PDA

View Full Version : N73827 is for sale

Roger Long
January 20th 04, 09:41 PM
We have decided to try and sell N73827 "as is - where is" and take the loss
so we can clear the decks and move on to getting a new S plane on line as
soon as possible. Many of you here know what I've been through with that
plane and can understand what it's like to hang out the "For Sale" sign.
The sign in this case is an online web brochure:

http://baldeagleflyingclub.org/Sale/N73827info.htm

We loved this airplane and took care of her accordingly. She needs paint
and some other cosmetics but she flies absolutely square. A couple of guest
pilot friends have said she was the smoothest and nicest handling Skyhawk
they had flown. I'll be sorry to see her go but it will be a great
opportunity for someone who would like to get the engine done exactly "their
way".

--
Roger Long

Roger Long
January 20th 04, 10:16 PM
Actually, it's Dan Gagnon. We don't see many wives around the clubhouse for
some reason but Susan doesn't ring a bell (even though it's my wife's name)

--
Roger Long
Jeffrey Voight > wrote in message
> Roger:
>
> As much as I would love to buy that plane, it's not in my financial
> picture anytime soon. However, I was wandering around the Bald Eagle
> page and noticed a familiar name: David Gangnon. Actually, David's name
> isn't familiar but his last name and phone number are familiar. Would
> you know, is his wife's name Susan? If so, I worked with her way way
> back in the day (1985).
>
> Jeff...
>
> Roger Long wrote:
> > We have decided to try and sell N73827 "as is - where is" and take the
loss
> > so we can clear the decks and move on to getting a new S plane on line
as
> > soon as possible. Many of you here know what I've been through with
that
> > plane and can understand what it's like to hang out the "For Sale" sign.
> > The sign in this case is an online web brochure:
> >
> > http://baldeagleflyingclub.org/Sale/N73827info.htm
> >
> > We loved this airplane and took care of her accordingly. She needs
paint
> > and some other cosmetics but she flies absolutely square. A couple of
guest
> > pilot friends have said she was the smoothest and nicest handling
Skyhawk
> > they had flown. I'll be sorry to see her go but it will be a great
> > opportunity for someone who would like to get the engine done exactly
"their
> > way".
> >
> > --
> > Roger Long

Toks Desalu
January 20th 04, 11:41 PM
I was looking at your videos and noticed something. All of your approaches
to runways indicates that you are pretty high on finals. If that is true,
any reason?
Toks

Roger Long
January 21st 04, 01:54 AM
You betcha! I love a slam dunk. 40 degrees of flaps, windshield full of
runway, guy giving me the BFR saying, "Uh, the airport's down there,
somewhere." I can't remember the last time I saw red over white.

Just kidding but, I do tend way high. Largely its a function of flying at a
Class C mixing with a lot of planes that can flip my spam can over if I get
too close and on their flight path. It's usually easier to come in high and
drop just past their touchdown point than to ask for an extended or a 360
and find out they have three more coming in if I don't get that slot that is
just a bit too tight. PWM isn't real busy but it happens enough that I like
to keep my steep approaches well practiced. For some reason, my touchdowns
are usually better on steep approaches as well.

Other considerations, more altitude in case of carb ice from the descent or
other power problem. Margin for sinks. We have big sinks due to water at
the ends of the most used runways. You don't always sink but, if you don't,
it's nice to be able to get down gracefully after the sink god laughs at
you. Steep is good at short strips with high trees. Nice to be in
practice.

When I go right seat with IFR guys or pilots who usually fly slippery and
hard to slow down planes I get kind of nervous watching the trees and houses
go by. I feel like saying, "Just pull into that 7 /11. I'll get a coke and
walk over and meet you at the airport."

