PDA

View Full Version : TSA (Totally Stupid Agency) fails again

Jeb
January 14th 04, 06:39 PM
http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html

Paul Tomblin
January 14th 04, 06:54 PM
In a previous article, (Jeb) said:
>http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html

I just flew to Newark and back this weekend (commercial) and when packing
discovered a package of firecrackers that have been in the bag on two
commercial trips and not been discovered on either swab test. On the way
back, the screeners discovered my BuckTool (like a Leatherman, it's a
folding multi-tool with two 7-8 cm long knife blades) that I'd totally
forgotten about and which had been in my bum bag on the trip out.

Fortunately Newark Airport has a Staples so I bought an envelope and some
stamps and mailed it back to myself.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
With M$, as far as I'm aware, the stupidity comes bundled with

C J Campbell
January 14th 04, 07:21 PM
"Jeb" > wrote in message
om...
| http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html

At first I thought Homeland Security was an Illuminati plot, but things like
this are beginning to make me think that TSA is actually run by Discordians
masquerading as Illuminati.

Judah
January 14th 04, 07:34 PM
Actually, I think I like that article A LOT...

BALPA 1 TSA 0

Gotta love it.

"Obviously there will be a lot of questions asked in America as to how he
got on the plane undetected."

"Screening of passengers at Washington Dulles airport is the responsibility
of the Transportation Security Administration."

Hahahah!

(Jeb) wrote in
om:

> http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html

G.R. Patterson III
January 14th 04, 11:33 PM
Jeb wrote:

> http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/index.html

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Ardna
January 15th 04, 06:15 AM
What I don't understand is why the websites of the major news organizations
in the US don't believe it is worth reporting, after all, the Sudanese man
( there should have been alarm number one there ) boarded the plane in D.C.
after all the hype about improved security.

A.

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Jeb wrote:
> >
> > http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html
>
> http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/index.html
>
> George Patterson
> Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is
> "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Ash Wyllie
January 15th 04, 01:30 PM
Paul Tomblin opined

>In a previous article, (Jeb) said:
>>http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html

>I just flew to Newark and back this weekend (commercial) and when packing
>discovered a package of firecrackers that have been in the bag on two
>commercial trips and not been discovered on either swab test. On the way
>back, the screeners discovered my BuckTool (like a Leatherman, it's a
>folding multi-tool with two 7-8 cm long knife blades) that I'd totally
>forgotten about and which had been in my bum bag on the trip out.

>Fortunately Newark Airport has a Staples so I bought an envelope and some
>stamps and mailed it back to myself.

The TSA could buy a lot of good will, and make some money by having envelopes
at the security sites, and sending Leathermen and other tools along with the
passenger in a secure part of the airplane. Or mailing them home.

-ash
for assistance dial MYCROFTXXX

Jeb
January 15th 04, 01:55 PM
"Ardna" > wrote in message news:<qeqNb.16511$Ar1.13170@fed1read04>...
> What I don't understand is why the websites of the major news organizations
> in the US don't believe it is worth reporting, after all, the Sudanese man
> ( there should have been alarm number one there ) boarded the plane in D.C.
> after all the hype about improved security.

They have been nobbled by the government to not broadcast criticism of
US security. Imagine if this got out, no one would fly.

> > Jeb wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.itv.com/news/7878.html
> >
> > http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/index.html
> >
> > George Patterson
> > Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
> said is
> > "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Brien K. Meehan
January 15th 04, 03:22 PM
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message >...
> I just flew to Newark and back this weekend (commercial) and when packing
> discovered a package of firecrackers that have been in the bag on two
> commercial trips and not been discovered on either swab test. On the way
> back, the screeners discovered my BuckTool (like a Leatherman, it's a
> folding multi-tool with two 7-8 cm long knife blades) that I'd totally
> forgotten about and which had been in my bum bag on the trip out.

Are you always unaware of the contents of your luggage?

Brien K. Meehan
January 15th 04, 03:27 PM
Judah > wrote in message >...
> Actually, I think I like that article A LOT...
>
> BALPA 1 TSA 0
>
> Gotta love it.
> Hahahah!

