PDA

View Full Version : Paso Warbirds Pt. III - 07

Savageduck[_3_]
October 3rd 12, 10:53 AM
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Indrek[_5_]
October 4th 12, 12:07 AM
"Savageduck" > wrote in message

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Thanks for posting these amazing shots.

If you don't mind my asking, what camera and lens and what post processing
did you use?

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Savageduck[_3_]
October 4th 12, 01:41 AM
On 2012-10-03 16:07:36 -0700, "Indrek" <no > said:

> "Savageduck" > wrote in message
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>
> Thanks for posting these amazing shots.
>
> If you don't mind my asking, what camera and lens and what post
> processing did you use?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Indrek Aavisto

The exif for all of those shots is intact, and I wasn't using anything
too exotic, a Nikon D300S and the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G VR. I
shot AF-C continuos, with focus point tracking. I shot around 1,100
frames and had to work through them for keepers. I am still working. ;-)

All of the shots I have cropped, made RAW adjustments in Lightroom 4,
and finished in CS5. I used NIK Define 2.0 for noise reduction, and
then made a few contrast/levels curve tweaks, added the "frame", and
saved back to lightroom.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Indrek[_5_]
October 4th 12, 01:55 AM
> On 2012-10-03 16:07:36 -0700, "Indrek" <no > said:
>

>> "Savageduck" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck
>>
>> Thanks for posting these amazing shots.
>>
>> If you don't mind my asking, what camera and lens and what post
>> processing did you use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Indrek Aavisto
>
> The exif for all of those shots is intact, and I wasn't using anything too
> exotic, a Nikon D300S and the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G VR. I shot
> AF-C continuos, with focus point tracking. I shot around 1,100 frames and
> had to work through them for keepers. I am still working. ;-)
>
> All of the shots I have cropped, made RAW adjustments in Lightroom 4, and
> finished in CS5. I used NIK Define 2.0 for noise reduction, and then made
> a few contrast/levels curve tweaks, added the "frame", and saved back to
> lightroom.
>

> -- Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Thanks for the details. I'm surprised that you only rated these pictures at
two stars. I would have said at least 4.

I have the VRII version of the 70-300 lens, but can't seem to achieve your
levels of sharpness and detail with the lens on my D7000

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Savageduck[_3_]
October 4th 12, 02:46 AM
On 2012-10-03 17:55:56 -0700, "Indrek" <no > said:

> "Savageduck" > wrote in message
>> On 2012-10-03 16:07:36 -0700, "Indrek" <no > said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks for posting these amazing shots.
>>>
>>> If you don't mind my asking, what camera and lens and what post
>>> processing did you use?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Indrek Aavisto
>>
>> The exif for all of those shots is intact, and I wasn't using anything
>> too exotic, a Nikon D300S and the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G VR. I
>> shot AF-C continuos, with focus point tracking. I shot around 1,100
>> frames and had to work through them for keepers. I am still working. ;-)
>>
>> All of the shots I have cropped, made RAW adjustments in Lightroom 4,
>> and finished in CS5. I used NIK Define 2.0 for noise reduction, and
>> then made a few contrast/levels curve tweaks, added the "frame", and
>> saved back to lightroom.
>>

>> -- Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>

> Thanks for the details. I'm surprised that you only rated these
> pictures at two stars. I would have said at least 4.

My rating in LR4 is meaningless, other than to separate the wheat from
the chaff, so I can filter the mass to workable numbers. I have rejects
flagged as rejects, I have those I am intending to work on rated with a
"star", usually from one to three, that is usually a selection made on
the fly. If there is one truly exceptional shot, which must attend to
immediately I will rate it at 4-5 "stars".
Then I second guess myself and go back to those left untouched to check
on them again, and inevitably I will find one with more potential than
others selected, and some more rejects.
So the "star" rating has nothing to do with a judgement on the final
result, just to stop me from going crazy, and have a workable number to
work on.

> I have the VRII version of the 70-300 lens, but can't seem to achieve
> your levels of sharpness and detail with the lens on my D7000

You have the same lens as I do. The current 70-300mm has the VRII
process, but is VR on the lens. I also had the prior 70-300mm D which
was non-VR. The D7000 is well matched with that lens and with the
appropriate technique, settings and practice you should get similar
results. Also, for such dynamic targets don't reject AF-C, and 3D
Tracking. Trying to make things work with a single focus point at the
speeds involved is tough. So use some of the tools built into the
camera.

