14th 04, 05:00 PM
AOPA has something up on this on the home page.

Just saw the teaser via the CBS website. I sent them a well-reasoned and
thoughtful e-mail, which of course means it will be promptly discarded.
Still it can't hurt.

I'm going to try and record it tonight on video tape.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"

Gene Seibel
January 14th 04, 05:01 PM
I like that!!!
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"C J Campbell" > wrote in message >...

> The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we see
> news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the airport,
> we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground, and smash his
> camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not allow the airport or
> personnel associated with the airport to be photographed or interviewed
> because that would compromise security. They want tough security measures?
> Then let's give them tough security measures!

Mike Rapoport
January 14th 04, 05:34 PM
"Cecil E. Chapman" > wrote in message
om...
> AOPA has something up on this on the home page.
>
> Just saw the teaser via the CBS website. I sent them a well-reasoned and
> thoughtful e-mail, which of course means it will be promptly discarded.
> Still it can't hurt.

Actually it will hurt. CBS is a BUSINESS that is measured by the number or
people who watch their programming and the more feedback they get the better
(to them).

Mike
MU-2

> I'm going to try and record it tonight on video tape.
>
> --
> --
> =-----
> Good Flights!
>
> Cecil
> PP-ASEL
>
> Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text
at:
> www.bayareapilot.com
>
> "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things."
> - Antoine de Saint-Exupery -
>
> "We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
> this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
> - Cecil Day Lewis -
> "

Eric Miller
January 14th 04, 05:56 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we see
> news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the
airport,
> we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground, and smash
his
> camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not allow the airport
or
> personnel associated with the airport to be photographed or interviewed
> because that would compromise security. They want tough security measures?
> Then let's give them tough security measures!

Actually, tackling the media, beating the crap out of them and destroying
their equipment is just a good policy in general

Jim
January 14th 04, 05:56 PM
Takeing off on your thoughts I sent the following to CBS.

Re: General Aviation Security Story
I just don't get it.

The media's inaccurate reporting and constant craving for hype and
sensational stories strikes again, this time the media's paranoid and
delusional spotlight has focused on the supposed lack of security and the
invisible threat that general aviation has on the American public. While
security levels vary at airports used primarily for general aviation, so do
the security levels at harbors, train stations, freight yards, beaches,
stadiums, and your neighborhood mall, or god forbid your neighborhood
school. Just because a group of terrorists chose commercial airliners as
their weapons of choice, it does not mean that the next logical step is for
them to continue to exploit aviation as a means of terror. What if they
would have used a semi-tanker full of fuel? Would that mean that every
freight yard in the country must implement new security measures? What if
they would have used a ship or a boat and destroyed a harbor? Harbors
haven't been put in your spot light. What if they would have chosen to
de-rail several of the nations passenger and freight trains? Should we now
put fences along all railroad tracks across the entire nation? Do you
honestly think that public parking garages or stadium parking lots monitor
the contents of every vehicle as well as do identity checks on their
drivers??? Why not? What if they would have rented a white truck and
parked it outside a mall, school, packed stadium, in a basement parking
garage, or even a federal building then blew it up? Hey! didn't that happen
the first time the WTC was bombed and then it happened in Oklahoma city?
Hmm... people still rent white trucks!!! And weren't they initially looking
for a white van in the sniper case?? Clearly white vehicles should be
banned, they are always being used by terrorists. Aren't your news vans
white? Now I have proof that news crews drive around in terrorist vehicles!
I'm just useing your own logic. Have you people forgotten what country we
live in and what rights and privileges the law abiding public is supposed to
have?

I'd really like to know just what type of security you think should be in
place at general aviation airports. First you must convince me that you
believe a threat actually exists, what that threat is, and what historic
events lead you to believe that the threat will occur again. Simply saying
something is possible and somebody "might" be able to do this or that isn't
enough. It equates to saying "because guns exist, we're all in danger of
being shot" or "because cars exist and they've been known to crash, every
passenger is at risk of crashing and being killed". Raising fear in the
public's eyes is not doing justice to their intelligence nor providing a
public service.

