PDA

View Full Version : Flying with hawks

September 25th 12, 07:24 PM
Sunday was a beautiful soaring day here in the northeast. Raptors are beginning to fly south and I was fortunate enough to share three different thermals/cloud streets with kettles of what I believe were red tails. There were only 15-20 in each, small as these things go, but still a wonderful sight. Not that I needed it but what a great reminder of what makes our sport so special. Those poor groundlings.

Dave Springford
September 26th 12, 12:47 AM
We had the same thing last week up here in Ontario. Flying along the north shore of Lake Erie puts one right on the migration route for the hawks. Every cloud seemed to have 20-50 Broadtail Hawks and we flew with them all day. I always look forward to flights at this time of year to fly with the hawks.

September 26th 12, 03:09 AM
On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:47:53 PM UTC-4, Dave Springford wrote:
> We had the same thing last week up here in Ontario. Flying along the north shore of Lake Erie puts one right on the migration route for the hawks. Every cloud seemed to have 20-50 Broadtail Hawks and we flew with them all day. I always look forward to flights at this time of year to fly with the hawks.

Pretty sure you both saw Broad-winged Hawks. Span 34" "Migrants gather in large flocks along favored routes." -The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Sibley.

Jack Wyman
Raptor Enclosure Builder for Raptor Rehabilitator/Spouse

Papa3[_2_]
September 26th 12, 10:19 PM
On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:24:16 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Sunday was a beautiful soaring day here in the northeast. Raptors are beginning to fly south and I was fortunate enough to share three different thermals/cloud streets with kettles of what I believe were red tails. There were only 15-20 in each, small as these things go, but still a wonderful sight. Not that I needed it but what a great reminder of what makes our sport so special. Those poor groundlings.

More likely Broadwings, which travel in large groups. Last weekend I spotted a Bald Eagle, Osprey, Black Vultures, and numerous Broadwings in a single flight.

Dave Springford
September 27th 12, 01:28 AM
Broad-winged it was - misspoke when I said broad-tail, but I was close.

Also saw about 4 bald eagles that day along the north shore of Lake Erie on their way south too.

JS
September 27th 12, 04:04 AM
In the mountains of the West, the turkey vultures are starting their migration South. Saw a mob during flight on Sunday, and today a huge column working an early thermal.
Jim

Tim Taylor
September 27th 12, 09:10 AM
Had a young Golden Eagle fly with us about two weeks ago. It was sitting just above and behind my canopy. Was beautiful, but made me a little nervous.. I could see it flex it's talons now and then. It followed me for about fifteen minutes and then when DW joined the thermal under me it flew over to his glider and flew with him for awhile. I gave seen them follow gliders before both in thermals and even on the run.

September 28th 12, 09:07 PM
I was assaulted by a Golden three summers ago N of Tehachapi. He and his eagle GF were thermaling nearby and came over to my thermal. The GF kept her distance but the male began flying above, and slightly behind my canopy. He made one very low pass from above and behind, crossing inches from my head and diving over the nose and then slammed into the turtledeck just behind my head on the next pass. Left dusty foot prints on the gel coat but no damage to him or I.

I was leaving when he got all aggro and really expedited after he hit me. He seemed pleased as the pair cruised north together.

Burt Compton - Marfa
September 28th 12, 10:37 PM
I suspect that the best compliment for a soaring pilot is a hawk or eagle joining YOUR thermal.
Happens once in a while for us over the Davis Mountains near Marfa in southwest Texas.
Swallow-Tail Kites are always amazing to watch maneuver in thermals.

Finally, watch this wonderful short video of hawks and paragliders called "Parahawks":
http://www.youtube.com/v/pd5BMP_41bI%26rel%3d0%26hl%3den_US%26feature%3dpla yer_embedded%26version%3d3

Burt
Marfa, Texas, USA

October 7th 12, 10:27 PM
I was once attacked by an eagle in Austria. I was flying north of Innsbruck at about 6000 ft, about 1000 ft above the trees, when an eagle came from above and behind and hit the canopy. I'm not sure if I was too close to its nest, but I vacated the area pronto! Fortunately there was no damage to the canopy.

Ernst
October 9th 12, 05:39 PM
While you guys meet these gorgeous birds I was left the last three weekends with Frankin's Gulls migrating through Northeastern Kansas. Flocks of hundreds are passing through marking thermals in very unorganized gaggles.
Not much Monarch butterflies this year, seems that the hot and dry Summer took its toll.
Finally, have you ever met a Great Heron in a thermal? Last summer I saw one in 8,000 ft over Clinton Lake, KS. I thought they just do low level hops from pond to pond.

Go to ebird,org and report your bird observations.
Ernst

Evan Ludeman[_4_]
October 9th 12, 06:03 PM
On Oct 9, 12:39*pm, Ernst > wrote:

> Finally, have you ever met a Great Heron in a thermal? Last summer I saw one in 8,000 ft over Clinton Lake, KS. I thought they just do low level hops from pond to pond.
Yes, I've seen them at cloud base and I've seen them ascend into
cloud.

A first for me last Friday: I shared rotor thermal with a bald eagle
and (with about 98% confidence) saw the eagle enter the wave at around
6500'. Conditions were pretty light, maybe 15 kts of wind, light
turbulence in the rotor. By the time I got well & truly established
in the wave the bird was gone. The last I saw of him he was well
above and I was only about 200" below the bottom of the wave.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Google