PDA

View Full Version : LanceAir today

Jeff
January 19th 04, 02:26 AM
Here at the VGT airport there is a lanceair that has a turbo prop.

I saw this guy take off today and it was impressive!
He climbed almost verticle, first time I seen a plane, outside of a
airforce jet, do that, then when he leveled off, tell you what, that is
a seriously fast planes.

BTIZ
January 19th 04, 05:06 AM
Jeff.. he is based there.. I believe his hanger is the first one on the east
end of the row facing the Runway 7/12 intersection. That Lancair is the one
that was rebuilt with the turbine and was featured in the magazine, either
Sport Pilot or KitBuild.. don't remember which.

I believe that this is the same Lancair that had a water cooled auto engine
in it prior to conversion.

Yes.. I'd like to have a Turbine Lancair also..

BT

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> Here at the VGT airport there is a lanceair that has a turbo prop.
>
> I saw this guy take off today and it was impressive!
> He climbed almost verticle, first time I seen a plane, outside of a
> airforce jet, do that, then when he leveled off, tell you what, that is
> a seriously fast planes.

Dennis O'Connor
January 19th 04, 02:38 PM
It's also seriously fast when the engine packs it in, and you have to dead
stick it into the bush...
denny
"Jeff" > wrote in message
> Here at the VGT airport there is a lanceair that has a turbo prop.
>
> I saw this guy take off today and it was impressive!
> He climbed almost verticle, first time I seen a plane, outside of a
> airforce jet, do that, then when he leveled off, tell you what, that is
> a seriously fast planes.

G.R. Patterson III
January 19th 04, 04:35 PM
BTIZ wrote:

> Jeff.. he is based there.. I believe his hanger is the first one on the east
> end of the row facing the Runway 7/12 intersection. That Lancair is the one
> that was rebuilt with the turbine and was featured in the magazine, either
> Sport Pilot or KitBuild.. don't remember which.

Sport Aviation

> I believe that this is the same Lancair that had a water cooled auto engine
> in it prior to conversion.

That's correct.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Jeff
January 19th 04, 04:46 PM
BTIZ, have you ever saw that thing take off. Its unbelieveable.
that guy has a fast airplane.

I saw it sitting in his hanger when I taxied by, it catches your attention to
see that prop on the front of a lanceair, but to watch him take off. Its an
impressive plane.

BTIZ wrote:

> Jeff.. he is based there.. I believe his hanger is the first one on the east
> end of the row facing the Runway 7/12 intersection. That Lancair is the one
> that was rebuilt with the turbine and was featured in the magazine, either
> Sport Pilot or KitBuild.. don't remember which.
>
> I believe that this is the same Lancair that had a water cooled auto engine
> in it prior to conversion.
>
> Yes.. I'd like to have a Turbine Lancair also..
>
> BT
>
> "Jeff" > wrote in message
> > Here at the VGT airport there is a lanceair that has a turbo prop.
> >
> > I saw this guy take off today and it was impressive!
> > He climbed almost verticle, first time I seen a plane, outside of a
> > airforce jet, do that, then when he leveled off, tell you what, that is
> > a seriously fast planes.

Jeff
January 19th 04, 04:47 PM
lanceairs dont glide very well ?

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

> It's also seriously fast when the engine packs it in, and you have to dead
> stick it into the bush...
> denny
> "Jeff" > wrote in message
> > Here at the VGT airport there is a lanceair that has a turbo prop.
> >
> > I saw this guy take off today and it was impressive!
> > He climbed almost verticle, first time I seen a plane, outside of a
> > airforce jet, do that, then when he leveled off, tell you what, that is
> > a seriously fast planes.

G.R. Patterson III
January 19th 04, 05:05 PM
Jeff wrote:

> lanceairs dont glide very well ?

They have a high stall speed.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Dan Luke
January 19th 04, 07:19 PM
Greg Patterson wrote:
> They have a high stall speed.

Yep.

IV-P Propjet: 74 mph dirty, according to their web site - pretty brisk
for 4-place, SE prop bird.

That means you'd be pushing 80 mph to leave a bare margin for
maneuvering during an emergency landing. Imagine running off the road at
80 mph in your car. Ouch.

(By comparison though, a Bonanza A36 has a Vso of 64 mph, so putting one
of those down in the bushes must be somewhat thrilling, as well.
http://sq14.cawg.cap.gov/Docs/A36YellowCheckList.pdf )
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

BTIZ
January 19th 04, 10:04 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in message
> BTIZ, have you ever saw that thing take off. Its unbelieveable.
> that guy has a fast airplane.

Yes I have... and yes.. I still want one...

BT

Dean Wilkinson
January 20th 04, 05:42 AM
> That means you'd be pushing 80 mph to leave a bare margin for
> maneuvering during an emergency landing. Imagine running off the road at
> 80 mph in your car. Ouch.

Unfortunately you are quite correct. I recently worked with three men
who landed a Lancair IV-P on a small paved private strip. On
touchdown the right main got off the pavement and the plane veered
into the trees at 90 mph. Only one of the three was lucky enough to
survive.

High landing speeds carry more kinetic energy. The kinetic energy at
90 mph is 2.25 times greater than at 60 mph.

Dean

Google