PDA

View Full Version : Komet surge brake

Tony V
October 23rd 12, 03:24 AM
I need to replace the surge brake damper on my 1986 Komet III trailer.
I'm wondering if someone out in ras land has a part number (or
equivalent) and replacement instructions. It appears that Entec, the
former Komet US representative, is no longer active.

I've seen Bruce Greeff's write up for Eberle trailers -
http://www.standardcirrus.org/Trailers.php

thanks in advance
Tony "6N"

Dave Nadler
October 23rd 12, 02:38 PM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:24:12 PM UTC-4, Tony V wrote:
> I need to replace the surge brake damper on my 1986 Komet III trailer.
> I'm wondering if someone out in ras land has a part number (or
> equivalent) and replacement instructions. It appears that Entec, the
> former Komet US representative, is no longer active.
>
> I've seen Bruce Greeff's write up for Eberle trailers -
>
> http://www.standardcirrus.org/Trailers.php
>
> thanks in advance
> Tony "6N"

Hey Tony - Why do you think the damper is the problem ?
Usually its not (just adjusted another trailer 2 weeks ago)...
See ya, Dave

Tony V
October 24th 12, 12:04 AM
On 10/23/2012 9:38 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
> On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:24:12 PM UTC-4, Tony V wrote:
>> I need to replace the surge brake damper on my 1986 Komet III trailer.
>> I'm wondering if someone out in ras land has a part number (or
>> equivalent) and replacement instructions. It appears that Entec, the
>> former Komet US representative, is no longer active.
>>
>> I've seen Bruce Greeff's write up for Eberle trailers -
>>
>> http://www.standardcirrus.org/Trailers.php
>>
>> thanks in advance
>> Tony "6N"
>
> Hey Tony - Why do you think the damper is the problem ?

Because I can activate the surge brake by hand by simply pushing the
coupler back and forth a few inches. There's hardly any resistance.

> Usually its not (just adjusted another trailer 2 weeks ago)...
> See ya, Dave

It would be nice if I was wrong. :-)

Tony

JJ Sinclair[_2_]
October 24th 12, 02:33 PM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 7:24:12 PM UTC-7, Tony V wrote:
> I need to replace the surge brake damper on my 1986 Komet III trailer.
>
> I'm wondering if someone out in ras land has a part number (or
>
> equivalent) and replacement instructions. It appears that Entec, the
>
> former Komet US representative, is no longer active.
>

> I've seen Bruce Greeff's write up for Eberle trailers -
>
> http://www.standardcirrus.org/Trailers.php
>

> thanks in advance
>
> Tony "6N"

If the dampner is shot, the trailer brakes will slam on and then release about twice per second when the tow vehicle is braking, making a chirping sound as your tires are eaten up..................ask me how I know
JJ

Wheaton
October 24th 12, 03:49 PM
Go on the trailer tongue and check the information on the data plate, probably Knott Ghb trailers. they are Komets source for these parts. Then send me an email so I can talk to through it. Easy once you know the drill. There are also adjustment instructions on Knott Ghb web site. I have a name in Germany with email who were terrific in working with me. pa12joe at aol..com.

I finally got a response from the Komet people with a price and it was considerable more costly.

JJB

Tony V
October 25th 12, 12:27 AM
On 10/24/2012 9:33 AM, JJ Sinclair wrote:
> On Monday, October 22, 2012 7:24:12 PM UTC-7, Tony V wrote:
>> I need to replace the surge brake damper on my 1986 Komet III trailer.
>>
>> I'm wondering if someone out in ras land has a part number (or
>>
>> equivalent) and replacement instructions. It appears that Entec, the
>>
>> former Komet US representative, is no longer active.
>>

>> I've seen Bruce Greeff's write up for Eberle trailers -
>>
>> http://www.standardcirrus.org/Trailers.php
>>

>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Tony "6N"
>
> If the dampner is shot, the trailer brakes will slam on and then release about twice per second when the tow vehicle is braking, making a chirping sound as your tires are eaten up..................ask me how I know
> JJ

Yup! I've learned to brake gently. That helps but.....

Tony, LS6-b "6N"

Tony V
October 25th 12, 12:29 AM
On 10/24/2012 10:49 AM, Wheaton wrote:
> Go on the trailer tongue and check the information on the data plate, probably Knott Ghb trailers. they are Komets source for these parts. Then send me an email so I can talk to through it. Easy once you know the drill. There are also adjustment instructions on Knott Ghb web site. I have a name in Germany with email who were terrific in working with me. pa12joe at aol.com.

Thank you! I will be visiting the trailer soon. :-)

Tony

> I finally got a response from the Komet people with a price and it was considerable more costly.
>
> JJB

C2
October 25th 12, 03:24 AM
On Monday, October 22, 2012 9:24:12 PM UTC-5, Tony V wrote:
> I need to replace the surge brake damper on my 1986 Komet III trailer.
>
> I'm wondering if someone out in ras land has a part number (or
>
> equivalent) and replacement instructions. It appears that Entec, the
>
> former Komet US representative, is no longer active.
>

> I've seen Bruce Greeff's write up for Eberle trailers -
>
> http://www.standardcirrus.org/Trailers.php
>

> thanks in advance
>
> Tony "6N"
Mark Mocho in Moriarty completely rebuilt my surge brake from scratch last year. I suspect there are only a few people who can do what he can do. If you are anywhere near Moriarty go see Mark.

Google