PDA

View Full Version : Frigid Weather Pix

Jay Honeck
January 20th 04, 08:39 PM
For you snow-birds who might like to see what you're missing in the Upper
Midwest in January, here are some pix from our flight to Wisconsin over the
weekend:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/frigid_january.htm

Enjoy!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

G.R. Patterson III
January 20th 04, 09:17 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> For you snow-birds who might like to see what you're missing in the Upper
> Midwest in January, here are some pix from our flight to Wisconsin over the
> weekend:

Thanks, but we have our own problems at the moment.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Jay Honeck
January 20th 04, 09:29 PM
> Thanks, but we have our own problems at the moment.

You ain't no snowbird, George...

Heck, it's colder by you than it's been here, no?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Marco Leon
January 20th 04, 09:43 PM
Hey Jay. Forget to go through the clean-up checklist after you landed? ;-)

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Thanks, but we have our own problems at the moment.
>
> You ain't no snowbird, George...
>
> Heck, it's colder by you than it's been here, no?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

http://www.usenet.com

Jay Honeck
January 20th 04, 10:50 PM
> Hey Jay. Forget to go through the clean-up checklist after you landed? ;-)

Hmm...I see what you mean.

I was remembering taking these pictures after we landed, but I guess I took
'em when I was pre-flighting.

Whatever, it was friggin' COLD! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Bob Noel
January 21st 04, 12:49 AM
In article <ugiPb.108060$I06.645039@attbi_s01>, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

> > Hey Jay. Forget to go through the clean-up checklist after you landed?
> > ;-)
>
> Hmm...I see what you mean.
>
> I was remembering taking these pictures after we landed, but I guess I
> took
> 'em when I was pre-flighting.
>
> Whatever, it was friggin' COLD! :-)

that's your excuse? pretty weak.... ;-)

--
Bob Noel

Marco Leon
January 21st 04, 01:37 PM
Actually, it can be argued that one should have the flaps down while taxiing
on rough icy taxiways. Much like a soft-field take-off using flaps to
lighten the load on the wheels a bit.

Marco

"Bob Noel" > wrote in message
> In article <ugiPb.108060$I06.645039@attbi_s01>, "Jay Honeck"
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hey Jay. Forget to go through the clean-up checklist after you landed?
> > > ;-)
> >
> > Hmm...I see what you mean.
> >
> > I was remembering taking these pictures after we landed, but I guess I
> > took
> > 'em when I was pre-flighting.
> >
> > Whatever, it was friggin' COLD! :-)
>

> that's your excuse? pretty weak.... ;-)
>
> --
> Bob Noel

http://www.usenet.com

plumbus bobbus
January 21st 04, 01:58 PM
"Marco Leon" <mleon(at)optonline.net> wrote in message
> Actually, it can be argued that one should have the flaps down while
taxiing
> on rough icy taxiways. Much like a soft-field take-off using flaps to
> lighten the load on the wheels a bit.

Nonsense. It is obvious you do not have not much or any experience taxiing
on snow and ice. You want to maximize traction because there is very little
traction on snow and ice. Keep the flaps up.

-- Bobbus, Plumbus

G.R. Patterson III
January 21st 04, 03:12 PM
Marco Leon wrote:

> Actually, it can be argued that one should have the flaps down while taxiing
> on rough icy taxiways.

That would be sort of like trying to carry a sheet of plywood across and outdoor
skating rink. The least little gust, and you're sailing away. Keep the flaps up.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Ron Natalie
January 21st 04, 03:53 PM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message ...

> Marco Leon wrote:
> >
> > Actually, it can be argued that one should have the flaps down while taxiing
> > on rough icy taxiways.
>
> That would be sort of like trying to carry a sheet of plywood across and outdoor
> skating rink. The least little gust, and you're sailing away. Keep the flaps up.

Or even a steady cross wind. The Navion has a lot of sail area as it is when
it's broadside to the wind. It takes a lot of rudder to make it track straight in
a cross wind. The last thing I'd do is leave the flaps down in a taxi.

Marco Leon
January 21st 04, 05:07 PM
You're such a pleasant person.

Notice I said "argued" with taking a specific side of the arguement. If
there's a lot of the bumpy frozen slush around, then slippin' and slidin'
won't be an issue. Smooth stuff--yes, of course keep the flaps up.

"plumbus bobbus" > wrote in message
> "Marco Leon" <mleon(at)optonline.net> wrote in message

> Nonsense. It is obvious you do not have not much or any experience taxiing
> on snow and ice. You want to maximize traction because there is very
little
> traction on snow and ice. Keep the flaps up.
>
> -- Bobbus, Plumbus

http://www.usenet.com

Marco Leon
January 21st 04, 05:10 PM
Skating rinks have smooth ice. What if there's bumpy frozen slush like there
now in 80% of the back roads in the Northeast? Sliding won't be an issue
where damage to the tire/gear may be a consideration.

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Marco Leon wrote:
> >
> > Actually, it can be argued that one should have the flaps down while
taxiing
> > on rough icy taxiways.
>
> That would be sort of like trying to carry a sheet of plywood across and
outdoor
> skating rink. The least little gust, and you're sailing away. Keep the
flaps up.

> George Patterson
> Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is
> "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

http://www.usenet.com

G.R. Patterson III
January 21st 04, 05:24 PM
Marco Leon wrote:

> Skating rinks have smooth ice. What if there's bumpy frozen slush like there
> now in 80% of the back roads in the Northeast? Sliding won't be an issue
> where damage to the tire/gear may be a consideration.

If the ground is that rough, you won't be going fast enough for the flaps to make
any difference. At the same time, however, you risk damage to the flaps in low
wing aircraft and loss of control due to gusts in high wing aircraft.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Google