Jim Burns III

C J Campbell
January 14th 04, 06:08 PM
"Mike Rapoport" > wrote in message
ink.net...

| "Cecil E. Chapman" > wrote in message
| om...
| > AOPA has something up on this on the home page.
| >
| > Just saw the teaser via the CBS website. I sent them a well-reasoned
and
| > thoughtful e-mail, which of course means it will be promptly discarded.
| > Still it can't hurt.
| >

| Actually it will hurt. CBS is a BUSINESS that is measured by the number
or
| people who watch their programming and the more feedback they get the
better
| (to them).

Actually, the email signaled to CBS that their show will be watched by every
pilot in the country. No doubt there are CBS executives sitting around
saying, "That worked pretty well. Let's do it again."

Judah
January 14th 04, 06:11 PM
Now THAT's an idea I like!

"C J Campbell" > wrote in
:

> "David H" > wrote in message
>| I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting
>| their "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow
>| (Wed. 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>|

> The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we
> see news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the
> airport, we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground,
> and smash his camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not
> allow the airport or personnel associated with the airport to be
> photographed or interviewed because that would compromise security.
> They want tough security measures? Then let's give them tough security
> measures!

Andrew Gideon
January 14th 04, 06:29 PM
C J Campbell wrote:

> Actually, the email signaled to CBS that their show will be watched by
> every pilot in the country. No doubt there are CBS executives sitting
> around saying, "That worked pretty well. Let's do it again."

So here I am, ready to write something. I see your point, but what
alternative is there to complaining? I don't like the idea of ignoring it.

What do people suggest?

BTW, I was planning to ask when they'll be discussing the fact that trucks
can go anywhere without flight plans or talking to ground traffic control.
Considering how often trucks have been used in terrorist attacks, both
world-wide and in the US, this is terrifying.

I wasn't even going to mention that I'm a pilot (it's not really relevant to
my point).

- Andrew

Judah
January 14th 04, 06:45 PM
You'll never get CBS to air a report like that on TV.

You might have a shot of getting the Newspapers to, tho. :)

(ISLIP) wrote in
:

> We need someone, perhaps AOPA, to publically voice their concern on how
> easy it would be to take a van, paint it up to look like a CBS News
> Van, pack it with explosives, and drive it to city hall, mall etc.
> Does security ever stop the press & do vehicle checks?? Doubt it
>
> John

Jim
January 14th 04, 07:09 PM
I contacted the owner of the FBO at KAUW where there is also a CBS station
in town. He emailed me back and said that they were on their way out for an
interview to get his reaction to the network story.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"David H" > wrote in message
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Max T, CFI
January 14th 04, 07:46 PM
Here's the email I sent to our CBS channel 5 in S.F. last night.
So far no response.
Max T, MCFI

Brian,
Regarding the teaser for Wednesday's CBS Evening News:
"There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country with little or no security. How can that be after
9-11? We'll have the story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News."

You might want to consider on the local news going to a local airport and showing people how small these planes are,
how little they carry, and hence how tiny a threat they are compared to airliners carrying thousands of gallons of
gasoline.

From the www.aopa.org website, AOPA President Phil Boyer testified before congress in 2001 that "in this national
tragedy, it was airline security that was breached, and airline transport category equipment used as weapons. However,
general aviation was the last allowed to return to the sky, and not all GA is yet flying. "We're not talking about big
airplanes," Boyer told Congress. "We're talking about 4-place, single-engine aircraft that are on average 30 years old,
cost the same as a car, and have the same weight and kinetic energy of a car."

You only have to look at the pictures of the Cessna that the teenager flew into a building in Tampa to see that these
planes are incapable of causing much damage. Most of these planes carry so little fuel they don't even burn when
there's an accident.

