PDA

View Full Version : new airmen certificate

dave
January 15th 04, 09:40 PM
After Jay Honeck posted his question about whether or not to include
anonymous pilots/aircraft on his website. I responded that although I
thought his website was a good idea, that I prefer to remain anonymous.
That started a very valuable debate that probably scared and educated
all of us. Perhaps Jay more than others. I don't think we need to
discuss that again.

Someone posted that we could change our certificate number by applying
to the FAA. I sent the form in about a month ago. Today I received my
new plastic certificate complete with my new number and the Wright
brothers looking approvingly on the back. Just wanted everyone to know
that it was a painless and fairly prompt process. Kudos to the FAA for
being just plain helpful!

Dave
7ECA

Dan Luke
January 16th 04, 12:43 AM
Where did you find the form?

Gerry Caron
January 16th 04, 01:29 AM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> Where did you find the form?

Start here: http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp

Gerry

Dan Luke
January 16th 04, 02:36 AM
thanks

Cub Driver
January 16th 04, 11:38 AM
>I sent the form in about a month ago. Today I received my
>new plastic certificate complete with my new number and the Wright
>brothers looking approvingly on the back.

Yes, very pretty. For about a month I carried the thang in my wallet,
hoping somebody would ask to see it.

Nobody did, so I returned it to its slot on the inside back cover of
my logbook.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Jim Weir
January 16th 04, 02:37 PM
WHAT form??? WHAT new plastic certificate???

Jim

->>I sent the form in about a month ago. Today I received my
->>new plastic certificate complete with my new number and the Wright
->>brothers looking approvingly on the back.

http://www.rst-engr.com

C J Campbell
January 16th 04, 03:50 PM
"Jim Weir" > wrote in message
| WHAT form??? WHAT new plastic certificate???
|
| Jim

The FAA has been issuing plastic card certificates for several months now.
Supposedly harder to forge, they also celebrate the centennial of flight.
Don't worry. You can keep your old paper certificate for now.

Peter R.
January 16th 04, 04:25 PM
Cub Driver ) wrote:

> Nobody did, so I returned it to its slot on the inside back cover of
> my logbook.

You carry your logbook in your aircraft?

--
Peter

Jim Weir
January 16th 04, 04:32 PM
No, that's not the point. Almost all of my certificates were in my hip pocket
during the Kitty Hawk gig and got soaking wet during the rainstorm. They are
damn near illegible and I wanted to replace them anyway. Other than the normal
"send me in with a check" information on the back of the certificate, is there a
special form you have to fill out for the plastic replacements?

Jim

"C J Campbell" >

->
->"Jim Weir" > wrote in message
->| WHAT form??? WHAT new plastic certificate???
->|
->| Jim
->|
->
->The FAA has been issuing plastic card certificates for several months now.
->Supposedly harder to forge, they also celebrate the centennial of flight.
->Don't worry. You can keep your old paper certificate for now.
->

http://www.rst-engr.com

Don Tuite
January 16th 04, 05:17 PM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:32:48 -0800, Jim Weir > wrote:

is there a
>special form you have to fill out for the plastic replacements?
http://registry.faa.gov/docs/8060-56.pdf

Fill it out and send it in with a check for two simoleons and a
Wheaties boxtop.

Don

Jim Weir
January 16th 04, 05:30 PM
I never used my social security number, never. I've got unique IDs for the
commercial/cfi, the A&P, and the ground instructor. Why you get three different
numbers from the same organization is beyond me, but that's the way it goes.

So if you've ALREADY got your numbers, do you need the form anyway?

Jim

"G.R. Patterson III" >

->
->
->Jim Weir wrote:
->>
->> No, that's not the point. Almost all of my certificates were in my hip
pocket
->> during the Kitty Hawk gig and got soaking wet during the rainstorm. They
are
->> damn near illegible and I wanted to replace them anyway. Other than the
normal
->> "send me in with a check" information on the back of the certificate, is
there a
->> special form you have to fill out for the plastic replacements?
->
->The special form is to request that they assign you a new ID number instead of
->using your Social Security number. You can change that when you get a new
->certificate.
->
->George Patterson
-> Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said
is
-> "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

http://www.rst-engr.com

G.R. Patterson III
January 16th 04, 07:45 PM
Jim Weir wrote:

> No, that's not the point. Almost all of my certificates were in my hip pocket
> during the Kitty Hawk gig and got soaking wet during the rainstorm. They are
> damn near illegible and I wanted to replace them anyway. Other than the normal
> "send me in with a check" information on the back of the certificate, is there a
> special form you have to fill out for the plastic replacements?

The special form is to request that they assign you a new ID number instead of
using your Social Security number. You can change that when you get a new
certificate.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

G.R. Patterson III
January 16th 04, 09:00 PM
Jim Weir wrote:

> So if you've ALREADY got your numbers, do you need the form anyway?

Nope. Just request a replacement in the usual way. The replacement will be one of
the new plastic ones.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Google