Wow, that's quite a lot of joy about a potentially deadly situation.
It reminds me of footage of people dancing in the streets a while
back...

So, are you advocating airport security breaches, or just a fan?

Brien K. Meehan
January 15th 04, 03:35 PM
It's, umm, "cute" that the unnamed union spokesman managed to twist
some logic and blame this incident on sky marshals.

The fact is, every security system can fail. Ironcially, if the
passenger intended to do harm, a sky marshal may have been the
flight's (and any other target's) last hope of survival.

Paul Tomblin
January 15th 04, 03:44 PM
In a previous article, (Brien K. Meehan) said:
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message
>> I just flew to Newark and back this weekend (commercial) and when packing
>> discovered a package of firecrackers that have been in the bag on two
>> commercial trips and not been discovered on either swab test. On the way
>> back, the screeners discovered my BuckTool (like a Leatherman, it's a
>> folding multi-tool with two 7-8 cm long knife blades) that I'd totally
>> forgotten about and which had been in my bum bag on the trip out.
>
>Are you always unaware of the contents of your luggage?

If you spent every other weekend in a hotel room in another country,
usually travelling by car or private plane, you, like me, would probably
pack a bag with essentials (tooth brush, comb, ibuprophen, mag light,
porn) and just swap out clothes as needed. If you did so, eventually
after several years, it would accumulate things you'd forgetten were
there.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Man in the tower, this is the man in the bird, I'm ready to go, so give me

Jeb
January 15th 04, 06:19 PM
(Brien K. Meehan) wrote in message >...
> It's, umm, "cute" that the unnamed union spokesman managed to twist
> some logic and blame this incident on sky marshals.
>
> The fact is, every security system can fail. Ironcially, if the
> passenger intended to do harm, a sky marshal may have been the
> flight's (and any other target's) last hope of survival.

And if the Sky marshal failed then we would have to rely on armed
pilots gunslinging down the plane.

Funny this is I was alway tought was that the first priority of the
pilot was to fly the plane.

Now wit seems that being Roy Rogers is OK

Brien K. Meehan
January 15th 04, 08:19 PM
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message >...
> If you did so, eventually
> after several years, it would accumulate things you'd forgetten were
> there.

No, as a matter of fact, it wouldn't.

As a vigilant and law-abiding citizen, concerned with my own safety
and the safety and convenience of others, I don't take items aboard
any aircraft unless I specifically intend to take them aboard.

This is true for most people. We take airport security seriously and
act accordingly. Don't project your own negligence on us.

Judah
January 15th 04, 09:15 PM
(Brien K. Meehan) wrote in
m:

> Judah > wrote in message
>> Actually, I think I like that article A LOT...
>>
>> BALPA 1 TSA 0
>>
>> Gotta love it.
>> Hahahah!
>
> Wow, that's quite a lot of joy about a potentially deadly situation.
> It reminds me of footage of people dancing in the streets a while
> back...

I don't understand your comparison.

First, no one died. Instead, a man was able to carry ammunition through a
TSA controlled security gate at DULLES (not some midwestern jetport, but
the airport at our Nation's Capitol!) When he arrived at Heathrow (not
generally known for it's security, and not having the "benefit" of being
controlled by the TSA) the ammunition was found and he was arrested.

So while the US walks around jumping up and down cancelling flights
because of misinformation and X-Raying the shoes of children and old
ladies, the TRUTH is that the TSA is ineffective, and the majority of the
security process at airports is a farce.

So why do I find this amusing? Well, first of all, because many of us
knew this a long time ago. The reason that another jetliner has not been
crashed into another national monument has very little to do with the
fact that I show my driver's license to the gate agent when I get on the
plane, or any of the other security bull**** that goes on now.

It is also pleasing because some of us still have a glimmer of a hope
that this country will wake up and stop abdicating civil rights in the
name of protection from "potentially deadly situations."

True, every flight is a potential deadly situation. So is every car ride,
and so is every time you cross the street. Many people die in their
sleep, so it would seem that sleeping represents a potential deadly
situation. How far does it go?