Give me a call if you want to talk further. I'll be in a meeting from 9-11AM, but should otherwise be free.
best regards,
xxxxx

Peter R.
January 14th 04, 07:57 PM
Jim ) wrote:

> Takeing off on your thoughts I sent the following to CBS.
<snip>

Hopefully you sprinkled a few more paragraph breaks in your CBS letter.
Makes it a bit easier to read. ;)

--
Peter

Jim
January 14th 04, 08:01 PM
Great points. Another would be the relatively small amount of fuel they
hold compared to the semi tractors running the roads these days. When
room so they can put on up to 300 gallons of diesel fuel. Much much more
than your typical 172.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Max T, CFI" > wrote in message
> Here's the email I sent to our CBS channel 5 in S.F. last night.
> So far no response.
> Max T, MCFI
>

> Brian,
> Regarding the teaser for Wednesday's CBS Evening News:
> "There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country with
little or no security. How can that be after
> 9-11? We'll have the story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News."
>
> You might want to consider on the local news going to a local airport and
showing people how small these planes are,
> how little they carry, and hence how tiny a threat they are compared to
airliners carrying thousands of gallons of
> gasoline.
>
> From the www.aopa.org website, AOPA President Phil Boyer testified before
congress in 2001 that "in this national
> tragedy, it was airline security that was breached, and airline transport
category equipment used as weapons. However,
> general aviation was the last allowed to return to the sky, and not all GA
is yet flying. "We're not talking about big
> airplanes," Boyer told Congress. "We're talking about 4-place,
single-engine aircraft that are on average 30 years old,
> cost the same as a car, and have the same weight and kinetic energy of a
car."

> You only have to look at the pictures of the Cessna that the teenager flew
into a building in Tampa to see that these
> planes are incapable of causing much damage. Most of these planes carry
so little fuel they don't even burn when
> there's an accident.
>
> Give me a call if you want to talk further. I'll be in a meeting from
9-11AM, but should otherwise be free.
> best regards,
> xxxxx

VideoGuy
January 14th 04, 08:13 PM
"Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
et...

[snip]
> CBS should be ashamed at themselves for the damage to this country they
> could cause by these sensationalist pieces.

There are just too many things CBS (or NBC, or ABC, or...) should be ashamed
of that one more won't make much difference. Generally, these people are
interested in eyeball count first and maybe factual presentations second.
Well maybe tenth on the facts part.

Sensationalism gets viewers. That is a fact of the news/entertainment
business. Maybe we should change the name to newsertainment. IMO, the ONLY
way to effect a change in the way these people "report" GA news is to effect
their revenues. I propose we use whatever methods we have at our disposal to
counter their lines of bilge, and critize their inaccuracies with as much
professionalism as possible. Threatening to not watch is fine. But getting
others to realize the poor quality of the reporting is much more effective.
Sorta like the "give a fish-teach to fish thing"

Joining AOPA and other GA friendly organizations is a good start. Actively
promoting GA to everyone who will listen is another method. Volunteer at
Young Eagle events; cultivate the friendship of newspaper/magazine/local
radio reporters. Get the word out about the positive things GA provides to
the general public. I'm sure there are many more I haven't mentioned.

A truly informed viewer would be the death of network news as it is
structured today. Will my singular efforts make much of a diference? I
don't know, but I'm going to try.

VideoGuy

Jim
January 14th 04, 08:22 PM
Besides what I posted above, I PS'd my email to CBS by telling them to relay
a message to their advertisers that I will no longer be viewing any CBS
shows, including their network news. Then I emailed a local FBO owner who
promptly got a hold of the nearest CBS affiliate to interview him. No where
did I indicate that I was a pilot.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

> So here I am, ready to write something. I see your point, but what
> alternative is there to complaining? I don't like the idea of ignoring
it.

> What do people suggest?
>
> BTW, I was planning to ask when they'll be discussing the fact that trucks
> can go anywhere without flight plans or talking to ground traffic control.
> Considering how often trucks have been used in terrorist attacks, both
> world-wide and in the US, this is terrifying.
>
> I wasn't even going to mention that I'm a pilot (it's not really relevant
> my point).
>
> - Andrew

Michael 182
January 14th 04, 08:26 PM
I'm not supporting CBS in anyway, and I do believe GA gets a lot of this
kind of publicity, as is often stated on this forum, because we are a small
"elite" minority. OTOH, I don't think the fear, rational or irrational, is
based on the Tampa scenario. It is based on loading up a small twin, or a
heavy single with explosives and following that with some suicide activity.
I don't know anything about explosives, but I suspect that the 900+ useful
load in a 182 could carry enough explosives to be pretty brutal in a crowded
place.

