PDA

View Full Version : Roeger Hooks for ASW Sailplanes?

RAS56
October 20th 12, 09:50 PM
Saw one installed on a buddies DG...anyone know if there's any approvals for install on Schliecher's? Looks like a good idea and not too spendy...

Rob S.
ASW-19

October 21st 12, 02:02 AM
You could email A.S. or John Murray.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
October 21st 12, 02:07 AM
On 10/20/2012 6:02 PM, wrote:
> You could email A.S. or John Murray.

Or got to the Schleicher site, look at the TN's (techical notes) for the
ASW 19 for info.

email me)

RAS56
October 23rd 12, 03:32 AM
Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor.

Thanks.

RS

October 23rd 12, 03:02 PM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote:
> Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor.
>

> Thanks.
>

> RS

Right; it concerned me a bit moving from a 304C (with the hook) to a 19.
I imagined braining myself attempting to bail out. However, what I've
heard is that the canopy stays stuck on by air pressure after you pull
all the handles, and you have to push it off.

My bigger concern is the instrument panel. It's a fair chore to extricate
my tired old bulk at the end of a flight sitting on the ground. I quail in
horror at getting out against positive G, or at breaking my legs coming
out in negative G.

-- Matt

Craig Funston[_2_]
October 23rd 12, 04:37 PM
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:02:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote:
>
> > Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor.
>

> > Thanks.
>

> > RS
>

> Right; it concerned me a bit moving from a 304C (with the hook) to a 19.
>
> I imagined braining myself attempting to bail out. However, what I've
>
> heard is that the canopy stays stuck on by air pressure after you pull
>
> all the handles, and you have to push it off.
>

> My bigger concern is the instrument panel. It's a fair chore to extricate
>
> my tired old bulk at the end of a flight sitting on the ground. I quail in
>
> horror at getting out against positive G, or at breaking my legs coming
>
> out in negative G.
>

> -- Matt

Lots of good information about canopy behavior during bail-out. http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/roegerhaken-e.html

Craig

RAS56
October 24th 12, 04:44 AM
Matt,

Not to toot my own horn (too much!) but I wrote an article about a gent's bailout experience in a -19 earlier this year for Soaring Cafe.

Link to the article is here:

http://soaringcafe.com/2012/05/the-bailout-decision-are-you-ready/

Regards,

Rob

October 24th 12, 01:38 PM
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:02:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote: > Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor. > > > > Thanks. > > > > RS Right; it concerned me a bit moving from a 304C (with the hook) to a 19. I imagined braining myself attempting to bail out. However, what I've heard is that the canopy stays stuck on by air pressure after you pull all the handles, and you have to push it off. My bigger concern is the instrument panel. It's a fair chore to extricate my tired old bulk at the end of a flight sitting on the ground. I quail in horror at getting out against positive G, or at breaking my legs coming out in negative G. -- Matt

Tilt up panel for '19 is not particularly hard to do and has no significant effect on Wt & Bal. We've done a couple of them.
A look at "modern" Schleicher cockpits and canopies would be useful in determining how to get a similar result in older Schleicher gliders.
FWIW the best technique I've heard, if one could remember to do it is to cross arms so left hand grabs the right latch and Rt grabs left. Thus when canopy is released, you don't get hit in the kisser.
UH

Google