PDA

View Full Version : 2012 SSA rule survey

September 26th 12, 09:54 PM
Dear current SSA Contest Committee:

Kudos to the rules committee for dealing with a very difficult and thankless task. Your service is appreciated.

The "drive engine" of any racing is all about being better than your fellow competitors. Sad to say but very true, some will go to any length to be the better. Thankfully, our SSA competition rules attempt to hold USA sailplane racing in check.

Much of the 2012 rule survey addresses the use of technology such as radios, AHRS, Flarms, and cell phone capabilities available both now and to come.

So, as always, it becomes an issue of how one’s integrity chooses to use a tool. ARHS is a very complex issue…used correctly it is a life saver; used incorrectly it is cheating and quite possibly a life taker. Regardless of which way it is used, other than scrutineering a sailplane and patting down the pilot just before launch, how is the SSA going to control its use? And least forget, is the SSA willing to defend the liability of “outlawing” a universally proven safety technology such as AHRS?

I opine the SSA will not succeed in suppressing technology and therefore sailplane racing rules should not be encumbered with unenforceable rules or a structure pushing the burden of “ground” volunteers closer to ending any interest or effort. Many say that point has already passed and IMHO, recent contests prove this true.

May your soaring flights be safe.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
September 26th 12, 10:33 PM
On 9/26/2012 1:54 PM, wrote:
> And least forget, is the SSA willing to defend the liability of
> “outlawing” a universally proven safety technology such as AHRS?

Where is the evidence that gliders equipped with AHRS are safer? I don't
think that could even be proven for GA airplanes, given the number of
crashes from flight into IMC in airplanes equipped with AHRS.

Could the SSA be sued for NOT requiring these devices?

Until we hear from lawyers with experience in this situation, I think we
ought to stick with talking about what we know, and stop trying to scare
people with shadowy liability issues. There are plenty of real, know,
liability issues to worry about, anyway.

Seriously, your danger in a contest is not from getting sucked into a
cloud, but colliding with another glider, or you colliding with the ground.

email me)

Andrzej Kobus
September 26th 12, 11:43 PM
Let's just vote; that is what people asked for and that is what they
got.

Google