I know, I know - there are plenty of equivalent threats that are not
monitored (I liked the post about trucks/OKC). I just don't like to take the
stance that GA is no threat - what happens after some incident occurs? Does
GA become shut down?

On a macro scale the problem is trying to manage all terrorist risk at the
expense of common sense and reality. On a less grand scale, I just would
like to see GA as concerned and proactive, since I'm afraid of what the
government will do if they are allowed, through an incident, to become
reactive.

This doesn't take away from the fact that the CBS trailer is ridiculous.

Michael

"Max T, CFI" > wrote in message
> Here's the email I sent to our CBS channel 5 in S.F. last night.
> So far no response.
> Max T, MCFI
>

> Brian,
> Regarding the teaser for Wednesday's CBS Evening News:
> "There are thousands of general aviation airstrips around the country with
little or no security. How can that be after
> 9-11? We'll have the story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News."
>
> You might want to consider on the local news going to a local airport and
showing people how small these planes are,
> how little they carry, and hence how tiny a threat they are compared to
airliners carrying thousands of gallons of
> gasoline.

> From the www.aopa.org website, AOPA President Phil Boyer testified before
congress in 2001 that "in this national
> tragedy, it was airline security that was breached, and airline transport
category equipment used as weapons. However,
> general aviation was the last allowed to return to the sky, and not all GA
is yet flying. "We're not talking about big
> airplanes," Boyer told Congress. "We're talking about 4-place,
single-engine aircraft that are on average 30 years old,
> cost the same as a car, and have the same weight and kinetic energy of a
car."

> You only have to look at the pictures of the Cessna that the teenager flew
into a building in Tampa to see that these
> planes are incapable of causing much damage. Most of these planes carry
so little fuel they don't even burn when
> there's an accident.
>
> Give me a call if you want to talk further. I'll be in a meeting from
9-11AM, but should otherwise be free.
> best regards,
> xxxxx

Geoffrey Barnes
January 14th 04, 09:56 PM
Not that it will do any good, but I sent the following to CBS:

I am writing, with no expectations of it having any effect, to express my
grave dissatisfaction with the promotional spots you are running for this
evening's newscasts. In these spots, you promise to reveal the grave
security threat that general aviation airports pose to our country. These
spots - and presumably the report you intend to run this evening - are
focused on a threat that is at best extremely remote.

Like almost any other pilot, I could cite any number of reasons why this
nation's light aircraft present far less of a threat than nearly every other
means of transportation. The simple fact, however, is that your
organization isn't even remotely concerned with telling the other side of
the story. Any number of national organizations, such as the Airplane
Owners and Pilot's Association (AOPA), would have happily granted on-camera
interviews for this story if they had been invited to do so. Since CBS News
failed to take even this basic and obvious step, one can only conclude that
your broadcast will reflect only one reporter's misguided understanding of
the world.

CBS News is not serving the public interest with this report, and is not
adhering to it's commitment to use the public airwaves in a responsible
manner.

In closing, I want to assure you that my letter should not be taken as an
indicator that I will be viewing your broadcast this evening. I also won't
bore you with threats to boycott your broadcasts in the future. The truth
of the matter is that my family simply gave away our television three years
ago, and have never looked back. A big part of our decision to do so came
from being exposed to over-hyped, inaccurate, and uninformative news reports
such as this one. In fact, I urge to continue on the road you have chosen.
Every time you present something that a good number of people know to be
patently false, you impugn your credibility with the public even further.
Eventually, you just may offend everyone enough to get them to follow my
family's example.

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 10:01 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> "Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message

> | > From network news? a level-headed report? still smokin' that funny
> | stuff,
> | > huh?
> | >
> | From CBS, no less; the folks that blew up a pickup truck to show how
they
> | could...well, blow up.
>
> I believe that was NBC. The truck would not blow up when rammed from the
> side so they attached fireworks to make sure that they got a nice
explosion.
> Then they ran a show on how dangerous the truck was. This was one of those
> rare cases where the manufacturer successfully sued for defamation.

You sure? I thought it was a part of "60 Minutes".