Life is a risk. There is no such thing as security. The only thing that
you can guarantee in life is death. You can choose how to live your life
- cowering in fear from every possible threat, or enjoying it like every
day is your last. I prefer something in between. But I also prefer to be
allowed to make that choice. When the government imposes upon the
people's civil rights in the name of "protecting us from potentially
deadly situations," it is disturbing to me.

It should be disturbing to you too.

But the bottom line is this: my joy comes because an innocent American
man who did not hurt anyone nor had any intention to hurt anyone was free
to get on an airplane and fly to London without being harassed or
arrested. It saddens me that our European neighbors did not allow him to
excercise those same American freedoms in their country.

> So, are you advocating airport security breaches, or just a fan?

So, do you think that terrorists could never figure out a way around the
TSA, or that TSA workers will never make a mistake, or are you just
gullible or delusional?

G.R. Patterson III
January 15th 04, 09:57 PM
Jeb wrote:

> Funny this is I was alway tought was that the first priority of the
> pilot was to fly the plane.

The first priority of the pilot has always been to get the plane to the destination
with everyone on it alive.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Paul Tomblin
January 15th 04, 10:06 PM
In a previous article, "Ash Wyllie" > said:
>Paul Tomblin opined
>>back, the screeners discovered my BuckTool (like a Leatherman, it's a
>>folding multi-tool with two 7-8 cm long knife blades) that I'd totally
>>forgotten about and which had been in my bum bag on the trip out.
>
>>Fortunately Newark Airport has a Staples so I bought an envelope and some
>>stamps and mailed it back to myself.
>
>The TSA could buy a lot of good will, and make some money by having envelopes
>at the security sites, and sending Leathermen and other tools along with the
>passenger in a secure part of the airplane. Or mailing them home.

I'm not going to fault the TSA screeners at Newark. Not only did they
find the Bucktool that I'd stupidly left in my carry-on bag (I'd
remembered to put it in checked every other time I've flown commercial
except the flight out) but it was the TSA screener who suggested the
Staples store solution and who walked me over to the mail box after I
bought the envelope and stamps.

I will fault the Rochester NY screeners for not spotting the Bucktool on
the way out. *That* is why I don't think the TSA is making us much safer.

No, what is making us safer is the will of people like you and me who say
"If somebody tries to take over this plane, I'm going to kill him or die
trying." I say that to myself every time I get on a commercial plane.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
As convenient as it is for information to come to us, libraries do have a

Tom Sixkiller
January 15th 04, 10:47 PM
"Jeb" > wrote in message
om...
> (Brien K. Meehan) wrote in message
> > It's, umm, "cute" that the unnamed union spokesman managed to twist
> > some logic and blame this incident on sky marshals.
> >
> > The fact is, every security system can fail. Ironcially, if the
> > passenger intended to do harm, a sky marshal may have been the
> > flight's (and any other target's) last hope of survival.
>
> And if the Sky marshal failed then we would have to rely on armed
> pilots gunslinging down the plane.
>
> Funny this is I was alway tought was that the first priority of the
> pilot was to fly the plane.

First...not ONLY.

> Now wit seems that being Roy Rogers is OK

And the captain of a ship...?

Brien K. Meehan
January 16th 04, 08:33 AM
Judah > wrote in message >...
> I don't understand your comparison.

The rest of your post implies that you do. Regardless, it just
reminded me of a group.

> So while the US walks around jumping up and down cancelling flights
> because of misinformation and X-Raying the shoes of children and old
> ladies, the TRUTH is that the TSA is ineffective, and the majority of the
> security process at airports is a farce.

That's an interesting speculation. One could just as easily speculate
that the cancellations were based on accurate information, random
screening is effective, and the TSA has prevented thousands of
terrorist acts.

Some groups of people speculate this way, and some groups speculate
that way.

> It is also pleasing because some of us still have a glimmer of a hope
> that this country will wake up and stop abdicating civil rights in the
> name of protection from "potentially deadly situations."

