PDA

View Full Version : New PNA ...at least to me

September 26th 12, 03:33 AM
Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?

http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/

Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000, StrePla, and et al

Ben

pcool
September 26th 12, 11:16 AM
http://www.lk8000.it/news/204-verticasports-v2-flight-computer-reviewed.html

it is just viewable as in the pictures, and we have 5 com ports on it,
including the internal gps.
Some versions come with a baro sensor.
There are also other distributors of this device.

paolo

wrote in message

Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?

http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/

Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If so
it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000, StrePla, and
et al

Ben

Nick Hill[_3_]
September 26th 12, 11:28 AM
On 26/09/2012 03:33, wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?
>
> http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/
>
> Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen.
>If so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000,
>StrePla, and et al
>
> Ben

I believe the Vertica V2 and the new GliderGuider both use the SIRF Star
III GPS chipset whereas the Oudie uses the SIRF Atlas-V chipset. The
Atlas has the track smoothing issues which meant the BGA in the UK
dropped the Oudie as an approved position recorder. Of course if you
feed any of these with external GPS NMEA data that is irrelevant.

From various web searches it looks like the hardware for the Vertica
V2, the GLiderGuider and the Oudie may well all come from the same
Korean firm ODHitec. This company make all sorts of Sunlight readable
LCD kit.

http://www.alibaba.com/member/kr118371827.html

I often wondered where the name Oudie came from, maybe if Navitar source
from a company whose name starts with OD...

I've seen the GliderGuider in strong sunlight and it is very clear so as
the Vertica V2 seems to be the same unit I'm sure that would be great as
well.

cheers,

--

Nick Hill

September 26th 12, 12:41 PM
On Tuesday, 25 September 2012 22:33:38 UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?
>

> http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/
>

> Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000, StrePla, and et al
>

> Ben

hello
I saw the Nexus 7 in bright sun, it is readable in the sun. And the most affordable at 259$.Any comment?
Gilles

pcool
September 26th 12, 01:15 PM
It is readable? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0mHbfGylY
It doesnt look so readable.

wrote in message

On Tuesday, 25 September 2012 22:33:38 UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?
>

> http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/
>

> Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If
> so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000,
> StrePla, and et al
>

> Ben

hello
I saw the Nexus 7 in bright sun, it is readable in the sun. And the most
affordable at 259$.Any comment?
Gilles

cernauta
September 26th 12, 02:52 PM
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 19:33:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000, StrePla, and et al
>
>Ben

I can't compare it with Oudie2, as I haven't seen one in flight.

As the owner of a clone of the V2, I can say that I was really
surprised by the readability in full sunlight. I started using full
100% backlight, then found that even 40% was enough for flying a
competition in bright Rieti's sky.

a real step forward, maybe a jump, from previous systems.

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

Vaughn
September 26th 12, 03:53 PM
On 9/26/2012 7:41 AM, wrote:

> I saw the Nexus 7 in bright sun, it is readable in the sun. And the most affordable at 259$.Any comment?

The price of the Nexus7 is certainly right. The sunlight readability is
nothing special in my opinion, about the same as an Ipad.

It does have a very adequate built in GPS, which my Ipad lacks.

Tim Mara
September 26th 12, 08:19 PM
please see my website page :
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/seeyou_oudie_flywithce_pdapna.htm

The Vertica V2 is the same as the device I offer from the same manufacturer,
the V2 vertica name is simply dealers brand name added.
I didn't elect to come up with a fancy or catchy name for the device but
they are the same and are as advertized, appear to be at the very least
equal to the newest Oudie but without software liciense.They will operate
SYM or XC/Soar, LK8000 or any other navigation software designed for the PNA
type devices but with far better screen presentation that previous PDA,PNA
devices at far lower cost than the full navigation variometers systems from
the major players in the glider navigation/flight computer makers.
Obviously I offer these as well as choices in nearly everything in between
as well...all good choices, just depends on what the end user really wants
and wants to pay.
best regards
Tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

> wrote in message
> Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?
>
> http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/
>
> Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If
> so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000,
> StrePla, and et al
>
> Ben

Tim Mara
September 26th 12, 08:23 PM
that device is in no way even close to the SUNLIGHT READABLE 5" GPS
Navigation Device I offer here
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/seeyou_oudie_flywithce_pdapna.htm
tim

"pcool" > wrote in message
> It is readable? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0mHbfGylY
> It doesnt look so readable.
>
> wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, 25 September 2012 22:33:38 UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
>> Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?
>>

>> http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/
>>

>> Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If
>> so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000,
>> StrePla, and et al
>>

>> Ben
>
> hello
> I saw the Nexus 7 in bright sun, it is readable in the sun. And the most
> affordable at 259$.Any comment?
> Gilles

noel.wade
September 27th 12, 12:03 AM
Ben (and others) -

I bought the "V1" version of this device early this year and LOVE it.
I stopped using my old iPAQ hx4700's and use the Vertica exclusively.
Its super-readable in sunlight and runs LK8000 very well. I used that
combination successfully at both the Region 8 contest and the US
Nationals at Montague, CA.

The only downside to the Vertica (and indeed *all* of the new bright-
screen devices) is battery-life. I highly recommend wiring your PNA
up for ship's power and/or getting an external/extended battery pack.