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 10:07 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "David H" > wrote in message
> >| I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting
> >| their "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow
> >| (Wed. 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
> >|

> > The way to respond to shows like this is to increase security. If we
> > see news media photographing the airport or interviewing people at the
> > airport, we should tackle the reporter, throw him or her to the ground,
> > and smash his camera equipment. Then we should explain that we do not
> > allow the airport or personnel associated with the airport to be
> > photographed or interviewed because that would compromise security.
> > They want tough security measures? Then let's give them tough security
> > measures!

They should also be held incommunicado for 30 days after the incident (in
the FBO restrooms) as an added security precaution.

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 10:10 PM
"Michael 182" > wrote in message

> I'm not supporting CBS in anyway, and I do believe GA gets a lot of this
> kind of publicity, as is often stated on this forum, because we are a
small
> "elite" minority. OTOH, I don't think the fear, rational or irrational, is
> based on the Tampa scenario. It is based on loading up a small twin, or a
> heavy single with explosives and following that with some suicide
activity.
> I don't know anything about explosives, but I suspect that the 900+ useful
> load in a 182 could carry enough explosives to be pretty brutal in a
crowded
> place.

You could carry a lot more explosives in a 3/4 ton pickup or a 12 foot
U-Haul or fake UPS truck.

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 10:11 PM
"VideoGuy" <gkasten at brick dot net> wrote in message

> "Peter Gottlieb" > wrote in message
> et...
>
> [snip]
> > CBS should be ashamed at themselves for the damage to this country they
> > could cause by these sensationalist pieces.
> >
> There are just too many things CBS (or NBC, or ABC, or...) should be
ashamed
> of that one more won't make much difference. Generally, these people are
> interested in eyeball count first and maybe factual presentations second.
> Well maybe tenth on the facts part.
>
> Sensationalism gets viewers. That is a fact of the news/entertainment
> business.

Anyone read Michael Crichton's book "Airframe"? Completely skewers the
"news" media.

Michael 182
January 14th 04, 10:13 PM
As I said in my original post "I know, I know - there are plenty of
equivalent threats that are not monitored (I liked the post about
trucks/OKC). I just don't like to take the stance that GA is no threat -
what happens after some incident occurs? Does GA become shut down?"

"Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message

> "Michael 182" > wrote in message
> >
> > I'm not supporting CBS in anyway, and I do believe GA gets a lot of this
> > kind of publicity, as is often stated on this forum, because we are a
> small
> > "elite" minority. OTOH, I don't think the fear, rational or irrational,
is
> > based on the Tampa scenario. It is based on loading up a small twin, or
> > heavy single with explosives and following that with some suicide
> activity.
> > I don't know anything about explosives, but I suspect that the 900+
useful
> > load in a 182 could carry enough explosives to be pretty brutal in a
> crowded
> > place.
> >

> You could carry a lot more explosives in a 3/4 ton pickup or a 12 foot
> U-Haul or fake UPS truck.

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 10:16 PM
"Geoffrey Barnes" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Not that it will do any good, but I sent the following to CBS:
[snip]
> In closing, I want to assure you that my letter should not be taken as an
> indicator that I will be viewing your broadcast this evening. I also
won't
> bore you with threats to boycott your broadcasts in the future. The truth
> of the matter is that my family simply gave away our television three
years
> ago, and have never looked back. A big part of our decision to do so came
> from being exposed to over-hyped, inaccurate, and uninformative news
reports
> such as this one.

Good man!!

I disconnected our cable two years ago...we have a 54" TV, but the only
signal it gets from the DVD and VCR players.

Tom Sixkiller
January 14th 04, 10:28 PM
> As I said in my original post "I know, I know - there are plenty of
> equivalent threats that are not monitored (I liked the post about
> trucks/OKC). I just don't like to take the stance that GA is no threat -
> what happens after some incident occurs? Does GA become shut down?"

You know that, I know that, and the rest of the people here know that --
these mental midgets don't (seem to) know it and the audience doesn't
(apparently) seem able to figure that out.

> "Tom Sixkiller" > wrote in message
> >
> > You could carry a lot more explosives in a 3/4 ton pickup or a 12 foot
> > U-Haul or fake UPS truck.

