PDA

View Full Version : Gone West - Gary Knapp

mhavener
September 25th 12, 02:00 AM
Many in the soaring committee know of Gary Knapp, some firsthand and other by his numerous accomplishments during his soaring career. I’m sad to announce the Gary passed away today, 09/24/2012. I’m glad to say that I am one of those who knew him firsthand.

Gary was passionate about flying, but downright fanatical about soaring. He especially loved the 1-26 because anybody can afford to fly one. I know of two 1-26s he owned, 248 and 184, and he flew the pants of them. In fact Gary was the 10th person to achieve all of his diamonds flying a 1-26. Gary was also the Western Vice President of the 1-26 Association in 1977 and 1978 and was its 31st Life Member.

I came to know Gary when he joined the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club and I could tell right away that he was going to be a mover and a shaker. I don’t think there was anything Gary liked more than sharing his love of soaring, but I think he reveled in giving folks their first taste of the sport. He probably gave most of the club’s members their first glider flight and was one heck of a salesman. One of my most memorable flights was a Christmas Eve flight with Gary. Kevin Wayt had volunteered to tow some of us because the Santa Ana winds were blowing and the Ortega Ridge was working (so well in fact that Kevin was able ridge soar the Callaire). Ridge running in the club’s L-13 was a great Christmas gift for both of us, one we would reminisce about for years to come. Gary also served as the LESC President, Vice President, Treasurer and Safety Officer before moving to Northern California. He and his wife Gerry moved back to Southern California and I was hoping to get the chance to fly the Ortega Ridge with him again, but alas it wasn’t to be.

I know we’ll all miss that hardheaded German Engineering mind of his. He was always thinking and learning. God’s Speed my Friend.

September 25th 12, 04:15 AM
Gary war eine gute Freund! Und ein unglaubliche Segelflugzeug Pilot!
Auf Wiedersehen mein Freund! Du muss in Himmel sein.

Tom Brabeck
FTR

fcnorton
September 25th 12, 04:31 PM
RIP Gary...

Thank you for everything that you did to promote soaring and all of your hard work and dedication to grow LESC.

You will be missed.

FC Norton
C6

gkemp
September 25th 12, 05:39 PM
Gary introduced me to contest administration as his assistant in the 15 meter Nationals in Minden in 1981. I learned a great deal from him and he will be missed.

gary kemp

Google