PDA

View Full Version : Head up Displays

Muttley
September 24th 12, 02:40 PM
How long will it be before we see Glider pilots flying with Ski Goggles?

http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/snow-heads-up-display

May be they can be adapted for sunglasses and with android adaptation
to XC Soar could be possible. They even include barometric pressure.

Any whacky suggestions if they could be used in Gliding??

Muttley

Kimmo Hytoenen
September 24th 12, 09:39 PM
Would be possible projecting to canopy plexiglass.

At 13:40 24 September 2012, Muttley wrote:
>How long will it be before we see Glider pilots flying with Ski
Goggles?

>http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/snow-heads-up-
display

>May be they can be adapted for sunglasses and with android
adaptation
>to XC Soar could be possible. They even include barometric
pressure.

>Any whacky suggestions if they could be used in Gliding??
>
>Muttley

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
September 24th 12, 10:41 PM
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 06:40:37 -0700, Muttley wrote:

> How long will it be before we see Glider pilots flying with Ski Goggles?
>
> http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/snow-heads-up-display
>
> May be they can be adapted for sunglasses and with android adaptation to
> XC Soar could be possible. They even include barometric pressure.
>
> Any whacky suggestions if they could be used in Gliding??

Did you look at the video of these things in use? I'd have a problem
using them when flying because the video shows it projecting a solid, non-
transparent rectangle with information written on it rather than the
military-type HUD style of overlaying the view with semi-transparent
letters.

IMHO it would be very unwise to attempt to use HUD for something like
LK8000 or XCSoar because of the area they'd need to cover to be easily
readable, but using it as a FLARM display might be interesting.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

son_of_flubber
September 25th 12, 01:42 AM
I'd like to see something like this that would work well with Condor for less than $500.

Google