Hmm, this reminds me of footage I saw of a group of people encouraging
this country to "think" and "wake up."

> The only thing that you can guarantee in life is death.

Is this a threat?

> When the government imposes upon the
> people's civil rights in the name of "protecting us from potentially
> deadly situations," it is disturbing to me.

So change it.

> It should be disturbing to you too.

I'll decide what's disturbing to me, thank you.

I find other behavior much more disturbing.

> But the bottom line is this: my joy comes because an innocent American
> man who did not hurt anyone nor had any intention to hurt anyone was free
> to get on an airplane and fly to London without being harassed or
> arrested.

That's an interesting speculation. One could just as easily speculate
that this passenger was performing reconaissance for his terrorist
cell, trying to determine the amount of ammuniton he could
successfully smuggle aboard an aircraft.

Some groups of people speculate this way, and some groups speculate
that way.

> So, do you think that terrorists could never figure out a way around the
> TSA, or that TSA workers will never make a mistake, or are you just
> gullible or delusional?

If I were either one, I wouldn't realize it.

There are lots of people in the world, taught to blindly hate and
destroy, believing that they're actually doing good, "fighting" for
what's "right." I don't think these people realize that they're
gullible or deluded, but I don't think I'm in that group.

Brien K. Meehan
January 16th 04, 08:35 AM
(Jeb) wrote in message >...
..
> > It's, umm, "cute" that the unnamed union spokesman managed to twist
> > some logic and blame this incident on sky marshals.

> Now wit seems that being Roy Rogers is OK

It's, umm, "cute" that this unnamed person managed to twist some logic
and blame this incident on Roy Rogers.

Harry Gordon
January 16th 04, 02:05 PM

> The TSA could buy a lot of good will, and make some money by having
envelopes
> at the security sites, and sending Leathermen and other tools along with
the
> passenger in a secure part of the airplane. Or mailing them home.

San Antonio (SAT) has that available. I don't know if the TSA organized it
or the airport managment.

Harry
PP-ASEL

James Robinson
January 16th 04, 05:38 PM
Harry Gordon wrote:

> > The TSA could buy a lot of good will, and make some money by having
> > envelopes at the security sites, and sending Leathermen and other
> > tools along with the passenger in a secure part of the airplane.
> > Or mailing them home.
> >

> San Antonio (SAT) has that available. I don't know if the TSA organized it
> or the airport managment.

If it's like some other airports, a private operator convinced the TSA
to allow them to set up the envelopes and a mailbox near the inspection
areas. You pay a flat rate with a credit card, and the envelope is sent
Priority Post.

Prior to this service, the TSA wouldn't even let people return to the
ticket counter to check the forbidden object, or to go to a post office,
if there was one in the terminal. The TSA simply said if they find
something restricted, they keep it. You bet people were ****ed off when
they would confiscate a $80 Leatherman.

Jeb
January 16th 04, 06:08 PM
(Brien K. Meehan) wrote in message >...
> (Jeb) wrote in message >...
> .
> > > It's, umm, "cute" that the unnamed union spokesman managed to twist
> > > some logic and blame this incident on sky marshals.
>
> > Now wit seems that being Roy Rogers is OK
>
> It's, umm, "cute" that this unnamed person managed to twist some logic
> and blame this incident on Roy Rogers.

Maybe I meant the Lone Ranger

Jeb
January 16th 04, 06:41 PM
(Brien K. Meehan) wrote in message >...
> (Jeb) wrote in message >...
> .
> > > It's, umm, "cute" that the unnamed union spokesman managed to twist
> > > some logic and blame this incident on sky marshals.
>
> > Now wit seems that being Roy Rogers is OK
>
> It's, umm, "cute" that this unnamed person managed to twist some logic
> and blame this incident on Roy Rogers.

It's, umm, "cute" that this person managed to twist some logic
and blame this incident on someone blaming Roy Rogers.

Darren Johnson
January 16th 04, 07:54 PM
(Brien K. Meehan) wrote in message >...

> Wow, that's quite a lot of joy about a potentially deadly situation.

