PDA

View Full Version : Estrella in Winter????

Matt Herron
October 11th 12, 09:59 PM
My wife has a ten-day teacher training gig in January in Tempe. I'm considering dragging the trailer down for a week or so of soaring, but I know zip about what conditions are likely to be at that time of year.

I emailed the Estrella gliderport, but never got a response. (Bad sign?)

Can anyone tell me whether conditions are likely to be good enough in January to be worth the trip? I'd be most greatful!

Matt Herron

Mike the Strike
October 11th 12, 10:55 PM
I have been running an Arizona Soaring Forecast web site for the past ten years and can give you some insight into the likely winter soaring weather.

We typically suffer from winter high pressure and don't have great conditions typically from November through March. However, every now and then a frontal system will come through that gives an odd day of decent soaring. It's unlikely that you will have any cross-country soaring in January, but it will be flyable and you might be able to soar on the nearby mountains. Every so often, there's even a spot of wave.

Our best soaring and cross-country weather is from April through October. Check the Arizona Soaring Association and Tucson Soaring Club OLC flights to see when we are most active.

Estrella is still doing fine and they should respond to your e-mail eventually, but you could always call the desk.

Mike

POPS
October 12th 12, 04:54 PM
My wife has a ten-day teacher training gig in January in Tempe. I'm considering dragging the trailer down for a week or so of soaring, but I know zip about what conditions are likely to be at that time of year.

I emailed the Estrella gliderport, but never got a response. (Bad sign?)

Can anyone tell me whether conditions are likely to be good enough in January to be worth the trip? I'd be most greatful!

Matt Herron

The people out at Estrella are just great, super helpful and accommodating. Extremely mellow scene. I spent 2 weeks camped out in their 'Rustic A-Frame' as they transitioned me into my 1st ship last year. A++ experience.

October 12th 12, 08:21 PM
Thanks so much, Mike. Looks like the best way to take advantage of winter conditions in Arizona would be to live in the area.

I'll probably pass on this one.

Matt Herron

October 13th 12, 06:02 PM
Save the trouble of dragging the glider out, but go to Estrella anyway and fly with Jason in the Fox. If it does turn out to be a soaring day, you can try your luck at thermalling inverted! And if it is not soarable, you are definitely not doing just a sled ride.

Great folks there and they do the best job I have ever seen at any gliding (or powered) operation of recognizing that safety is important and needs to be considered, but you are a CUSTOMER there to have FUN.

Google