PDA

View Full Version : Colibri II query

waremark
October 17th 12, 07:08 PM
Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?

This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a USB cable?

Thanks for any helpful info.

Mark Burton

October 17th 12, 10:16 PM
I assume a micro SD card was supplied with your Calibri II. Use a SD card reader attached to a USB cable and download to your PC. Works fine. I've never had any trouble.

BTW, the Calibri II is a GREAT system. I send the GPS positions to my Oudie via a LX V-7.

Matt Herron

Richard[_9_]
October 17th 12, 11:36 PM
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:08:13 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
> Does anybody have a Colibri II logger? This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a USB cable? Thanks for any helpful info. Mark Burton

Mark,

SD card reader
The unit has an integral micro SD card reader positioned on the left side of the unit.
SD card is used for:
-Uploading TP (CUP format)
-Downloading flights from internal memory (IGC format)
-Uploading of flight declaration in LX format (.HDR )

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

October 18th 12, 12:03 AM
The short answer is no. C2 works like Richard described. Insert the SD card into your PC or Mac, and move files back and forth. It will appear like any other SD card or USB storage device on your computer. I like it due to the features mentioned. My Nav unit took a vacation on my last flight (casual not competition), so I flew from TP to TP using the C2. Nice back up.

waremark
October 18th 12, 12:20 AM
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:08:13 PM UTC+1, waremark wrote:
> Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?
>

> This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a USB cable?
>

> Thanks for any helpful info.
>

> Mark Burton

I was considering one as a backup logger (LX 9000 in the panel). As mentioned, I like all the additional features compared to other loggers, but I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly. If that is the only way of downloading flights, I think I will do without the other clever backup features and get a (much cheaper) EW Microrecorder as my backup logger.

pcool
October 18th 12, 12:43 AM
I have a C2, using it as backup logger.
A backup logger should not need a battery, and the C2 works for more than 10
hours on its own internal battery.
I still have to understand how long it works without using the display, I
guess much more than 12 hours.
This device is a real backup recorder and navigator: if for any reason
during a competition your energy system goes nuts, or the main computer is
gone, you still have a navigation device in your pocket, with some velcro
you can stick it to the cockpit and go ahead.
What is the price difference?

paolo

"waremark" wrote in message

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:08:13 PM UTC+1, waremark wrote:
> Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?
>

> This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio
> vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from
> reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading
> an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be
> downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using
> a USB cable?
>

> Thanks for any helpful info.
>

> Mark Burton

I was considering one as a backup logger (LX 9000 in the panel). As
mentioned, I like all the additional features compared to other loggers, but
I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly. If that is the only way of
downloading flights, I think I will do without the other clever backup
features and get a (much cheaper) EW Microrecorder as my backup logger.

Tony[_5_]
October 18th 12, 02:54 AM
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:20:57 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:08:13 PM UTC+1, waremark wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?
>

> > This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a USB cable?
>

> > Thanks for any helpful info.
>

> > Mark Burton
>

> I was considering one as a backup logger (LX 9000 in the panel). As mentioned, I like all the additional features compared to other loggers, but I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly. If that is the only way of downloading flights, I think I will do without the other clever backup features and get a (much cheaper) EW Microrecorder as my backup logger.

I'd get an LX Nano, but i might be a bit biased because I really like mine.

JohnDeRosa
October 18th 12, 02:38 PM
On Oct 17, 6:20*pm, waremark > wrote:
> but I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly.

Waremark - Can you detail why you comment that MicroSD cards are too
fiddly? I use one in my Oudie and, while they are pretty small for
large hands to handle (don't drop one in tall grass!), they are
robust. I then use an MicroSD to SD adapter (cheap on eBay and other
sources) to allow it to be used in my laptops SD slot. You can also
purchase inexpensive USB readers which handle all types of cards,
including MicroSD. Thanks, John.

waremark
October 18th 12, 05:04 PM
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:38:05 PM UTC+1, JohnDeRosa wrote:
> On Oct 17, 6:20*pm, waremark > wrote:
>
> > but I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly.
>

> Waremark - Can you detail why you comment that MicroSD cards are too
>
> fiddly? I use one in my Oudie and, while they are pretty small for
>
> large hands to handle (don't drop one in tall grass!), they are
>
> robust. I then use an MicroSD to SD adapter (cheap on eBay and other
>
> sources) to allow it to be used in my laptops SD slot. You can also
>
> purchase inexpensive USB readers which handle all types of cards,
>
> including MicroSD. Thanks, John.

Thanks for all the input which has been helpful.

I have a micro SD card and the associated adaptor which makes it possible to plug it into my laptop. However, I find it extremely fiddly, and it is far easier to plug the Oudie straight into the laptop using a USB cable. Obviously my fingers are clumsier than yours! I find it odd to have designed the Colibri II so that it cannot be downloaded direct to either a PDA or a PC..

Of the three loggers which have internal backup rechargeable batteries, the UK prices before discounts are Colibri II £528, Nano £470, and EW Microrecorder £330. The EW has a full size SD card and communicates with either a PDA or with a laptop. Its downsides are that it doesn't have the extra info of the Colibri, or the Bluetooth of the Nano, and that the included GPS antenna is external. But I have been using one quite happily as the backup logger in my existing glider, and it looks like the best for my requirements as well as the cheapest solution as the backup logger for my new glider.

Tim Mara
October 18th 12, 10:08 PM
certainly, or simply use a card reader (about $8.00) and red all fines
direct to a PC
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"waremark" > wrote in message
Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?

This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio
vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from
reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an
IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be
downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a
USB cable?

Thanks for any helpful info.

Mark Burton

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
October 19th 12, 12:39 AM
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:04:15 -0700, waremark wrote:

> Of the three loggers which have internal backup rechargeable batteries,
> the UK prices before discounts are Colibri II £528, Nano £470, and EW
> Microrecorder £330. The EW has a full size SD card and communicates with
> either a PDA or with a laptop. Its downsides are that it doesn't have
> the extra info of the Colibri, or the Bluetooth of the Nano, and that
> the included GPS antenna is external. But I have been using one quite
> happily as the backup logger in my existing glider, and it looks like
> the best for my requirements as well as the cheapest solution as the
> backup logger for my new glider.

Yep. I've been using an EW model D and was very happy with it until that
pair of selfish *******s got it outlawed by faking a 500 km flight in an
ASK-13. I'm just about to replace it with an EW Microrecorder.

FWIW I have a Red Box FLARM with SD card option installed. So, I had been
planning to add the IGC signing firmware module because that would be by
far the cheapest way to get an ICG-approved logger. However, there is a
disadvantage to that plan: the necessity of taking the Red Box out of my
panel to get it calibrated if/when I get another Gold or Diamond leg.
This tips the scale toward the Microrecorder for me, even though logs
from LK8000 are accepted for the BGA Ladder, which means I could continue
to fly and put in good flights while the Red Box was away for
calibration. Of course, ymmv ....

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

waremark
October 19th 12, 02:45 AM
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:11:44 PM UTC+1, Tim Mara wrote:
> certainly, or simply use a card reader (about $8.00) and red all fines
>
> direct to a PC
>
> tim
>
> Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com
>

> "waremark" > wrote in message

> Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?
>

> This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio
>
> vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from
>
> reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an
>
> IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be
>
> downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a
>
> USB cable?
>

> Thanks for any helpful info.
>

> Mark Burton

Tim, when you say 'Certainly' do you mean that there is a way of downloading flight files which does not require you to handle the micro SD card? Other people seem to have said no to that question, and if you cannot download flight files except via the micro SD card I will not get a Colibri II.

Many thanks for clarifying, Mark

Google