I am just wondering what the potentially deadly situation was? Were
the bullets going to jump out and attack someone? Maybe he was going
to put them in his shoe and set it on fire?

> So, are you advocating airport security breaches, or just a fan?

I'm a fan, thanks for asking. Are you someone that thinks we are
safer flying now that the TSA is in charge, or just a fan of the pat
down? Sorry some of us noticed that the same minimum wage slaves are
manning the checkpoints doing the same half-assed job. I am a fan of
anything that points out how wasted these efforts are, not to mention
how much (of our) money the feds are wasting. Luckily the Gestapo has
people like you to spout their party line because most intelligent
people have stopped believing it when it comes from their mouth.

Brien K. Meehan
January 17th 04, 02:00 AM
(Darren Johnson) wrote in message >...
> I am just wondering what the potentially deadly situation was? Were
> the bullets going to jump out and attack someone? Maybe he was going
> to put them in his shoe and set it on fire?

Interesting speculations. Have these things been known to happen? Do
you believe these events are likely?

Maybe he was going to put them in a gun and fire it at someone. This
has been known to happen with bullets, but I'm also speculating.

> I'm a fan, thanks for asking.

Thank you.

Do you condone criminal behavior in general, or just that which could
be related to terrorism? If the latter, do you advocate terrorism in
general, or terrorism targeted towards people in the United States?

> Luckily the Gestapo has
> people like you to spout their party line because most intelligent
> people have stopped believing it when it comes from their mouth.

Hmm. I haven't spouted any party line, but you just did, literatum.

Judah
January 17th 04, 02:17 PM
(Brien K. Meehan) wrote in
om:

> Judah > wrote in message
<snip>
>> So while the US walks around jumping up and down cancelling flights
>> because of misinformation and X-Raying the shoes of children and old
>> ladies, the TRUTH is that the TSA is ineffective, and the majority of
>> the security process at airports is a farce.
>
> That's an interesting speculation. One could just as easily speculate
> that the cancellations were based on accurate information, random
> screening is effective, and the TSA has prevented thousands of
> terrorist acts.

So you mean to imply that if the TSA cancelled a flight with a terrorist
aboard, it would put such a dent in the terrorists plans and capabilities
that he would not try it again? Wow! I didn't realize just how demoralized
these terrorists are!

> Some groups of people speculate this way, and some groups speculate
> that way.

What group are you with?

>> It is also pleasing because some of us still have a glimmer of a hope
>> that this country will wake up and stop abdicating civil rights in the
>> name of protection from "potentially deadly situations."
>
> Hmm, this reminds me of footage I saw of a group of people encouraging
> this country to "think" and "wake up."

Huh?

>> The only thing that you can guarantee in life is death.
>
> Is this a threat?

What?!?!? It is a simple fact. Regardless of your preference, humans do not
currently live forever. I wonder what made you interpret this simple fact
as a threat, though. I suspect you are so terrorized by the media that even
the mention of the word death scares you into feeling personally
threatened. I feel very sorry for you.

>> When the government imposes upon the
>> people's civil rights in the name of "protecting us from potentially
>> deadly situations," it is disturbing to me.
>
> So change it.

I'm trying. But there are still many people like yourself who feel so
vulnerable and threatened by the media hype and scare tactics, that they
believe civil rights are not the issue. They would rather cower in a corner
and let the government "protect" them from some amorphous enemy. They are
totally terrorized. Not by the actions of some Arabic underground or some
midwestern-based American Militia group. They are terrorized by the fact
that every day they see reports on TV telling them about every possible
point of vulnerability that exists in their own neighborhood. They don't
remember that there are more people struck by lightning each year in the US
than are killed by terrorist attacks. And that they still also have a
better chance at being hit by a drunk driver as they walk on the sidewalk
than either of those. They would give up anything to protect themselves
from a chance of death, but won't do anything to protect their freedom, to
protect their life.

