PDA

View Full Version : Becker AR4201 mic question

Don[_4_]
October 9th 12, 04:04 AM
I have an AR4201 that I have always used with a dynamic boom mic and I
swapped it with an AR4201 wired for a standard mic in another glider.
After sliding it in the box it receives fine and the mic keys the radio,
but I'm not getting any transmit audio. Any ideas what adjustments or
software instructions to change? Anyone else seen this problem?

October 9th 12, 12:00 PM
I believe you have to modify the wiring harness. The AR 3201's mic setting could be changed by moving a jumper. Not so on the 4 4201. Mics use different pins on the back of the radio based on dynamic vs standard type.
Do you have a manual for the radio?
CP

On Monday, October 8, 2012 11:04:31 PM UTC-4, Don wrote:
> I have an AR4201 that I have always used with a dynamic boom mic and I
>
> swapped it with an AR4201 wired for a standard mic in another glider.
>
> After sliding it in the box it receives fine and the mic keys the radio,
>
> but I'm not getting any transmit audio. Any ideas what adjustments or
>
> software instructions to change? Anyone else seen this problem?

Tim Mara
October 9th 12, 02:35 PM
AR4201 will operate with either Dynamic (non-amplified) or Amplified
Dynamic, Electret and Carbon type microphones but both microphone types
reqire that the mic be wired to different pin's. check my website for the
manuals and wire diagrams http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page1.htm and on
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/useful.htm
regards
Tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Don" > wrote in message
m...
>I have an AR4201 that I have always used with a dynamic boom mic and I
>swapped it with an AR4201 wired for a standard mic in another glider. After
>sliding it in the box it receives fine and the mic keys the radio, but I'm
>not getting any transmit audio. Any ideas what adjustments or software
>instructions to change? Anyone else seen this problem?

Steve Leonard[_2_]
October 9th 12, 04:10 PM
On Monday, October 8, 2012 10:04:31 PM UTC-5, Don wrote:
> I have an AR4201 that I have always used with a dynamic boom mic and I swapped it with an AR4201 wired for a standard mic in another glider. After sliding it in the box it receives fine and the mic keys the radio, but I'm not getting any transmit audio. Any ideas what adjustments or software instructions to change? Anyone else seen this problem?

Sounds like you put the radio that was in the ship with a standard mic into your ship that has a dynamic, boom mic?

Did you move just the radio, or the wire harness as well? If you just moved the radio, and not the wire harness (you say you slipped it in the box, so this implies to me that you just did a radio move, nothing else), then I would think there is a problem with the microphone. Did you change radios to see if it was a radio problem or a mic problem? Maybe your dynamic boom mic element has died. I have heard of this happening before.

Steve Leonard

JohnDeRosa
October 9th 12, 04:12 PM
It appears that both the shield (ground) and center conductors must be wired to different pins on connector J1/P1 depending on a standard or dynamic microphone.

Standard Microphone
-------------------
Pin 14 - Shield
Pin 18 - Center conductor

Dynamic Microphone
------------------
Pin 6 - Shield
Pin 5 - Center conductor

Good luck, John

RobKol
October 9th 12, 05:15 PM
On Monday, October 8, 2012 8:04:31 PM UTC-7, Don wrote:
> I have an AR4201 that I have always used with a dynamic boom mic and I
>
> swapped it with an AR4201 wired for a standard mic in another glider.
>
> After sliding it in the box it receives fine and the mic keys the radio,
>
> but I'm not getting any transmit audio. Any ideas what adjustments or
>
> software instructions to change? Anyone else seen this problem?

Don,
You can look at the example of AR4201 wiring with dynamic microphone shown here http://www.flickr.com/photos/72885489@N00/7174737893/in/photostream/lightbox/

Microphone input uses pin 5, and microphone ground uses pin 6. If you swapped the units only, than you need to go into setup mode on the transceiver and tell it that you are using dynamic microphone now. This would be SF16 setting in the unit service mode.

AR4201 manual can be accessed at http://www.becker-avionics.com/adm/manuals/48bac5bafed91cc13aa7baced1c69916.pdf

Robert

Google