PDA

View Full Version : Engine overhaul/replacemtn in Europe

Frode Berg
January 19th 04, 11:37 AM
Hi all!

I am in a co ownership of a 1968 Arrow, and our engine is currently
operating on overtime (allowed extra time before complete overhaul)

I have been given the priviledge of findig out our options on a replacement
engine.
Can someone provide a web page with links to different European shops that
would do this?

What would our options be? A new engine? Refurbished one? What would be the
pro's and con's of those two, and the price difference.

We are discussing the possiblilties of upgraing to a Garmin 430, as well as
an S_TEC two axi AP. Possibly also a stormscope.
Is there any sense in finding a shop that would do all this in one go? Would
there be any price savings?

Oh and one more thing. Since we are in JAR territory now, what would the
regulations be if I for instance fly to Belgium and get it all done. Would
it require a bunch of paper work once back in Norway?

All the best,

Frode Berg
LN-LMR
P28R-180

Julian Scarfe
January 19th 04, 08:48 PM
"Frode Berg" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I am in a co ownership of a 1968 Arrow, and our engine is currently
> operating on overtime (allowed extra time before complete overhaul)
>
> I have been given the priviledge of findig out our options on a
replacement
> engine.
> Can someone provide a web page with links to different European shops that
> would do this?

Air Power supply factory engines if you want to go down that road.
http://www.factoryengines.com/

If you can persuade your local maintenance shop to do the swap, that may be
the most cost effective route.

> What would our options be? A new engine? Refurbished one? What would be
the
> pro's and con's of those two, and the price difference.

Here's a typical set of numbers from the site above:

New $33,100
Remanufactured $21,900
Overhauled $19,600

The difference between a reman and a factory overhaul is mainly in terms of
formally zeroing the time rather than making it SMOH. In principle the
tolerances are tighter for the reuse of parts. In practice it might not
make much difference.

Julian Scarfe

Paul Sengupta
January 19th 04, 09:13 PM
"Julian Scarfe" > wrote in message
> Air Power supply factory engines if you want to go down that road.
> http://www.factoryengines.com/

I get two different prices for the engine for my Bulldog. If I enter it
as an IO-360-A1B6, I get
New $32,618, Remanufactured $21,331, Overhauled $18,692

As an AEIO-360-A1B6, I get
New $35,716, Remanufactured $23,407, Overhauled $20,759

Not sure what else you get in the "AE" bit. The RAF converted the
engine into an AE by adding a Christen inverted oil system I believe.

The engine (outside this add-on) I would guess is the same as it was
before. Why the price difference? Do they overhaul/supply a new
inverted oil system?

Paul

Kjell Aanvik
January 19th 04, 10:57 PM
The AE is for AErobatic, hence the Christen inverted oil system

Kjell Aa
Oslo, Norway

"Paul Sengupta" > skrev i melding
> "Julian Scarfe" > wrote in message
> > Air Power supply factory engines if you want to go down that road.
> > http://www.factoryengines.com/
>
> I get two different prices for the engine for my Bulldog. If I enter it
> as an IO-360-A1B6, I get
> New $32,618, Remanufactured $21,331, Overhauled $18,692
>
> As an AEIO-360-A1B6, I get
> New $35,716, Remanufactured $23,407, Overhauled $20,759
>
> Not sure what else you get in the "AE" bit. The RAF converted the
> engine into an AE by adding a Christen inverted oil system I believe.
>
> The engine (outside this add-on) I would guess is the same as it was
> before. Why the price difference? Do they overhaul/supply a new
> inverted oil system?
>
> Paul

David Cartwright
January 20th 04, 09:40 AM
"Frode Berg" > wrote in message
> What would our options be? A new engine? Refurbished one? What would be
the
> pro's and con's of those two, and the price difference.

I was chatting to an aircraft-owning friend who's also an engineer (and
who's also trying to sell me a share in a PA28-161) about this the other
day. In his opinion and experience, he reckons that if you can afford it,
you should always go for the new engine instead of a "zero timed"
refurbishment. Apparently he's found over the years that although components
may look okay during the refurb, it's generally the bits that weren't
replaced that start to give trouble, and that there's a noticeable trend
that refurb engines need attention long before new ones.

D.

B S D Chapman
January 20th 04, 10:27 AM
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:57:25 +0100, Kjell Aanvik
> wrote:

> The AE is for AErobatic, hence the Christen inverted oil system
>
> Kjell Aa
> Oslo, Norway
>
> "Paul Sengupta" > skrev i melding
>> "Julian Scarfe" > wrote in message
>> > Air Power supply factory engines if you want to go down that road.
>> > http://www.factoryengines.com/
>>
>> I get two different prices for the engine for my Bulldog. If I enter it
>> as an IO-360-A1B6, I get
>> New $32,618, Remanufactured $21,331, Overhauled $18,692
>>
>> As an AEIO-360-A1B6, I get
>> New $35,716, Remanufactured $23,407, Overhauled $20,759
>>
>> Not sure what else you get in the "AE" bit. The RAF converted the
>> engine into an AE by adding a Christen inverted oil system I believe.

That's a bit of a laugh though, isn't it?
8 seconds was the book figure, but you'd be bloody lucky to last that long!

Paul Sengupta
February 8th 04, 09:36 PM
"B S D Chapman" <mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk> wrote in message
> That's a bit of a laugh though, isn't it?
> 8 seconds was the book figure, but you'd be bloody lucky to last that
long!

That's because there's so much dihedral on the wings
all the fuel runs downhill to the upper tanks when you're
inverted, so you only have what's in the fuel lines!

Paul

Google