I was shooting 8-20 frames per pass knowing that not all were going to
be keepers. I have found that technique is the important thing. It is
also important to find a sweet spot within the pass route. Trying to
make captures at the extremes at either end can be a gamble, and I find
that is where the highest percentage of my rejects are to be found.
One of these days I will a rent longer, faster lens for one of these
events. As I am retired, I certainly can't afford to buy, or justify
buying exotic glass, but renting for a week or two, that is something
to consider.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Indrek[_5_]
October 4th 12, 03:47 AM
> On 2012-10-03 17:55:56 -0700, "Indrek" <no > said:
>

>> "Savageduck" > wrote in message

>>> The exif for all of those shots is intact, and I wasn't using anything
>>> too exotic, a Nikon D300S and the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G VR. I
>>> shot AF-C continuos, with focus point tracking. I shot around 1,100
>>> frames and had to work through them for keepers. I am still working. ;-)
>>>
>>> All of the shots I have cropped, made RAW adjustments in Lightroom 4,
>>> and finished in CS5. I used NIK Define 2.0 for noise reduction, and then
>>> made a few contrast/levels curve tweaks, added the "frame", and saved
>>> back to lightroom.
>>>

>>> -- Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck
>>>

>> Thanks for the details. I'm surprised that you only rated these pictures
>> at two stars. I would have said at least 4.
>
> My rating in LR4 is meaningless, other than to separate the wheat from the
> chaff, so I can filter the mass to workable numbers. I have rejects
> flagged as rejects, I have those I am intending to work on rated with a
> "star", usually from one to three, that is usually a selection made on the
> fly. If there is one truly exceptional shot, which must attend to
> immediately I will rate it at 4-5 "stars".
> Then I second guess myself and go back to those left untouched to check on
> them again, and inevitably I will find one with more potential than others
> selected, and some more rejects.
> So the "star" rating has nothing to do with a judgement on the final
> result, just to stop me from going crazy, and have a workable number to
> work on.
>
>> I have the VRII version of the 70-300 lens, but can't seem to achieve
>> your levels of sharpness and detail with the lens on my D7000
>
> You have the same lens as I do. The current 70-300mm has the VRII process,
> but is VR on the lens. I also had the prior 70-300mm D which was non-VR.
> The D7000 is well matched with that lens and with the appropriate
> technique, settings and practice you should get similar results. Also, for
> such dynamic targets don't reject AF-C, and 3D Tracking. Trying to make
> things work with a single focus point at the speeds involved is tough. So
> use some of the tools built into the camera.
>
> I was shooting 8-20 frames per pass knowing that not all were going to be
> keepers. I have found that technique is the important thing. It is also
> important to find a sweet spot within the pass route. Trying to make
> captures at the extremes at either end can be a gamble, and I find that is
> where the highest percentage of my rejects are to be found.
> One of these days I will a rent longer, faster lens for one of these
> events. As I am retired, I certainly can't afford to buy, or justify
> buying exotic glass, but renting for a week or two, that is something to
> consider.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Thanks for the tips.

For aircraft and birds I usually use AFC and manual aperture and shutter
speed with auto ISO. Maybe I should experiment with 3D tracking, something I
have not tried before..

The buffer fills on my camera pretty quickly, and the most I can get is
about 6 frames per burst, shooting RAW.

Clearly I'll have to practice more to improve my technique.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Savageduck[_3_]
October 4th 12, 04:33 AM
On 2012-10-03 19:47:53 -0700, "Indrek" <no > said:

> "Savageduck" > wrote in message
>> On 2012-10-03 17:55:56 -0700, "Indrek" <no > said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the details. I'm surprised that you only rated these
>>> pictures at two stars. I would have said at least 4.
>>
>> My rating in LR4 is meaningless, other than to separate the wheat from
>> the chaff, so I can filter the mass to workable numbers. I have rejects
>> flagged as rejects, I have those I am intending to work on rated with a
>> "star", usually from one to three, that is usually a selection made on
>> the fly. If there is one truly exceptional shot, which must attend to
>> immediately I will rate it at 4-5 "stars".
>> Then I second guess myself and go back to those left untouched to check
>> on them again, and inevitably I will find one with more potential than
>> others selected, and some more rejects.
>> So the "star" rating has nothing to do with a judgement on the final
>> result, just to stop me from going crazy, and have a workable number to
>> work on.
>>
>>> I have the VRII version of the 70-300 lens, but can't seem to achieve
>>> your levels of sharpness and detail with the lens on my D7000
>>
>> You have the same lens as I do. The current 70-300mm has the VRII
>> process, but is VR on the lens. I also had the prior 70-300mm D which
>> was non-VR. The D7000 is well matched with that lens and with the
>> appropriate technique, settings and practice you should get similar
>> results. Also, for such dynamic targets don't reject AF-C, and 3D
>> Tracking. Trying to make things work with a single focus point at the
>> speeds involved is tough. So use some of the tools built into the
>> camera.
>>
>> I was shooting 8-20 frames per pass knowing that not all were going to
>> be keepers. I have found that technique is the important thing. It is
>> also important to find a sweet spot within the pass route. Trying to
>> make captures at the extremes at either end can be a gamble, and I find
>> that is where the highest percentage of my rejects are to be found.
>> One of these days I will a rent longer, faster lens for one of these
>> events. As I am retired, I certainly can't afford to buy, or justify
>> buying exotic glass, but renting for a week or two, that is something
>> to consider.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>

> Thanks for the tips.
>
> For aircraft and birds I usually use AFC and manual aperture and
> shutter speed with auto ISO. Maybe I should experiment with 3D
> tracking, something I have not tried before..

Conditions not withstanding, I shot this batch at ISO 400, the light
was good so I stopped down to f/8 aperture priority resulting in
shutter speeds ranging from 1/400-1/800 second, good enough to retain
some prop blur.

For race cars where there is variable light on the track (in and out of
shade) I might use auto ISO and restrict the range to ISO 400-1600 and
remain at "A" mode. It is tough to deal with moving targets and
changing light in manual. There are some exceptions where I will use
shutter priority. The shot of the Tyrrell P34 below was taken with the
Nikkor 18-200mm VRII on the D300S.
(sorry for the OP low flying vehicle folks :-( )

> The buffer fills on my camera pretty quickly, and the most I can get is
> about 6 frames per burst, shooting RAW.

With my D300S I have the MB-D10 battery-pack/grip which brings the
frame rate up to 9fps, and I shoot RAW only.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
October 4th 12, 05:51 AM
> [...]
> shutter speeds ranging from 1/400-1/800 second, good enough to retain
> some prop blur.
>
> For race cars where there is variable light on the track (in and out of
> shade) I might use auto ISO and restrict the range to ISO 400-1600 and
> remain at "A" mode. It is tough to deal with moving targets and
> changing light in manual. There are some exceptions where I will use
> shutter priority. The shot of the Tyrrell P34 below was taken with the
> Nikkor 18-200mm VRII on the D300S.
> (sorry for the OP low flying vehicle folks :-( )

>> The buffer fills on my camera pretty quickly, and the most I can get is
>> about 6 frames per burst, shooting RAW.
>
> With my D300S I have the MB-D10 battery-pack/grip which brings the
> frame rate up to 9fps, and I shoot RAW only.
>
>> Clearly I'll have to practice more to improve my technique.

Yowsers,
A great shot of one of my favourite GP cars.
Thanks!
--
Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
East Innisfail

Savageduck[_3_]
October 4th 12, 06:13 AM
On 2012-10-03 21:51:15 -0700, "Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA"
> said:
<<< Le Snip >>>

Yowsers,
> A great shot of one of my favourite GP cars.
> Thanks!

Glad you liked it. I don't think this is the place for too many
automotive shots they are a bit OT for a.b.p.a. (eventhough
aerodynamics plays a part).So if they interest you here are a few of my
shots from Laguna Seca, California.
<
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lx56l61b7bbj1se/ZsHsiTueoW/Shared%20Images/Automotive/Laguna%20Seca%20Extras

--