--
Roger Long

Toks Desalu > wrote in message
> I was looking at your videos and noticed something. All of your
approaches
> to runways indicates that you are pretty high on finals. If that is true,
> any reason?
> Toks

Nathan Young
January 21st 04, 03:25 AM
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:54:13 GMT, "Roger Long"
m> wrote:

>You betcha! I love a slam dunk. 40 degrees of flaps, windshield full of
>runway, guy giving me the BFR saying, "Uh, the airport's down there,
>somewhere." I can't remember the last time I saw red over white.
>
>Just kidding but, I do tend way high. Largely its a function of flying at a
>Class C mixing with a lot of planes that can flip my spam can over if I get
>too close and on their flight path. It's usually easier to come in high and
>drop just past their touchdown point than to ask for an extended or a 360
>and find out they have three more coming in if I don't get that slot that is
>just a bit too tight. PWM isn't real busy but it happens enough that I like
>to keep my steep approaches well practiced. For some reason, my touchdowns
>are usually better on steep approaches as well.
>
>Other considerations, more altitude in case of carb ice from the descent or
>other power problem. Margin for sinks. We have big sinks due to water at
>the ends of the most used runways. You don't always sink but, if you don't,
>it's nice to be able to get down gracefully after the sink god laughs at
>you. Steep is good at short strips with high trees. Nice to be in
>practice.
>
>When I go right seat with IFR guys or pilots who usually fly slippery and
>hard to slow down planes I get kind of nervous watching the trees and houses
>go by. I feel like saying, "Just pull into that 7 /11. I'll get a coke and
>walk over and meet you at the airport."

I'm with you Roger. I love flying steep approaches. It is fun, and
allows for a safe landing if the engine decides to stop while in the
pattern.

I'm based at a 3400ft runway in the Midwest. Several twins and CJs
based here. They really drag in the approach. Occasionally enough
that you think they will dip into the gravel pit off the approach end
of 26 and not make it out.

-Nathan

Paul Sengupta
January 21st 04, 07:16 PM
"Nathan Young" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:54:13 GMT, "Roger Long"
> m> wrote:
>
> >You betcha! I love a slam dunk. 40 degrees of flaps, windshield full of
> >runway

> I'm with you Roger. I love flying steep approaches. It is fun, and
> allows for a safe landing if the engine decides to stop while in the
> pattern.

I still haven't quite got used to my plane yet. 45 degrees of flap and
the thing takes on the approach angle of a brick. I usually feel the
need or the urge to just give a little burst of power on short final to
get it to the runway, even though it looks like I've started rather high.

Paul

Roger Long
January 21st 04, 07:57 PM
Actually, one of the keys to making full flap landings work out is to carry
a couple hundred RPM more power right into the flare and touchdown. For a
short field, setting up a steep, slow, stabilized sink and then arresting it
with a pulse of power just before touchdown works well for me. Some of the
softest touchdowns I've ever made have been done just this way. Use care,
you do get in a situation where, if the engine decided to stop running, you
would have no way to avoid a very hard and possibly damaging bounce. You
also want to be pretty confident about your timing. Not recommended if
there is any possibility of wind sheer or gusts either.

--
Roger Long

Orval Fairbairn
January 21st 04, 09:19 PM
In article >,
"Roger Long" m>
wrote:

> Actually, one of the keys to making full flap landings work out is to carry
> a couple hundred RPM more power right into the flare and touchdown. For a
> short field, setting up a steep, slow, stabilized sink and then arresting it
> with a pulse of power just before touchdown works well for me. Some of the
> softest touchdowns I've ever made have been done just this way. Use care,
> you do get in a situation where, if the engine decided to stop running, you
> would have no way to avoid a very hard and possibly damaging bounce. You
> also want to be pretty confident about your timing. Not recommended if
> there is any possibility of wind sheer or gusts either.
>
> --
> Roger Long

That's cheating! Learn to make the entire approach & landing, power OFF.
The flare requires just a little more finesse.

Roger Long
January 21st 04, 09:40 PM
That's an excellent thing to do but I would do power off landings in a 172
at only 30 degrees of flaps. You can get slow enough with 40 that there
isn't enough elevator authority to flare well without power. It can be done
and is probably a good thing to learn but it's dicey not banging up your
nose gear practicing it.

Moot point for me now. One way or the other, I'll probably be flying a 30
degrees max flaps version soon. I'll have to brush up the slips.

--
Roger Long

Orval Fairbairn > wrote > >

> That's cheating! Learn to make the entire approach & landing, power OFF.
> The flare requires just a little more finesse.

Google