Fred
January 14th 04, 11:55 PM
I haven't even had my first flight yet and they want to close down all
the GA airports!?!? Ugh!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/14/eveningnews/main593216.shtml

--------------------------------

David H > wrote in message >...
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Dave Stadt
January 15th 04, 12:08 AM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> David H wrote:
> >
> > I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> > "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> > 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> Well, let me know how it goes. I haven't watched broadcast TV since I got
tired
> of them shuffling "WKRP in Cincinnati" from one time slot to another every
week
> (IOW, not for a lllooonnnggg time).

You haven't missed a thing!

> George Patterson
> Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is
> "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Geoffrey Barnes
January 15th 04, 12:23 AM
> Well, let me know how it goes. I haven't watched broadcast TV since I got
tired
> of them shuffling "WKRP in Cincinnati" from one time slot to another every
week
> (IOW, not for a lllooonnnggg time).

That makes three of us who have shut off the box... I even gave mine away to
my in-laws (and no, it didn't really help... they still don't think I'm good
enough for their daughter).

Jay Honeck
January 15th 04, 12:52 AM
> Actually, tackling the media, beating the crap out of them and destroying
> their equipment is just a good policy in general

I know you're being facetious, but reading this kind of statement is still
scary.

If you think the TSA and other government agencies are acting heavy-handed
now, imagine what they would be like without the media keeping them honest.

Think "North Korea."
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

MRQB
January 15th 04, 01:56 AM
just got done watching the news all i can say is hahahaha what bullshi*
PHuck CBS time for a G-A boycot of cbs

"David H" > wrote in message
> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
> saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
> Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. <Announcer voice-over>:
> "You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
> found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
> Investigation."
>
> Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.
>
> I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
> at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
> lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....
>

> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Ben Smith
January 15th 04, 02:06 AM
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/14/eveningnews/main593216.shtml

In case anyone missed the broadcast, they have a streaming copy of the
report at the above site.. (Click the 'free video' link)

G.R. Patterson III
January 15th 04, 02:13 AM
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

> They should also be held incommunicado for 30 days after the incident (in
> the FBO restrooms) as an added security precaution.

Hey! The congestion at the FBO reading room after a long flight is bad enough
without using it as a holding cell.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

G.R. Patterson III
January 15th 04, 02:59 AM
David H wrote:

> I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.

Well, let me know how it goes. I haven't watched broadcast TV since I got tired
of them shuffling "WKRP in Cincinnati" from one time slot to another every week
(IOW, not for a lllooonnnggg time).

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

G.R. Patterson III
January 15th 04, 03:01 AM
Fred wrote:

> I haven't even had my first flight yet and they want to close down all
> the GA airports!?!? Ugh!

Get used to it. Some form of "they" have been trying to close down airports since
at least the end of WW II.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 03:19 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Tom Sixkiller wrote:
> >
> > They should also be held incommunicado for 30 days after the incident
(in
> > the FBO restrooms) as an added security precaution.
>
> Hey! The congestion at the FBO reading room after a long flight is bad
enough
> without using it as a holding cell.

Hmmmm...that's true! I guess we'll just have to take them in there and
quickly flush them.

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 03:21 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Actually, tackling the media, beating the crap out of them and
destroying
> > their equipment is just a good policy in general
>
> I know you're being facetious, but reading this kind of statement is still
> scary.
>
> If you think the TSA and other government agencies are acting heavy-handed
> now, imagine what they would be like without the media keeping them
honest.

Surely you're not serious!!!

> Think "North Korea."

North Korea? Hell, think "Washington D.C." (District of Criminals)

(Remember: The vast majority of criticism is self-serving)

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 03:22 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> David H wrote:
> >
> > I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
> > "investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
> > 1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.
>
> Well, let me know how it goes. I haven't watched broadcast TV since I got
tired
> of them shuffling "WKRP in Cincinnati" from one time slot to another every
week
> (IOW, not for a lllooonnnggg time).

A man has GOT to have his PRIORITIES! :~)

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 03:23 PM
"Geoffrey Barnes" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> > Well, let me know how it goes. I haven't watched broadcast TV since I
got
> tired
> > of them shuffling "WKRP in Cincinnati" from one time slot to another
every
> week
> > (IOW, not for a lllooonnnggg time).
>
> That makes three of us who have shut off the box... I even gave mine away
> my in-laws (and no, it didn't really help... they still don't think I'm
good
> enough for their daughter).