>> But the bottom line is this: my joy comes because an innocent American
>> man who did not hurt anyone nor had any intention to hurt anyone was
>> free to get on an airplane and fly to London without being harassed or
>> arrested.
>
> That's an interesting speculation. One could just as easily speculate
> that this passenger was performing reconaissance for his terrorist
> cell, trying to determine the amount of ammuniton he could
> successfully smuggle aboard an aircraft.

Perhaps 300 terrorist passengers will board a 747, each carrying a single
bullet. During the flight, they will empty all of the powder from the 300
bullets into a coke can, seal it, and blow the whole plane up in the
biggest suicide bombing of the century! Get real!

Do you know when the idea of hijacking a plane and flying it into New York
was first 'published'? On April 27, 1999, it was presented by the media as
the plan of two kids from Columbine High School.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V119/N22/littleton.22w.html
http://www.jsonline.com/news/apr99/0427plot.asp

So let the media keep feeding ideas to your terrorists...

> Some groups of people speculate this way, and some groups speculate
> that way.

What is the name of your group again?

>> So, do you think that terrorists could never figure out a way around
>> the TSA, or that TSA workers will never make a mistake, or are you
>> just gullible or delusional?
>
> If I were either one, I wouldn't realize it.
>
> There are lots of people in the world, taught to blindly hate and
> destroy, believing that they're actually doing good, "fighting" for
> what's "right." I don't think these people realize that they're
> gullible or deluded, but I don't think I'm in that group.

The gullible and deluded ones think that the terrorists are somewhere in
the Middle East planning to bomb their local little-town bank, civic
center, or power plant for the sake of their political freedom. They don't
realize that today's terrorists have a very specific goal of increasing
their position of money and power. They live and work right here in the US,
in places like Rockefeller Center and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Darren Johnson
January 17th 04, 05:18 PM
(Brien K. Meehan) wrote in message >...
> (Darren Johnson) wrote in message >...
> > I am just wondering what the potentially deadly situation was? Were
> > the bullets going to jump out and attack someone? Maybe he was going
> > to put them in his shoe and set it on fire?
>
> Interesting speculations. Have these things been known to happen? Do
> you believe these events are likely?

About as likely as you answering a question in a clear manor.

> Maybe he was going to put them in a gun and fire it at someone. This
> has been known to happen with bullets, but I'm also speculating.

Well since you seem to have ignored the question I'll try using
smaller words for you, what was the "potentially deadly situation"?
That he might shoot someone in the future?

> > I'm a fan, thanks for asking.

> Thank you.
>
> Do you condone criminal behavior in general, or just that which could
> be related to terrorism? If the latter, do you advocate terrorism in
> general, or terrorism targeted towards people in the United States?

What I do condone is mocking idiot regulations and pointing out their
lack of effect. But I guess I shouldn't enjoy watching little holes
be poked into your delusional sense of security. As for terrorism, no
I don't condone it at all, but I would rather there was a terrorist on
every corner than give up any of our civil liberties in the name of
safety. History has already shown that giving them up doesn't result
in anyone being any safer.

> > Luckily the Gestapo has
> > people like you to spout their party line because most intelligent
> > people have stopped believing it when it comes from their mouth.
>
> Hmm. I haven't spouted any party line, but you just did, literatum.

Wow, so brainwashed you probably think you have your own ideas too,
don't you? Don't worry the government will tell you what to think
next week too.

But maybe I still remember what question everything means.

G.R. Patterson III
January 17th 04, 10:00 PM
"Brien K. Meehan" wrote:

> (Darren Johnson) wrote in message >...
> > I am just wondering what the potentially deadly situation was? Were
> > the bullets going to jump out and attack someone? Maybe he was going
> > to put them in his shoe and set it on fire?
>
> Interesting speculations. Have these things been known to happen? Do
> you believe these events are likely?
>
> Maybe he was going to put them in a gun and fire it at someone.