Also, the V1's GPS was OK; but nothing special (like most PNAs).
Purpose-built Loggers (such as an EW MicroRecorder or LX Nano) will
provide a more-accurate position fix than almost all of the built-in
GPS chips on any PDA/PNA. So if you are willing to run an extra cable
or two, I recommend piping your logger's GPS data to the PNA.

--Noel

pcool
September 27th 12, 12:24 AM
Having the "V1" and "V2", and Holux 61CS, for the purpose of testing , let
me add that also the Holux 61CS is good as the V2 under sunlight.
In fact at my club some people bought 61, some V1, some V2. They are all
equivalent under sunlight.

The very best device I have seen so far is the LX MiniMap II , which also
offers full integrated and supported buttons, rotary switches etc. , at a
different price of course. Got that one also, for development, so I could
compare.

"noel.wade" wrote in message

[...]

September 27th 12, 12:38 AM
On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:53:48 AM UTC-7, Vaughn wrote:
> On 9/26/2012 7:41 AM, flymsc1 wrote: > I saw the Nexus 7 in bright sun, it is readable in the sun. And the most affordable at 259$.Any comment? The price of the Nexus7 is certainly right. The sunlight readability is nothing special in my opinion, about the same as an Ipad. It does have a very adequate built in GPS, which my Ipad lacks.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the battery on the Nexus 7. Starting from full charge, I've done 5 to 6 hour flights with no external power whatsover and it still have quite a bit of juice left upon landing(20 to 30%). You can get even more if you hit the side button during flight to quiet the display. Or of course power it externally through the USB jack.

This is of course the advantage of having application processor with a true mobile silicon power architecture done in 40nm.

noel.wade
September 27th 12, 01:12 AM
On Sep 26, 4:38*pm, wrote:
> I've been pleasantly surprised with the battery on the Nexus 7. *Starting from full charge, I've done 5 to 6 hour flights with no

There's nothing wrong with the Nexus 7; but remember that it is an
Android operating system, and a LOT of people still use soaring
applications that are based on WinCE/Windows Mobile (since most of the
programs out there are only capable of running under that OS).

--Noel

waremark
September 27th 12, 01:30 AM
On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:33:38 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?
>

> http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/
>

> Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000, StrePla, and et al
>

> Ben

I have had an Oudie for 2 years and it is very good. The 5 inch screen in a compact physical unit is an enormous advantage to me compared to previous 4 inch and 4.3 inch screens, and I appreciate having an internal gps both as backup and for use in other gliders. My unit has two disadvantages - the dim screen (though no worse than most other PDA's/PNA's pre 2012) and the track smoothing problem which reduces the accuracy of wind calculations and therefore final glide when using the internal gps.

In view of the track smoothing problem I decided not to pay for the Oudie to be upgraded to the newer bright screen, but instead to buy one of the new devices which has both brighter screen and no track smoothing problem. I bought the GliderGuider. (The GG website shows that the internal GPS achieves exactly the same result when thermalling as an EW Microrecorder). This seems excellent, and very good value. The unit plus a SeeYou Mobile licence is less than an Oudie, and if you use the free LK8000 or XCSoar programs it is about half the price. The Oudie still has advantages going for it. It comes pre-loaded with worldwide maps on the internal memory, requiring no user setup, it can switch automatically from an external data source to the internal gps if the external source fails (the non-Oudie version of SYM as used on the GliderGuider cannot do this, though other software may be able to), it comes complete with interface cables etc, and it has the support of a committed and responsive commercial organisation.

waremark
September 27th 12, 01:35 AM
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:12:09 AM UTC+1, noel.wade wrote:
> On Sep 26, 4:38*pm, wrote:
>
> > I've been pleasantly surprised with the battery on the Nexus 7. *Starting from full charge, I've done 5 to 6 hour flights with no
>

> There's nothing wrong with the Nexus 7; but remember that it is an
>
> Android operating system, and a LOT of people still use soaring
>
> applications that are based on WinCE/Windows Mobile (since most of the
>
> programs out there are only capable of running under that OS).
>

> --Noel

I don't think I could find room for a 7 inch screen in my cockpit. A 5 inch very bright screen seems like the optimum to me (or maybe a 5.6 inch screen as on the LX9000 - but then your panel has to be designed around it!).

I am hoping that Father Christmas will bring me a Nexus 7, but I am not planning to use it in the cockpit.

October 7th 12, 03:07 PM
On Wednesday, 26 September 2012 03:33:38 UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the Vertica V2?
>

> http://www.verticasports.com/shop/v2-flight-instrument/
>

> Wonder if it exactly the same as the new Oudie with the bright screen. If so it certainly will help interest in WinPilot Pro,XCSoar, LX8000, StrePla, and et al
>

> Ben

The GliderGuider is based on the same hardware as the V2, but has a much nicer User Interface, particularly for those converting from a iPAQ. It comes with a selection of Moving Map software pre-installed, including maps, airspace and waypoint files. The supplier also offeres a purpose made interface cable via which to connect a variety of external devices including Vario, Loggers and FLARM units.

See www.gliderguider.net for (much) more info!

Kind regards
Allan

Google