Wrong point: -- Are THEY good enough for YOU?

Al Gerharter
January 15th 04, 06:06 PM
Did anyone catch who the sponsors were? I don't think I would want my
company advertising on a program that was obviously Clueless, and Uniformed.
Wouldn't that reflect poorly on my product? If "They" are ignorant, and I
hire them to represent me, am I not ignorant by association? By
demonstration?

> Wait until you see what we found. You'll be shocked.
> Tune in tomorrow for a CBS
> Evening News Investigation."

This pretty much says it all. Some geek with too much time on his hands
takes a cheap shot at an industry for his own glory and profit. I think I
need to know where this "terrorist" gets his financing. Not with my dollars
you don't

Al Gerharter

Peter Weaver
January 15th 04, 06:22 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/14/eveningnews/main593216.shtml

Doesn't the American Homeland Security Department (or whatever
it is called) have some rules/laws about spreading unnecessary
fear and/or threats? If they have something like that maybe
one of the Americans reading this can file a complaint with
the department that CBS is terrorizing the American public
with this invented fear.

--
Peter Weaver
Weaver Consulting Services Inc.

Matthew P. Cummings
January 15th 04, 06:46 PM
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:01:04 -0700, Tom Sixkiller wrote:

> You sure? I thought it was a part of "60 Minutes".

Nope it was NBC for sure.

They all do it. ABC did the Food Lion deal where their undercover
reporters fabricated dirty working conditions for the food, then filmed
it, sold moldy food to their employees, actually filmed themselves selling
themselves moldy food several times to get a good take. Of course, they
lost the court battle when Food Lion sued them. They stupidly kept the
outtakes.

CBS decided to preempt all the other networks on the start of the Iraq war
and aired a live attack piece, problem was, there was no war at the time,
not for quite some time. They ended up saying it was a rehearsal for the
real thing. You had to see it to believe it, they actually sent out a
live feed to the affiliates and claimed all this stuff was happening right
there, right now, when it wasn't... Gotta give them an E for effort
though.

Of course there are many many other fabrications by the big 3, plus also
Fox and CNN have been caught in the game to boot. Do a google search and
you'll be amazed at the court battles lost by them, they're all nothing
more than a propaganda machine for somebody, though who nobody knows...

For those that think this is a new thing, it's not. This has been
happening for a long time, but there's very little coverage of it because
if they nail the other network, they themselves become fair game as well,
a no win for them, and so it continues unchecked.

Ron Natalie
January 15th 04, 07:25 PM
"Matthew P. Cummings" > wrote in message ray.net...
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:01:04 -0700, Tom Sixkiller wrote:
>
> > You sure? I thought it was a part of "60 Minutes".
>
> Nope it was NBC for sure.

The saddle tank "simulation" was done for Dateline. A show that's
intended to be more entertainment than news.

C J Campbell
January 15th 04, 08:25 PM
"Martin Hotze" > wrote in message
| "Geoffrey Barnes" > wrote:
|
| > I am writing, with no expectations of it having any effect, to express
my
| > grave dissatisfaction with the promotional spots you are running for
this
| > evening's newscasts. In these spots, you promise to reveal the grave
| > security threat that general aviation airports pose to our country.
These
| > spots - and presumably the report you intend to run this evening - are
| > focused on a threat that is at best extremely remote.
|

| Don't they use GA themself? A helicopter? Whre is the pad? On the roof of
their
| building? Whre do they fly to without asking for permission to get all the
| "news"?

I think it is morally reprehensible to sell them fuel or maintenance.

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 10:22 PM
"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message
> Tom Sixkiller opined
>

> >You could carry a lot more explosives in a 3/4 ton pickup or a 12 foot
> >U-Haul or fake UPS truck.
>
> Very true, but you can easily get an airplane inside a stadium or past a
road
> block or over a barbed wire fence or to the 30th floor of a building.

The Murrah Building says that's sorta irrelevant.

A semi tractor-trailer could take out the 30th floor by taking our floors 1
thru 29.

> One should neither over nor under estimate a danger.