Well, if he gets a gun, then we might have a problem. Until then, what's the
potentially deadly situation? I've not seen a gun shop at an airport yet, but
I could've missed one.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Ash Wyllie
January 17th 04, 10:02 PM
Saryon opined

>On 15 Jan 04 08:30:59 -0500, "Ash Wyllie" > wrote:

>>Paul Tomblin opined

>>>I just flew to Newark and back this weekend (commercial) and when packing
>>>discovered a package of firecrackers that have been in the bag on two
>>>commercial trips and not been discovered on either swab test. On the way
>>>back, the screeners discovered my BuckTool (like a Leatherman, it's a
>>>folding multi-tool with two 7-8 cm long knife blades) that I'd totally
>>>forgotten about and which had been in my bum bag on the trip out.
>>
>>>Fortunately Newark Airport has a Staples so I bought an envelope and some
>>>stamps and mailed it back to myself.
>>
>>The TSA could buy a lot of good will, and make some money by having
>>envelopes at the security sites, and sending Leathermen and other tools
>>along with the passenger in a secure part of the airplane. Or mailing them
>>home.

>Well, at least in KBOS they have an area set up where for $10 you get
>an envelope and can mail back whatever they were about to take.....
>Would have more good will if they paid for it, but at least it's
>better than "gone foever"....

I heard the TSA is changing its policy to allow people who trip alarms to
leave the security area and straighten out any problems, and then retry the
gauntlet.

-ash
for assistance dial MYCROFTXXX

Jeb
January 18th 04, 02:18 PM
"Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message >...
> Saryon opined
>
> >On 15 Jan 04 08:30:59 -0500, "Ash Wyllie" > wrote:
>
> >>Paul Tomblin opined

> >>The TSA could buy a lot of good will, and make some money by having
> >>envelopes at the security sites, and sending Leathermen and other tools
> >>along with the passenger in a secure part of the airplane. Or mailing them
> >>home.
>
> >Well, at least in KBOS they have an area set up where for $10 you get
> >an envelope and can mail back whatever they were about to take.....
> >Would have more good will if they paid for it, but at least it's
> >better than "gone foever"....
>
> I heard the TSA is changing its policy to allow people who trip alarms to
> leave the security area and straighten out any problems, and then retry the
> gauntlet.

Thats a great idea and I am sure terrorists will be thankful that if
the trip the alarms they can go somewhere and straighten themselves
out! This is the most ludicrous thing I have heard.

Why dont passengers engage their mind when travelling and ensure that
their luggage is not going to cause any problems. There has been
enough publicity now and anyone stupid enough to be taking material
through to the security position deseves to spend a couple of hours in
the slammer and missing their flight for being to selfish, too
arrogant and too stupid.

It is a real ****er to get stuck in the line behind somene who sets
the bells off especially when its not necessary.

Signs everywhere saying put mobiles in the hand luggage and what do
they do, leave the mobile on the hip and it sets the walkthrough
scanner off. There are some dumb people who fly. These dumbasses make
it easy for the terrorist because they cause so many false alarms.

Just a ****ed off point of view from a ****ed off traveller. Maybe in
20 years people will eventually find the plot and do it right.

Judah
January 18th 04, 07:48 PM
I got a better idea... Let's just shoot them on the spot! They're probably
mostly terrorists anyway!

Geez!

(Jeb) wrote in
om:

> "Ash Wyllie" > wrote in message
>
> Thats a great idea and I am sure terrorists will be thankful that if
> the trip the alarms they can go somewhere and straighten themselves
> out! This is the most ludicrous thing I have heard.
>
> Why dont passengers engage their mind when travelling and ensure that
> their luggage is not going to cause any problems. There has been
> enough publicity now and anyone stupid enough to be taking material
> through to the security position deseves to spend a couple of hours in
> the slammer and missing their flight for being to selfish, too
> arrogant and too stupid.
>
> It is a real ****er to get stuck in the line behind somene who sets
> the bells off especially when its not necessary.
>
> Signs everywhere saying put mobiles in the hand luggage and what do
> they do, leave the mobile on the hip and it sets the walkthrough
> scanner off. There are some dumb people who fly. These dumbasses make
> it easy for the terrorist because they cause so many false alarms.
>
> Just a ****ed off point of view from a ****ed off traveller. Maybe in
> 20 years people will eventually find the plot and do it right.

Google