Exactly -- and what they're doing is failing to think outside the box
(airplane=delivery system)

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 10:36 PM
"Al Gerharter" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Did anyone catch who the sponsors were? I don't think I would want my
> company advertising on a program that was obviously Clueless, and
Uniformed.
> Wouldn't that reflect poorly on my product? If "They" are ignorant, and I
> hire them to represent me, am I not ignorant by association? By
> demonstration?

Sponsors are usually lined up LONG before a segment is planned/runs.

Whatsmore, they probably figure rather like "we'll lose 50 customers, but
gain 100".

What was that Marx said about the capitalists lining up to sell the rope?

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 10:43 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Matthew P. Cummings" > wrote in message
ray.net...
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:01:04 -0700, Tom Sixkiller wrote:
> >
> > > You sure? I thought it was a part of "60 Minutes".
> >
> > Nope it was NBC for sure.
>
> The saddle tank "simulation" was done for Dateline. A show that's
> intended to be more entertainment than news.

That one is intended...the others are de facto.

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 10:45 PM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

> "Martin Hotze" > wrote in message
> | "Geoffrey Barnes" > wrote:
> |
> | > I am writing, with no expectations of it having any effect, to express
> my
> | > grave dissatisfaction with the promotional spots you are running for
> this
> | > evening's newscasts. In these spots, you promise to reveal the grave
> | > security threat that general aviation airports pose to our country.
> These
> | > spots - and presumably the report you intend to run this evening - are
> | > focused on a threat that is at best extremely remote.
> |

> | Don't they use GA themself? A helicopter? Whre is the pad? On the roof
of
> their
> | building? Whre do they fly to without asking for permission to get all
the
> | "news"?
> |

> I think it is morally reprehensible to sell them fuel or maintenance.

Or helicopters.

C J Campbell
January 16th 04, 07:08 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
| > Actually, tackling the media, beating the crap out of them and
destroying
| > their equipment is just a good policy in general
|
| I know you're being facetious, but reading this kind of statement is still
| scary.
|
| If you think the TSA and other government agencies are acting heavy-handed
| now, imagine what they would be like without the media keeping them
honest.

| Think "North Korea."

What is the media doing to keep TSA honest? You are not scared nearly
enough.

Ash Wyllie
January 16th 04, 11:44 AM
Tom Sixkiller opined

>"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message
>> Tom Sixkiller opined
>>

>> >You could carry a lot more explosives in a 3/4 ton pickup or a 12 foot
>> >U-Haul or fake UPS truck.
>>
>> Very true, but you can easily get an airplane inside a stadium or past a
>road
>> block or over a barbed wire fence or to the 30th floor of a building.

>The Murrah Building says that's sorta irrelevant.

>A semi tractor-trailer could take out the 30th floor by taking our floors 1
>thru 29.

<sigh> It is *much* easier to block a ground vehicle. </sigh>

>> One should neither over nor under estimate a danger.
>>
>Exactly -- and what they're doing is failing to think outside the box
>(airplane=delivery system)

-ash
for assistance dial MYCROFTXXX

Ron Natalie
January 16th 04, 06:46 PM
"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message ...
> <sigh> It is *much* easier to block a ground vehicle. </sigh>

It would be if you didn't mind paralyzing the city. Even DC is bristling at the
minimal restrictions in place around the White House and the Capitol. People
are just too entrenched in their car to tolerate the same sort of restrictions
heaped on aviation. Politicians are too smart to even try such.

Peter R.
January 16th 04, 06:46 PM
Ash Wyllie ) wrote:

> <sigh> It is *much* easier to block a ground vehicle. </sigh>

Perhaps around large stadium but what about other soft targets, such as
elementary schools, hospitals, etc? A bomb-laden vehicle would blend right
in.

--
Peter

Ash Wyllie
January 17th 04, 09:58 PM
Peter R. opined

>Ash Wyllie ) wrote:

>> <sigh> It is *much* easier to block a ground vehicle. </sigh>

>Perhaps around large stadium but what about other soft targets, such as
>elementary schools, hospitals, etc? A bomb-laden vehicle would blend right
>in.

Which just goes to show that making everything in a country secure is
impossible.

-ash
for assistance dial MYCROFTXXX

Google